69 replies to this topic

#41 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 June 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

You don't love that title? I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.  
And it would be so easy to come up with something better, like "Surfin' R.I.P." or something.  :lol:

It was a combination of factors. Apparently Marianne's mother died and that created a rift between her and her father. She also rejected the suburban, 9 to 5 values that her father espoused and wanted to live a different type of life.    
Makes sense, especially in the 70s.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#42 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:50 AM

Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries – Arson and Old Lace

I feel like I should give this episode two different ratings. Overall it is a terrific episode and almost feels like a season finale. On the other hand, for the last episode featuring Nancy it isn’t that great when it comes to her character.

The plot sees Frank, Joe, their father, and Nancy’s father trying one last ditch attempt to locate Nancy, who disappeared six months ago. The police have exhausted their leads and are no longer actively pursuing it.

Nancy has been kidnapped by an older gentleman named Rathbone. He is a corporate businessman who hasn’t left his penthouse apartment in over twenty years. Nancy came to his attention when she helped put away one of his associates. She was getting close to uncovering all of Rathbone’s illegal dealings so he had her kidnapped because she reminds him of his ex wife Graeta.

He has her wear a dress Graeta once wore in a movie and he makes her watch Graeta’s old movies every day. He tells Nancy that she will be released once he dies.

The brothers eventually discover the Rathbone connection and go to his building to scope the place out. Unfortunately they arrive at the same time as an arsonist who has been torching buildings all over L.A. As the building begins to burn Frank heads to the penthouse to save Nancy while Joe helps people, including the arsonist and a little girl, escape the building.

The building on fire aspect of the episode is really good. They went all out on it and the episode makes you believe that a 16 story building is on fire and that Frank and Nancy are trapped in the penthouse. I was definitely reminded of The Towering Inferno.

The arsonist plot ties nicely into the Nancy is kidnapped plot. The young arsonist is Graeta’s daughter, who is burning all of Rathbone’s buildings to get revenge on him for the fact that her mother died penniless and alone in an asylum.

The main problem with the episode is Nancy. She is really passive here. She has been held captive for six months and she hasn’t done anything to free herself. When Frank arrives and the building catches on fire she acts more like a generic damsel in distress than the experienced detective we know her to be.

Aside from that, this was a really strong episode and one I highly recommend.

Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries - Campus Terror

This is the final episode of season 2 and it is just okay. The plot had potential, but the execution was off and the culprit ended up being silly.

Three women have been abducted at Eastlake University. The kidnapper calls the sorority house that his latest victim is from and says that no one can stop him, not even Frank and Joe Hardy.

The police investigating call up the Hardy Boys to see if they have any idea why the abductor might have name dropped them. They don’t but they head to the college anyway to try to solve the case. For Joe the case is personal because an ex-girlfriend named Wendy is a member of the same sorority where the other girls have been abducted from.

The episode has a nice set-up. Three young women have been taken and no one knows why. No ransom has been made. After the brothers arrive Wendy is attacked and eventually kidnapped as well as another girl. The stakes keep getting higher.

There are about two main reasons the episode didn’t fully work for me. The first is that the red herring literally come out of nowhere and nothing is done with them.

A professor who works at the campus was involved in an experiment ten years ago where he drugged students to try and make them less aggressive. It turned out bad and Fenton helped put him away. He has now changed his name and apparently given up his evil ways. His back story wasn’t as developed as I would have liked and I felt he was ruled out as a suspect too quickly.

The other main red herring is the deformed boyfriend of one of the sorority members. He literally shows up from nowhere. He tells the brothers that he was in a car wreck a year ago and it left part of his face deformed and he hasn’t had the nerve to approach his girlfriend in all that time. Again, this was a character and turn of events that weren’t developed as much as they should have been. The character is in one scene and is then never seen or heard from again.

The second reason is the identity of the culprit. It turns out that Wendy is the kidnapper, or should I say Gwen. Wendy has a split personality, with Gwen being the bad girl. She has decided to kidnap Wendy’s friends because she is sick of good girl Wendy running things.

