#42 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 09 May 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

I hope everyone really likes bananas.

Why? Is the not as smart as a chimp in chief, going to make us eat bananas?
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#43 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:15 PM

^ I think it is a reference to "banana republic". Likely in reference to the fact the US really needs an independent investigation/special prosecutor/etc into the Trump-Russia connection, but if anyone had continued to feel that Comey was able to be neutral, how likely are people going to feel about the next FBI director, one that gets appointed by Trump?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#44 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

WTFJHT - Day 111: You're kidding.

- Russian top diplomat Sergey Lavrov: Met with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and sarcastically acknowledged the firing of FBI Director Comey by  saying "Was he fired? You're kidding. You're kidding". Trump also met with the diplomat.
Trump-Russia:
- FBI Director Comey's dismissal: Came a week or less after he asked for additional resources for the Russian investigation from the deputy AG Rod Rosenstein, who has been in his position for 2 weeks, and who wrote the letter that Trump used as his justification for firing Comey.
- Special Prosecutor: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell rejected calls for a Special Prosecutor, or an Independent Commission, saying to do such would impede the current work being done.
- Grand jury subpoenas: Federal Prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas to associates of Michael Flynn seeking business records.

- Masha Gessen

#45 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

View PostElara, on 09 May 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 09 May 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

I hope everyone really likes bananas.

Why? Is the not as smart as a chimp in chief, going to make us eat bananas?

Yes, as sierraleone said, it means we are now officially a banana republic. And I don't mean the kind in the mall next to Old Navy. Soon I'm sure the president will be parading around the Oval Office in a resplendent uniform with epaulettes, medals, and a sash...befitting the dignity of a leader as bigly as himself. And of course a riding crop and a big shiny pearl handled pistol in a sidearm holster. With plenty of dungeons and gallows for his loyal opposition.

#46 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Sorry you two, I wasn't really asking. I forgot to add the winking smiley.

It let me use the "not as smart as a chimp in chief" remark that came to my head. :)
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#47 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostElara, on 10 May 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

Sorry you two, I wasn't really asking. I forgot to add the winking smiley.

It let me use the "not as smart as a chimp in chief" remark that came to my head. :)

I'm gonna do my best to keep "politics" out of this.

I would prefer a chimp any day in the Oval Office to the abomination which currently inhabits it. Even a barrel full of monkeys with an old typewriter could turn out more coherent, meaningful, and legally supportable executive orders. Or tweets.

#48 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

I think it should be obvious to all that 45 in his letter to Comey announcing his firing is invoking the time honored Beetlejuice clause in expressing appreciation to the then FBI Director for supposedly thrice expressing the president's own umbrella of exclusion from any investigation. I am NOT under investigation! I am NOT under investigation! I am NOT under investigation!

#49 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

WTFJHT - Day 112: Contradicting the White House.

I am skipping the stories in there regarding Comey/Russia & related fall-out, FYI. Which is basically all of them except the following:

- "Voter Fraud": Trump signed an EO today to launch a commission to investigate voter/election fraud, the effort to be spear-headed by Mike Pence. (He still can't handle that he lost the popular vote…. How about a commission into gerrymandering?…)
- Cyber Security: Trump signed an EO today intended to bolster government's cyber security.
- "Too Combative": Trump admits White House is too combative. He said it could be his fault, but added that "the only way you survive is to be combative." (Really? That is how world class deal-makers operate?).

- Masha Gessen

#50 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

Regardless of his issues of narcissism, his pathological lying, his inherent dishonesty and probably treasonous black hole of a soul, I think that president 45 today ably demonstrated in his NBC Lester Holt interview that our 45th president is a marginally functioning idiot. A veritable blooming idiot.

#51 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

WTFJHT - Day 113: Another f*ck*ng Twitter tirade.

I might as well just copy Trump's twitter feed…. Again, most of the stuff in here is regarding the Comey fall-out…. In other news:

- Justice: Department of Justice AG Jeff Sessions has directed all his DAs to seek the toughest drug sentences, rolling back Obama-era guidelines of avoiding charging non-violent, less-serious, drug offenders with long mandatory-minimum sentences. ….
- Trump-Russia Business/Money ties: Lawyers said a review of the last 10 year of Trump's taxes don't show any type of income from Russian sources, except for stuff directly related to 2013 Miss Universe pageant that was held in Moscow, as well as property sold to a Russian billionaire in 2008 (for a great deal more than what Trump paid of it). They did not include any tax returns or other documents/proof with their letter.   It was of course worded all lawyerly, and one has to wonder what is hidden being their parsing of the matter. Also, take this as you will: the law firm he used is a U.S. based but international law firm called Morgan Lewis, and it's Moscow office won recognition in 2016 as the "Russian Law Firm of the Year".

Edited by sierraleone, 12 May 2017 - 01:27 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#52 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 12 May 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

- Justice: Department of Justice AG Jeff Sessions has directed all his DAs to seek the toughest drug sentences, rolling back Obama-era guidelines of avoiding charging non-violent, less-serious, drug offenders with long mandatory-minimum sentences. ….

To quote 'Ever After': "If you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners corrupted from infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded, sire, but that you first make thieves and then punish them?"

Meaning, if they take non-violent people and send them to prison, they will then turn them into violent people. Good job, Sessions. :no:
El

#53 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

I was just thinking, while reflecting upon the fact that 45 refuses to issue any further comment on his "threat" tweet to Comey about "taped" conversations. Both through Spicer's no comment and an interview on Fox where 45 said he couldn't talk about the subject. Here's the text of the tweet...

