So, what did Obama's Presidency mean to you? Did you love him, hate him, both at different times? His policies? How and why? What legislative/court/cultural accomplishments or changes do you assign him a good dose of responsibility? Did you find his use of unilateral executive actions a good thing in and of itself? How did you feel about what his executive actions accomplish? What will you miss, AND not miss, about Obama? And, finally, what (not who) did Obama represent, to you personally?
I honestly think we will remember him more for what he represented, than what he accomplished.
He obviously represented a lot to some people even with little action to show for it. I mean a fricken Noble Peace Prize in 2009, less than a year after he was first elected to the Presidency of a country in the midst of two wars?
Myself, I found Obama a centrist and pragmatist, sometimes frustratingly so. For example he didn't use the bully pulpit even when he could (I don't think we have any worry about the new POTUS not using it...). That was 2009-2010, when the U.S. had a Democrat supermajority. 2011 & on Obama was so often stymied by Republican legislative bodies that what little liberal agenda he may have had was blocked at every turn, other than executive actions.
Trying to remember his deeds, both good and bad, and this is what I recollect relatively readily:
- The economic bail-out after the 2008 crash.
- Cash for Clunkers.
- The Affordable Care Act.
- Repeal of DADT.
- His two SCOTUS appointments (Judge Sonia Sotomayor, and Judge Elena Kagan). Should have been 3.
-- Lots of other federal judge appointments in other courts.
- Normalizing the U.S.-Cuba relationship.
- Affirming UNDRIP. (United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People. U.S. voted against in 2007).
- Paris-Agreement on Climate-change.
- Lack of consitutional due process for perceived and actual threats and traitors. More continued than started, but that is a cop-out, it was used. Now the next Administration inherits it.
- Economic: Huge increase in National Debt, lowered unemployment rates.
- Weakening the DNC.
(Largely due to their recentness:)
- Abstaining from the U.N. vote on the controversial new Israel settlements
- Commuting sentence of Chelsea Manning
- Overhauling the Student Loan program (basically taking it away from the management by big bank Sallie Mae, which appears to have saved them money).
- His response to the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico
- DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals).
- Dragging medicine and health care into the digital age
- Climate Action Plan
- Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
- Just endeavouring to have data and evidence be central to his policy-making
Reading this long Politico article from a year ago it looks like he managed a lot of things quietly, without much fan-fare. Made me appreciate his pragmatism a bit more, getting the important "little stuff" done.
Anyways, that's it. Here is the thread to praise or complain about, or try to honestly evaluate, President Obama.
Edited by sierraleone, 21 January 2017 - 10:50 AM.