388 replies to this topic

#21 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 02 May 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

In the past 2 or 3 days he has exhibited very strange behavior, demeanor, and a sort of exaggerated level of cognitive dissonance, even by his usual standards. There are those observing him that think he may be hampered or disconnected mentally, even more so than his usual everyday level of contrary eccentricity. I watched a couple of his interviews and read even more of the transcripts of his speaking. I don't know if you did but listening to him was unsettling, like listening to a 5 year old pout. I'm not really comfortable with a five year old mentality in charge of the nuclear arsenal. I'm just suggesting that this 100 day plateau, with its attendant pressures and daily reminders in 45's face of his continuing failures might be pushing him out onto the crumbling ledge of functional sanity.

No I haven't. I have heard of some of the type or kind of things he has said, but I haven't watch/listen to a recent interview or read one. Except… an excerpt of him about whether those with pre-existing conditions would be covered under the healthcare bill. I have largely stopped listening, as there was a lot of hot air, BS, and lies, coming from what he and his administration said, so I tried to focus on actions, not words. But that was probably also based on a presumption or wish that we wouldn't have to watch for signs of mental instability… (or that that would be fairly clearly distinguishable from their previous behaviour…). I can't imagine many 70 year olds go off the deep end when they had 70 previous years to do so (though there is dementia and other age-related cognitive declines). But this is also a 70 year old that has always been the boss, and has been in a multi-privileged bubble that has insulted him from dealing with criticism or reality. His veneer and image that he cares so much about is falling away before his eyes. He though this job would cement his puffed-up image he promotes of himself, but it is do the opposite. He believes (or has to believe others believe) that he is a winner, the best in near every category (he is the "most"/"best" of every positive attribute, according to him).

Hopefully you're wrong for all of our sakes, because one thing he has learned in the last 100 days is that military bombings result in support, and good media coverage….
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#22 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:39 PM

I hope I'm wrong, too. But on TV they played interview sessions of pre-45 from 30 years ago and compared it to his speech patterns and clueless ping-ponging of his derailed thought trains. The 40 year old Trump seemed far more articulate, convincing, and focused, even though the subject matter and his leanings were pretty much the same as today. It was about trade with Japan and how they were taking advantage of the US through protectionist actions and currency shenanigans. He just seemed much clearer, more assertive without the obligatory bluster and current 45's resorting to repeating himself with short meaningless phrases.

I'm 63 and though I do get frustrated spinning my wheels fishing for a word now and then, I think I'd out debate my 33 year old self rather easily from three decades of added knowledge and the wisdom to realize I don't actually know it ALL like I felt I did 30 years ago. Joe Scarborough this morning said that 45's bizarre assertion that no one knows why the Civil War started or why it wasn't just worked out sounded like something his mother ten years into dementia might say. I have an older relative saddled with that affliction and I'd have to agree. It sounds like a simple-minded mouthing thrown out there to fill the gap of silence...no real thought out or considered mental application behind it.

#23 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

Omg.... The justice department is prosecuting a woman for laughing.... That is the thing dictators fear most I've heard.... The woman, Desiree Fairooz, laughed at Jeff Sessions confirmations hearing when he said something about always/believing in treating everyone equally before the law. They say it was intentional/interrupting congressional proceedings. She says the laugh was involuntary. She has done activist things before, but there is video apparently. I haven't seen it or look for it yet.

- Masha Gessen

#24 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

^^ This lady is a Code Pink activist with a history of distracting protest at the Capitol Building. But to be prosecuted by the federal government for laughing loudly?

These trumped up charges are in and of themselves, laughable. This land is my land. This land is your land. Alas Alice, It is sadly becoming Wonderland.

#25 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

James Comey makes me mildly nauseous.

#26 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

^ Word of the day! :D

WTFJHD - Day 104: Nauseous.

- Comey: "mildly nauseous" at suggestions he swayed the election.
- National Security Agency/NSA: collected more than 150 million records of American's phone calls last year - this is after Congress limited their ability, before that they were collecting "billions of records per day".

- Masha Gessen

#27 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

WTFJHT - Day 105: Health care?