"James Comey better hope there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!"

45 likes to consider himself so inscrutable and clever. What if when push comes to shove a week or two down the line when Congress is trying to subpoena his likely imaginary "tapes", 45 just haughtily tweets out again or says on Fox that his tweet was meant to warn Comey that he had better hope that he (Comey) had not "taped" 45 during their dinner conversations. The tweet is typically 45-ishly imprecise and ambiguously phrased. This alternate context for the taping COULD be claimed or argued. And 45 Is just weird enough and detached from reality to swear this take as the truth. 45's past tweeting history has focused on his paranoia about being surveilled/tapped by Obama and his minions. In his frame of "mind" 45 could claim that Comey was an Obama minion, a possible source of the "wiretapping" campaign against him, and capable of "taping" his dinner conversations or phone calls. Just a possible view from an alternative 45 universe...

Edited by yadda yadda, 13 May 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#54 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:23 AM

Just a feeling, no particular reason. But I think the huge crap storm coalescing around 45 will become too much for him to deal with, mentally and emotionally. I think he will resign before the Fourth of July holiday or at least suffer a nervous breakdown and have to have Pence step in while they suit him up in a straitjacket and feed him Nurse Rachett loopy pills.

#55 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

^ Hard to say. He has this whole stubborn don't personally admit defeat/wrong doing thing, and that has always worked for him before. But then he has always been isolated from full consequences of his choices, he has never been held to account like he is now. But it is not those in the White House giving him a dose of reality, it is largely the news media, with a supporting help from activism when personally seen by him or reported by the press, showing him he doesn't have great support by the people.

- Masha Gessen

#56 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

Gawd, just read a transcript of his Fox interview.

https://www.mediamat...credible/216438

The last couple lines, about maybe stopping the daily press meeting:

"They'll be very unhappy, because the ratings are so high that I don't know what these networks are going to do. They are going to start to cry. They get free ratings because of me and yet they don't treat us fairly."

- To have higher ratings now means they had lower ratings before. I think they will be able to deal with it, they have done so before.
- They'll "cry" *rolls eyes*. If you mean they'll be criticizing stoping the daily press briefing it doesn't mean it is all due to ratings, there are others concerns besides ratings and self image idiot.
- Um, what does getting high ratings from something mean the media should treat something more "fairly" or with more deference? I guess natural or man-made disasters should also be given positive coverage by media? Ugh.

- Masha Gessen

#57 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:34 AM

^^ That whole interview is just more of 45's brand of self-absorbed lunacy, all about tv ratings as if that is all that matters to himself and everyone else. But the sad and revealing truth about his inarticulate word pesto is highlighted in his first response to Pirro's first question. Granted, the question is asked in a mirrored version of 45's inarticulate speech pattern, probably figuring pidgin English is all he can understand or all that Fox viewers can understand. But she asks him what to do about Comey and how to resolve the discrepancies in WH accounts of the firing? An oblique and garbled reference to how to explain the firing since Pence and his people gave accounts that contradicted his own and since he has obviously already "done about Comey".

45's "answer" is a typical long rambling mish-mash of stops and starts, whining about how Sarah and Sean get no respect or any slack. All the high energy stuff he does all day talking to Russia, China, Japan. How we should probably get rid of press briefings because wouldn't that be peeing in the media's soup? Oh, they'd be so crushed to lose the bigly ratings his jacked up dysfunctional administration provides as people tune in daily to watch, "As The Lie Turns". But not a word offered in answer to the original question of how to resolve the fact Pence, Spicer, and Huckabee-Sanders told a completely different story about Comey's firing than 45 himself. Not a word. At least when Alec Baldwin mocks 45's vomiting up of cave man like utterance fragments he usually converts it to understandable somewhat relevant sentences. Listening to the real 45 sounds like he's talking with his mouth half full and his brain 3/4 empty.

#58 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,985 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

I wonder if anyone realizes that if there are no White House press briefings, that's about a hundred reporters who will then be out actually doing investigative journalism into the White House...

#59 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

^A hundred more chances of someone finding the new "Deep Throat". As if there Isn't a line around the block of WH crooks and associates looking to start singing and sink this blowhard's battleship.

Edited by yadda yadda, 14 May 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#60 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

For those who haven't yet heard, today's "Daily 45 Gobsmacker" is a story in the Washington Post (search WaPo, Trump releases classified information) that while hosting the Russian Foreign Minister, Ambassador, and Tass photographer, 45 bragged about his "great Intel" and told them about highly classified information from a partner intel source about the recent ISIS laptop scare on international flights. This is information we weren't even supposed to share with our allies, much less an adversary like Russia. WaPo said the classified Intel disseminated could imperil by identifying the source within ISIS that provided this sensitive information.

The gaffe, or "going off script" by 45 shocked an incredulous group of NSC staff, obviously at least one of whom saw fit to leak the situation to the Washington Post, unless it was the CIA or NSA themselves. LEAKS! :) The Post was asked by Intel sources (CIA) to please not post details of the story in the paper, to after the fact continue to protect the ISIS source's identity, a courtesy and imperative evidently not considered or of import to the POTUS. Go check out the story or tune into a news program for details, you can't miss it. Unless you're a Republican in Congress, I suppose.

Edited by yadda yadda, 15 May 2017 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users