• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,985 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

http://www.thefreeth...g-alternatives/

A relatively small online magazine, but still!

I submitted a paper to an academic journal last night, too. We'll see how that goes.

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

That's awesome! Congratulations. Fingers crossed that you get into the academic journal as well.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,772 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Congratulations.  For a writer, there is nothing quite like your first published by-line.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Congratulations!
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

Congratulations!

#6 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

That's awesome, Omega! Very happy for you.  :)

#7 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

Congratulations!
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#8 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

More congrats!! Especially since it's such an important topic.
Cats will never be extinct!

#9 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

Congratulations! I took a couple minutes to read it. I don't know if it is because I have read a little about alternative voting systems, in any case I found your article really easy to follow and understand, more so than when I did some reading in the past.

:thumbs-up:
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#10 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

Way to go!
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#11 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:18 PM

Thanks, everyone!

My journal article got rejected by one journal, they said it wasn't a good fit. So I found another journal! (With blackjack! And hookers!) I've submitted two papers there.

I've never had an academic paper published. For some reason I find the idea very desirable.

My next article, if I can find a magazine interested, will be on the effects of winner-take-all.

#12 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

Here's hoping for continued success, Omega. Maybe you should consider submitting it to a historical periodical or society review, since in the near future, elections may become a simple quaint anachronism.

#13 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

Another article at the same magazine:
http://www.thefreeth...rfect-election/

I'm still working on finding someone to publish my article on winner-take-all in the electoral college. The Atlantic turned it down, so now I'm waiting on Reason.

Three journals have rejected my first paper outlining electoral engineering, just submitted to the American Journal of Political Science.

I submitted one on high-frequency elections to Science, Technology, and Human Values. Waiting for a reply there.

My next article will be on quantization error in election design, and the addition of random factors to the outcome to correct it.

This is fun!

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

Congratulations again. I'm glad that you've been published again and have my fingers crossed you can get your winner-take-all article published as well.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#15 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

Congratulations Omega! :D
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#16 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

Rather than start a new thread every time I go off on some new electoral tangent, I figure I'll just keep updating this one...

I'm working on a paper now that considers quantization error in elections; there are a large number of possible vote counts, but only a couple possible outcomes, which means some data gets lost. Whether a candidate gets 51% or 99% of the vote, the same candidate wins, and there's absolutely no difference. This is comparable to what happens if you take an image and reduce the color depth from grayscale to black-and-white. (Or in this case, purplescale to red-and-blue.)

In digital systems this is fixed with dithering, which inserts a random element. This changes one of the most fundamental aspects of our elections: that they're deterministic, based entirely on the vote counts. But what if getting 70% of the vote isn't an overwhelming victory, but only means you have a 70% chance of winning the random draw? Suddenly politicians have to pay much more attention to everyone, not just their base in their gerrymandered district. Terms have to get much shorter than two, four, or six years, on a scale of months now. Every vote counts, no matter who you are or where you are.

Of course, you now have to redesign every last bit of parliamentary procedure around the possibility that your members will be swapping out every month. And there's no way this works for executives. But for legislative bodies it might actually work. I've run simulations using real-world input data, and it's really impressive how closely the average result tracks straight proportional representation, even with gerrymandered maps.

#17 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

I appreciate and am awestruck by your insights and questing inroads into election dynamics and processes. But I'm beginning to feel we might just be better off with two men enter, one man leaves as our decision making standard.  ;)

#18 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,598 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:20 AM

Er... why does EITHER candidate have to walk out alive? Asking for a friend.

Speaking of which: our estimable Omega is too humble to tell you he was awarded a CFEI (Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator) today. Because ... who else would you choose?

Keep up the winning streak!

-- Orpheus "If he'd been on duty in the Richmond Administration, Designated Survivor would've been a 3-part mini-series"

#19 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Well, the starfire wheel worked great for the Minbari for a very long time...

#20 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

Well, my papers have been rejected by Electoral Studies, Science Technology and Human Values, American Journal of Political Science, Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, and Election Law Journal. I'm on to the Journal of Theoretical Politics. If that doesn't work, there's American Politics Research...

This is harder than writing the papers!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users