• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

KEVIN SMITH DIRECTS; ROULETTE RETURNS - Kara (Melissa Benoist) is moved by the story of a missing woman named Izzy (guest star Harley Quinn Smith) and decides to investigate despite Snapper Carr's (guest star Ian Gomez) order to leave it alone. Kara takes Mon-El (Chris Wood) with her to the last place Izzy was seen and the duo find themselves thrust through a portal to another planet, Slaver's Moon, where the downtrodden are sold as slaves. The leader of the trafficking ring is none other than Roulette (guest star Dichen Lachman). To make matters worse, Slaver's Moon has a red sun, which means Kara and Mon-El are stripped of their powers and stuck on the planet with no way home. Meanwhile, back on Earth, Alex (Chyler Leigh) blames herself for Kara's disappearance, fearing she's become too focused on her new relationship with Maggie (guest star Floriana Lima) and too complacent in watching out for her sister.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

I loved this episode. It was a great episode to return on.

Kara's heroism really shined through here. She wasn't going to give up on finding that girl just because everyone else did. Then, even though she was powerless, she wasn't going to stop trying to rescue everyone who had been taken. When she refused to move even though she was being electrocuted she showed that she truly is a hero.

This was a big episode for Mon-El as well. It looks like any doubt about him being the prince is erased now. That Dominator (and yay for seeing a Dominator show up) protected him and even bowed to him. The way Mon also said that the prince wasn't anyone to look up to made it seem like he was talking about himself. Now it looks like Mon is inspired by Kara and wants to be a hero himself, with a costume. That's going to make Winn so happy.

Speaking of, Winn had some good moments in this episode. While he's helped Kara since day one, for the most part he's stayed out of the danger. This episode was probably the closest he has come to being physically hurt and almost killed and of course it scared him. His reaction was perfectly normal. Still, I loved that he regained his confidence at the end and his excitement at the end about how he protects space cracked me up. Still, I don't want Winn to suddenly become some butt kicking hero. That's just not who his character is.

Alex also had a strong showing this episode. She's finally happy, and then she thinks the universe is taking it away. It was a strong showing by Chyler Leigh. Having her come out and be in a relationship with Maggie has really done wonders for her character. Still, I'm afraid that her freak out has hurt her relationship with Maggie.

Jimmy didn't have much to do this episode but I loved his back and forth with Kara about whether Guardian was a help or a hindrance. Kara's insistence that she she did all the work because she was the one dodging missiles was funny.

I expected Roulette to have more to do but she really didn't. Kind of disappointing.

Kara and Mon-El have great chemistry together. Their banter is really amusing. I liked how this episode had them talking about the different planets they had visited when they were younger. It's a nice reminder that neither of them grew up on Earth.

Daxam had slavery. Interesting tidbit.

Mon-El as a bartender is a much better fit than him trying to be an intern at a media corporation. He's at least somewhat familiar with alcohol. Nice to see that his bad work ethic is still intact.

The CGI in this episode was really well done. It's the first time the show has spent any time off planet and they did a good job with it.

Jo Gunraf was pretty funny. Wonder if he will pop up again?

Kevin Smith did a good job directing the episode. I read that he's going to come back and direct another one. Very happy about that.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

Alright, Snapper's comments about coffee and danishes is SO me in the morning, minus the danish part. LOL.

I both like this episode, and hated a big part of it at the same time.

Loved the action, loved the interactions between Kara and Mon, but at the same time Kara was incredibly stupid here. On a strange world, with no powers, exactly what was her plan here? And just surrendering was the most idiotic plan ever. There was no guarantee they would be placed with the others? Hell if they were selling humans, there was no guarantee all those taken would still be there. Which brings me to my biggest problem with what Kara did. She promised the mother she would bring the daughter back. When she made that promise, she had no way of knowing if she would be able to keep it. And that promise just irked me...I was actually hoping the daughter would get killed, just so Kara would have to tell the mother she had failed.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

^^^ Well, in fairness, making such an unsecured promise is pretty much a standard TV Trope.

Kara's first concern is to settle the distraught person, so she makes the promise.  The next step is to figure out just how the heck she can fulfill that promise ... but yeah, I hear you.  It would have been more valid, if less comforting, for Kara to promise to do her best to locate and return the lady's daughter.

/s/

Gloriosus
he G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 25 January 2017 - 11:51 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

I get where you're coming from LoTS re: Kara's promise and her decision to surrender but they didn't bother me too bad. I agree that promising to find the woman's daughter was a mistake. Still, I chalk that up to Kara still being relatively new to the hero-ing business and without a cynical edge to temper such wild promises. When she made that promise it reminded me of an arc in the Supergirl comics (pre-New 52) where she promised to help a boy not knowing he took it as her promising to cure his cancer. She then tried to do just that, and failed. It was actually a rather bad, meandering plot and one of the low points of that series, but it is the first thing that popped in my head. Luckily Kara had more luck here.

I do agree that surrendering was a bad option, but by that point there were no good options. She had to take a risk, and in this case it worked in her favor. I'd like to point out that she did originally tell Mon-El to go get help so she was thinking ahead a little bit.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users