E-mail was Hacked

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,265 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

It was a Yahoo e-mail and I had to get a whole new one.  My question is is there any way to safely get the e-mails still at the old account?  I don't want to put anything at risk and the Yahoo techs said it wasn't safe to retrieve anything because it had been taken over by foreign spammers.  But it couldn't hurt to ask our tech god Orph, right?  It's worth a shot, right?

If there is any chance, any way, I can save some e-mails I want, I simply have to ask.  If there isn't and I've truly lost everything than I can learn to live with it.  I just must ask first since it doesn't hurt to ask?
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,179 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. And sadder that Yahoo is incapable of doing anything about it.

I think there are ways to save your emails. There should be a way to retrieve them through Outlook and then export them as a PST file. And I'm pretty sure there is freeware that can do it.  But I'll let Orpheus respond, because he knows far more than I do.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,265 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

Complicating matters is that I'm locked out of the account.  It won't take my password.  Yahoo did that because the account was red flagged when the spammers got it.  But I guess if they can get in, a good guy tech guy can probably get in.

In any case, I know Orph is busy and I just posted this today so I'll wait as long as necessary.  But  RJ, I do want you to know how much it means to me that you took the time to reply.  You have given me a little hope and even if that is a dangerous thing and maybe not possible, you cared.  And caring is always a good thing.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,179 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

You're welcome. :hugs:  I do care. I'd hate to see you lose emails that are obviously important to you. I know how meaningful stuff like that can be.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,588 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:23 PM

Sorry, Yahoo God, I'm not.

Actually, I suppose we ought to be glad of that.

Yahoo has a hodgepodge of policies/frameworks. Most of its various services were companies it bought out, patches, companies it bought because their now-Frankensteined monster was buggy... repeat as necessary (or unnecessary), Soon after Marissa Mayer became CEO of Yahoo in 2012, she became frustrated at how poor internal communications and operational work were, and pushed for a complete overhaul (read: more kludges upon kludges) on everything from  the internal tools/systems to the Yahoo mail system. When she had employee traffic audited to find out why things weren't improving more, she discovered that 75% of Yahoo employees weren't using Yahoo Mail in the performance of their Yahoo duties (or in most cases, anywhere else either).  She cajoled and threatened until finally, Yahoo's internal use of Yahoo Mail climbed over 50% then finally over 70% (which is well under the rate Google employees have always used Gmail -- though I don't blame any employee for keeping SOME of their communications out of their bosses hands)

Ordinarily, I'd suppose a black-hat hacker might  be able to help you, but since Yahoo has locked your account, I doubt you'd be able to find much interest among blackhats -- too much risk, too little reward. I can only suggest cajoling Yahoo employees as individuals, especially beyond the frontline email support people (or outside the email support entirely -- try contacts in other departments).

Personally, I've had poor experiences trying to rescue many people's data from Yahoo-acquired or -divested services over the past 15 years. Then again, I am neither as cute as you nor as good a baker. IIRC, Duke said you made killer cookies (Brownies? Fudge? Dammit, didn't Beka say the key to management was knowing where the goodies were buried? What, "bodies"? I'm sure she MEANT "goodies") That may help -- if you can find where to send them.

VERY few Yahoo support employees have been around long enough to know the ins-and-outs of "the last system" much less the one before that. That's neither expected nor desired. Also, automated tools aren't made available to them (if they are made for any level of management at all). In addition, top management feels (as most of Silicon Valley does) that it would simply be better for you, the user, to [abandon your existing work and] pivot to their newest business plan. Google and Microsoft (Windows Mail,  Hotmail) have been just as bad (arguably worse) in that regard: they've canceled entire non-mail services/projects, with less warning than Yahoo.

I realize that Yahoo (and others) don't always make it easy or obvious to make backups to your own machine. I've long used an email program on my desktop to check my yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc. via POP (occasionally, IMAP) rather than rely on those company's web interfaces/services. It's a little bit of a pain to set up (I just created an additional gmail acct this afternoon!) , but I have pretty complete archives of 25+ years of emails in 50-100 accts

You really shouldn't have to do that, but the Internet changes. It's the only way I've found to be sure (well, also: "Nuke them from orbit; it's the only way to be sure" Maybe POP is an understated code for "nuke")

ALL THEY GAVE ME WAS A [SUPPORT} TICKET TO HEAVEN

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,179 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

That really sucks to be locked out of your own account because it's been hacked.  I would definitely try to contact someone higher up the food chain and let them know that there are important emails that need to be preserved.  They don't need to know what's in them, just that they are important.

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

That sucks so bad, Mary Rose. I wish I could help but I am not tech savvy. Hopefully you can find a higher up up Yahoo that can help. I know what it's like to be hacked. While I've never had my emails hacked I have had my bank account hacked more than once. It's not a nice feeling.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users