• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

http://www.foxnews.c...ared-to-do.html

Somehow I just KNEW nobody on this board would post this, so here it is. So far President Trump's trip to Saudia Arabia seems to be a success, and what's even better...No bowing by the President of the USA. No apology tour. And the icing on this cake? The royal welcome the Saudi's gave him, not only with the red carpet treatment, but the 81 year old Monarch actually was there to greet the President.

Unlike the treatment the Saudi's gave FORMER President Obama.

What do you want to bet the fake news won't be covering the actual facts of the so far successful Presidential overseas trip?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

Post that specific article? I don't know that anyone who currently post regularly in this forum is a Fox-news purveyor besides you.

I have never really followed the overseas trips of American Presidents, so I couldn't really speak to it. But even if you are correct, if you think that this is a 100% ironclad indication that Saudia Arabia respects the U.S. more than before, or Trump more than Obama, I don't think one can be so certain based on the few facts before us. They got an arms deal signed. I think maybe they just see dollars signs. Nuance and context matter more than pomp and circumstance.

And Trump did bow later, to accept a medal. There are ways he could have done it without bending. If it clasps in the back, turn around. If it doesn't either make the other guy reach up or get a stool, or take it in your hands and put it on yourself.

If the trip goes well, I am fairly certain it is because after the last 120 days our international neighbours have observed Trump and reeeeally lowered their standards. Have you heard about what the NATO allies have been advised to do at the upcoming NATO summit?

Edited by sierraleone, 21 May 2017 - 10:33 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Isn't it lovely when Trump's old tweets resurface to highlight his hypocrisy? Or maybe the Saudis gave Melania the honour to choose, so they didn't risk the possible indignity of being refused this time?

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Many people are saying it was wonderful that Mrs. Obama refused to wear a scarf in Saudi Arabia, but they were insulted.We have enuf enemies

8:40 AM - 29 Jan 2015

- Masha Gessen

#4 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 21 May 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

Post that specific article? I don't know that anyone who currently post regularly in this forum is a Fox-news purveyor besides you.

I have never really followed the overseas trips of American Presidents, so I couldn't really speak to it. But even if you are correct, if you think that this is a 100% ironclad indication that Saudia Arabia respects the U.S. more than before, or Trump more than Obama, I don't think one can be so certain based on the few facts before us. They got an arms deal signed. I think maybe they just see dollars signs. Nuance and context matter more than pomp and circumstance.

And Trump did bow later, to accept a medal. There are ways he could have done it without bending. If it clasps in the back, turn around. If it doesn't either make the other guy reach up or get a stool, or take it in your hands and put it on yourself.

If the trip goes well, I am fairly certain it is because after the last 120 days our international neighbours have observed Trump and reeeeally lowered their standards. Have you heard about what the NATO allies have been advised to do at the upcoming NATO summit?

Uh yeah, no. I don't post Fox links or articles either if I can help it. Sometimes I might when they inexplicably bend to a possibly objective perspective. But I've been firing off my reports and impressions, unfiltered through Foxy eyes, of 45's Saudi visit since yesterday on the POTUS 2017, 100 days thread. And I posted my impression of his address to the gathered Islamic nations this morning on my POTUS impeachment/resignation alert thread. Out of place, I'm afraid. I thought I was posting on your previously mentioned POTUS 2017, 100'days news thread. Oh well.

And oh yeah, he DID bow. I saw him do it.

Edited by yadda yadda, 21 May 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#5 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Oh, and sierraleone...breaking news! Fox fell to third in the cable news ratings this past week. Evidently people wanted to know what was REALLY going on.  ;)

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

Here is a transcript of Trump's speech today, as released by the White House. I don't know if he went off script, don't think I could listen to him that long to find out.

I also promised that America will not seek to impose our way of life on others, but to outstretch our hands in the spirit of cooperation and trust.
Our vision is one of peace, security, and prosperity—in this region, and in the world.

Our goal is a coalition of nations who share the aim of stamping out extremism and providing our children a hopeful future that does honor to God.
​…
To the leaders and citizens of every country assembled here today, I want you to know that the United States is eager to form closer bonds of friendship, security, culture and commerce.
​…
We are not here to lecture—we are not here to tell other people how to live, what to do, who to be, or how to worship. Instead, we are here to offer partnership – based on shared interests and values – to pursue a better future for us all.

I wonder how some of his undiscerning/unwavering supportors will feel about this. Their non-interventionist/isolationist tendencies vs their muslim prejudices.

Yesterday, we signed historic agreements with the Kingdom that will invest almost $400 billion in our two countries and create many thousands of jobs in America and Saudi Arabia.
​…
This landmark agreement includes the announcement of a $110 billion Saudi-funded defense purchase – and we will be sure to help our Saudi friends to get a good deal from our great American defense companies.