This was just a ludicrous plot twist. I could have bought it had we been given any real justification for Gwen’s actions but we aren’t. We are told that Wendy had a tough childhood but that she overcame it and has made something of herself. Gwen is who Wendy might have been had she not done well in school and gone to college. That’s fine, but no reason is given for why Gwen has surfaced now or if she has taken over before. Her reasoning for kidnapping Wendy’s friends is kind of dumb and it isn’t clear if she was just going to leave them in the abandoned amusement park or if she was going to kill them.

The episode ends with Wendy in a psychiatric hospital promising Joe that Gwen is gone. The brothers leave and the camera pans up to Wendy’s hospital room window, where she is watching the boys walk way while smoking, hinting that Gwen is still alive and possibly back in control.

There were some good things I liked about the episode. There are some nice callbacks to previous episodes. The cop in charge of the case believes the reason the kidnapper mentioned the brothers is because of the exposure they received after rescuing Nancy last episode. I have liked how this series remembers past episodes and events. Sure it isn’t serialized in any shape, way, or form but it does remember that these characters have been on past adventures and doesn’t mind mentioning them.

I thought it was funny, if a bit ludicrous, that both brothers forgot their cover identities within minutes of making them up. Joe goes from being a grad student at MIT to being a child prodigy that is now teaching at MIT.

Still, this was a rather weak episode to end the season on. I now have just the third season to go. That season won’t feature Nancy at all and apparently goes in a more serious direction. I guess I’m about to find out if I like it or not.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#43 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 05 August 2018 - 01:50 AM, said:

Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries – Arson and Old Lace
The writer of this episode really went all out on the homages:  An old movie pun in the title, a callout to Basil Rathbone, and Howard Hughes as the villain.  Not to mention the Towering Inferno angle.

The main problem with the episode is Nancy. She is really passive here. She has been held captive for six months and she hasn’t done anything to free herself. When Frank arrives and the building catches on fire she acts more like a generic damsel in distress than the experienced detective we know her to be.  
I agree, that's no way to treat the character, especially in her swan song. They should have at least justified it by having her drugged or something.  Even so, her final appearance should have been a grand adventure for her.

This was just a ludicrous plot twist. I could have bought it had we been given any real justification for Gwen’s actions but we aren’t. We are told that Wendy had a tough childhood but that she overcame it and has made something of herself. Gwen is who Wendy might have been had she not done well in school and gone to college. That’s fine, but no reason is given for why Gwen has surfaced now or if she has taken over before.
And why did she name drop the Hardy Boys?  A cry for help?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#44 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

I agree, that's no way to treat the character, especially in her swan song. They should have at least justified it by having her drugged or something.  Even so, her final appearance should have been a grand adventure for her.

I wish it had been a grand adventure for her. Unfortunately it wasn't. She had a better showing in Mystery of the Avalanche Express. It really is a sad way for her character to go out.

And why did she name drop the Hardy Boys?  A cry for help?

I think so, but by the time they got around to explanations I was half tuning out.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#45 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

The Hardy Boys – The Last Kiss of Summer Part 1

I put off watching this for two reasons. The first reason is that I have been enjoying this show and didn’t want it to end. The second reason is because the show gets re-tooled this season and I wasn’t happy about the changes.

The plot sees Joe about to get married. Joe and his fiancée are driving home after a wedding rehearsal when they are driven off the road by a drunk driver. Joe survives, but his fiancée does not. Joe wants justice but learns that the driver, a young man named Jocko, is the subject of an FBI investigation into a murder/robbery that happened six years ago. This makes Joe see mad, and he goes undercover to bring Jocko down without help from anyone, including Frank.

I have had a hard time deciding whether I actually like this episode or not. It is a change from the previous two seasons. This is a slightly darker, more mature show. What I liked about the last two seasons was the fact that they didn’t mind being campy and doing shows about haunted houses, Dracula, Santa Clause, voodoo, UFOs, etc.

There’s not a lot of levity here. Joe’s fiancée is killed off within ten minutes and Joe descends into grief and anger and pushes everyone away. It is a rather dark direction for the character, though similar to what the character will go through in the first novel of the Hardy Boys Casefiles.

One problem with the episode is that we don’t get to know the fiancée well at all. I keep calling her the fiancée because I can’t remember her name, which should tell you something. Joe is already in love with her at the start of the episode and proposes to her within a few minutes. She dies soon after that. There is no emotional attachment to the character so I wasn’t as invested in her death or anything that happens afterwards.

