Mass Effect Bioware

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:14 PM

Posted Image

This game comes out tomorrow so I thought I'd start a thread early. I know that we have few gamers left here but hopefully this will generate some interest. I am pumped for this game and I read that there will be at least two same sex romantic interests for both the Male and Female main characters. Obviously that isn't pertinent news for a lot of people but as a gay guy I like having the option to romance a male fictional video game character. :satisfied:

Edited by Virgil Vox, 20 March 2017 - 09:15 PM.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

I pre-ordered it yesterday (won't arrive until Wednesday), but it'll probably be a while longer than that before I get around to playing, I'm afraid.  The game I'm playing now is a hugely enjoyable time-suck, and I still have a backlog from Christmas I really want to get through.   I'm also thinking about how *great* my experience was with Mass Effect 3 (until the ending) where I played it late, so all the DLC was out by the time I played, and all the extra content was just merged into the overall game so I didn't really know which bits were DLC and which were main game.  Realistically, I probably won't sit on a game I've already bought waiting for all the DLC's before I play... but it's tempting.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#3 JudasRimmer

JudasRimmer

Emperor of Incompetence

• Islander
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

This is probably a silly question,but I know nothing about video games...is this in any way related to/set in the universe of a certain TV series we all know and (hopefully) mostly love?

Dave.

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

I pre-ordered it yesterday (won't arrive until Wednesday), but it'll probably be a while longer than that before I get around to playing, I'm afraid.  The game I'm playing now is a hugely enjoyable time-suck, and I still have a backlog from Christmas I really want to get through.   I'm also thinking about how *great* my experience was with Mass Effect 3 (until the ending) where I played it late, so all the DLC was out by the time I played, and all the extra content was just merged into the overall game so I didn't really know which bits were DLC and which were main game.  Realistically, I probably won't sit on a game I've already bought waiting for all the DLC's before I play... but it's tempting.

I get that. I'm still in the middle of Final Fantasy XV and Assassin's Creed: Syndicate but I've been waiting for Mass Effect: Andromeda for a long time. It is nice to play a game where all the DLC has been released. I'm hoping that at least one DLC will be released before I finish the game. Well, kind of. I do hate having to buy DLC after a game has been released. I get that it's the norm now but it still feels like companies ripping players off.

This is probably a silly question,but I know nothing about video games...is this in any way related to/set in the universe of a certain TV series we all know and (hopefully) mostly love?

As awesome as that would be it's not. The game is set in the Andromeda galaxy and follows a group of human and alien colonists as they try to make new lives for themselves far away from the Milky Way.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Well, I ended up taking a break from Horizon to give Mass Effect some play time this weekend.   I've gotten to the point where I've done a fair amount of stuff on Eos without doing the main plot quest, and am enjoying it so far.

The biggest negative is that I'm not super-pleased with the character customization options.  You basically have the choice of the seven "heads" that they start you with, and none of the size/height/etc. tweaks that you can do ever really change the character's looks all that much.  I always try to start from the pre-set that works best for me and then do a lot of adjustments to make her "mine", but no matter what I do, Head 2 comes out looking like Head 2 with some minor tweaks.    (And even with that, I ended up going back and replaying the entire first mission on Habitat 7 because my original tweaks had caused my character to be really ridiculous looking when she was speaking.  I ended up going back and making even less drastic tweaks, just to keep her looking semi-normal in action.  I've always loved how my Shepherd really felt like *MY* Shepherd, so this is a definite step down.

Gameplay is fine.  After having to fend for myself in Horizon lately, it's nice to have teammates again. :)  And I'd forgotten how fun biotic powers could be in flinging bad guy's around.  There's a definite "returning to an old friend" vibe to the combat.  (And the jet-pack for jumping is super-fun. :) )

Mission-wise, I'm already feeling a little overwhelmed with everything there is to do on Eos.  It's probably at least partly because I find the vehicle very stressful to maneuver around in, but there's definitely a LOT of stuff going on, between main missions and secondary ones, and little stuff you just stumble over.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

I'm a decent way through the game so far. I've traveled to three of the main planets and have done a number of side-quests. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. It's a different beast than the previous Mass Effect trilogy but that's not a bad thing.

The story is good. I love the desperation there is to it and how there's a big ticking clock to find planets and get them ready for colonists. The political tension on the Nexus between the various leaders and the Exiles has me intrigued. The kett, while their method of reproduction reminds me of the Collectors, are good villains. I'm excited to learn more.