What did I say, something about Saudi Arabia seeing $$$ signs? The thousands of jobs part, in Saudi Arabia surely they are intended for men. IIRC women need their male guardian's permission to accept a job there...

Later today, we will make history again with the opening of a new Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology – located right here, in this central part of the Islamic World.

We'll see if this goes anywhere. Considering they are already extremists when it comes to their view of women, I am not hopeful. There are other Muslim countries on a much better footing here regarding human rights.

Young Muslim boys and girls should be able to grow up free from fear, safe from violence, and innocent of hatred. And young Muslim men and women should have the chance to build a new era of prosperity for themselves and their peoples.

This is the closest he comes to speaking to human rights (and the words "human rights" appear no where).

The Middle East is rich with natural beauty, vibrant cultures, and massive amounts of historic treasures. It should increasingly become one of the great global centers of commerce and opportunity.
​…
Egypt was a thriving center of learning and achievement thousands of years before other parts of the world. The wonders of Giza, Luxor and Alexandria are proud monuments to that ancient heritage.

Gawd, I may not know it for a fact, but I assuredly think that Trump has no idea what he is talking about here whatsoever. All ancient Egypt means to him is Pyramids and Pharaohs. He *might* know that the Muslim world was a beacon of culture while Europe was in the dark ages, but probably has no idea how or why. He has no natural curiosity, unless it is about himself, his standing, and money.

But this untapped potential, this tremendous cause for optimism, is held at bay by bloodshed and terror. There can be no coexistence with this violence. There can be no tolerating it, no accepting it, no excusing it, and no ignoring it.

Every time a terrorist murders an innocent person, and falsely invokes the name of God, it should be an insult to every person of faith.

Terrorists do not worship God, they worship death.

This I actually like. I'll give a kudos to his writer here I guess (and yes, I know the writer is anti-Islam).

It is a choice between two futures – and it is a choice America CANNOT make for you.
A better future is only possible if your nations drive out the terrorists and extremists. Drive. Them. Out.
DRIVE THEM OUT of your places of worship.
DRIVE THEM OUT of your communities.
DRIVE THEM OUT of your holy land, and
DRIVE THEM OUT OF THIS EARTH.

Um, that doesn't really work. It is similar to what I said in another thread about the undiscerning/unwavering Trump supporters not going away.
Where do you drive these people out to? Your neighbouring countries? How does that help? Why do I feel like the writer and/or Trump would really prefer to say "and kill them"? Or is that crediting them with too much brains to be able to follow the consequences to the "drive them out" 'philosophy'?

You can wait until they commit a crime and then have them go through your criminal justice system (if you still have a functioning country and criminal justice system anyways).

A MUCH BETTER avenue would be the hard hard work of providing both education, and economic opportunities. So that people know different, and are able to act upon their new knowledge while providing a living for themselves.
People can't do (or think) better, if they don't know any thing different.

I also applaud Jordan, Turkey and Lebanon for their role in hosting refugees.

Good thing I am not standing or I might fall over laughing. At Trump saying this that is…..

- Masha Gessen

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 21 May 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

Oh, and sierraleone...breaking news! Fox fell to third in the cable news ratings this past week. Evidently people wanted to know what was REALLY going on.  ;)

Is Fox news actually loosing viewers, and/or is it that the people who are disgusted or worried about Trump's Presidency can't look away and are gluing themselves to MSNBC and CNN?

- Masha Gessen

#8 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 21 May 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

Somehow I just KNEW nobody on this board would post this, so here it is. So far President Trump's trip to Saudia Arabia seems to be a success, and what's even better...No bowing by the President of the USA. No apology tour. And the icing on this cake? The royal welcome the Saudi's gave him, not only with the red carpet treatment, but the 81 year old Monarch actually was there to greet the President.

What do you want to bet the fake news won't be covering the actual facts of the so far successful Presidential overseas trip?

Perhaps if you took a moment to check before you assumed:

yadda

Just because there isn't a separate thread, doesn't mean it's not mentioned. So, you "KNEW" nothing. And this is the problem LotS, you keep assuming things, suggesting that we all call you a racist, we don't mention stuff that you feel is important, etc... Thing is, and I will use yadda again, yadda has defended you stating that you are not a racist, yadda has mentioned stuff you feel is important, etc...
So please, take the time to consider that we are not your enemy, we are just people trying to discuss and actually willing to discuss with you, if you would stop assuming the worst of us.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#9 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Yes, a wonderful success if you are against human rights and believe we should be aiding and abetting one of the most oppressive and barbaric tyrannies in the world, and the main exporter and financier of radical Islam. Maybe when you are done taking pleasure in the "royal welcome" those thugs gave Trump, you can give some thought to the mass suffering and death they dish out every single day with our help, and then some thought to why they prefer Trump to Obama and whether that's actually a good thing. Of course Obama was very complicit helping the Saudis and I criticized him for that, but he at least made some moves in the right direction, most importantly the deal with Iran and refusing to invade Syria.