I do have to say that, while I wasn’t a fan of the new direction, the episode does pull it off well. There is genuine tension here as Joe buddies up to Jocko while pushing Frank away. You get the sense that Joe is losing himself and that maybe this new persona isn’t just an act.

Cassidy and Stevenson put in some great work here, especially Cassidy. He proves that he can handle darker material and not just the light hearted stuff of the previous two seasons.

The episode even makes you kind of like Jocko, who comes across as less of a monster and more of a damaged person. He is loyal to his new friend Joe and tries to help him out. Of course, in this case he is helping him by attempting to kill Frank, whom Jocko believes is working for the police to arrest Joe.

The episode does end on a cliffhanger that made me feel like I was watching an episode from season 1 or 2. Jocko has Frank go surfboarding in waters that the local college has filled with sharks. One of those sharks heads straight for Frank to take a big old bite out of him.

I can’t be too harsh on this episode because it isn’t bad. Yes, it is a new direction for the show and I’m not a fan of that direction yet (the other episodes in the season might be really good) but there isn’t anything wrong with the episode. It is written, directed, and acted well. There is a real sense of peril hanging over the characters, especially Joe as he works his way into Jocko’s good graces. I’m willing to give this season a shot, though I hope they lighten the tone up a bit after this two-parter is over.

Rosemary and Thyme – And No Birds Sing

I have seen this series described as a cozy mystery show, and that sums it up quite nicely. This is the type of show perfect for watching on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

The show revolves around the two main characters: Rosemary Boxer and Laura Thyme. Rosemary is a lecturer for horticulture at a university, a job she has held for 18 years. Laura used to be a constable until she married and had children. The two women meet at low points for both of them: Rosemary is fired from her job by her boss (and ex-lover) in the form of a letter. Laura’s husband has just left her for a much younger woman.

The two meet in a quaint village where they are both staying at a local hotel. Rosemary is there because a bed ridden former student has asked her to help identify what is killing off the trees on his property. Laura is there to stay with an old friend and his wife to get comfort.

It isn’t long after the two women meet that Laura’s friend dies under mysterious circumstances, and they identify the maid working for Rosemary’s ex student as the Wicked Witch of Withersedge, a woman accused of poisoning two husbands in her younger years.

The mystery isn’t all that deep because there aren’t a lot of suspects but it does manage to add a nice twist at the end. The clues are there to discover the culprit and there is at least one or two red herrings.

What really makes the episode (and the series) work is the friendship between Rosemary and Laura. The two have vastly different lives yet they complement one another quite well. Rosemary is an academic type who has left a line of ex-lovers behind her, never settling down or having a family. Laura has spent a good portion of her life married and raising children. They each bring something different to the friendship and to their crime solving partnership.

Something I appreciated is the fact that Laura used to be a constable and that her husband remained a policeman while they were married. It helps to explain why these two women are so good at solving crimes. Laura has experience. Not only that, but Laura’s son Matthew is a policeman now and Laura can ask him for help like she does in this episode. In fact, Matthew is one of the few recurring characters on the show.

Oh, I should also mention Rosemary’s old, beat up Land Rover. It feels like a third main character in its own right.

Rosemary and Thyme won’t set the mystery genre on fire but it accomplishes what it sets out to do: be a cozy mystery series with great chemistry between the two leads and be extremely entertaining.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#46 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

The first hints of the upcoming Darker & Grittier wave are making themselves known, apparently.

#47 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:07 PM

The Hardy Boys – The Last Kiss of Summer Part 2

I just wasn’t feeling this episode. There were some good things about it but overall it was pretty weak.

One of the problems I had was the episode felt really padded. Joe’s plan involves making sure Jocko wins a lot of money from betting on a basketball game. Five minutes were spent on watching the game and Jocko’s reactions as his team played. It was utterly pointless. There are a lot of padded scenes like that here.
Joe’s plan works, and the Feds capture both Jocko and his partner for their years old crime. However, Joe isn’t even there to watch it happen. He has been fueled by vengeance this entire time and he doesn’t even go to make sure the final part of his plan works.

The ending to the cliffhanger was boring. Frank sees the shark, stops paddling, and waits for the shark to leave before swimming to shore. There was no tension.

