Trump National Security 2017 Impeachable offenses

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,772 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

OK, this is no longer even remotely funny.https://www.washingt...m=.8b1a06baf77b

President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said Trump’s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information the president relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

The partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia, and officials said Trump’s decision to do so endangers cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. After Trump’s meeting, senior White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and the National Security Agency.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

What the hell? Is he giving out highly-classified intel like it is candy? Even if it was given to an ally, he isn't respecting the intelligence-sharing arrangement that got this intel into the U.S.'s hands in the first place.

- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

Funny, because all of the reporting I've seen, except for the Fake News media ones, begins with: "IF THIS IS TRUE" Which means that as of the reporting the story wasn't proven true, which means it's just another fake news attempt to attack the President of the US.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

The American media were not allowed into that meeting.

Edited by sierraleone, 15 May 2017 - 06:35 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

I swear, if President Trump performed CPR on someone, saving their life, the Liberal Democrats and the fake news outlets, like MSNBC and CNN, would critize President Trump for performing CPR.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

^ If journalists lied and made up sources they deserve to be fired, sued, and never work as a journalist again.

As for what Trump reportedly did, I am already seeing people say on-line if he did it it is completely legal as POTUS can declassify anything he wants....

Edited by sierraleone, 15 May 2017 - 06:17 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#7 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 15 May 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

I swear, if President Trump performed CPR on someone, saving their life, the Liberal Democrats and the fake news outlets, like MSNBC and CNN, would critize President Trump for performing CPR.

And I swear, if 45 killed a person in front of witnesses, the fanatic Conservative Republicans and the faux news outlets, would criticize Liberals for wanting him to face charges.

How will you feel if this is true, LotS? Will you call for him to be charged if the informant is killed?

Edited by Elara, 15 May 2017 - 06:23 PM.

El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#8 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 15 May 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

^ If journalists lied and made up sources they deserve to be fired, sued, and never work as a journalist again.

Exactly. And this should happen to any of the journalists who lie.

View Postsierraleone, on 15 May 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

As for what Trump reportedly did, I am already seeing people say on-line if he did it it is completely legal as POTUS can declassify anything he wants....

This doesn't surprise me, he has led them to believe he is allowed to do whatever he wants. Imagine if Obama did the same? All h*ll would break out.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#9 Cait

Cait

• 10,772 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:26 PM

The Washington Post withheld info in this story at the request of the Intelligence community.  They had/have more details and in order to protect national security, they withheld them.  That's not the action of "fake news".  There is in fact "more news".

McMaster's statement didn't even address the reports.  He denied things WaPo never reported.  It was a denial/denial, and was BS.

The reason other news sources are saying "if this is true" is because it is breaking news.  The NYTimes has reported the same news from independent sources from WaPo.  That's just careful news gathering.  Once they have sources confirming, they will all begin to report it.

And besides your insane hatred of anything critical of your toddler in chief, what would it take for you to see how dangerous this man is?  What would it actually take?  Could he shoot someone in front of you and you'd go, "Oh there must be a good reason?"

Source:

#10 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

Just saw this on tv. Out of the mouth of fools . . . to paraphrase.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

^^ Thanks Cait for the extra info. I had hit my limited of Free-WaPo articles this weekend (they must have released all those Comey articles knowing this was coming and people would want to see it ;) ). I had looked for other sources, but they were, understandable so, more vague than what little I gleaned from your excerpt.

So, assume the information you have is correct, at the very least someone gave classified info to the WaPo. *If* one wants to give the benefit of the doubt, or assume a conspiracy to de-credit Trump and the White House (isn't their credibility already smashed to smithereens?), then someone release this intel to the WaPo along with a fake story that Trump reveals it to the Russians. Which, someone would really have to have a hate-on to risk their job, as well as jail time, to leak this.

And it seems like Trump revealed this to just brag about his quality of intel!

Edited by sierraleone, 15 May 2017 - 06:53 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#12 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Okay, after that little nugget, I'm labelling you a Trump Surrogate. It should really be a disclaimer on all your posts.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#13 Cait

Cait

• 10,772 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

I have a WaPo subscription because I'd used up my allotted free articles by the 5th of the month.  LOL

[and both the NYT and HuffPost are now reporting the same]

http://www.huffingto...kushpmg00000009

WaPo said that #45 gave up an intel source, not intelligence gathering methods.  It was a source that could now be burned.  He gave it to the Russians without asking the source if he could.