#10 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

I knew I forgot to mention something else Trump did not mentioned at all in his speech, besides human rights. Democracy. Not one mention of democracy.

He said we are not there to lecture, nor tell people how to live. But we are there to offer partnership, based on shared interested and values. Said they are "adopting a principled realism".  

So I guess he (or his speech writer) realizes that that many Middle East countries are bad on the human rights front. And what the US government does care about is not the human rights of those humans they oppress, but about shared interests (read: oil), and shared values (read: capitalism). Because the US government is a principled realist….

In some ways some could say it is the first time the US government has been forthright and truly honest about their intentions in other parts of the world….. I knew this long ago, actions speak louder than words. They are too lazy to be bothered to pretend otherwise anymore….

Here is a Washington Post article by a conservative on that speech:

The most noteworthy aspect of Trump’s visit to Saudi Arabia was not his and his followers’ jaw-dropping hypocrisy. Sure, had President Obama received a gaudy medal, danced with the Saudis, diminished the important of human rights, called Saudi Arabia “sacred land” and lavished praised on an autocratic regime that trampled on human rights, Trump and his cultlike following would have gone bonkers. …  No, what was most striking and troubling was how little Trump understands about America and its long-term interests.
​…
When after the speech Trump attempted to scold Iran for its human rights policy, the flaw in this approach was evident. For both Iran and Saudi Arabia, we are not “tell[ing] other people how to live” but standing up for universal human rights. We are not “lectur[ing]” but extolling the importance of recognizing human dignity. And we give a flawed message that modernization and full inclusion in the community of nations are possible without basic rights for women, religious minorities, et al.

Edited by sierraleone, 21 May 2017 - 05:19 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

Oh, should we consider this Trump speech his reveal of his top secret sure-to-work plan to get rid of ISIL?

First of all, it is not a plan. Second of all, where is his "only I can fix it" sentiment again?

Oh, remember Trump screaming (or was it tweeting? Can never tell the difference with him) about the $25 million donation Saudi Arabia/UAE gave the Clinton Foundation, which has all sorts of charitable initiatives for various needy groups? Well, apparently Ivanka got $100 million from them for her World Bank Women Entrepreneurs Fund, a donation aimed at efforts in the Middle East. The White House reported in April that Ivanka would not be involved in soliciting funds, nor have authority over the funds, that it would be run by the world bank.

I wonder if Saudi Arabia/UAE specified it had to be spent in their countries… Consider the male guardianship rules in Saudi Arabia, it is doubtful a woman could actually freely apply for and access any money from that program….

Ivanka also had a meeting with a group of Saudi women in top professional positions (with permission of their husbands I am sure).

I will let a Saudi woman speak for herself:

Activist Loujain al-Hathloul, who was jailed in 2014 for driving, told the Post that her concern with meetings like the one on Sunday “is that they show these women as powerful and making an impact, making a change. But in real life, they’ve been given these opportunities by the men. They did not fight for them.”

Edited by sierraleone, 21 May 2017 - 05:07 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#12 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:54 PM

I think I am done for the day LOTS. Come back tomorrow and tell me how great of a success the Israel-Palestine portion of Trump's trip went.

Edited by sierraleone, 21 May 2017 - 04:56 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#13 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 21 May 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 21 May 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

Is Fox news actually loosing viewers, and/or is it that the people who are disgusted or worried about Trump's Presidency can't look away and are gluing themselves to MSNBC and CNN?

I don't know if Fox is shedding viewers, though one would think the regular old time customers might be unhappy by the exodus of the "comfort" personalities they've become used to and the introduction of the second-raters who have been moved in as replacements. It may be simply that more progressive-centrist folk not normally attracted to political programming might be drawn to the freak show that is the 45 administration and feel the need to follow the explosively unprecedented current events. The reasons CNN and MSNBC normally draw less viewership than the fanatics of Fox are twofold. Progressive-centrist people don't NEED a daily force feeding of mental propagandized pablum like right-wingers do. They don't need to be told how and what to think.

