• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

Considering the looks Melania has been giving 45 and the hand slap, I am betting that he is begging for more than sex. More like: "Don't file for divorce, please!" Probably the first wife he has ever hoped wouldn't leave him, aka, the first wife he isn't chomping at the bit to dump for a new one. He'll do that after his term.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#22 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

^^ I have him a pass on the stamina thing. 70 year old man. If I were to point out all the hypocrisy of Trump it would be a full time job ;) For no pay, and no benefits! And I may still for sorrier for those who have to (or feel they have to) defend or enable him, whether they get pay and benefits or not.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#23 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

View PostElara, on 22 May 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

Considering the looks Melania has been giving 45 and the hand slap, I am betting that he is begging for more than sex. More like: "Don't file for divorce, please!" Probably the first wife he has ever hoped wouldn't leave him, aka, the first wife he isn't chomping at the bit to dump for a new one. He'll do that after his term.

Great! Just in time for New Year! :)

#24 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Also, do we think he is too tired to do his late night/early morning tweets, or do you think his staff stole his tweeting device for the duration of the trip? Could be both or course. Though wait until the news revs back up for the work week, we may see something before the end of the week to support one of these theories! :D

Edited by sierraleone, 22 May 2017 - 12:10 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#25 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

Landslide Win for Iran’s Reformists Doesn’t Fit Trump’s Script, So He Ignores It

The hypocrisy of America’s support for unelected despots in the oil-rich Gulf states is not new, but Donald Trump’s lavish praise for them on Sunday, as allies against “Islamist extremism” and “the oppression of women,” was particularly striking, coming one day after Iranian voters danced in the streets to celebrate their reformist president’s landslide re-election.

... Speaking in the Saudi capital of Riyadh on Sunday, Trump made no mention of the scenes in Iran or of President Hassan Rouhani, whose diplomatic engagement with the West over Iran’s nuclear program helped to avert the war American allies in the region, including the Gulf states and Israel, seemed to be still hoping for.

Instead, the American president promised the monarchs and autocrats in the room that he would work with them “to isolate Iran.” He also promised, bizarrely, “to help our Saudi friends to get a good deal” from American arms makers.

#26 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 22 May 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

^^ I have him a pass on the stamina thing. 70 year old man. If I were to point out all the hypocrisy of Trump it would be a full time job ;) For no pay, and no benefits! And I may still for sorrier for those who have to (or feel they have to) defend or enable him, whether they get pay and benefits or not.

Hypocrisy, sure. ;) No pay in uncovering all of that. :lol: But the age? Nope. Reagan was 16 days shy of his 70th birthday when he took office and 70 when he was shot. He kept going, but 45 is exhausted? Nope, no pass. :D
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#27 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 22 May 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

So yes, I'd say not only is it your right, but even your duty to spend this and next year blasting and condemning 45 for his insincere hypocrisy and cowardice. A real man would have called a radical Islamic terrorist out for what they truly are while sitting in a roomful of radical Islamic terrorists...the ones who financed, planned, and attacked New York City and the Pentagon in the name of their god.

funny how the same standard wasn't held to Obama. The Syrian red line, the lie of the century: "If you like your doctor you keep your doctor. Period." Funny how that double standard works.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#28 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 22 May 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

funny how the same standard wasn't held to Obama. The Syrian red line, the lie of the century: "If you like your doctor you keep your doctor. Period." Funny how that double standard works.

Those examples have already been spoken about in this forum, I am not retreading those.

Should I blame government health care for the fact that I couldn't keep my doctor? My family doctor decided to move away. Damn it, the government should have not let him leave!

Nothing about his successful monday abroad? It is 9pm Monday in Israel, the day is almost over there, must have something to report.

- Masha Gessen

#29 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

Peeking out through my noise wall's spy hole....

Funny how with some, every question or statement known to man has to be passed through the Fox Noise inspired and regurgitated "but what about Obama?" filter. You see it in 45's surrogates on cable, on comment sections and message boards from the slavish mumbling multitudes...." funny, but what about Obama?"

Approaching this crowd trying to elicit open-minded discussion  or simple recognition of life as reality always seems like poking a hermit crab or a turtle with a twig and watching them retract to cower and hide within their shells while squeaking out, "funny, but what about Obama?" There could be a huge meteor or comet hurtling down or the Sun exploding to destroy the earth and their last words uttered as they gaze into loved ones eyes and clutch their hands tightly in desperate embrace would be, "yeah, this totally sucks, but it's funny...what about Obama?"