Reports say he was bragging to the Russians in the meeting about the good intel he gets, and probably dropped this tidbit to show off.  The trouble is, that he revealed the city where the asset is, [the city is part of the data WaPo withheld from the story.] and the Russians are smart enough to begin to reverse engineer the info to locate the asset.  It is a serious breach.  Our allies will think twice before trusting this admin with any ahrd intel, and we rely on intelligence from around the world to protect our allies and our own national security.

Source:

#14 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

View PostCait, on 15 May 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

I have a WaPo subscription because I'd used up my allotted free articles by the 5th of the month.  LOL

Good for you for supporting journalism! :)

Thank you.

- Masha Gessen

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostElara, on 15 May 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

How will you feel if this is true, LotS? Will you call for him to be charged if the informant is killed?

I was all for charging those who revealed Valerie Plame, so yes I would definitely want Trump to face charges. However, even "IF" this story is true, the President has the power to declassify any material, at any time, he sees fit. So there would be no charges.

Oh, and just as a side note, I happened to be watching the news when it broke, and to be perfectly honest I had tuned it out. I heard the news say "Russia and classified" and it honestly sounded like Charlie Brown's school teacher. It actually took a while for me to realize it was a new story developing.

#16 Cait

Cait

• 10,772 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 15 May 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

Good for you for supporting journalism! :)

Thank you.

Once #45 took office, I subscribed.   I donate to the Guardian as well. I think the only hope we have is a free press.  I think a free press is vital to our democracy, so yeah, I support them with actual $$.

Source:

#17 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 15 May 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

I was all for charging those who revealed Valerie Plame, so yes I would definitely want Trump to face charges. However, even "IF" this story is true, the President has the power to declassify any material, at any time, he sees fit. So there would be no charges.

So you'd want him to face charges, but there would be none? Would that disappoint you then? Or not?

Also, just because something is legal, doesn't mean it is acceptable behaviour. It is currently legal to cheat on one's spouse, that doesn't mean the spouse has to accept the behaviour. Just like U.S. allies do not have to accept this behaviour. They can decide to either stop, or at least curtail, the amount of intel they share with the U.S. They shared it under a mutual understanding that the new POTUS does not respect.

Edited by sierraleone, 15 May 2017 - 07:29 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#18 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 15 May 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

^^ Thanks Cait for the extra info. I had hit my limited of Free-WaPo articles this weekend (they must have released all those Comey articles knowing this was coming and people would want to see it ;) ). I had looked for other sources, but they were, understandable so, more vague than what little I gleaned from your excerpt.

So, assume the information you have is correct, at the very least someone gave classified info to the WaPo. *If* one wants to give the benefit of the doubt, or assume a conspiracy to de-credit Trump and the White House (isn't their credibility already smashed to smithereens?), then someone release this intel to the WaPo along with a fake story that Trump reveals it to the Russians. Which, someone would really have to have a hate-on to risk their job, as well as jail time, to leak this.

And it seems like Trump revealed this to just brag about his quality of intel!

Sierraleone, I always run out of free WaPo articles too, but when I see then highlighted on my Facebook page I just take the title or gist of the issue, in this case "WaPo, Trump reveals classified info" on my search engine and it will take you to a link to the WaPo story....no charge!  :)

ETA:  I just noticed that if you type Washington Post into the search engine it takes you to their online site which also carries a link to this story.

Edited by yadda yadda, 15 May 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#19 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 15 May 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Okay, after that little nugget, I'm labelling you a Trump Surrogate. It should really be a disclaimer on all your posts.

Gsmonks, I'm just tickled (LOL!) that someone in this world could excoriate and mock a presidential candidate for her carelessness with classified information for supposedly ( according to media report) leaving her information laden phone on a hotel table for a maid to find. But then bend over backwards to defend a POTUS who (according to multiple media reports) brags away Code-Word level secret info to Russian officials, endangering sources and allied Intel programs so he could prove to the Russians that he "has great intel". Amazing.

Edited by yadda yadda, 15 May 2017 - 09:04 PM.

#20 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:32 PM

It's rare that I find myself in agreement with president 45, but I have to admit that his call for uncovering these White House top secret intelligence leaks and prosecuting and punishing them to the max is sound policy. White House leaker beware! Instant karma's gonna get you. It's gonna knock you right in the head.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trump, National Security, 2017, Impeachable offenses

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users