Secondly, just as Fox is schlock "news", partisan and slanted, neither MSNBC nor CNN deliver a truly non-partisan, objective perspective of the news. All the cable news outlets have programming that is supposedly slotted as either "news" or "opinion", the opinion of course being more partisan in nature. The "news", or supposedly factual and objective reporting, still slants in partisan shades in both directions, both right and left, though not in same measure and to profess so would be a false equivalence. The opinion programming is hyper-partisan, and in the case of CNN both the opinion and news segment empaneling of "experts" apparently feels required to present partisan representatives in a debate style premise reminiscent of the old "Crossfire". This has resulted in turning what could be information sharing and delivery into a silly provocative bantering between mercenary ideologues, reducing each partisan side's  viewpoint as equally valid, even if one side's representative is no more than a screeching logic-impaired agent of distraction like Jeffrey Lord or one of the well-stocked CNN stable of 45's sour-faced frowny female sycophants. All this to attract some of the feeble-minded from Fox and maybe WWE fans who think that sort of thing represents civilized discourse. I think this turns off most progressive-centrist potential viewers in the long run as a dishonest grab for expanded partisan viewership to boost ad revenues and ratings and dips beneath the intellectual honesty of a more discriminating and smarter viewer.

I think the feeling that CNN and MSNBC whoring out their supposed commitment to objective journalism in favor of sensationalism, as they did in swooning over 45 for ratings in his ascendancy, keeps thinking progressives from fully trusting cable news as a reliable information source. As a result they don't tune in loyally, whereas Fox viewers will happily lap up whatever misinformational bullspit is spooned into the bowl put in front of them.

Edited by yadda yadda, 21 May 2017 - 07:45 PM.

#14 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

^ That all makes sense yadda yadda.

Back to the speech in Saudi Arabia:
You know, Trump did NOT have the courage to say "radical Islamic terrorists" in this speech? Why couldn't he say it? Actually, he could of. Is it okay if I spend the next year blasting and condemning him for not saying it?

- Masha Gessen

#15 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:11 AM

^ Well sierraleone, if you go by what our current POTUS has said, quite forcefully, a President unable, unwilling, or so simply lily-livered, afraid, and craven to speak the phrase "radical Islamic terrorists" is unfit to serve our nation and should be thrown out of office. I don't agree with much of what 45 says, nor that which his fervent supporters believe. But I think in this specific case, that of himself, that such an omission when finally confronting these thugs responsible for downing our Twin Towers, murdering multiple thousands of our brothers and sisters is the ultimate showing of hypocrisy backed by cowardice.

All the tough talk and legally blocked actions he has issued against these Muslim people he says hate us and now he falls over himself to praise their leaders as peaceful and tolerant, just so he can sell them some guns and ammo? What about their inherent hatred for us he ran on last year? Didn't he mean that when he said it? It kind of reminds me how he insulted Mexicans right and left, labeled them as criminal rapists who will be forced to pay for a wall he wants to put up to keep them out and then goes down to Mexico and plays nicey-nice to their leader's face, never showing confrontation or cojones, and them comes back to rail at them again from the safety of a rally in Arizona. Rather like a small ferociously barking dog at a fence who shuts up and turns tail at any chance of actual confrontation...a scared-of-his-shadow mongrel mutt.

So yes, I'd say not only is it your right, but even your duty to spend this and next year blasting and condemning 45 for his insincere hypocrisy and cowardice. A real man would have called a radical Islamic terrorist out for what they truly are while sitting in a roomful of radical Islamic terrorists...the ones who financed, planned, and attacked New York City and the Pentagon in the name of their god.

Edited by yadda yadda, 22 May 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#16 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,988 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

President Trump's trip to Saudia Arabia seems to be a success, and what's even better...No bowing by the President of the USA.

Posted Image

#17 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,988 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 22 May 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

^ That all makes sense yadda yadda.

Back to the speech in Saudi Arabia:
You know, Trump did NOT have the courage to say "radical Islamic terrorists" in this speech? Why couldn't he say it? Actually, he could of. Is it okay if I spend the next year blasting and condemning him for not saying it?

Frankly, that's all the evidence I need to know for sure that he was born in Kenya.

#18 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

^ That gets a real LOL from me. :D I am normally a more laugh on the inside person. :)

Edited by sierraleone, 22 May 2017 - 10:31 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#19 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

From many reports:

Trump said, "There is still much work to be done. That means honestly confronting the crisis of Islamic extremism and the Islamists and Islamic terror of all kinds."

As has been pointed out:

"Islamist" refers to attempts to impose Islamic law and theology on others, while "Islamic" means the religion of Islam, and many Muslims are offended when people link their religion with terrorism.

So to fix the mistake, the White House is claiming that 45 is exhausted after 3 days of the trip. Here is the problem with that claim, 45 claimed that Hillary Clinton didn't have the stamina to be president:

"To be president of this country, you need tremendous stamina," Trump said in the first presidential debate. "You have to be able to negotiate our trade deals … with Japan, with Saudi Arabia."

What happened to that "tremendous stamina"?
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#20 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

^ " What happened to that "tremendous stamina"?" I'm guessing that staying up all night begging Melania for sex would wear a guy out, not to mention the obligatory hundred brush strokes and shellacking spray treatment every night for his " Gorgeous George" style hair piece.

Edited by yadda yadda, 22 May 2017 - 11:04 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users