• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#21 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,772 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 22 January 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Our government now has an official Ministry of Propaganda and Disinformation. Stay strong, free press. Hold up the lantern of truth to reveal and unmask these lying scumbags.

http://www.mediaite....ellyanne-conway

This.  

Our only hope is a strong and independent free press.  The fact that it takes this kind of calamity for many to realize it, is astonishing.  But, OK, maybe Trump and his propaganda machine bring back an actual 4th Estate that serves the people, because government sure the hell ain't going to be doing it at any level.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#22 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

About the comparative aerial photos of the Mall being taken at different times. The '09 photo was taken at 12:01 PM, the one from this '17 inauguration at 11:59 AM. A difference of two minutes, eight years apart.

It bears repeating what Niko has said. If this president's Press Secretary will flat out lie about a demonstrably provable fact, one even so petty, what else can we expect him to lie about? Can we reasonably expect ANYTHING he says on behalf of this administration to be truthful or factual? What about in case of a national emergency or terroristic attack? What happens when this administration decides to trump up a small terroristic event (perhaps false flag created) or massive peaceful public protest into a call for martial law or other "emergency" curtailing of civil liberties? I honestly believe that this is where their constant whining about and attacking of the press is leading. To undermine reality and the reporting of it to where this administration feels it can get away with pretty much anything. Kellyanne Conway on ABC's "This Week" stated that the women's marches were an attempt to delegitimize this administration. What do authoritarian regimes do when they feel threatened and opposed? They crack down against opposition and protest. They control or shut down the press. They lie to manipulate. I predict before too long that public protests against the constant lying of Trumplethinskin and his lying minions will result in government initiated violence, like Kent State or worse. And that will ramp up the cycle and level of mass protest. Can our democracy survive, or will the USA become a clone of Russian suppression and dictatorship? LoTS, you may very well end up with that civil war you talked about back in November.

Edited by yadda yadda, 22 January 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#23 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 22 January 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

Regarding Sean Spicer's tongue lashing/Press Conference.

I was actually glad the Liberal mainstream media

Did you not read my post back there of the definition of Liberal? Both your Repellican rat-faced weasels and the Democrats are, by definition, Liberals.

When people like yourself use the term "Liberal", it's really a Righty calling a Democrat a n*gger.

What part of that do you not understand?

What you're really saying is "the n*gger democrats" and "the n*gger media".

Take your coded language and shove it up your loathsome, spotty arse. If you don't have the guts to simply come right out and say what it is you're really thinking, then shut your ignorant yap. Both holes, one on either side.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#24 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

Update on the white house petition for Trump to release his tax-returns. Kellyanne Conway said in one of her interviews today, in response to a question about this, that Trump was not going to release his tax returns, that this has already been "litigated" throughout the campaign, that people don't care, and this is (or could be considered?) the official white house response to the petition.

I am starting to think when Kellyanne Conway says "people" that that is codeword for Trump and/or his cronies. Either that, or she has a bad case of truthiness, either way, bad for the U.S. people.

- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#25 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:19 PM

The filthy, lying swine have control of the White House. Whee.

They don't give a rat's arse about facts or the truth. That in itself makes them illegitimate.

#26 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

View PostCait, on 22 January 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 22 January 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Our government now has an official Ministry of Propaganda and Disinformation. Stay strong, free press. Hold up the lantern of truth to reveal and unmask these lying scumbags.

http://www.mediaite....ellyanne-conway

This.  

Our only hope is a strong and independent free press.  The fact that it takes this kind of calamity for many to realize it, is astonishing.  But, OK, maybe Trump and his propaganda machine bring back an actual 4th Estate that serves the people, because government sure the hell ain't going to be doing it at any level.

While I am sure a lot of people in the media have been talking when the camera/microphone is off or in-between writing stories, that isn't enough.

I really hope that they are holding meetings on strategy planning and the like, and don't just plan to wing it and react, instead of act. They need to act purposefully, with the truth and substance being their purpose. And they need to expect that Trump and the administration will push back on whatever strategy that they have, and that the media will come out of this bruised even if they just demanding honesty and substance.

I think one thing is they have to realize that Trump wants the attention, and his administration want their narrative to get out there. All this chaff is distracting from where their attention and time should be spent, uncovering how they are implementing their agenda and what that means. So I think their real power is giving the POTUS a platform and automatic access to the American people, from which they can spew their lies to the people. They will cry foul and howl no matter what you do, unless you are servilely licking their boots, or just acting as stenographers. The media is already performing a pretty good Oliver-twist impression (please sir, can I have some more). But I think they will have to pull back from live coverage of POTUS events/press conferences. I don't mean to not cover them at all, but don't cover them on live-on-air. See what is said (or left unsaid) and decided whether to report on it after. Unless it is regarding a national emergency a couple hours on reporting their BS shouldn't matter.

Edited by sierraleone, 22 January 2017 - 05:58 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#27 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 22 January 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

Did you not read my post back there of the definition of Liberal? Both your Repellican rat-faced weasels and the Democrats are, by definition, Liberals.