Once again we are forced to watch cheesy flashbacks as Joe reminisces about his fiancé. There is just no emotional impact because she was barely a character. She existed as a plot device, and I’m almost certain she won’t be mentioned again.

The end of the episode does set up the new status quo, as Frank and Joe are recruited to become government agents by the Justice Department.

This is a short review but I honestly don’t know what else to say about this two-parter. I wasn’t a fan.

Rosemary and Thyme – Arabica and the Early Spider

Rosemary and Laura are now working together to renovate gardens. They have been hired by an aging rock star to create new gardens for his recently bought mansion, which he is restoring. There have already been a number of strange accidents around the mansion when the bones of a horse are dug out. Shortly after that the rock star is murdered, and the bones of a woman are also dug up. Laura and Rosemary decide to investigate.

This episode introduces the formula the show would rely on for its entire run. The two women are hired to do gardening work and stumble across a murder and decide to investigate whether it pertains to them or not.

It’s funny; in real life I’m not sure if I would like these two ladies because they are extremely nosy. Rosemary and Laura have no real reason to investigate the murder but they do anyways. In the course of their investigation they interrogate a lot of people and ask a lot of intrusive questions. Of course, the two actresses have a lot of charm and so they are able to keep their characters likeable.

The mystery here is rather good. The bones of a horse and woman being buried on the grounds of a dilapidated mansion, combined with the murder of the rock star, makes this one something of a head scratcher. There are enough red herrings to complicate matters and make it hard to deduce who the culprit is.

In a running bit the inspector in charge of the investigation assumes that Rosemary and Laura are a couple since they work together and share a room in the mansion. He treats them rather badly, which makes the two women decide to keep a clue they found to themselves.

This was a really good episode and helps to set the tone for the show. Rosemary and Laura are likeable characters and are fully fleshed out. The mystery was rather good. There were a few tense moments when Laura and Rosemary were in danger. You could do a lot worse for a mystery show.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#48 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 31 October 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

The end of the episode does set up the new status quo, as Frank and Joe are recruited to become government agents by the Justice Department.  
That's weird, and rather unlikely.  :lol:

This episode introduces the formula the show would rely on for its entire run. The two women are hired to do gardening work and stumble across a murder and decide to investigate whether it pertains to them or not.  
That must be the weirdest premise for a mystery show ever.  :D

#49 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:55 AM

That's weird, and rather unlikely.  :lol:

It makes sense in the context of the episode. The crooks Joe is after have been on the Justice Department radar for a long time. They decide to help Joe since his plan looks like it will work. Once the crooks are nabbed, the JD agents decide having a couple of young, intelligent detectives working for them would be a good idea.

That must be the weirdest premise for a mystery show ever.  :D

It is, but it works. The show was apparently a hit in the UK but was cancelled because it was expensive to produce since it was a lot of location work and because the short growing season there created complications.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#50 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:13 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 09 November 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

It makes sense in the context of the episode. The crooks Joe is after have been on the Justice Department radar for a long time. They decide to help Joe since his plan looks like it will work. Once the crooks are nabbed, the JD agents decide having a couple of young, intelligent detectives working for them would be a good idea.  
I don't know if I like the idea of the Hardy Boys working for the government.  It seems too far afield from the core concept.

It is, but it works. The show was apparently a hit in the UK but was cancelled because it was expensive to produce since it was a lot of location work and because the short growing season there created complications.  
So not just the weirdest premise, but the weirdest reason for cancellation.  :D

#51 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:35 PM

I don't know if I like the idea of the Hardy Boys working for the government.  It seems too far afield from the core concept.

It is a big shift, but I think that's what the powers that be wanted. A more grown-up version of the characters dealing with more serious threats.

So not just the weirdest premise, but the weirdest reason for cancellation.  :D

Pretty much.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#52 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

Murder, She Wrote – Magnum on Ice

This is a review of the Mangum, P.I and Murder, She Wrote cross-over episodes. I received the third season of Murder, She Wrote as a Christmas gift and skipped to these episodes because I was curious as to how they would play out.