The six squad mates are okay. There are no real stand-outs yet but it's still early. I like Cora and she has an interesting history. She is like what Jack might have been had she gone to the asari instead of being experimented on. I like Liam's gung ho attitude and his desire to make sure the various species don't make the same mistakes in Andromeda that they made in the Milky Way. PeeBee is fun. At first I thought she would be another Liara, seeing as she's an asari obsessed with uncovering the secrets of a long dead civilization but she's the anti-Liara. She's secretive, anti-social, and a bit of a wanderer. I like Vetra a lot. She has a cool design and I like her big sister mentality and the way she can procure anything. Drahk is more or less your typical krogan but he's probably one of the oldest krogan we've encountered in the games and I like how he dotes on his granddaughter Kesh. Jaal is cool and he's alien enough to the MW characters that he doesn't fit in completely.

I'm romancing Gil, mainly because at the moment he is the only character that a gay male Ryder can romance. The other character hasn't shown up yet, and from what I've read might not depending on a decision I can make.

The biggest negative is that I'm not super-pleased with the character customization options.  You basically have the choice of the seven "heads" that they start you with, and none of the size/height/etc. tweaks that you can do ever really change the character's looks all that much.

It took me a little bit to get my male Ryder looking how I wanted but I finally managed it.

I'm also not a fan of how you can't equip your squad mates with weapons or armor. It takes some of the fun out of things. I'm just selling or breaking down any old weapons or armor that I don't need anymore since they just take up space in the inventory.

While the Nomad is much better than the Mako, driving still isn't the best thing ever. I'm also not a fan of resource finding. They basically just took the planet scanning and reduced it down to the Nomad. That doesn't make it any more fun. I find it tedious to drive around an ill defined area trying to scan for resources and leaving the area every few seconds.

(And the jet-pack for jumping is super-fun. :) )

Yes it is. I love that thing.

The planets so far have been diverse and have had their own unique problems. Working to get the planets habitable is a laudable goal and makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.

I've tried not to get too specific because I'm not sure how far you are into the game Niko. I am excited to see how we stack up against each other and if we've made the same decisions or not.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

I'm definitely going to be going through it a lot slower than you, so no worries about spoilers.  I'll probably only skim things until I get further.  I only just did the vault on Eos last night, so I assume I'll be moving on to another world shortly.

The planets so far have been diverse and have had their own unique problems. Working to get the planets habitable is a laudable goal and makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.
Yeah, the "questing to make things habitable" is a really good hook, from both a story perspective and, for me, will likely give me a reason to come back to the planet to up that viability percentage, instead of letting some of the minor quests fall by the wayside.   I'm also hopeful that the quest item after clearing the Eos vault that mentions giving the radiation time to abate means that, when I come back, the travel will be less irritating due to the radiation being less of a problem, so that's good.  My approach on Eos was that I tried to clear as many of the secondary tasks as I could before doing the "main" quest of the vault, but I'll probably prioritize the vaults on future planets to make the environment more friendly before bothering with the other stuff.

So far, for companions, I really like Liam (though I didn't use him on Eos) and though I only just met Peebee, she seems fun.  Cora and Vedra have proven dependable fighters on the Eos mission, but haven't left an impression yet from a personal level.  I'm not really a Krogan fan, so I probably won't use Drack much... but that's cool that Kesh is related to him.  She seemed like the most likeable of the station heads. :)

I'm romancing Gil, mainly because at the moment he is the only character that a gay male Ryder can romance. The other character hasn't shown up yet, and from what I've read might not depending on a decision I can make.
I was disappointed on your behalf when I saw what slim pickings there were on the same-sex romance options.  How the f--- hard would it be to tweak some scripts a little to let all the romances work for both genders.  It's ridiculous.

While the Nomad is much better than the Mako, driving still isn't the best thing ever. I'm also not a fan of resource finding. They basically just took the planet scanning and reduced it down to the Nomad. That doesn't make it any more fun. I find it tedious to drive around an ill defined area trying to scan for resources and leaving the area every few seconds.
Totally agree.  Especially when (if I was understanding correctly) it looks like they add new spots as you make progress on the planet?  I don't mind doing a little mining if I come across a hot spot while I'm driving around doing other stuff, but going hunting for them specifically doesn't seem like any kind of fun.