When people like yourself use the term "Liberal", it's really a Righty calling a Democrat a n*gger.

Take your coded language and shove it up your loathsome, spotty arse. If you don't have the guts to simply come right out and say what it is you're really thinking, then shut your ignorant yap. Both holes, one on either side.

That's not what LoTS said at all. While I don't agree with much of what LoTS says, I'll take issue with what he actually does say, not what you falsely translate according to your own random jargon. There's enough "fake news", lies and distortion going around these days. Don't add to the problem.

#28 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 22 January 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

But I think they will have to pull back from live coverage of POTUS events/press conferences. I don't mean to not cover them at all, but don't cover them on live-on-air. See what is said (or left unsaid) and decided whether to report on it after. Unless it is regarding a national emergency a couple hours on reporting their BS shouldn't matter.
Yeah, this.  It was particularly bugging me during the press conference that the channel I had their little "headline" bolded-text area where they showcased key points of what was being said, and that area was showing, for example "Spicer: Media lied about numbers".  No one glancing at that text is going to parse it enough to realize that it's a direct quote from an illegitimate source, they're just going to see "Media lied about numbers" as the takeaway, which is exactly what donald and his cronies want.

(And gotta give credit to CNN, they apparently *did* decline to air the press conference live.  Here's hoping others get on that bandwagon.)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#29 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:22 PM

"Trumplethinskin" - I LOVE it!!!

The Chuck Todd/Kellyanne Conway confrontation was epic.  "Alternative facts" within that confrontation - likewise.
Cats will never be extinct!

#30 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

View PostThemis, on 22 January 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

"Trumplethinskin" - I LOVE it!!!

The Chuck Todd/Kellyanne Conway confrontation was epic.  "Alternative facts" within that confrontation - likewise.

I have also heard "Predator in Chief" (I think referring to all sorts of predatory behaviour, not just the obvious. Like stiffing workers, conning people with a fake University, etc.). But Trumplethinskin is also accurate and so much more mocking. I think he might like Predator in Chief, if he thought it was about his business "acumen".

You know, I would have had a lot more respect for K Conway if she just said something like "You know, you keep coming back to that question. That question is not important, that is why I am not answering it. Move on to something substantive." He is free to disagree with her, but it allows her the veneer of being honest and actually addressing the question (or at least her perceived substance of it). But no, she has got to re-interate the whole campaign strategy of shifting focus/blame/shade elsewhere. I guess it worked then why wouldn't it work now. :smirk:

- Masha Gessen

#31 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

I know humans are only human, but there is some sweet irony about the pick for Education Secretary making 4 grammatical mistakes in one tweet:

https://www.washingt...m=.b408c6adb706

- Masha Gessen

#32 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,985 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

The news media should just stop reporting anything Trump and his cronies say at this point, unless they're going to immediately say "and here's the truth, by comparison."

Of course, they should have been doing that for EVERYONE FOR YEARS...

#33 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

I was actually going to wait, til I had calmed down, before responding...then I said: "Screw it."

I'll begin with this:

Number ONE: You don't tell me what the F*ck to do. Get that through your thick LIBERAL skull. Period. Or, if you like, you can try and shove it up my ass...Don't think you'll like the outcome, as it probably won't end well for you.

As for your "claim" that the word Liberal is code word for the N word...I call BS on that. And trying to tell people what words they can and can't use, is part of the reason Trump won. People in the USA are sick and tired of damn PC police running off their mouths telling people what they can and can't say. And this whole PC thing about the word Liberal is because you claim it is code word for the N word??? Who the F*ck made you God, that this is so? Who put you in charge of what words mean?

Now we come to this part:

First, that is most definitely NOT what I said, no matter how you try and twist what I said. Don't put words in my mouth. Period. Second, while I do understand that the Left, or Liberals, absolutely LOVE to throw labels like racist around, you on the Left have overused that. It's almost like the boy who cried wolf. And when you actually encounter an honest to God actual racist, and you scream about it, nobody listens...they have tuned you out, because 9 times out of 10 that is all they ever hear from you: Racist this, racism that.

Here I was, trying to actually be fair minded, and you pull sh*t like this...You know what...F*ck it...Your saviour candidate lost, get use to the next 4 years, and God willing 8 years, of Trump as President. Conservatives survived the disaster that was Obama...you'll survive Trump.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#34 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:47 AM

LoTS, while you have every right to be annoyed with gsmonks (because what he said was wrong), but I do wish you had done so without dragging "Liberal" into it. While you say this is the problem, etc... you prove the other problem. You are calling someone a "Liberal" as the fall to attack. Well, he disagreed and said bad things about me, he is a dirty Liberal. Why isn't he a rude person all on his own?

I'm not a Liberal, but every time I disagree with some people, that is their first response (and with others, the first response is to call me a Conservative). As if that was the coup de gras. You could have posted that whole thing and done a better job by simply going after gsmonks for what he is, not for whatever group you think he belongs to.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#35 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:55 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 22 January 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

That's not what LoTS said at all. While I don't agree with much of what LoTS says, I'll take issue with what he actually does say, not what you falsely translate according to your own random jargon. There's enough "fake news", lies and distortion going around these days. Don't add to the problem.