- Heath care: Republican controlled House barely passed (217-213) their Health care? bill to repeal/replace the ACA/Obamacare. No Democrats voted for it, and not all Republicans did. It goes to the Senate now.
- Immigration: Border agents wrongly telling asylum-seekers that the U.S. won't take them.
- Religion/Executive Order: Trump signed an EO "Promoting Free Speech and Religious Liberty". It will allow tax-exempt churches to engage in more political-oriented speech. It directs the Secretaries of Treasury, Labour, & HHS, to find wriggle room to allow religious exemptions to the preventative-care mandate in health care regulations (i.e. birth control and abortion).

Edited by sierraleone, 05 May 2017 - 05:59 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#28 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

I assume tax-exempt temples, mosques and other houses of non-Christian worship will also be able to engage in more political-oriented speech...
Cats will never be extinct!

#29 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

^ One thing I read today is what is now stopping PACs and Super PACs from pretending to be churches?

- Masha Gessen

#30 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 04 May 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

^ One thing I read today is what is now stopping PACs and Super PACs from pretending to be churches?

Or what will be stopping churches from pretending NOT to be PACs and Super PACs?

#31 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

View PostThemis, on 04 May 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

I assume tax-exempt temples, mosques and other houses of non-Christian worship will also be able to engage in more political-oriented speech...

I heard 45 grunting something about imam's included with the preachers and rabbis.

#32 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

Just saw a picture on Facebook, was assured it was real, though it could've been a photo-shop I suppose. Apparently these high-fiving, first quarter of the game football-spiking Congressional yahoos hung a "Mission Accomplished!" banner over their kegger in the WH Rose Garden! Too funny and too perfect! :) Those who fail to learn the lessons of history....

And both the conservative National Review and the ACLU mocked the religious liberty Executive Order was basically all pomp and circumstance and essentially a nothing burger beyond that, according to Chris Hayes on MSNBC. I'm guessing he didn't actually dissolve the Johnson Rule on tax-exempt status revocation for church politicking? The ACLU stated they'd been all ready to sue but there was nothing there was nothing to sue over.

ETA: ( haven't been able to find independent confirmation of the Mission Accomplished banner at the Rose Garden pep rally, so likely it's fake news. But there was a "promises made, promise kept" banner. And 45 did announce there that today was indeed repeal and replacement of ObamaCare. Don't get ahead of yourself, jackass. Don't count your subterfuge within a conspiracy Russian nesting doll Faberge eggs before they hatch.)

Edited by yadda yadda, 04 May 2017 - 11:35 PM.

#33 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

I forced myself this morning to sit through ten or fifteen minutes of a Fox political show, "Outnumbered", the portion they devoted to discussion of yesterday's health care/tax cut bill out of their full hour. I wanted to see what Fox viewers were being told. Outnumbered is a show with 4 or 5 women and one man, presumably designed as a self-defense group should any sort of typical Fox Network sexual harassment manifest itself.

The narrative was mostly geared to explaining and highlighting Trump's "victory", discussion of the mechanics of the voting, clips of the joyous Rose Garden celebration afterward, and a look ahead to the dynamics of the bill being forwarded to the Senate. There was no discussion about the bill's passage without a CBO score, no reflections on or mention of Paul Ryan's 2009 hypocritical recriminations about passing legislation without CBO, public discussion or debate. No mention at all about any potential downsides to the bill, 24 + million deprived of care, $900 billion cut from Medicaid, outrageously rising premiums for seniors, elimination of the present guarantees for coverage of pre-existing conditions, release of large companies from having to provide insurance to employees. None of that. There was an opinion voiced that 45 had done the opposite of the strategy involved in passing the ACA in '09-'10, president 45 had relied on proper legislative conduct...not the ramming down America's throat like ObamaCare was.

There was positive mention of a savings of $900 billion in spending cuts. The only criticism of the bill's passage was by Meghan McCain, who by and large was supportive of it in general. But she thought the exuberant Rose Garden celebration led by 45 with a gaggle of grinning liver-spotted, fleshy-jowled former frat boys yukking it up behind him a bit much considering it was only one step in a long and complicated process. The only mention of Democratic dissatisfaction was a few seconds clip of Nancy Pelosi talking about the GOP being tattooed by their vote, and the Foxette mentioning this held a paper with Pelosi's talking points in her hand and she expected it to burst into flame any minute. Ha!