Another thing I'm having a lot of trouble with is the game's tendency for Ryder or companions to comment on something nearby, but stuff blending into the environment in such a way that I have no idea what they're talking about.  They occasionally give you the "push R3" cue to force your focus to some key area, but the prompt doesn't stay up long enough so I usually end up hitting R3 too late, so it doesn't help at all.   A minor case of this was the "find dead bodies" task on Eos.  Ryder would say "Sam, I found another one" and I stop dead in my tracks and look all around and there's no dead body anywhere in sight, so I have to hunt around for it.  Or, when driving the Nomad, the companions will be all "Oh, look, a kett outpost", and all I see is desert.   I was particularly frustrated when escaping the vault last night because there was apparently something behind a barrier that I could have grabbed...?  I'm taking Vedra's word for it, because she said "If you want it, grab it now" but again, I had no idea where "it" might be, so I missed it.

That said, again, I'm still having a lot of fun.  The Mass Effect personality is coming through really strongly and despite the Nomad issues, the tasks have been mostly engaging.  (Got to the first opportunities for the 'interrupt' actions with Peebee last night, and I'm excited to have those back :)  I did NOT throw Peebee off of me, and I DID jump first into the gravity well at the vault.  :)

#8 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Finished everything on Havarl and then went back to Eos for a bunch of smaller quests.  Havarl was pretty fun, overall.  Not needing the Nomad at all on Havarl, and not having radiation concerns on Eos, were big improvements.  Jaal is a nice enough addition to the team.  I got a big laugh out of Ryder's reaction to his and Liam's shirtless scene.  :)

The Eos stuff was fairly satisfying in terms of just having a lot of waypoints on different multi-location quests and being able to sweep the map to clear them all.  They're doing a good job with the various NPC's in Prodromos in making me feel like I'm doing worthwhile stuff even though it's all fetch quests at heart.

Negatives:  I've been hitting some pretty significant bugs.  Yesterday, Jaal died once and wouldn't get back up after the combat was over (and it didn't give me the "revive" option) and I had to revert to a save.  One that's really bugging me right now is a terminal on Eos that has the exclamation mark icon saying that it'll give me a quest, but when I access it, the terminal says "No Messages".  Mildly irritating, but I'll survive. The big negative... My game last night also ended on a seriously sour note.  I ran into my first architect.  These sorts of big boss fights are never my favorite anyway, but I was gradually getting the job done.  The fight went on for... I swear it must've been more than an hour.  I'd get to the point where I could shoot it in the mouth, and then it would just sit there NOT OPENING ITS MOUTH for a good ten minutes of me just running back and forth avoiding its different attacks, and when it finally did open, it was barely open long enough for me to empty one clip into it.  By the end, I was to the point where I'd been doing the same running-back-and-forth actions (because stopping at all meant getting blasted) for so long my fingers were actually numbing up just waiting for it to be in a state where I could do any damage... and then I dodged wrong and got blasted and died, and the fight took me all the way back to the beginning (fights that have stages like this, I was hoping maybe it would start at the last time it moved).   I nearly threw my controller through a wall.  Not my idea of fun At. All.

#9 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

I've finished up most of Voeld... Still have to do the cauldron vault and the big mission to save the Moshae, but all the smaller stuff is done.  I enjoyed the big raid on the kett base, and all three of my big irritations from Eos (life support, driving the Nomad, and fighting the Architect) went a lot better on this world.

I've been using Jaal a lot (since these are his worlds) and Vetra.  The conversations between the two of them are pretty cute.  Overall, though... I think I feel like there's something a little lacking in the companions this time?  I keep feeling like there must be at least one more coming to round things out and add some last punch of personality.

I'm thinking I may finish up those last two Voeld things and then switch back to Horizon for a bit.  Gawd, it's weird having so many games on the pile.  I've got Persona 5 staring at me, now, too. :)

#10 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

I was disappointed on your behalf when I saw what slim pickings there were on the same-sex romance options.  How the f--- hard would it be to tweak some scripts a little to let all the romances work for both genders.  It's ridiculous.

Honestly, it would just be nice to have one romance-able squad mate. I like Gil and I am romancing him but I don't spend a lot of time on the ship. Plus the relationship is moving at a glacial pace. Heck, Peebee offered to sleep with Ryder before Gil and Ryder even defined their relationship. It just feels like a step down, especially considering Dragon Age: Inquisition where both Dorian and Iron Bull were gay male romance options, and the Dorian relationship had a lot of time and effort put into it.