Before I review the episodes I want to say I don’t like how the DVD has collected the episodes. The Magnum episode is the first part of the cross-over and it is on the last disc as a bonus and not on the same disc as the MSW episode. Not only that, but the Magnum episode is the one with the alternate ending that wraps up the entire mystery, and not the one that ends on a cliffhanger. Fortunately the MSW episode had an extensive recap so I could see how the original part ended.

Things kick off early as Higgins is driving three women to Robin’s estate. They are Pamela (a publisher working with Robin), Joan (a woman who inherited her husband’s electronics business after his death) and Amy (Joan’s secretary). They are run off the road by a mysterious stranger. Magnum thinks it could be a big deal and that they are still in danger but Higgins doesn’t want him on the case. Besides, Pamela has called in an investigator from the mainland.

It turns out that the investigator is Jessica Fletcher, who is quick to point out that she is not an investigator and only there because her friend Pamela asked her to be. Still, she gets involved in the case and tries to help Magnum. Eventually Magnum discovers a hitman who is after one of the guests (though they aren’t sure which one). At a party thrown by a man named Jason Magnum spots the hitman and runs after him. The two trade shots and Magnum finds the hitman dead, shot in the back. Not only that, but the hitman’s gun is nowhere to be seen. Magnum is arrested. With Magnum in jail, it is up to Jessica to solve the case and prove Magnum’s innocence.

I liked these episodes a lot more than I thought I would. The two shows are very different but Jessica fits in very naturally with Magnum and his cast. It is too bad that we didn’t see Magnum travel to Cabot Cove and interact with Jessica’s supporting cast.

Magnum and Jessica don’t butt heads but Magnum doesn’t take Jessica seriously since she is only a mystery writer. Jessica really doesn’t take offence at that. She just keeps doing her thing because she knows she will solve the case eventually. It did annoy me that she never mentioned any of the numerous murders she has already solved. There is being humble and not wanting to brag and being stupid and not disclosing that you have a penchant for solving crime.

Higgins develops a crush on Jessica which I found to be funny. It doesn’t look like Jessica reciprocates but who knows? Stranger things have happened.

The mystery itself was well done with a lot of red herrings. At first no one is sure who the hitman is after. Higgins thinks he might be the target. All three women have secrets that make them likely targets. Once the hitman is killed the mystery shifts to who murdered him and framed Magnum, which still ties into the original mystery of who the hitman as after. The mystery deepens when a second person is murdered only an hour after Magnum made bail, making it look like he killed again.

What I liked about the mystery is that once the killer is revealed all the little clues that were laid out in the two episodes make sense and point to the killer. That isn’t always the case. Not only that, but the red herrings serve their own purposes too and help to drive the plot forward.

There are a good number of scenes featuring Jessica and Magnum working together and trying to solve the case, which is what you want to see in a cross-over like this. Magnum does come to admire Jessica for her ability to solve the case.

Rick and T.C. have a small role in the first episode as they try to get Magnum to invest in some property where a new hotel is going to be built. Of course it turns out to be a scam and the land is not a place tourists would probably want to go. It has no real connection to the mystery but was an amusing diversion. Both characters disappear completely in the second episode. You’d think they would want to help out Magnum.

All in all I thought this was a successful cross-over between two shows that really only share a basic premise and not much else. It makes me sad that they didn’t do another cross-over.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#53 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 06 January 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

This is a review of the Mangum, P.I and Murder, She Wrote cross-over episodes.
Interesting I had no idea there was such a thing.   Real crossovers between adventure shows are few and far between, unfortunately, and I would have liked to see more of them.

It is too bad that we didn’t see Magnum travel to Cabot Cove and interact with Jessica’s supporting cast.  
Yeah, they definitely should have structured the story to have each character in the other's comfort zone.

There are a good number of scenes featuring Jessica and Magnum working together and trying to solve the case, which is what you want to see in a cross-over like this. Magnum does come to admire Jessica for her ability to solve the case.  
That's good. I hate it when there's a "crossover" and it's really just a cameo, like when Dan Tanna met Charlie's Angels.

#54 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

The Hardy Boys – Assault on the Tower

This felt more like a first or second season episode. Part of that had to do with the plot: Fenton Hardy has been kidnapped by an old friend who is now a bad guy and the boys have to fly off to London to save him. Several episodes featured plots similar to this. It seems as if everyone Fenton knew years ago has turned into a criminal mastermind.