He said, and I quote, "Liberal mainstream media," unquote. There is no "Liberal mainstream media". That is a lie. That is propaganda. That is Righty disinformation.

I'll point it out again, for those that somehow missed it: BOTH sides of the freaking aisle are Liberal, by definition.

Using the term "Liberal mainstream media" is on a par with calling non-whites niggers. It's a derogatory term that has no meaning beyond being a derogatory term. Capiche?

The thing about bigots and their terminology is that you can listen to them forever and never learn anything meaningful about the subject of their bigotry. Like bigots who don't know any people of colour personally, LoTS obviously doesn't know anyone working in the media industry.

People working in the media industry are trained, and train themselves, to not have a bias of any kind, because bias interferes with the news-gathering and reporting process. They are pretty damned impartial, and pride themselves on the fact.

The media over-all are not Left-leaning. It only appears to Righties to be that way because they're idiots, and when idiots aren't having their own idiot way, they lash out, and harangue those that point out their idiocy. So in their tiny, wee, pea-brains, the media become Left-leaning because the media aren't siding with themselves- the idiots and morons in society.

AND- the instant LoTS goes back to post in this thread or any other, he's going to go straight back to his loutish Righty ways, using terms like "Liberal mainstream media" as though nothing had happened.

Look, I've laid out of the facts before him, as have many others on this site over the years, and the facts haven't made the least dent in his thick skull. it's like talking to a tape recorder. Logic and Reason don't seem to penetrate.

#36 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 23 January 2017 - 01:09 AM, said:

I was actually going to wait, til I had calmed down, before responding...then I said: "Screw it."

I'll begin with this:

Number ONE: You don't tell me what the F*ck to do. Get that through your thick LIBERAL skull. Period. Or, if you like, you can try and shove it up my ass...Don't think you'll like the outcome, as it probably won't end well for you.

As for your "claim" that the word Liberal is code word for the N word...I call BS on that. And trying to tell people what words they can and can't use, is part of the reason Trump won. People in the USA are sick and tired of damn PC police running off their mouths telling people what they can and can't say. And this whole PC thing about the word Liberal is because you claim it is code word for the N word??? Who the F*ck made you God, that this is so? Who put you in charge of what words mean?

Now we come to this part:

First, that is most definitely NOT what I said, no matter how you try and twist what I said. Don't put words in my mouth. Period. Second, while I do understand that the Left, or Liberals, absolutely LOVE to throw labels like racist around, you on the Left have overused that. It's almost like the boy who cried wolf. And when you actually encounter an honest to God actual racist, and you scream about it, nobody listens...they have tuned you out, because 9 times out of 10 that is all they ever hear from you: Racist this, racism that.

Here I was, trying to actually be fair minded, and you pull sh*t like this...You know what...F*ck it...Your saviour candidate lost, get use to the next 4 years, and God willing 8 years, of Trump as President. Conservatives survived the disaster that was Obama...you'll survive Trump.

I rest my case. The facts, as I said, seem to have no power to penetrate your thick skull.

#37 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

Alternative facts belong in an alternative universe. Worryingly, I think they expect their alternative facts to change our universe into an "alternative" one than the one we have now, and not in a direction good for the people or this planet.

- Masha Gessen

#38 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

Moreover, Hillbilly was not my candidate. Bernie was, kinda, sorta. I was mightily incensed when the process was gerrymandered in Hillbilly the Dixiecrat's favour. So don't try putting words in my mouth.

#39 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 22 January 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

Oh I dunno, LoTS. You posted on here that if the electoral college screwed Trump you were going to get you some guns and burn this country down. Have you been visited by any LEO agencies? People can say quite a bit these days, apparently. Even your wonder savior, Trumplethinskin, advocated his followers exercise Second Amendment solutions on Hillary Clinton. Didn't really bring him any grief, just a few shout outs of praise from the crew at Fox and Friends and some extra votes from the crazy crowd.

No, haven't been visited by any LEO. And while my comment about armning myself, and letting the Country burn, if Hillary won was highly offensive, I don't think it rose to "Making a threat" level. Also, while Trump's comments about 2nd amendment people and Hillary could be considered making a threat, apparently threating or trying to attack Presidential candidates isn't a crime. I mean, they released the lunatic that tried to attack Trump when he was on stage. The guy rushed the podium, secret service detained him, and then they release him with no charges.

So while attacking Presidential candidates isn't a crime, based on the way they handled the guy trying to attack Trump; making threats against the President most definitely is. Now technically speaking Madonna didn't threaten Trump, she just said she wanted to blow up the White House. She never said blow it up while Trump was in it. Still, no sure the sercret service is going to make a distinction with those comments. The secret service doesn't have a sense of humor when it comes to threats against the President.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#40 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 22 January 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

Thank you.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users