I found an article where it shows that playing as a straight male through all 4 ME games gets you the most romance options, with surprisingly playing as a lesbian female character gets you the next most options (mainly because of the asari characters). Over four games there are only 4 gay male romance options.

It's not a huge deal (I romanced Liara and Tali in my ME play throughs and wouldn't mind romancing Vetra in this game) but it's nice to have the option. I had some hope with Reyes but he's only in the game a short time and doesn't join your crew.

Another thing I'm having a lot of trouble with is the game's tendency for Ryder or companions to comment on something nearby, but stuff blending into the environment in such a way that I have no idea what they're talking about.  They occasionally give you the "push R3" cue to force your focus to some key area, but the prompt doesn't stay up long enough so I usually end up hitting R3 too late, so it doesn't help at all.   A minor case of this was the "find dead bodies" task on Eos.  Ryder would say "Sam, I found another one" and I stop dead in my tracks and look all around and there's no dead body anywhere in sight, so I have to hunt around for it.  Or, when driving the Nomad, the companions will be all "Oh, look, a kett outpost", and all I see is desert.   I was particularly frustrated when escaping the vault last night because there was apparently something behind a barrier that I could have grabbed...?  I'm taking Vedra's word for it, because she said "If you want it, grab it now" but again, I had no idea where "it" might be, so I missed it.

That does get annoying. For the dead bodies mission every time I went by a particular body my squad mates would act as if it was the first time and say I needed to check it out.

Negatives:  I've been hitting some pretty significant bugs.  Yesterday, Jaal died once and wouldn't get back up after the combat was over (and it didn't give me the "revive" option) and I had to revert to a save.  One that's really bugging me right now is a terminal on Eos that has the exclamation mark icon saying that it'll give me a quest, but when I access it, the terminal says "No Messages".  Mildly irritating, but I'll survive.

I had the same terminal problem. Also, my journal and inventory always tell me there are new items to look at even if there aren't any. Not a deal breaker but annoying. There have also been times when Ryder's head will twist all the way back when he's talking to someone. Other times the camera will zoom in on a wall or something during a conversation instead of the characters.

My game last night also ended on a seriously sour note.  I ran into my first architect.

I feel your pain. That didn't happen to me thankfully but I've been in situations like that before. Honestly, I might have thrown my controller at that point. Fighting the Architects are not fun and for your game to glitch like that had to be so infuriating.

I've been using Jaal a lot (since these are his worlds) and Vetra.  The conversations between the two of them are pretty cute.  Overall, though... I think I feel like there's something a little lacking in the companions this time?  I keep feeling like there must be at least one more coming to round things out and add some last punch of personality.

I feel the same way, kind of. None of the characters truly stand out like some of them did from the previous trilogy. Still, as I've done some of their loyalty missions and talked to them over the course of the game I've come to see that they have some surprising depth to them and they are growing on me. I made a choice that has Drack extremely upset with me and I feel terrible. Part of me wanted to go back to an earlier save and make a different decision but I didn't.

Finished everything on Havarl and then went back to Eos for a bunch of smaller quests.  Havarl was pretty fun, overall.  Not needing the Nomad at all on Havarl, and not having radiation concerns on Eos, were big improvements.  Jaal is a nice enough addition to the team.  I got a big laugh out of Ryder's reaction to his and Liam's shirtless scene.  :)

I liked Havarl too. It was a nice change of pace from how most planets are set up. Yeah, the shirtless scene was hilarious. Heck, Liam hung out shirtless after that for a while.

Something small that I like is that the crew move around on the Tempest. They're not always just standing in the same place waiting for you to talk to them. Plus they interact with each other which can lead to some interesting conversations.

The kett are interesting villains. I'm not sure if you've done the rescue Moshae quest yet so I'll refrain from mentioning too much about them yet. I am curious as to whether they will remain a big threat for future games or be dealt with here.

I liked Kadara Port and its seedier nature but it was annoying also because you land at the Port, have to take an elevator ride down to an enclosed area, go through the area, and then you get access to the wider planet. It's just a lot of steps to go through, especially with quests that make you go back and forth.

While there haven't been any "Do you kill Ashley or Kaidan" choices yet, there have been some tough ones morally, strategically, and personally that affect your squad. Some of them have been pretty tough.

