• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,689 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

The team gears up to leave a company retreat when supervillain Dr. Psycho releases a toxic gas in Charm City; Emily does her best to make the most of a terrible situation.  

This was the episode delayed by the gas attack in Syria.  It's too bad we can't send superheroes to places like Syria.  :(
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,161 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

Ooooo ... Scary Emily.  And the gang now know how Emily will be when she finally gets fed up.

Whether this means things will change between her and her staff (I doubt it) is still open to question.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:44 PM

Another good episode. All the characters were true to themselves but they did grow a little bit as they realize how much Emily does for them and how hard she works with no thanks from any of them.

Ooooo ... Scary Emily.  And the gang now know how Emily will be when she finally gets fed up.

It must have been evil truth serum since she really let them all have it. She could have told the truth without being so brutal and mean.

I loved the Making a Supervillain gag and how some people thought Dr. Psycho was just misunderstood.

Van's comedy writers were a nice touch. I do have to wonder if the one that was left in the gas died since he was exposed to it longer than Emily and was left out there as far as I could tell.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,689 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, this episode was back on form.  I loved everybody's answer to the question of who they would want to be on a deserted island with.  Wendy cracks me up. The spat between Teddy and Ron was hilarious.  Who can blame Jackie for wanting to die alone?  :lol:

I don't know if it was evil truth gas or not. It probably just depends on what you've got bottled up inside. Emily just happened to have a lot of anger after all she's dealt with since the show started.  It actually would have been great if everybody got exposed to the gas and we got a "Naked Time" kind of story.

I'm surprised they didn't say something about the other comedy writer. This isn't the kind of show where somebody would die, I don't think.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,689 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

Looks like there'll be no more Powerless for us.  It's been pulled from the schedule, with no word on whether the remaining episodes will be aired.  :(

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,161 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

:blink: :blink:

Seriously?  

I mean I was worried that it took this long to find itself, especially given the first couple of episodes, and then the two weeks it didn't air (never a good sign), but I had hoped that it would manage to pull through once it had improved.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,689 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Well, it hasn't been officially cancelled yet, but it sure doesn't look good.

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,161 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

Well, yes, the constant pre-emption is definitely not a confidence booster for the future of this program.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#9 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,161 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

According to The Hollywood Reporter, NBC has effectively cancelled Powerless in favor of Superstore.

http://www.hollywood...canceled-997174

NBC is cutting off power to Powerless.

The network has pulled the remaining three episodes of DC Comics' first live-action scripted comedy, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. The already renewed Superstore will take over its Thursday time slot at 8:30 p.m., with repeats of the America Ferrera comedy also running at 8 p.m. The remaining three episodes of Powerless have not yet been rescheduled.

Here's hoping that should the show be released on DVD, it might have all 12 episodes, and hopefully even include the original pilot.

As to why they made the changes from the initial concept of a workplace comedy set in an Insurance Company in the DCU, I found this:

"Justin and I were brought on as five-day-a-week consulting producers on the original show, so we were there for pre-production when Ben Queen was running the show," Schumacker tells THR. "This is when it was a world of insurance. We just hit a wall because nobody on the staff understood the world of insurance and at best, you're telling stories where, if this team wins the day, it means, like, f—ing somebody out of money. We were really hitting a wall, and eventually when the turnover happened, we were asked to take over the show and we decided we wanted to do something that would more organically bring in the genre elements of it."

Likewise

Overhauling the basic premise and setting for the characters helped Schumacker realize that this new angle was "an organic way to bring in a lot of the fun, sci-fi, fantasy stuff into the show, into the workplace, and then it's an everyday occurrence," he says.

"They can create an umbrella called a 'rumbrella' that protects you from falling rubble. Or Teddy has these heat gloves that he's working on that end up benefiting them during cold season, which is the time in Charm City when all of the ice-themed villains descend on the city at once and turn it into this winter wonderland. They treat it like it's bad weather."

All of which makes sense to me.  Mind you, I think that after retooling the comedy was still too broad, and it seemed like the writers still didn't understand what goes on in a corporate workspace, but at least a win in the office could result in a product that could help others and enable the cast the possibilities to interact with heroes.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 04 May 2017 - 09:48 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#10 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

Too bad.  Interesting characters, talented cast.  But I don't think it ever really hit its stride.  Another one bites the dust.
Cats will never be extinct!

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,689 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

Not unexpected, but a real shame. I wonder what the chances are of it moving over to the CW with all the other DC shows-- and maybe crossing over.  :lol:

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,689 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:38 PM

Apparently, the final three episodes have been made available on On Demand-- but only in New Zealand.  :mellow:

#13 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,161 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:39 PM

:eek3:

Oh-kay.  That doesn't do me much good.  But, I hope it is an indicator that should the show get a DVD release, it will include the unaired episodes.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#14 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,689 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

I double checked On Demand and the NBC website to be sure, and we got nothing. I'm hoping that they'll at least show them over the Summer. But if there's a DVD release, we might also get the original pilot, which would be kind of cool.

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,689 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

Well, this was a nice gesture on the part of DC Comics:

#16 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

^That is a nice gesture. I haven't watched it yet but I plan to either tonight or tomorrow.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,689 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

It was pretty good. Adam West kind of breaks the fourth wall, but doesn't really.  And there's plenty of the off-center, DC-centric humor that we've come to expect (I love how Wendy disappeared for two years).  Also some timely Trump parody, and, I presume, Google parody.

#18 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,161 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Yeah.  It wasn't great, but it was fun.

Loved that it was Jackie who got the super-power which she uses to avoid Emily's hugs, as well as their conclusion that it will be Wendy who's going to be the first to go.  The we have the running gag of Emily seeking to avoid unpleasantness, only to have her workaround make things worse.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#19 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

Nothing shows up for me in your post #15...???
Cats will never be extinct!

#20 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Time

• Islander
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

^ It's a youtube video of the series finale, featuring Adam West.  If the embedded video is not showing up for you, maybe a direct link to youtube will help:

POWERLESS w/ ADAM WEST – “Win, Luthor, Draw” Full Episode

SFG  :cool:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Powerless

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users