#30 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

View Postcade, on 22 May 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

Yeah, I read about that briefly elsewhere. Trump seems to be all about, well, trying to develop good relationships with other countries, like Russia. But he won't even consider it for Iran? Iran is actually better on human rights than Saudi Arabia….. Though that is a low bar, and I wouldn't say they leaped over it. I hope these election results result in some the change and reform Iranian citizens need and want.

Edited by sierraleone, 22 May 2017 - 03:53 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#31 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,988 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

^It's almost impossible to be worse on human rights than Saudi Arabia. North Korea is their only competitor for bottom of the barrel.

#32 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 22 May 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

There could be a huge meteor or comet hurtling down or the Sun exploding to destroy the earth and their last words uttered as they gaze into loved ones eyes and clutch their hands tightly in desperate embrace would be, "yeah, this totally sucks, but it's funny...what about Obama?"

Or: "If only the nasty Libruls had let trump do his job, he would have saved us!"
El

#33 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 22 May 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

Okay, you are always harping on double standards, let's just see what can be found of your double standard. I'll put on some elevator music while I do a quick search: ~boring music plays~

oops, didn't take as long as I thought. From this post: Executive Orders?

You say this:

Yes, other Presidents have issued EO's. Yes, Obama hasn't issued nearly as many as the others...YET. Give him time, I'm sure he'll beat their records.

Yet, you have no concern over 45 beating the last 5 presidents. Where is your cry of double standards? For that matter, where is our cry? Possibly because we give you slack over these things? Maybe because we see you as an individual?

Point is, you, and those repeating this same line, are just as guilty.

And the so-called double standard that you are harping on here, is a lie. Did some people lose their doctors? Maybe. Were they already in danger of losing their doctors with or without the ACA? Maybe. The problem with that same tired excuse about the ACA is, it is not a complete story, and the complete story isn't told because it doesn't work for the side complaining. They can't look better if the other side also looks good, and they really need to look better, nothing is more important than looking better (both parties).
As sierraleone stated, this has been discussed, over and over.

And funny how once again you use yadda (see my post #8) for your double standard, when yadda criticized Obama on several occasions. You could at least pay attention to what we have said and who said what. The fact that you don't, is why you get attacked and belittled. Why discuss with you when you simply lump us as one, dirty Liberal.
El

#34 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

Trump is still in Israel tomorrow. His schedule:
10:00 am Trip to Bethlehem, 1:00 pm Visit to Yad Vashem (The World Holocaust Remembrance Centre), 1:30 pm Arrival at Israel Museum (Trump to deliver a speech), 3:40 Departure from Israel.

Another speech to look forward to. Spending less than 1/2 hour at the Holocaust Centre (I heard 15 minutes, which makes sense if he has to transit to the next place and be there 1/2 hour later).

Edited by sierraleone, 22 May 2017 - 05:21 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#35 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

I got a good look at Netanyahu's facial expression as 45 announced to the world he had never said the word Israel to his Russian spymaster bosses in the Oval Office. He looked halfway between bemused and incredulous, like "what a fricking idiot! What the hell is he doing and saying now? Is there a mute button for this fool?"

I can only imagine the feelings he has to internalize during this couple days of sucking up to this American buffoon. I'm sure that Netanyahu, for all his faults, is a sharp politician and leader. You'd have to be to run a place like Israel. And then to be sandbagged and hung out to dry by this paragon of ineptitude and have to swallow his pride and show public deference to a human dirt clod who has trashed/damaged your highly professional intelligence services. Unbearable. Roll with it, Bibi. Try not to gag.

#36 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:38 AM

View PostElara, on 22 May 2017 - 04:58 PM, said:

Yet, you have no concern over 45 beating the last 5 presidents. Where is your cry of double standards? For that matter, where is our cry? Possibly because we give you slack over these things? Maybe because we see you as an individual?

Oh I do have concerns regarding the sheer number of EO's President Trump has issued. A number of those, I believe, were to reverse Obama's garbage orders, so on those EO's I'll give Trump a pass. Since I think only a EO can overturn a prior President's EO. But you're correct, President Trump is issuing a lot of EO's...way too many, IMO.