Haven't done much on New Tuchanka but that is one where the heat saps your health quick once you step out of the Nomad. Makes doing some of the missions difficult. I'm going to have to get the Vault up and running soon.

I'm thinking I may finish up those last two Voeld things and then switch back to Horizon for a bit.  Gawd, it's weird having so many games on the pile.  I've got Persona 5 staring at me, now, too. :)

I feel you. I still have FFXV and AC: Syndicate to finish.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#11 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 06 April 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

Honestly, it would just be nice to have one romance-able squad mate. I like Gil and I am romancing him [...]

I found an article where it shows that playing as a straight male through all 4 ME games gets you the most romance options, with surprisingly playing as a lesbian female character gets you the next most options (mainly because of the asari characters).

I'm not surprised that the f/f options are second-most.  It's like the games are written by dudes who can't fathom why anyone would want to romance dudes (whether female or gay males) so they always end up putting more oomph into the relationships with women.  What feels weirdest to me is how much a step backwards it is even within the Mass Effect world.  By ME3, they had some interesting relationships going on, and with this one, we're back to the exact same complaints that we had back in ME1.  They should have learned by now that more choices are always a good thing.

At least Gil *does* seem like a pretty cool character, from what little I've interacted with him (poker game, mainly).

That does get annoying. For the dead bodies mission every time I went by a particular body my squad mates would act as if it was the first time and say I needed to check it out.
LOL, yeah.  And there's so little to differentiate them that I keep thinking I found a new one and then get disappointed.  I thought someone was coming to get these guys for a proper burial! :)

Overall, I've pretty much washed my hands of these sorts of "find all the things" quests that don't have markers.  If I stumble across all of them, great, but it's not something I'm going to scour every inch of the map for.

Also, my journal and inventory always tell me there are new items to look at even if there aren't any. Not a deal breaker but annoying.
OMG, that is driving me crazy.  I've always been a little OCD about needing to clear those sorts of "new info!" alerts in games, so it's killing me. :)

While there haven't been any "Do you kill Ashley or Kaidan" choices yet, there have been some tough ones morally, strategically, and personally that affect your squad. Some of them have been pretty tough.

Yeah, I'm still only at the point of completing Voeld (and I've freed the Moshae, yes), and there have been a couple that I really struggled with so far.  Oddly, the biggest on I had trouble with is probably the least likely to matter, because it was a side-quest.  In the quest that leads to fighting the architect on Eos, I struggled a lot with whether to mine for water (to help my colony) or natural gas (to help the wider population of rebels).  I'm not sure yet whether I sympathize with the rebels.  The guy who wanted me to mine for natural gas was kind of a jerk, so I ended up deciding to go with water... but since I got killed by the architect and have to go back and re-do it later, I may be open to changing my mind if I have any better interactions with them.   Saving the Voeld A.I. or not was also a tough one for me.

Taking a break, like I mentioned.  Horizon is on the docket for this week. :)

#12 JudasRimmer

JudasRimmer

Emperor of Incompetence

• Islander
  • 667 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 23 March 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

As awesome as that would be it's not. The game is set in the Andromeda galaxy and follows a group of human and alien colonists as they try to make new lives for themselves far away from the Milky Way.

Ah,I see. I doubted it would be but I wanted to make sure. Thanks. :)

Dave.

#13 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

I'm not surprised that the f/f options are second-most.  It's like the games are written by dudes who can't fathom why anyone would want to romance dudes (whether female or gay males) so they always end up putting more oomph into the relationships with women.  What feels weirdest to me is how much a step backwards it is even within the Mass Effect world.  By ME3, they had some interesting relationships going on, and with this one, we're back to the exact same complaints that we had back in ME1.  They should have learned by now that more choices are always a good thing.

Yeah, these are the game designers who created a race of sexy, bi-sexual women. Sure, the asari are a great race and the games developed them fantastically, but it's easy to see that they probably started life as a fanboy's dream.

Overall, I've pretty much washed my hands of these sorts of "find all the things" quests that don't have markers.  If I stumble across all of them, great, but it's not something I'm going to scour every inch of the map for.

Same.

I’ve finished the game. Overall, I enjoyed it. It wasn’t without its problems but nothing that ruined the game. I would say it’s not as strong a start to the new trilogy as the original Mass Effect was, but it’s hard to top that original trilogy of games.

