375 replies to this topic

#361 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

WTFJHT, Day 93: Planet B.

- Demonstrations: On Earth Day, around the world, in 600 locations, demonstrators are held Marches for Science. "There is no PLANet B".
- Russia: Russia bombers fly near Alaska for the 4th time in 4 days. They did not enter American airspace, American and Canadian fighter jets intercepted the two military aircrafts flying around the north coast of Alaska.
- Surgeon General: Trump asked SG Vivek H Murthy, appointed by Obama, to resign. It was not immediately clear why, pure speculation is that it is due to the Murthy's position on gun control, and his position that gun violence is a public health issue requiring addressing.
- The Wall: No House or Senate member that representing territory on the U.S.-Mexico border have expressed support for Trump's 1.4 billion funding proposal.

Day 94: Rest easy.

- Immigration/DREAMers/DACA: AG Jess Sessions says DREAMers, like "everyone that enters the country unlawfully," are "subject to deportation." On Friday Trump said, "We aren't looking to do anything right now" about DREAMers and that young people protected under this policy "should rest easy." Yeah, comforting. /sarcasm.
- France's Presidential Election: Two outsiders, the far-right Le Pen, and the more centrist/geopolitical liberal(?) Macron advance to a to a runoff election to take place May 7th.
- Poll: 96% of Trump voters said they would support Trump again. 67% of all polled said that the Democratic Party is out of touch with the concerns of most Americans, the % saying that about the Republican Party is 62%

Day 95: Good Press.

- Possibly Government Shutdown: Trump still pushing for funding for his wall and the ACA/Obamacare repeal/replace as Congress returns from a break with spending bill required by Friday to keep government open.
- Senate Trump-Russia Investigation: has no full time staff. The seven part-time staffers working on it have no significant investigation experience, and no interviews with key individuals have been conducted. (so the thought that the dysfunction of the House/Nunes led investigation did not matter because there was a Senate investigation Americans could trust… Well, that just went down the drain.)
- Midterms: Republican donors/leaders/candidates worried that the midterms will be a referendum on Trump (did they see the poll from yesterday's WTFJHT? Sadly I don't think they have as much to fear as they think…)
- North Korea briefing: An unusual thing - the entire U.S. Senate have been invited to the White House for a North Korea briefing.  
- Corporate Taxes: Trump wants to cut them to 15%, even if it means loss of revenue, and likely to increase the procedural and partisan hurdles he faces in search of his first legislative victory. He tells staff he wants to prioritize reductions over deficit concerns.

Edited by sierraleone, 24 April 2017 - 05:34 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#362 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:26 PM

WTFJHT - Day 96: Confident.

Confident what? That the U.S. executive branch is down the toilet and causing the rest of the country to circle the drain precariously?

- Former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn: His Turkey lobbying has been linked to Russia, and he did not comply with the law when he did not report his $45K he received for a speech he gave to Russia-Today(RT) TV in Russia on his security clearance application.
- Sanctuary Cities: Judge blocked Trump's directive seeking to deny federal funding to "sanitary cities".
- Wall vs Government shutdown: White house is "confident" it will avert shutdown as Trump shows flexibility on his wall. He is open to delaying funding until September.
- Border Wall: May end up in international court. Mexico is worried wall will worsen flooding, and engineers believe the wall may violate a 47 year old treaty governing the shared waters of the Rio-grande.
- Syria: U.S. imposed sanctions on 271 Syrian government employees the U.S. said was responsible for producing chemical weapons and ballistic missiles.

Edited by sierraleone, 25 April 2017 - 05:29 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#363 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

RE "sanctuary cities", toldja months ago that Trump didn't have the legal authority to cut funding.

Similar nonsense with the dairy and softwood lumber tariffs. The US tries this every so many years, gets shot down (as it should) and overruled by the International Court every time. Big time-waster by ill-informed nits who don't know the first thing about international trade.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#364 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Should another thread be started for post-100 days? I mean we *could* make this the longest running thread in OT, if it isn't already (?).

