6 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

http://www.reuters.c...p-idUSKBN15F1OW

Gorsuch is a judge on the Denver-based 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and was appointed to that post by Republican President George W. Bush in 2006.
Gorsuch is considered a conservative intellectual, known for backing religious rights, and is seen as very much in the mold of Scalia, a leading conservative voice on the court for decades.

He is also quite young for SCOTUS, age 49. Clarence Thomas was younger, 43, when he was tapped.

I expect a contentious confirmation battle, and would not be surprised if the Travel/Immigration Ban comes up in confirmation hearings.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,772 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

I'm researching his decisions now.  So, far, while I don't like his decisions, he is a pretty standard conservative.  I want him stopped because it's the only branch of government that's not corrupted by Trump.  But, I never get what I want.  LOL

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:48 PM

Yes, he's a typical Repellican SCROTUM.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostCait, on 31 January 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

I'm researching his decisions now.  So, far, while I don't like his decisions, he is a pretty standard conservative.  I want him stopped because it's the only branch of government that's not corrupted by Trump.  But, I never get what I want.  LOL

I've heard him described as right of Scalia, now they were probably a biased source ;) But I am not sure I'd put him in the pretty standard conservative category anymore.

Have you heard or read about the "frozen trucker case" about a trucker named Alphonse Maddin? Gorsuch ruled it was legally alright for Maddin to be fired after he disobeyed a supervisor and abandoned the trailer that he was driving, which he did because he was on the verge of freezing to death. Literally, it was -28 F outside IIRC. Seven judges that heard this case ruled in favour of the employee, Gorsuch was the only judge to rule against him. Here is a short Washington post article on it.

- Masha Gessen

#5 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:21 AM

If Gorsuch can last hours in an unheated truck, not just one hour (though I suspect he wouldn't last an hour), but hours in below zero temps, then he can rule on the trucker's case. I think he should give it a try, with Maddin in a nicely heated car, as one of the witnesses.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

Headlines are saying the filibuster option has been nuked for all judicial nominees including the Supreme Court now.

Some will say the liberals should have not obstructed this time... I disagree. It lays bare that bipartisanship is gone. Bipartisanship requires both sides to co-operate, and one could argue til the cows come home about which party is more intransigent, but considering the obstruction by the GOP during Obama's terms, and their inability even now to compromise among each other (see the failed Trump/Ryan-don't-care), it is fairly obvious one group decided to opt out completely, until they could come back to the playing field in greater numbers. And as the parties have pulled (socially, not corporately) further away from each other they have less ability to work together.

This nuking of re filibuster option was either happening now or in the next almost 4 years. For it not to happen it depended on either no USSC justices either retiring/dying, the GOP respecting their Dem opposition, Trump/Pence nominating a centrist (or leftist, ha!) justice the Dems could vote for (after passing Gorsuch), or Dems caving again to save the filibuster.

There was little way, if the Dems let Gorsuch through, that this didn't have a good chance of happening again, with a new vacancy, even if that vacancy was due to a conservative justice retiring/passing away.

- Masha Gessen

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

This was inevitable. This happening was SO obvious, ever since Harry Reid first changed the rules of the Senate to pack courts with Ideologs, rather then with actual Judges. Yes, technically speaking they are Judges, but anyone who uses Ideology, rather then the law, to decide cases shouldn't be considered a Judge.

So, we have Reid changing the rules of the Senate, which is what made this possible. Oh, and Democrats, this is what that coming back to bite you in the a$$ looks like. Speaking of things coming back to bite you in the a$$...Republicans, if you're listening, if you think going Nuclear like this isn't going to come back and bite YOU in the a$$, you are sadly mistaken. Eventually the pendulum will swing back to the Democrats, who will then be in the Majority, and you will SO regret going Nuclear. Much like I suspect the Democrats are regretting Reid's decision to change senate rules, making this possible.

The Democrats filibust was nothing short of pure revenge for Obama's last nomination, Garland. Pure and simple. And Schumer saying "Oh the GOP should give us a nominee we can confirm". Everytime I saw that clip, I kept hearing Obama's words: "Elections have consequences." Per the Democrats Lord and Savior, Obama, if you loose the election you are pretty much sh*t out of Luck. Yet Schumer still seems to think there are no consequences for loosing the elections. Go figure.

I'm glad the Republicans actually fought back this time, showed a little spine, and didn't cave to the Democrats. But going Nuclear is going to come back and bite them, without doubt.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: POTUS, 2017, Trump, SCOTUS, Scalia

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users