Character wise, I felt that I had a good handle on all the characters by the end. The game went with more of a slow burn with the characters, building them up over multiple hours While none of them were stand-outs like in the first ME, they grew on me a lot.

I also found that by experimenting with character combinations I could get some interesting conversations. For instance, Vetra and Liam don’t get along because Liam thinks Vetra was wrong to bring her young sister on the journey. Drack and Peebee got along great and were always joking around with each other. They formed a strong bond by the end.

I also appreciated how the characters moved about the Tempest. It gave the ship and the characters an added layer of “realness”. It felt like they had actual jobs to do and weren’t just stuck in one location. It also provided for some nice conversations among the crew.

The movie night sequence was great, and reminded me of the poker scene from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I do have to admit to being disappointed in the romance with Gil. I like Gil; he’s a cool character. I just felt that the game didn’t devote anywhere near enough time to the romance especially since at the end of the game Gil and Scott have agreed to raise a baby together. All I could think was that it was too soon in their relationship to contemplate being dads together.

The game play was awesome. Adding a jet pack made combat a lot more fun and I liked that we could switch between different profiles to fit whatever mission we were on. The weapons were cool and could become pretty badass by modding them. The powers were a lot of fun. I used the fire one the most and just shot out twin fire blasts a lot.

The final mission was a blast and just filled with awesome. I’d say it was on par with the save the Citadel ending from ME1.

Story wise, it was okay. I loved the story about trying to colonize a new galaxy with limited resources, two alien species, plus the Scourge everywhere.

Part of the problem was that it felt like reheated left-overs. The Remnant stuff felt a lot like the Protheans from the original trilogy. The kett, while I liked them as villains, were similar to the Collectors and the geth in that they turned other species into more of them. There were at least some differences with the kett being religious fanatics who feel it is their duty to convert every sentient species to their way of life. They kind of remind me of the Borg, in the way that the kett analyze the strengths of each new species and then adapt those strengths into their own DNA.

While the game didn’t have any truly gut wrenching decisions like sacrificing either Ashley or Kaidan, it did still present some hard choices that could have severe repercussions down the line.

I’m of two minds on the new dialogue system. I don’t mind losing the Paragon/Renegade system but I’m not sure if the replacement is any better. The options are usually either to be more sincere/nice or more realistic/cold. A lot of the times it didn’t feel as if I was really changing outcomes based on what I said, which wasn’t the case with the Paragon/Renegade system.

I give the game major props for the planets. They were all beautiful and unique so it never felt like I was seeing the same settings over and over.

In the end, I enjoyed my time with Mass Effect: Andromeda and think it’s a worthy successor to the original trilogy. I’m excited to see where the story goes from here.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#14 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

I'm back to playing.

I've finished Kadara mostly (though it hasn't let me put a colony there yet - I guess because I haven't finished the Reyes stuff) and am working on Elaaden.

I've only done one loyalty-mission so far with my peeps... Liam's.  It was pretty fun.  I LOL'd pretty hard at the whole "this plan sucks" bickering, and the ending where Ryder mentions that maybe they can at least retrieve some decent tech from the enemy ship, and... BOOM!  That was classic Mass Effect, there.

Part of the problem was that it felt like reheated left-overs. The Remnant stuff felt a lot like the Protheans from the original trilogy.
Definitely agree.  The combination of threatening-alien-race (Collectors/geth/kett) and mysterious-ancient-ruins (Protheans/Remnant) is a little too straightforward a match.  I also keep wondering whether relying on the Vaults for long-term livability on these planets is a great strategy for them in the long run.  Do they get into the source of the Remnant more?  The one "mythology" thing about this setup that would be interesting to me is that big chunk of 600 years between our folks discovering these planets and actually arriving.  I wish they were coming at it more from the mystery standpoint, rather than just "OK, we found these things and magically know how to use them, moving on".  (Though that may be my recent experience with Horizon setting unrealistic expectations.  They did such a great job in having a "present day" character unraveling past events and how their world got from "Point A" to "Point B", I'm wishing Mass Effect would go there, too.)

While the game didn’t have any truly gut wrenching decisions like sacrificing either Ashley or Kaidan, it did still present some hard choices that could have severe repercussions down the line.
Yeah, there've been several places, even on the smaller side-quests, that were definitely tough choices.  If they actually use them in the next game, the way they did in ME2 (and then screwed up in ME3), that'd be a nice surprise.