The second reason is that the events of the last two episodes, save for the brothers mentioning they are now working for the State Department, are ignored. This is for the best IMO.

Basically, Fenton has disappeared in London so Frank and Joe head there on the down low to try and find their dad. Their handler at the State Department more or less told them not to go but they’re not listening. Once there they get involved in a plot by members of Fenton’s old WWII unit to break into the Tower of London and rob the Crown Jewels.

This was a pretty enjoyable episode. The mystery was rather good as the brothers try to work out why their father was taken and navigate the world of British spies. This includes meeting a man called the Messenger, who used to be in the spy game. Now he makes clocks and seems to be a bit off his rocker.

The boys stir up a hornet’s nest and they are attacked. Frank is captured, leaving Joe to team up with a British agent he isn’t 100% sure he can trust to find his dad and brother.

The heist itself is well executed and full of some tense moments. It really seems like the bad guys might get away with it.

I do wish Frank hadn’t been side lined in the episode. We just had two episodes where the brothers were estranged from each other so I was hoping for an episode where they worked together. They do at first but Frank is captured pretty early on.

I wasn’t sure what I would think about season 3 after those first two episodes but this one shows that the season might not be a complete disaster. Let’s hope the rest of the episodes are as good as this one.

Hardy Boys – Search for Atlantis

In this episode we see the brothers get their first official assignment for the State Department. An agent who was investigating drug smuggling on a small island off of Greece has gone missing, presumed dead. The brothers are to go undercover as archaeology students to a dig on the island and get to the bottom of what the mystery.

Once there they discover that the archaeologists are searching for Atlantis and that it has been plagued by accidents. The boys have to discover if the accidents are related to the death of the agent and find out who the killer is.

Overall I liked this episode. It felt more like a return to form for the series. The brothers work together and have good banter. The mystery is decent and has a few twists.

One thing that felt a little sour is that Joe makes out with some random woman working on the dig. It feels a little wrong considering everything that happened in The Last Kiss of Summer. There isn’t even any acknowledgment that he just recently lost the woman he was going to marry. It is treated just like any fling Joe has had on the series.

Frank also gets his own romance, but it is more fleshed out. The woman is Elena, the second in command on the dig. Frank impresses her with his knowledge of archaeology and she takes a liking to him. Of course, there is more to it than that since Elena is working with two other people on the dig and they are suspicious of these late additions to their crew.

The episode plays it mostly straight, and the search for Atlantis comes to naught. If this had been a season 1 or 2 episode my guess is they would have thrown in some crazy Atlantis connection. We are talking about the show that suggested Dracula is real, that Santa Claus exists, and that ghosts might actually haunt houses among other things.

The mystery was pretty good, especially since it got tied into the “accidents” that the dig was having. There’s also a nice twist about fake artifacts being placed amongst real ones.

This episode seemed to have better one off characters than we usually get. Elena was a good love interest. The chief of police was quite a character, constantly quoting ancient Greek philosophers. The two brothers who ran the local inn made for a nice comedic duo.

I feel like season 3 might have gotten off to a rough start but it is getting better. I still miss Nancy and I wish those first two episodes didn’t exist but so far this season hasn’t been as bad as I had originally feared.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#55 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:38 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 05 May 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

Fenton Hardy has been kidnapped by an old friend who is now a bad guy and the boys have to fly off to London to save him. Several episodes featured plots similar to this. It seems as if everyone Fenton knew years ago has turned into a criminal mastermind.  
He does seem to be a bad influence.  I hope the boys don't turn to the dark side.  :D

Once there they get involved in a plot by members of Fenton’s old WWII unit to break into the Tower of London and rob the Crown Jewels.  
It seems strange now to remember a time when there were WWII veteran's everywhere.

The episode plays it mostly straight, and the search for Atlantis comes to naught. If this had been a season 1 or 2 episode my guess is they would have thrown in some crazy Atlantis connection.  
That's a little disappointing, but then I don't think there were any outre elements in the real Hardy Boys books.

