10 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:19 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) grapples with whether or not to obey the President's (guest star Lynda Carter) orders regarding Rhea's (guest star Teri Hatcher) latest actions. Meanwhile, Cat Grant (Calista Flockhart) returns to National City.

Read more: Listings - SUPERGIRL on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz4hDRkYlN2

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

Having Cat Grant return was great. She brought an energy to the show that no other character can match. She more or less dominated every scene she was in and had the funniest lines. Her talks with Supergirl were great. It's really too bad they can't use her more often.

That was a nice opening sequence with the Daxamite troops attacking the city and the DEO. My only problem is that we don't really see them subdue the city and round up citizens. We are just told that's what happens.

Lillian crawls out of the dung heap to offer her help in taking down the Daxamites. What really sucks is that she was right. Aliens did invade. However, Lillian isn't against just the bad aliens. She hates them all.

I was glad that Supergirl and her team were smart enough to recognize that Lillian would betray them, so they worked out a plan in advance to make sure they could escape the ship.

I didn't like that Supergirl went back to give Rhea another chance. I think Rhea has proven that she won't back down and that she believes in the superiority of Daxamites. I understand that Supergirl is a hero and she wants to save everyone, even the bad guys, but all it did was put her in danger.

Okay, Superman being brainwashed somehow to work with the Daxamites is awesome but why didn't they just put Supergirl under their control as well? It would have saved them a lot of trouble.

James is once again sidelines but he does get to be badass when he rescues Cat and Winn at CatCo headquarters. I also loved that Cat knew immediately that Jimmy was Guardian because she can see his eyes.

Oh, Winn saying that Jimmy and Kara are cowards and that they're hiding to explain their absences was hilarious.

The President is a Durlan, and is taking a hard line stance against this invasion because her fellow Durlans just stood aside and let their own planet be wiped out.

All in all, this was a great first part to the season finale. Lots of action, great character moments, high stakes, and a nice cliffhanger. Can't ask for more.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

I didn't need to see her, but could they not have given an brief nod as to the absence of Winn's girlfriend? Because if he didn't know where she was or how she was doing he should have been worried and easily distracted. It could have just been Winn ending a phone call with her that he was glad that she and her brother were safe.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

They really, really, need to get Cat Grant back on this show full time.

Hands down the best line of the episode is her line to the President, upon discovering she was a alien: "At least tell me you'e still a Democrat." LOL. Absolutely priceless. Although to be honest, seeing the President on Airforce One flying towards the invasion kind of took me out of the episode. There is literally no way the secret service would've allowed that to happen, not at all. Regardless of whatever orders the President gave.

Supergirl going back to try and save Rhea...just stupid. And if she could control Superman, the question of why she didn't do the same to Kara has to be answered.

I get Alex's conflict here, I really do. And in her shoes not sure I would be able to fire either, knowing I would be killing a family member. However, by waiting like she did, she lost the chance to take out the invaders. So while understandable, every human they kill from that point on is also on her hands.

Lillian was right about one thing, when Lena finds out Kara is Supergirl, that's going to probably be the end of "good Lena".
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 22 May 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

They really, really, need to get Cat Grant back on this show full time.

I had gotten a little tired *occasionally* last season, but yeah, she is great. I might be a more a "great in smaller doses" person when it comes to her.

Hands down the best line of the episode is her line to the President, upon discovering she was a alien: "At least tell me you'e still a Democrat." LOL. Absolutely priceless. Although to be honest, seeing the President on Airforce One flying towards the invasion kind of took me out of the episode. There is literally no way the secret service would've allowed that to happen, not at all. Regardless of whatever orders the President gave.

Aren't you mad that an illegal immigrant is President, on top of not being born in the U.S.?! ;) Where did she get her identity? Her papers have got to be forged! Unless in this universe one doesn't have to be an American by birth to be President? :D

Supergirl going back to try and save Rhea...just stupid. And if she could control Superman, the question of why she didn't do the same to Kara has to be answered.

I am trying to figure out if Mon-El not wanting to go back was odd or not. He thought his father died of a broken heart still. I mean, I know he was kidnapped by his mother and all, but if he couldn't reason, or use maternal-leanings, to convince his mother to cease and desist, how did his think his girlfriend would? Or did he expect and/or hope that Kara would be able to contain his mother for justice/prison?

I don't know if it is just the gender-role reversal, and/or contrast his exist from the ship with his journey to try to be a hero and the fact that it is HIS mother, but it seemed odd that he would just go that easily. Though I think they painted themselves in a corner with having Kara and Mon-El conflict so much earlier this season, so people wanted Mon-El to respect Kara's decisions more (as he so clearly didn't before, when they were still getting to know each other). I think they also didn't want to complicate the next episode with another character, and just have it be Kara, Clark, and Rhea.

