Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

TW for child sexual abuse in the first flashback

Posted Image

Episode 43: Revealed Intentions

As McGillis' carefully-laid plan plays out mostly as intended (for now), we-the-audience finally get more details of McGillis' personal history, and they're horrible.

Spoiler
Somehow, knowing McGillis' history makes him both more and less sympathetic; I can certainly agree with his very personal reasons for wanting to see Gjallarhorn's nobility burn, but (like Sasuke over in Naruto), he makes the mistake of thinking he's in this alone when he had allies who would have helped him entirely voluntarily if he hadn't used and betrayed them. (Given what we saw in S1, I have to assume that upstanding, compassionate, heart-on-his-sleeve Gaelio would've gone on a one-man warpath if he'd known about any of this. McGillis would've been the one needing to hold him back.)

I also stand by my earlier observation that McGillis is a monster (made so, we now see, by his dog-eat-dog upbringing) who is genuinely improving the world, while Gaelio remains a decent man turned to tyranny in the name of vengeance. Gaelio taking the time to apologize to Mikazuki for misjudging Tekkadan has not escaped me.  

For that matter, I still think Julieta has the potential to become a hero; a deeply moral person trapped by loyalty to an unworthy master.

Julieta and Yamazin's conversation intrigues me; Julieta associated the Alaya-Vijnana System with Ein's rampage, but didn't seem to know that Tekkadan uses it until Yamazin pointed it out. I wonder how liberal Gjallarhorn has been with that information. Julieta's question about Vidar/Gaelio's "own free will" suggests she's already aware that Gjallarhorn is willing to force good people into horrible things.

I'll also note that the pseudo Alaya-Vijnana system is another step closer to binary bonding after Ein was turned into a Go-Bot last season.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gundam, mecha, military science fiction, trigger warning: sexual abuse

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users