• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

NASA has announced that it will be issuing an announcement!

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017, to be precise.

Will it be a real announcement? Or will it be more b.s. clickbait?

NASA is saying that this won't be just any announcement. It will, so says NASA, a HUGE announcement.

What could NASA possibly mean by this? That magazines and periodicals carrying their Huge Announcement will be using a very large font?

The Huge Announcement allegedly concerns exoplanets. The only noteworthy finding that comes to mind is a spectroscopic finding showing either atmospheric pollutants or oxygen.

Anything less is clickbait.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 JudasRimmer

JudasRimmer

Emperor of Incompetence

• Islander
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

Is an announcement about an announcement still an announcement or just a statement? ;)

This is it,anyway:

"Astronomers have detected a record seven Earth-sized planets orbiting a single star. The researchers say that all seven could potentially support liquid water on the surface, depending on the other properties of those planets. But only three are within the conventional "habitable" zone where life is considered a possibility..."

Full story here : http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-39034050

Dave.

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Well, there it is, in all its glory. Clickbait.

"Earth-like" to them has to do with size and position.

"Earth-like" in reality  = "able to support Life as we know it".

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 17,362 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:19 AM

Yeah, you people on Earth-That-Was never give the Firefly 'Verse any respect.

#5 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

Heh- what the heck happened to Firefly, anyway? It was yet another sci-fi show carried on CTV for a few episodes, only to vanish.

CTV has a nasty habit of doing that.

#6 Orpheus

Orpheus

• Administrator
  • 17,362 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

It went off the air before it even aired all of its already-filmed episodes.

Fox has said it didn't like the fact that it was about "nobodies, who are crushed by policy" instead of the policy makers.

So naturally....

#7 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

Why on Earth would Fox give a rat's arse about a show's content? If it'll air a show about two broke skanks with no redeeming qualities, FireFly should be a no-brainer.

#8 Orpheus

Orpheus

• Administrator
  • 17,362 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

Well, you hit it on the head. Fox wants no-brainers(*). Firefly had brains.

(*) It's a workplace safety thing. Given the nature of FOX programming chiefs, if a show has brains, Zombie/Reaver apocalypse inevitably ensues.

#9 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

That does seem to be a failing, not just of Fox, but all networks, that they want the "sure thing".

They don't seem to realise the implicit double entendre . . .

Speaking of sci-fi, I've hit a brick wall and can't seem to get past it, writing, reading, and/or watching, and it's tied to the present state of propulsion technologies; demonstrating once again that the state of (a) technology has a profound effect on creativity.

If you can imagine zipping around the stellar-verse, you can envision stories reflective of that. If the journey becomes excruciatingly slow, the slow-boat-to-nowhere becomes the backdrop to little dramas that unfold on board. Different type of story-writing altogether, and about the crew, not sci-fi by any stretch of the imagination.

- the crabapple tree outside my window just filled with Bohemian waxwings, pecking away at last Fall's shrivelled fruit-

There are similarities to the Western Migration in the US. Slow going in covered wagons, took up to 3 years or so, the Migration took on a life of its own.

The sci-fi audience doesn't tend to be interested in grinding survival stories, however. So the reality no longer resembles the genre.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users