I just hope we don't need a thread (whether one continuous thread or new ones started every 3-6 months) for 4 or more years….

If I did, I would probably start the new thread with the link to this one, plus the other Trump-related threads around, so they remain connected if anyone ever wants to look down these rabbit holes….

- Masha Gessen

#365 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

You could just label this one as pre-impeachment, and then another one afterward.  ;)

#366 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 25 April 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

You could just label this one as pre-impeachment, and then another one afterward.  ;)

*laughs* When impeachment proceedings start I will start a new thread with that somewhere in the title :D

I just figure before that starts we need to start a fair thread giving the POTUS a fair shake as we reflect on his first 100 days, you know? :)

- Masha Gessen

#367 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:28 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 25 April 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

I just figure before that starts we need to start a fair thread giving the POTUS a fair shake as we reflect on his first 100 days, you know? :)

Sorry, what? :blink:

;)
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#368 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:56 AM

^ :D

View Postgsmonks, on 25 April 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

Similar nonsense with the dairy and softwood lumber tariffs. The US tries this every so many years, gets shot down (as it should) and overruled by the International Court every time. Big time-waster by ill-informed nits who don't know the first thing about international trade.

Yeah. I left that out as I figured as it wouldn't be as great of interest to the American audience, but I certainly noticed that it made the WTFJHT list, after it has made the round on our news media for a number of days already :)

Edited by sierraleone, 26 April 2017 - 06:57 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#369 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

WTFJHT - Day 97: Ridiculous

- Tax Overhaul: Trump reveals his 1 page plan on tax reform. Included is reducing the corporate tax rate from 35% to 15%. His plan would drastically add to the national debt.
- Health Care Reform: Repeal and replace is back from the dead, which would allow the states to decide whether to waive the prohibition on charging sick people higher premiums.
- Funding bill: Appears it is probably going to be a one week extension while they attempt negotiating a longer plan next week.
- Sanctuary cities: Trump decries "ridiculous" Judge who ruled against him defunding sanctuary cities.
- National Monuments: Trump signs Executive Order to order a review for National Monuments and their protections, to determine if any National Monuments status/protection should be "rescinded, modified, or resized".
- Department of Justice: The new deputy attorney general, Rod Rosenstein, has been approved by the Senate. Since AG Jeff Sessions has recluses himself, Rod will be the one in charge of the Russia-Trump investigation at the DoJ.

- Masha Gessen

#370 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

So now I just heard on Andrea Mitchell's MSNBC program that 45 is tweethreatening to "break up" the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals because of his series of failed and unconstitutional EO's that have been blocked by that judicial body. Ms. Mitchell said "Mr. Attorney General, you're a lawyer and I'm not" and then asked her guest California Atty. General Javier Becerra if and how 45 could theoretically go about doing this. Becerra's answer was " well, I guess if he has a large enough temper tantrum he could do just about anything."

Does anyone here know if there's any truth to the Ca. Atty General's response? Does the Executive Branch of our Federal govt. have any such power over the separate but equal Federal Judicial system to do such a thing? I don't see how that's possible but then I'm not a lawyer either.

Edited by yadda yadda, 27 April 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#371 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 27 April 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

So now I just heard on Andrea Mitchell's MSNBC program that 45 is tweethreatening to "break up" the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals because of his series of failed and unconstitutional EO's that have been blocked by that judicial body. Ms. Mitchell said "Mr. Attorney General, you're a lawyer and I'm not" and then asked her guest California Atty. General Javier Becerra if and how 45 could theoretically go about doing this. Becerra's answer was " well, I guess if he has a large enough temper tantrum he could do just about anything."

Does anyone here know if there's any truth to the Ca. Atty General's response? Does the Executive Branch of our Federal govt. have any such power over the separate but equal Federal Judicial system to do such a thing? I don't see how that's possible but then I'm not a lawyer either.