#56 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

In related news, The CW has picked up a Nancy Drew series for next season, along with Batwoman and the Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene. This is at least the second attempt at a Nancy Drew series in the past few years; Sarah Shahi did a failed pilot for a show about an adult Nancy a while back, before she starred in last season's Reverie. The CW's version will feature a Nancy just out of high school, played by Kennedy McMann, with Freddie Prinze, Jr. playing her father.

https://variety.com/...off-1203208388/
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#57 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

Hardy Boys – Dangerous Waters

I really enjoyed this episode. As of right now I’d say it is my favorite season 3 episode. The Hardy boys are dispatched to the Caribbean to search for a young American woman who has gone missing. The local police have been no help so the woman’s mother has contacted the State Department. The brothers soon discover that the case involves modern day piracy as well as the location of pirate treasure.

I wasn’t sure about the new State Department approach but I felt that this episode made it work. It gives the brothers a legitimacy they didn’t have before and gets them into places they might not have been able to before.

The mystery here is a good one. There are basically two different threads at play. The woman, Ria, disappears because of what she might have seen in a warehouse she hid in from a man stalking her. The warehouse is connected to modern day pirates while the stalker is connected to the ancient pirate treasure. There is also a really good twist towards the end.

The banter between Frank and Joe is back at its best. The brothers play well off each other. Both get to contribute to solving the case. What is also refreshing is that neither puts the moves on Ria. Usually the female guest star has a romance with one of the brothers.

It wouldn’t be a Hardy Boys episode if one of the brothers didn’t end up captured and here it is Joe’s turn. He does get held in a pretty cool medieval castle so it could have been worse.

Robert Loggia plays a local who helps the brothers and he is one of the better guest stars. His character, Jean, provides a lot of the comic relief for the episode. His niece thinks he is an angel whereas he is actually something of a drunken brawler.

I do feel like season 3 is back on track after such a rough start. That is both bad and good because it hopefully means the next batch of episodes will be strong but at the same time there are very few episodes left.

It seems strange now to remember a time when there were WWII veteran's everywhere.

As a kid of the late 80s, early 90s that was never my reality all that much. It was more Vietnam vets and now of course Afghanistan and Iraq war vets.

That's a little disappointing, but then I don't think there were any outre elements in the real Hardy Boys books.

True, but they were elements that I liked about this show and I have missed them in this more serious season.

In related news, The CW has picked up a Nancy Drew series for next season, along with Batwoman and the Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene. This is at least the second attempt at a Nancy Drew series in the past few years; Sarah Shahi did a failed pilot for a show about an adult Nancy a while back, before she starred in last season's Reverie. The CW's version will feature a Nancy just out of high school, played by Kennedy McMann, with Freddie Prinze, Jr. playing her father.

Interesting. The CW has released a trailer for it:

It looks like a cross between Riverdale and Veronica Mars with a dash of the supernatural thrown in. It does make me curious if the show will have actual ghosts on it or if there are logical explanations for everything. It looks like the mystery of Lucy Sable will drive the first season. I'll give it a watch and see if it hooks me.

There is also a Nancy Drew move available, called Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase starring Sophia Lillis, one of the break-out stars from It. I've seen the movie and enjoyed it. I'll try and get a review for it up soon.

Hopefully if Nancy Drew does well we can get a Hardy Boys series as well.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#58 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,619 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

The trailer looks kinda promising ...

Albeit, they seem to be pushing a romantic subplot with all the intrigue and mysteries surrounding it.  Also, it looks as if the mystery and
investigation will last the entire season, and of course it would be a murder.  Well, I’ll give it a try to see how it turns out.

That said, I think the trailer to the movie (see below) is closer to the spirit of the [original] books.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man himself

Edited by G-man, 23 May 2019 - 12:13 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#59 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

Both of those look decent.  The new series seems to have an interesting retro vibe, although it clearly takes place in the present-- and the original Nancy Drew was even more retro than that.  And, of course, it will just have one mystery spread out interminably through the whole season. I might give it a try, though.

The best Nancy Drew adaptations, though, were the Bonita Granville movies in the 30s. I love those. She made a perfect Nancy Drew.

#60 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,619 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

I confess, the first Nancy Drew I saw on film starred Emma Roberts, and the film struck me as being more a satire, than an straightforward adaptation.  On the plus side, it was that film that made me seek out the books ... and then seek out the facsimiles of the original editions, which were far superior to the version that's been around since the '50s.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, 70s nostalgia

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users