#41 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:57 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 22 December 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

View PostElara, on 22 December 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

You are right, government shouldn't be forcing people to buy health insurance. Instead they should be making sure that we all have equal, government run, guaranteed health insurance. That is what would save you money, LotS.

Government run enterprises ALWAYS cost more than private ones. Because in the private enterprise they HAVE to make a profit, not so under Government run. As an example: On Long Island, where my Aunt lived, the city was replacing some pipes underground. The city crew showed up, on the street, at 6:45am, removed the pipes from the truck. They made the mistake of placing those pipes on her neighbors lawn. (Her neighbor lived for his lawn. If you stepped on his lawn, he would most likely "hear the grass crying out" LOL). Anyway, they removed the pipes from the truck by 7am. Then sat around having a half hour coffee break. They only had a half hour because her neighbor, the grass lover, came out and tore them a new one for putting the pipes on his lawn.

Now in that above example, if it had been a private company doing the work, do you think the private company would've tolerated employees wasting a half hour, right at the start of the day? Hell no.

That's the difference between Government vs. Private. Government run businesses are extremely costly and wasteful. Just look at the mess Government run health care is with the VA. That's government run health care for you.

I forgot to respond to this.

A. If they placed those pipes on the berm, that neighbor had no say, that is city property. So if the crew moved them after he raised a fuss, they did it for good relations. Which speaks well of the workers.

B. Do you even know if they had to be in place, set-up and waiting for another crew/company to come along and do their job? Sometimes they are at the whim of private companies. Basically, it's like the old cable company joke: "We will be there between 8am and 5pm." And if you aren't there waiting, you get moved to the back of the line, waiting longer.

C. Yes, a private company would tolerate this, because they also are at the whim of another company, at times. And if they sent those men out at that time to set-up, you can bet they would know they were there waiting.

I am from a family of bricklayers, I remember plenty of times that my dad had to wait, I know of plenty of times that my brother has had to wait, but you have to be there and ready, no matter how long you might have to wait.

I am not saying the government is never wasteful, just that in your scenario, they probably weren't being wasteful.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#42 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

View PostElara, on 20 January 2018 - 01:57 AM, said:

B. Do you even know if they had to be in place, set-up and waiting for another crew/company to come along and do their job? Sometimes they are at the whim of private companies. Basically, it's like the old cable company joke: "We will be there between 8am and 5pm." And if you aren't there waiting, you get moved to the back of the line, waiting longer.

Honestly, I have no idea if they were waiting for another company or not. This happened at 7am, and back then I didn't do 7am in the morning. LOL. I only heard about it in the afternoon, when I woke up, from my Aunt who had been up earlier and heard about it from the neighbor. And even then she only got the neighbors side of the story.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#43 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,203 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

Well, as I understand it budget has passed in the wee hours this scorning, ending a government shutdown after a couple mere hours, to fund the government until Mar 23, to give them more time to work out the details for a 2 year budget. I think.
No time for that this morning, but here is the WaPo: 12 of the most important things in Congress's massive spending deal

Edited by sierraleone, 09 February 2018 - 07:22 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users