2 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

TERI HATCHER ("DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES," "LOIS & CLARK: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN") AND KEVIN SORBO ("HERCULES") GUEST STAR; DARREN CRISS ("GLEE") MAKES HIS DEBUT AS THE MUSIC MEISTER - A new villain (guest star Teri Hatcher) comes to National City, putting Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) on high alert. Meanwhile, Winn's (Jeremy Jordan) girlfriend, Lyra (guest star Tamzin Merchant), gets Winn in trouble with the law. Maggie (guest star Floriana Lima) attempts to help Winn but old loyalties get in the way. The Music Meister (Darren Criss) attacks Supergirl.

Read more: Listings - SUPERGIRL on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz4bsGhkC26

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

Another strong episode. There was definitely a lot to love here. I liked that the A and B plots were tied thematically together by both Kara and Winn learning that their lovers lied to them and having to deal with the consequences of those lies.

What most fans have suspected for a long time has come true: Mon-El is the Prince of Daxam. His parents, Rhea and Lar-Gand, have traveled the stars looking for him after getting his message that he sent early on in the season.

The scenes between the rulers, Mon-El, and Supergirl were great. They crackled with energy and some funny and tense moments. The Daxamites and Kryptonians have such different world views that of course Kara was going to clash with the rulers and of course she wasn't going to just sit there and let them justify slavery and everything else.

Mon-El's true story of how he survived was incredibly sad. Basically, he was a coward who left his people behind and fled the planet. True, he didn't seem to know what the guard had planned and he was completely out of his depth but still. It does shed light on his fake version. There, the Prince was a courageous man who let his loyal guard escape while he stayed behind to help his people. I think that's what he wished he had done.

While I understand Kara's anger at Mon-El for lying to her I am not on her side on this one. Mon-El knew that Kara was prejudiced against his people and she had mentioned how horrible the royal family was early on so of course he would keep it a secret. Plus, he wanted a fresh start and this was a good way to get it. Also, Queen Rhea was right that Kara started viewing Mon-El with contempt and believing she was better than him once she learned he was a prince. She can't look beyond who Mon-El was and see him for who is he has become.

Which is sad, because he has become a better person and it's because of Supergirl. His speech to his parents was amazing and heartbreaking all at the same time because he's losing his family that he just found out survived and he lost Kara as well.

I loved seeing Teri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo on screen. They both did great in their roles, though Hatcher had the most to do. I doubt we've seen the last of them. I don't see either parent giving up that easily. At least I hope they don't. It would be a waste of both actors.

The royals demand to hand over Mon-El had to be a call-out to Man of Steel and Zod's similar demand for Earth to hand over Kal-El.

Okay, the scene of Kara attacking the ship was awesome. I read an interview a day or so ago where the creators said that the move to Canada actually gave them more money to play around with, and you can tell they put it all on screen.

While there wasn't anything really new or surprising about Winn's plot it was expertly executed. I knew that there had to be something up with Lyra because she seemed too good to be true. She was basically Winn's dream girl and now we know she was using him to get into the museum and steal the painting. I also figured that there had to be a reason for that and there was. Her younger brother was being held by the gang she was working for.

Nice to see Jimmy getting a good amount of screen time and getting to kick some serious butt as Guardian. The writers finally make good use of the character and then barely use him. It makes no sense.

Winn planning that final mission was brilliant. I knew he couldn't sneak Lyra out of the DEO as easy as he did. It was all a trap to capture the real criminals. This way, if Lyra was telling the truth about her brother they save the brother and the painting. If she had lied, they still get the painting and Lyra.

This season has been a commentary about immigration which makes sense giving the origins of the Super-family, and this episode continued that trend as we learn that Lyra is a refugee from a war torn planet and that she's all her little brother has ever since their parents died.

Music Meister came out of nowhere. I know they had to set up the event over on The Flash but there could have been a better way than that. I don't think the Meister is an alien so it was odd for the DEO to have him in the first place and they just paraded him around the place for no real reason other than plot. Also, how did he know that a device to open a portal to Earth-1 would be right there? Hopefully that all will get explained next episode.

Still, I am pumped for this cross-over episode. It looks like a lot of fun. I hope that they make these mini cross-over events between Supergirl and The Flash permanent.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

I'm guessing Music Meister was one of the metas Zoom sent after Flash last season, who somehow ended up sent to the wrong Earth.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users