Richard Hatch Passes Away...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

I just found out that Richard Hatch, best known as Apollo from BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and as Tom Zarek on its reimagining, has just passed away today.  It says from pancreatic cancer.

I am really sad, because he was one of those actors who truly loved being with the fans and talking with them.

He was a regular at DragonCon.  Years ago, when I was part of a BSG forum, he was nice enough to arrange with me an online interview with other members of the forum.

He originally said he would only be able to do it for an hour or so, but he told me had so much fun that we ended up having over 2 and a half hours with him.  It was a great and fun experience, and he was always a pleasure to talk to over the years whenever I encountered him at DragonCon.

Rest in peace.  You will be missed.

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

Sad news.  :(   I need to pull out my old DVD's from original!Galactica... It was one of the earliest shows that I remember being certifiably obsessed with.  It had its goofy elements, but the camaraderie among the characters was the biggest highlight for me.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,372 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

R.I.P
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:38 PM

This is shocking news. I didn't even know that he was sick. I wasn't a big fan of either version of Galactica, but he was a cool character actor and a genuinely nice person.  My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP, Richard Hatch.  :(
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

That's really sad. I was far too attached to original Galactica, though always prefered Dirk Benedict's Starbuck. (Benedict unfortunately turned into a person I'd want nothing to do with if you paid me -- so much for that...) I've been looking back and thinking, "Aw, Richard, sorry I tended to overlook you." (Yeah, he also did a good job in the Galactica reboot, but Zarek was a frackin' creep, however much Hatch thought otherwise.)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,084 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:46 PM

^^^ Probably because Apollo in the original series was the earnest straight-arrow, whereas Starbuck fell into the lovable rogue category, which arguably proves to be the more popular of the two types.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 1XMCfan

1XMCfan
  • Islander
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

RIP, wasn't Mr. Hatch heavily involved in getting a new "Galatica" going--but he wanted original actors?

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

He was trying very hard to do that at one time, many years ago.  But that was before nuBSG.  I think he actually filmed a demo for it, but I'm not sure.  It's kind of a shame that it never happened-- he really had a lot of enthusiasm for the show and his fans.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

Before Galactica reboot, he also cowrote a batch of Galactica novels that came across a lot like bad fanfic. (I read a couple, but... *sigh*, no thanks.)

- Masha Gessen

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

I didn't know about the books. Guess he should have hired a ghostwriter, like Shatner did.

#11 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:57 PM

Oh, he did hire ghostwriters (including Christopher Golden), who were credited as cowriters. It's just that they weren't terribly good, IMHO.

- Masha Gessen

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

Oh, that's too bad.  He was certainly very sincere and enthusiastic.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users