It is also another reason why it was odd that Wynn's girlfriend was not around, at all, considering she has tentatively started the hero journey thing too.

Lillian was right about one thing, when Lena finds out Kara is Supergirl, that's going to probably be the end of "good Lena".

I hope not. We need a complicated woman here (morally speaking) without going right over.

- Masha Gessen

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

Question:  Are the aliens on Earth still first arrivals; or might they have been here for generations?  You know, like Europeans, Asians, Latinos and Blacks, in the US.

Mind you, I haven't watched the show, but I'd think the argument that yes, the President is Durlan-American would certainly make for an interesting issue.  That the Durlan's sought to avoid prosecution by disguising themselves, and had done so for generations (if not longer) would certainly fuel the racist elements, even as it addresses the legal question, and would certainly be a timely issue to explore in this day and age.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 22 May 2017 - 01:33 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

^ I thought the President said that she grew up on another planet (I can't recall if it was the Durlan home-planet or a planet the Durlan people settled on). She said she was there when an invading force was there and mistreated the Durlans, didn't she?

I get that *other* extra-terrestial refugees/immigrants may be 2nd/3rd/etc generation "Earthlings".

ETA: I didn't catch that you said you hadn't seen the show. Though I am fairly certain the President was not born on Earth. Unless she was, then had gone to another planet, then came back to Earth :D

Edited by sierraleone, 22 May 2017 - 01:41 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

^^^Thanks for that.  OK, so yeah, given that the President is not a natural born citizen of the US, there would be legitimate concerns about her holding office.  Of course, she might've purposefully selected her Vice-President to be someone nobody wants to see gain power, so they might let it slide just to keep him out of office.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#9 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

View PostG-man, on 22 May 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

^^^Thanks for that.  OK, so yeah, given that the President is not a natural born citizen of the US, there would be legitimate concerns about her holding office.  Of course, she might've purposefully selected her Vice-President to be someone nobody wants to see gain power, so they might let it slide just to keep him out of office.

Or her. ;) I haven't seen any evidence of the gender of the VP, I don't think he or she has even been referenced :)

Edited by sierraleone, 22 May 2017 - 04:22 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#10 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 22 May 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

I am not sure this really makes sense anymore. Lena is friends with both Supergirl and Kara. The fact that it is a secret is a problem.

Lena met "Mark" a couple episodes ago (when Lena went on a date with her ex boyfriend/tech partner, which Kara and Mark crashed).
Lena met Mon-El this episode. Lena made a comment to him about he "must really love Kara,"so they either she secretly deduced who he really was (maybe Rhea said something?), or, more likely, since Mon-El didn't seem taken-aback by that comment, he shared that with her (or at least, if she deduced it, she brought it up, he owned up to it).

So Lena knows Mark=Mon-El. She certainly knows Mark/Mon-El is a Daxamite, as the Daxam Queen wanted her son back. She probably knows that Kryptonians and Daxamites are related. She knows Mon-El and Kara are in a relationship. She knows there is a connection between Kara and Supergirl, since they seem to be in contact with each other. Heck, if Lena can't figure it Supergirl=Kara by know, she probably thinks Supergirl introduced Mon-El and Kara! :D

So, I figure this is a perfect time for Kara to come out to Lena. And for Lena to say, deadpan, "no sh*t". :D

Now, we haven't really seen Kara have time to react to Mark=Mon-El revelation, though she seemed pretty cool on the ship. And she seems to have little trouble with Supergirl. So I don't see that Lena should have any trouble with Kara being an alien. Maybe with keeping secrets, but when is the right time during your developing friendship to say, "I am a mousy journalist by day for pay, and a superhero crime fighter on the side for justice!"

(Does she get any pay from the DEO??? :D ).

Edited by sierraleone, 22 May 2017 - 09:31 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:15 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 22 May 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Aren't you mad that an illegal immigrant is President, on top of not being born in the U.S.?! ;) Where did she get her identity? Her papers have got to be forged! Unless in this universe one doesn't have to be an American by birth to be President? :D

Normally, those things might irritate me, but when it's a former Wonder Woman...LOL.

Although, now that the crisis is over....they really should at least address Kara and Cat Grant, if she comes back, at least discussing whether or not to reveal the fact that the President is a Alien. I mean that would be one hell of a exclusive for a news organization.

Edited by Lord of the Sword, 23 May 2017 - 12:16 AM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users