I’m of two minds on the new dialogue system. I don’t mind losing the Paragon/Renegade system but I’m not sure if the replacement is any better. The options are usually either to be more sincere/nice or more realistic/cold. A lot of the times it didn’t feel as if I was really changing outcomes based on what I said, which wasn’t the case with the Paragon/Renegade system.
Yes! This has started bugging me quite a bit.  I feel like the only impact is that maybe Lexi's profile of me changes in the archive area?  Seems like a huge waste of resources for them to record all these different responses that don't really impact the game that much.

I give the game major props for the planets. They were all beautiful and unique so it never felt like I was seeing the same settings over and over.
The settings were unique, yeah, but at the same time, I'm really struggling to keep my interest up right now due to the saminess of them.  It's the Dragon Age: Inquisition issue... each of them have this mini-"open world" vibe, but the things to do in each one are just lather-rinse-repeat.  Start with a handful of "real" quests.  Start driving toward one quest marker.  Get stopped a few times by random enemy camps.  Find some random thing in that camp that SAM needs "a few more" to triangulate a source.   The way every other quest is this "find three and then a final one" (including the Vault ramp-up)... the quests have become more about choosing the most efficient way to clear the map of quest icons than actually being interested in the story for me.  It feels like a lot of busy work.

Sorry to compare to Horizon again, but I can't help but look at the Vaults in this game and compare to the Cauldrons in Horizon.  Both are "dungeon"-type areas that you visit multiples of them in the game.  In ME (so far), they're all the same sort of platformy/console-puzzle things punctuated with Remnant fights.  In Horizon, the first two Cauldron's have a similar platformy structure, but then you get to one where humans are already present inside, and that one plays completely differently.  And you get to another, and the entrance seems to be blocked, so you find a secondary way inside that completely *SKIPS* the entire dungeon and takes you directly to the boss fight at the end.  So both games have the repetitive dungeon concept, but ME just plops them there and makes each one the exact same experience, while Horizon has fun with it by setting up your expectations and then giving you something new and different.   It's so interesting to see these two side-by-side like I have.  It's really given me a better understanding of what makes some games "work" for me and others not.

I also found that by experimenting with character combinations I could get some interesting conversations.
Yeah, that part is one thing that makes the driving-around-the-planet gameplay worthwhile.  The conversations are frequent enough that there's seldom too much time spent just driving around with no conversation.  It gives good motivation to change up the party members.

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:16 PM

I've only done one loyalty-mission so far with my peeps... Liam's.  It was pretty fun.  I LOL'd pretty hard at the whole "this plan sucks" bickering, and the ending where Ryder mentions that maybe they can at least retrieve some decent tech from the enemy ship, and... BOOM!  That was classic Mass Effect, there.

That was a fun mission, especially with the ship getting turned on its side.

I also keep wondering whether relying on the Vaults for long-term livability on these planets is a great strategy for them in the long run.  Do they get into the source of the Remnant more?

They do give us more information on the Remnant, but not as much as I would like. Relying on the Vaults is sketchy, but they do kind of address that. I don't want to spoil anything for you, though.

Yes! This has started bugging me quite a bit.  I feel like the only impact is that maybe Lexi's profile of me changes in the archive area?  Seems like a huge waste of resources for them to record all these different responses that don't really impact the game that much.

That does seem to be the only impact. It sucks. I give them props for trying something new but hopefully they will tweak it for the sequel.

The settings were unique, yeah, but at the same time, I'm really struggling to keep my interest up right now due to the saminess of them.  It's the Dragon Age: Inquisition issue... each of them have this mini-"open world" vibe, but the things to do in each one are just lather-rinse-repeat.  Start with a handful of "real" quests.  Start driving toward one quest marker.  Get stopped a few times by random enemy camps.  Find some random thing in that camp that SAM needs "a few more" to triangulate a source.   The way every other quest is this "find three and then a final one" (including the Vault ramp-up)... the quests have become more about choosing the most efficient way to clear the map of quest icons than actually being interested in the story for me.  It feels like a lot of busy work.

Agreed. The planets are fun and I like that they have their own stories but the quests do tend to get rather blah after a while.