It was interesting to see the stark difference in "opinion" from CNN or MSNBC opinion shows, or other objectively inclined media sources, for most definitely this was not a "news" program. But I was interested to see and hear what the other side are bombarded with and why they are conditioned to feel and "think" as they do. Most of my wife's family watches Fox and it is hard sometimes to see how someone who is basically a nice and decent person can become so divorced from reality. Watching a bit of Fox programming, as much as one can stand, can help reveal the reasons for this.

Edited by yadda yadda, 05 May 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#34 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

^ That's sad.

WTFJHT - Day 106: An uncertain fate.

- Labour Market: U.S. added 211,000 new jobs in April. Unemployment a 10 year low at 4.4%, but paired with labour participation falling a bit to 62.9% indicates the labour market is not as health as the unemployment numbers may indicate.
- Refugees: Refugee admissions plummet under Trump's threat to bar entry. In March and April the lowest and second lowest monthly numbers of refugees accepted since 2013.
- Budget: Trump's fiscal 2018 budget would cut 95% from the office leading the charge to combat opioid and drug epidemics.

- Masha Gessen

#35 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

10 or 15 minutes?  I'm surprised you lasted that long, yadda.  I'd be interested in a continuing report of a whole show - but not interested enough to make myself endure it.  I'd like to just tune out but since tv news insist on broadcasting every incoherent utterance from 45's pursed mouth, it's kind of impossible.
Cats will never be extinct!

#36 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostThemis, on 06 May 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

10 or 15 minutes?  I'm surprised you lasted that long, yadda.  I'd be interested in a continuing report of a whole show - but not interested enough to make myself endure it.  I'd like to just tune out but since tv news insist on broadcasting every incoherent utterance from 45's pursed mouth, it's kind of impossible.

Besides that one show, Themis, I recorded a couple other shows too. One was Tucker Carlson's O'Reilly replacement show. I didn't watch for more than 10 seconds at a time, but just enough to determine what each segment was about and then skim by fast forwarding at top speed. I figured he might want to talk a little about the health care bill, but surprisingly no. He had a segment on a shooting in Chicago where police officers were targeted, then a series of weird and not particularly relevant ( to my world) conservative red meat issues ending in an interview of some UCLA professor who says he's being harassed by the university because he's too conservative. Not one mention of health care, positively or negatively. My guess is that Fox considers its viewers like mushrooms. They should be kept in the dark and covered with manure.

#37 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

Vive la sanity!

#38 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

WTFJHT - Day 109: Warned.

- Flynn: Obama warned Trump at their first meeting, less than 48 hours after the election, against hiring Mike Flynn as National Security Advisor due to profound concerns. Sally Yates, former acting AG, is expected to testify today, where it is expected that she will report on what she informed Trump and his administration of in regards to Flynn.
- Muslim/Travel Ban: In front of the courts again.
- EPA: dismissed half of its scientific advisors on a review board, which provides guidance on whether research has sufficient rigour and integrity. They had been given the impression they would be kept on for another term.
- Texas/Sanctuary cities: Texas governor signs state legislation into law that bans sanctuary cities in the state of Texas.

- Masha Gessen

#39 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

WTFJHT - Day 110: Finger pointing.

- Flynn: Trump pointed the finger at Obama for failing to vet Flynn. (yeah, I am lifting a finger too, but it ain't my index).
- Afganistan: Welcome back to the list Afganistan. Last time the US bombed you with the largest non-atomic weapon. What is it this time? Hmm. US poised to expand military efforts against the Taliban, Trump to make a decision soon. The senior military strategy would add *at least* 3,000 more boots on the ground than current (8,400), and they would ask to bolster the US forces by requests for matching troops from NATO.
- Muslim/Travel ban: Trump's administration cited a segregation-era ruling (1971 USSC ruling that courts shouldn't investigate the motives of officials who closed public pools in Jackson Mississippi, rather than integrate them) to defend its travel ban…. Yeah, that 5-4 decision will go over well I am sure....

Edited by sierraleone, 09 May 2017 - 02:00 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#40 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

WTFJHT changed their day's word(s) from "Finger Pointing" to "Fired" (not "You're fired!"? ;) ).

Breaking news, on Jeff Session's advice Trump has fired FBI Directory James Comey due to the feeling he could no longer effectively lead the FBI due to how the Clinton email scandal was handled. Comey was also involved in the FBI investigation to how Russia interfere in the election and/or Trump/campaign possible connections with Russia....

Edited by sierraleone, 09 May 2017 - 06:17 PM.

- Masha Gessen

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users