• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

When an alien attacks National City, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and the DEO learn the alien is a Phorian, an otherwise peaceful race with telekinetic powers. Guardian (Mehcad Brooks) gets a lead on the Phorian's address but instead of finding the culprit, he finds a very scared boy named Marcus (guest star Lonnie Chavis). Marcus will only trust James so it is up to Guardian to stop the attacks on the city. Rhea's (Teri Hatcher) plan escalates.

Read more: Listings - SUPERGIRL on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz4gXRxaxu1

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

Is it just me that doesn't get the title? Does it refer to the Phorian refugees numbering a dozen (sure, there is an argument that they are lost children, in a city, even though there isn't enough of them to make up a city), and/or the very end of the episode when the Daxam ships show up, a cities worth of the lost "children" of Daxam that had been recovered from different far-flung areas of the known universe?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

Oh, and I liked James mission of winning hearts and minds (or a heart and mind :) ). Good to have a story focusing on helping people with no kind of force being needed in the end.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

That was a great episode. I liked that Jimmy finally got a chance to shine after being more or less wasted all season. If the writers had done more episodes like this with him he’d probably be a much more loved character.

I get why that woman would be afraid of Guardian. At the same time the show hasn’t done a good job of letting us know just how well known Guardian is in the city. Do people know he exists? Is he treated as a hero or a vigilante? The last time his status was brought up was when he was accused of murder.

It made sense that Jimmy could get through to the boy because he knows what it’s like growing up different. He was bullied simply because he was black and then he last his father. He could empathize with the boy.

I truly loved how Jimmy was about to talk to the boy (and through him all the Phorians) down. He saved the day not by beating people up but by giving a child hope. It was a sweet message, and perfectly in tune with the message of the show.

Rhea knew how to play Lena, didn’t she? I do believe Rhea when she said that all the compliments she gave Lena were true. It’s just that Rhea obviously had a much different goal in mind than what Lena thought.

It’s also believable that Lena would buy into what Rhea was selling. Lena has wanted a strong mother/daughter relationship her entire life and didn’t think she would ever get that. Then along comes Rhea, a strong woman who believes in Lena and tells her everything she wants to here and acts more like a mother than her own mother.

That ending was definitely a gut punch. Seeing all those Daxamite ships come flooding out of the portal and make their way to National City was insane and exciting. “Welcome to New Daxam” indeed.

It looks like I might be right when I said in my review of last episode that Rhea’s actions would probably give Cadmus all the ammunition they needed. I’d say a full fledged alien invasion will turn a lot of people sympathetic to Cadmus’s cause.

I wonder what the President will do in response to the invasion? She pretty much let the Daxamites do what they wanted earlier so will she do the same here?

Is it just me that doesn't get the title? Does it refer to the Phorian refugees numbering a dozen (sure, there is an argument that they are lost children, in a city, even though there isn't enough of them to make up a city), and/or the very end of the episode when the Daxam ships show up, a cities worth of the lost "children" of Daxam that had been recovered from different far-flung areas of the known universe?

I think it might be both.

Oh, and I liked James mission of winning hearts and minds (or a heart and mind :) ). Good to have a story focusing on helping people with no kind of force being needed in the end.

QFT.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users