And funny how once again you use yadda (see my post #8) for your double standard, when yadda criticized Obama on several occasions. You could at least pay attention to what we have said and who said what. The fact that you don't, is why you get attacked and belittled. Why discuss with you when you simply lump us as one, dirty Liberal.

fair enough.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#37 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:28 AM

I heard about the terrorist attack at an Ariana Grande concert in the UK on the radio this morning. And I heard a clip of Trump's comment. I am putting this here as it happened during his overseas trip, and I really don't want to take away from the sombreness of the other thread right away.

"They are losers."

That bothered and saddened me, even as it didn't surprise me. The leader of the free world's first instinct is to do school yard taunts. Then again, the bar that divides that which is below the dignity of this office has been greatly greatly lowered, hopefully not permanently.

I understand not building up terrorists or other criminals. There is a way to mention them without doing that. Saying how horrible their acts are, showing confidence/hope that the authorities will find the person(s) responsible and bring them to justice, that sort of thing.

I found his full quote afterwards at the Guardian:

“I extend my deepest condolences to those so terribly injured in this terrorist attack and to the many killed and the families – so many families of the victims.

We stand in absolute solidarity with the people of the United Kingdom. So many young beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life.

I won’t call them monsters because they would like that term. They would think that’s a great name. I will call them, from now on, losers, because that’s what they are. They are losers. And we will have more of them. But they are losers, just remember that.

Our society can have no tolerance for this continuation of bloodshed, we cannot stand a moment longer for the slaughter of innocent people. And in today’s attack it was mostly innocent children. The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society for ever.

This wicked ideology must be obliterated – and I mean completely obliterated – and the innocent life must be protected. All civilised nations must join together to protect human life and the sacred right our citizens to live in safety and in peace."

Edited by sierraleone, 23 May 2017 - 06:37 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#38 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

It occurs to me this fits right in line with his obsession over winning, and appearing dominant/strong. That is why he loves autocrats. That is why he thinks that terrorists would think monster is a compliment. And that is why he thinks "loser" is best insult.

- Masha Gessen

#39 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 22 May 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Yeah, I read about that briefly elsewhere. Trump seems to be all about, well, trying to develop good relationships with other countries, like Russia. But he won't even consider it for Iran? Iran is actually better on human rights than Saudi Arabia….. Though that is a low bar, and I wouldn't say they leaped over it. I hope these election results result in some the change and reform Iranian citizens need and want.

And we could help them in this extremely difficult task by working to ease tensions, but instead Trump is trying to escalate them. As usual, the right-wingers in these countries feed off of and need each other. Trump wanted the hardliners to win and now he'll work to strengthen them and prevent the kind of reform that would make isolating Iran virtually impossible and destroy any pretext for the neocons' longtime dream of invading Iran and plundering its resources.

And while Iran is busy fighting ISIS, our beloved ally Saudi Arabia is an ISIS that made it and has funded ISIS, as Trump and Hillary Clinton both admitted in 2014:

https://twitter.com/...986871192342528
"@kevinb____: @realDonaldTrump Saudi Arabia is already paying ISIS"
https://wikileaks.or...ls/emailid/3774
"we need to use our diplomatic and more traditional intelligence assets to bring pressure on the governments of Qatar and Saudi Arabia, which are providing clandestine financial and logistic support to ISIL and other radical Sunni groups in the region."

#40 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 23 May 2017 - 06:28 AM, said:

"They are losers."

That bothered and saddened me, even as it didn't surprise me. The leader of the free world's first instinct is to do school yard taunts.

I understand not building up terrorists or other criminals. There is a way to mention them without doing that. Saying how horrible their acts are, showing confidence/hope that the authorities will find the person(s) responsible and bring them to justice, that sort of thing.

I understand where you're coming from, on this issue. I don't know that I agree, completely, with it though. IMO, the terrorist's really don't care what we label them. IMO, any label, even "losers" is a badge of honor to them.

I would rather find a way to refer to them similar to a flash flood warning from the weather man. Not to many really pay attention to those warnings, in my experience. And those flash flood warnings are usually forgotten almost as soon as they are heard. Now how someone can refer to a suicide bomber like a flash flood warning, without really glorifying them? I don't know.

It also doesn't help with the constant media coverage of it, as always happens. I get the news media has a job to do, and the more horrific a story the better the ratings are...but IMO the media is helping to create copy cats. Look at all the school shootings after the media coverage of Columbine. Not all the follow up school shooters were inspired by Columbine, but some of them probably were.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users