• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

When Mr. Mxyzptlk (guest star Peter Gadiot), a magical imp, shows up on Earth and declares his love for Kara (Melissa Benoist), she tries to let him down easy, thinking him harmless. However, he decides it's a challenge and starts to wreak havoc on National City. Mon-El (Chris Wood) has seen beings like Mr. Mxyzptlk on Daxam and knows how dangerous they can be. He and Kara argue over how to get rid of Mr. Mxyzptlk, further straining their relationship. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (Floriana Lima) celebrate their first Valentine's Day together.

Read more: Listings - SUPERGIRL on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz4ZEtRF8D1

This looks like it's going to be a really fun episode.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

I wonder how they'll pronounce Mixxle-Pixxle.  I've always just said Mixxle-Pixxle.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:18 PM

He popped up in the last minute of the previous episode, and announced himself.  Hmm, I think there is a promo online, let me check...

Well there is, but he doesn't say it:  :lol:

From what I remember it sounded something like "mix-is-pit-ilk" ... not sure if I have conveyed it in writing ... maybe "mix-is-spittle-k".  :shrug:  :lol:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

Ok, here's a sneak peek, and I was close!  ;)  He says it about 20 seconds in:

I guess that sounds more like "mixys-pitlick"

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 20 February 2017 - 06:24 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

"Mrs. Spitlick?"  :lol:

The funny thing is that it was meant to be unpronounceable-- and the only way to get him back to his home dimension was to trick him into saying it backwards.  I don't think they ever anticipated that he would be on a TV show.

And, yes, I am disappointed that he's not a midget in a purple derby.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

And here's the original "Bride of Mixxle-Pixxle:"

Posted Image

This is my Supergirl, the one I used to read about back in the 60s.  :wub:

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for the videos, Sci-Fi GIrl.

I absolutely loved this episode. It was fun and sweet and finally got Kara and Mon-El together. Mxy was terrific and I hope he shows up again soon.

I know this makes me incredibly shallow, but one of the highlights of the episode was Mon-El in his underwear. I mean, damn. :eek3: That should be his superhero costume. Seriously though, I wish they would go ahead and give him his costume already.

I was really afraid that the alien woman (can't remember her name) that Winn is attracted to was somehow a manifestation from Mxyzptlk. I wasn't sure why she would be but it seemed too random that a good looking, blonde, strong alien would fall that fast for Winn. I am so glad that so far she really does seem to like him for him. He better not get his heart crushed again.

It was nice to see the show acknowledge that aliens are now free to move about in America and are more or less considered citizens. They haven't really done anything with that plot since President Wonder Woman signed the bill into law. Sure, Cadmus has raised a fuss about aliens but we haven't seen aliens interacting in a regular setting with humans outside the DEO or the bar.

I wonder if there's a behind the scenes reason Mehcad Brooks has been absent so much. I mean, it feels like it's every other episode with him. Which sucks, because the writers are giving him lots to do this season. He's been killing it as Guardian, but seeing him struggle to run CatCo has been interesting as well. He has better story lines this season yet it doesn't feel like he's being used to his full potential.

LIke I said, Mxy was great this episode. No, he's not a short imp wearing a bowling hat but they kept his essence alive. His impishness was on full display here. He used his powers to great effect and worked in a lot of good gags. He felt like the Mxy from the comics.

They even kept the whole "He has to say his name backward to get rid of him" aspect of his character. Kara's plan was genius. She got him to spell it backwards, which is apparently the same as getting him to say it backwards. The episode did make me feel bad for him as he said he just wanted someone to love him.

They mentioned that other imps exist so I wonder if they'll bring in Vyndktvx? He was an evil imp introduced in Grant Morrison's New 52 Action Comics run that tried to kill Mxy and Superman. It would be cool to see him on the show and truly using his powers for evil. Mxy may have done some bad things, but nothing he did truly hurt anyone. Vyndktvx wouldn't hold back like that.

Okay, I know Parasite was just Mxy using his powers but I wonder if he still exists? He's too good of a villain not to be seen again and that would be a good way to bring him back.

"Mrs. Spitlick?"  :lol:

The pronunciation here seemed to be the same as the one from Smallville, and was pretty close to how I always thought it would sound.

Did you ever watch the live action Superboy show from the late 80s/early 90s? They featured Mxy in the first and second seasons IIRC and he was pretty close to the comics, wearing the hat and everything.

Mon-El had a strong showing here, with jealousy rearing its ugly head and also some insecurity. Mon-El really is new to truly loving someone and he probably is afraid that he's not good enough for Kara. He's probably also used to women doing what he says (since he probably was the prince) and Kara is an extremely independent woman who can take care of herself.

The Alex/Maggie scenes were so sweet. I can feel Alex's pain. I've never been dating someone when Valentine's Day has rolled around so I'd probably want to go all out the first time just like her. Maggie did have a good reason for not liking the holiday since it's what outed her to her parents and they sent her away. I loved that she looked past her personal hang-ups and gave Alex the day romantic night she wanted.