In answer to my own question I checked around and saw that "breaking up" the 9th Circuit is a pipe dream that has long been batted around by conservatives. I'm not sure if it is within the purview of 45 but maybe the Congress. Fortunately it appears that breaking up is hard to do. But any legislative attempt would be to partition Federal Appeals Courts into different groupings or configuration by states. So instead of a more or less western states orientation of the current 9th Circuit it might be possible to realign the conservative western states (Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, etc) into a separate court of appeals from the evidently overly troublesome "liberal" California, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon grouping, largely longtime senior holdovers from the Carter administration. Supposedly this would be difficult to achieve without Democratic cooperation, according to the LA Times.

What's ironic and typical of 45's brand of idiocy is that the federal judge who blocked 45's sanctuary city EO and set off the tweet tirade against the 9th Circuit is not a member of the 9th Circuit Court. He is a judge of the Federal District Court, a level below the 9th Circuit, which would hear appeals from the District Court cases. 45 fires off misdirected tweets like he claimed on Fox his 59 Tomahawks were fired at Iraq, instead of Syria, until corrected by the Fox host. He just hates, one judge is as good as any other for his disparagement and bile.

Edited by yadda yadda, 27 April 2017 - 05:23 PM.

#372 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

WTFJHT - Day 98: Explicit.

- Flynn-Russia: Mike Flynn was explicitly warned by the Pentagon against accepting foreign payments with prior approval… in 2014!
- NAFTA: Trump said he will either renegotiate NAFTA or terminate it. Since the trade deal went through congress, it probably can't be properly undone by executive pen alone.
- Health care reform: GOP still divided over new plans at repeal/replacing the ACA. The latest plan has been endorsed by the far right/tea-party Freedom Caucus.
- Immigration/Sanctuary cities: AG Jeff Sessions vows to press legal fight on sanctuary cities despite a loss in court.

- Masha Gessen

#373 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

WTFJHT - Day 99: Weak.

- Spending Bill: Congress passed a short-term one week spending bill to avert government shut-down tomorrow, and are putting together a longer-term deal to fund the government to the end of fiscal year in September. A full proper budget has not been in place since the beginning of this fiscal in October 2016.
- Healthcare reform: The GOP short of votes for their new healthcare reform attempt, but they are still optimistic.
- Economy: Turns out the weakest performance in 3 years in this first quarter.
- Environment/drilling: Trump expands offshore drilling activity with new Executive Order, with the possibility of this to maybe include areas previously protected by prior President's EOs. This EO also reconsiders rules designed to prevent a repeat of the Deepwater Horizon disaster.

I heard a good one idea today. You know how the President hardly reads or looks at his Executive Orders before signing them. Someone needs to slip in a resignation letter ;)

- Masha Gessen

#374 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

Oh, and North Korea test-fires a ballistic missile. It appears to have failed as other recent missile test-fires have gone.

http://www.reuters.c...s-idUSKBN17U2XB

- Masha Gessen

#375 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 28 April 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

Oh, and North Korea test-fires a ballistic missile. It appears to have failed as other recent missile test-fires have gone.

http://www.reuters.c...s-idUSKBN17U2XB

It would be very comforting to find out that we had something to do with all these "failed" North Korean missile tests, either through some "Star Wars" type particle weapon or military cyber intrusion effort to interfere with their launches. Alas, it's likely just N. Korean incompetence and technical growing pains.

#376 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 27 April 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

Breaking up the 9th Circuit would take years of bipartisan effort if there was a desire/need to accomplish this. Unilateral action could only succeed through Draconian gerrymandering on the scale of a Fascist overthrowing of the present machinery of government, something Chicken Little attempted with the Constitution, and had a certain amount of success. Republicans at the time were so unnerved that they formed a bloc that reigned him (and Cheney & Rumsfeld) in, when they got a whiff of what the Neo-Cons were up to. That was essentially the end of the Neo-Con Movement at the time,.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users