Sorry to compare to Horizon again, but I can't help but look at the Vaults in this game and compare to the Cauldrons in Horizon.  Both are "dungeon"-type areas that you visit multiples of them in the game.  In ME (so far), they're all the same sort of platformy/console-puzzle things punctuated with Remnant fights.  In Horizon, the first two Cauldron's have a similar platformy structure, but then you get to one where humans are already present inside, and that one plays completely differently.  And you get to another, and the entrance seems to be blocked, so you find a secondary way inside that completely *SKIPS* the entire dungeon and takes you directly to the boss fight at the end.  So both games have the repetitive dungeon concept, but ME just plops them there and makes each one the exact same experience, while Horizon has fun with it by setting up your expectations and then giving you something new and different.   It's so interesting to see these two side-by-side like I have.  It's really given me a better understanding of what makes some games "work" for me and others not.

I wish the Vaults had been treated like that in this game. I dreaded doing them because it was the same thing every time and they were just a big chore to do.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#16 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

I finished the game this weekend. It was a game of real ups-and-downs for me, with periods where I was really enjoying it and times when it was a huuuuuge slog and I was asking myself whether I even wanted to bother playing.  In the end, I do think the pluses outweighed the negatives, at least.

Some bullet points:
  • As much as I didn't like the atmospheric challenges on some of the planets, I think Voeld was actually the planet I had the most fun with.  It was the point where I found the sweet spot of how to manage driving around and finding safe-zones, and the focus on taking out kett bases made it feel like there was a better balance between "meaningful" tasks and stupid fetch quest busywork.  Kadara worked okay for me, too, because of it being more populated.  Coming across little outposts and stuff instead of it only being random camps with baddies to kill helped give it more interest level.  Elaaden was the biggest slog, because I was sick of the repetitive grind by then.
  • Pretty much all of the sequences that were official "missions" (where you couldn't save inside them) were quite fun, including both story missions and loyalty ones.  Whatever team worked on those sequences did a good job in pacing them nicely with some decent fighting challenges and good character beats/discoveries.
  • Combat continued to be fun throughout, even including the architects, once I figured out what to do with them.  I did get lazy toward the end and started pelting all the hard stuff with Cobra RPG's.  Pretty much even the hardest dudes went down with one hit from those, and I used pretty much ALL of my cash in stocking up on them when I found out that they made architects a lot easier.
  • Biotics are one of the coolest things about this franchise, and it was still hella fun to launch baddies into the air and such.  I really only used three different powers throughout the game, though.  Given the number of options, it felt a little bit of a missed opportunity.  I wish they would've allowed you more say in your party member's skills, to give more chance to play with different combinations.  The fact that they each came with fixed skills was disappointing.  (Plus, I got them all maxed out WAY too early... balance was off there.)   I also made exactly zero use of the profiles thing.  I just picked a biotic-related one early on and left it there.  Not sure that added any benefit... the old class breakdowns would've been just as good.
  • I know they did the one big update to fix the flat eyes and some of the other graphical weirdness, but I wonder if the update after that had further improvements?  The back half of the game seemed *much* improved in terms of the character's skin-tones and faces seeming more "real".
  • By the end of the game, I was feeling some of the same affection for "my" Ryder that I had for "my" Shepherd, so any improvements they did do definitely helped.  I'm kinda sad at the news I read recently that sounded like Bioware isn't moving ahead with a sequel right now.  They left enough of a hook with the Ryders' mom and more kett and all that I'd be up for another go-round in this universe.

#17 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

I pretty much agree with everything you said, Niko.

I'm kinda sad at the news I read recently that sounded like Bioware isn't moving ahead with a sequel right now.  They left enough of a hook with the Ryders' mom and more kett and all that I'd be up for another go-round in this universe.

That is sad. Despite its flaws this was still a really good game. I wasn't expecting it to be as good or epic as ME:2 or ME:3. It's a brand new universe they're having to build up from scratch. I think if we ever do get it a sequel it will be amazing because all of the set-up is out of the way.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#18 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

Bioware has come out (no pun intended) and said that Jaal is now romance-able by a male Ryder which is great as that means gay players have two options (three if you count Reyes but he's barely in the game). Apparently that was the intention from the start but for whatever reason they decided to make him a female only romance option. Not sure why the change all of a sudden but it's a good one.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#19 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

^ That's good news. :)   Not sure why, but I think Jaal makes MORE sense for a male-romance than a female-.  Maybe just because I know my female Ryder wasn't interested, whereas I can see my "Scott" hooking up with him as a side thing.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users