Always nice to see the Fortress. The CGI on Jor-El's statue was done well. It was never really a threat to Kara but added a little spice to the final take-down of Mxy.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#8 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

I absolutely loved this episode!  The banter between Kara and Mon-El was great.  They referenced the idea that writing was like speaking in some cultures to justify the backwards name being spelled instead of spoken thing.  It felt like cheating to me (not to mention the Kryptonian alphabet having exact Earth equivalents) but what the heck, it was fun.
Cats will never be extinct!

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

View PostThemis, on 21 February 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

I absolutely loved this episode!  The banter between Kara and Mon-El was great.  They referenced the idea that writing was like speaking in some cultures to justify the backwards name being spelled instead of spoken thing.  It felt like cheating to me (not to mention the Kryptonian alphabet having exact Earth equivalents) but what the heck, it was fun.

I totally agree about the banter. Their argument in the DEO was fantastic. Even when arguing they have great chemistry. I loved that Mon-El knew Kara would bring up his Daxamite heritage.

Yeah, the fact that the Kryptonian alphabet lined up so perfectly with English was strange but like you I was willing to overlook it, especially since the episode did set up that writing something was like saying it.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#10 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

And Mxy's been defeated by writing at least once before, in Superman: the Animated Series. He manifested a rocket and Superman got Mxy to chase him.

". . . I sky-wrote my own name. Backwards."
"Twice."
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:27 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 20 February 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

Did you ever watch the live action Superboy show from the late 80s/early 90s? They featured Mxy in the first and second seasons IIRC and he was pretty close to the comics, wearing the hat and everything.  
That's interesting. I don't believe I ever saw any episodes of that show.  I'm sure you must have read the final pre-Crisis Superman story "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow" by Alan Moore, which gave a rather interesting explanation for Mxyzptlk's silly appearance.

#12 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

And Mxy's been defeated by writing at least once before, in Superman: the Animated Series. He manifested a rocket and Superman got Mxy to chase him.

". . . I sky-wrote my own name. Backwards."
"Twice."

I don't remember that at all. Guess it's time to re-watch the animated series.

That's interesting. I don't believe I ever saw any episodes of that show.

It's good, in a cheesy kind of way. The first season is okay, but the show really starts to get good with the second season. The actor playing Superboy gets replaced and the show decides to embrace its comic book roots more and brings in more elements from the comics and just goes crazier with Clark fighting more supernatural and alien threats. There are some genuinely good episodes throughout all four seasons and some that I would say are just great Superboy/man stories that every fan should watch. All the seasons are on DVD (the last three on On Demand and can be purchased online only). Might be worth checking out.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#13 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:20 PM

Was it me or was it odd how much Earth stuff Mon El gets already?

I mean, two of them I brushed off
- Siberia is obviously a bad place in context
- "relationship pearls" *laughs* I supposed one might figure out the context he is being asked for advice.

So, okay, ignoring those. But….

Really, Mon-El knows what Vera Wang(sp?) is? I mean, am I just suppose to imaging that he met, and humoured, some fashionistas or bridezillas enough while bar keeping to not only know what Vera Wang is, but recognize the wedding dress Mr Mxyzptlk put on Kara?
Or is Mon-El a fan of fashion? I mean, I suppose he could be. And it wouldn't be that against stereotype for a Prince, if that is what he actually is. But still, I want some evidence of something like that before an alien is suddenly recognizing specific designer's wedding dresses on the fly! :D Maybe Mon-El and Winn have a bro-mance over clothing and fashion off-scene that we don't know about :D
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#14 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 25 February 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

:D Maybe Mon-El and Winn have a bro-mance over clothing and fashion off-scene that we don't know about :D

Ooooh - I like it!!
Cats will never be extinct!

#15 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

View PostThemis, on 25 February 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on 25 February 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

:D Maybe Mon-El and Winn have a bro-mance over clothing and fashion off-scene that we don't know about :D

Ooooh - I like it!!

Not even that hard to imagine how they struck off. I mean Mon-El was apprenticing to be a SuperHero, and I am pretty sure there was an public exchange once about Mon-El wanting a costume and/or Winn offering/asking to make it. One could easily imaging them having a private exchange later more in detail about said costume :)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 25 February 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

It's good, in a cheesy kind of way. The first season is okay, but the show really starts to get good with the second season. The actor playing Superboy gets replaced and the show decides to embrace its comic book roots more and brings in more elements from the comics and just goes crazier with Clark fighting more supernatural and alien threats. There are some genuinely good episodes throughout all four seasons and some that I would say are just great Superboy/man stories that every fan should watch. All the seasons are on DVD (the last three on On Demand and can be purchased online only). Might be worth checking out.  
That sounds good.  If there's a TV series about a comic book, it really should be like the comic book.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users