Montana GOP Congressional candidate body slams reporter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:43 AM

Greg Gianforte, the Republican candidate for the at large seat for Montana in the US House of Representatives in today's special election to replace 45's Dept of the Interior Secretary got annoyed at a persistent reporter's question and then body slammed the reporter and then punched him while he had him down.

The reporter, Ben Jacobs of The Guardian, had his glasses broken and his elbow injured in the attack after asking Gianforte his take on yesterday's CBO report on the effects of the AHCA, recently passed by House Republicans. The same reporter had previously reported on candidate Gianforte's $250,000 investment in Rosneft and Gazprom, Russian energy concerns currently under sanction by the US, which may have precipitated some held over anger for candidate Gianforte.  The GOP House candidate was charged overnight for assault by the County Sheriff who had previously given him a $250 campaign donation. All three major Montana newspapers had endorsed Gianforte withdrew their endorsements after report of the incident. The incident of confrontation devolving into violence was recorded on audio by the Mr. Jacobs, and widely disseminated. A spokesman for the candidate issued a statement basically blaming the "liberal" reporter for initiating aggressive contact with candidate Gianforte.

The charges of assault were filed after three Fox News reporters on the scene working for Bret Baier's program "Special Report" supported the account of Mr. Jacobs and directly contradicted the candidate's PR flack's official statement. The election, happening today in Montana, has been running close with Gianforte polling ahead of the Democratic candidate Robbie Quist in a state that 45 won by 20% points. It should be interesting to see how and if this election eve weirdness will affect the ballot outcome.  ;)

Edited by yadda yadda, 25 May 2017 - 06:03 AM.

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:09 AM

I read that 2/3s of the votes have likely already been cast (early voting and/or mail in ballots?), so any effect it might have may be muted.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

:(   Well, that's too bad.

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

This is just wrong. You do NOT physically attack someone for asking annoying questions.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:57 AM

Well GOP candidate Gianforte won. 51-44. Not by as comfortable a margin as would normally happen in Montana as I understand it. Per the article I am reading some of the people are practically slapping him on the back in solidarity over the assault...  some in the crowd laughed at the mention of the assault.

ETA: apparently some people with decency were about, some tried, in vain, to change their early ballots.

https://news.google....html#pt0-552187

Edited by sierraleone, 26 May 2017 - 06:01 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#6 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

Something to think about, the early voting. I'm in favor of it and I usually vote absentee/early because it's so easy and you can take your time to fill out your ballot in peace. But no matter if your candidate is red or blue, information can come out like this close to the election to give one buyer's remorse for their vote. Or foreign troll generated fake news as well with an eye to election tampering, so there's concern both ways.

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

^ I have read before that some juisdictions that is not an issue, that some places where there is early and/or mail I'm voting, where one can come in the day of voting and change their vote. I don't know how that would work while honouring a secret ballot, and makinf an effective efficient process.

- Masha Gessen

#8 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

Judging by some of the supportive reaction I've seen and heard from Republican Congressmen and Gianforte's supporters about his dealing with Jacobs, I'd say the GOP want to might consider issuance of a party uniform to demonstrate its solidarity of purpose and ideals. Brown shirts would seem both appropriate and stylish.

#9 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 26 May 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

Well GOP candidate Gianforte won. 51-44. Not by as comfortable a margin as would normally happen in Montana as I understand it. Per the article I am reading some of the people are practically slapping him on the back in solidarity over the assault...  some in the crowd laughed at the mention of the assault.

ETA: apparently some people with decency were about, some tried, in vain, to change their early ballots.

https://news.google....html#pt0-552187

From that article:

“There is no time where a physical altercation should occur,” House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) said at his weekly news conference on Capitol Hill. “It should not have happened. Should the gentleman apologize? Yeah, I think he should apologize.”

Does Ryan even know what "gentleman" means? Or is he being polite to the man that was nowhere near polite to another (hence, does not deserve such politeness)?

Also from the article:

“I’m sick and tired of you guys!” Gianforte said. “The last guy that came in here did the same thing. Get the hell out of here! Get the hell out of here! The last guy did the same thing. Are you with the Guardian?”

Who are these "guys" that Gianforte is "sick and tired of"? Reporters? Isn't this the job of a reporter to get an answer to a question, sometimes a very tough question? Is this how Gianforte is going to solve any issue? Is he going to body slam anyone who asks him something, or tells him something can't be done, or simply disagrees with anything he says?
In this instance, I do not believe and I do not accept his apology. It is time to stop accepting an apology after an attack on another, because they do what they want, then apologize. Wasn't that easy. I was taught that an apology was only the beginning, you had to work to prove yourself again. You did the other's chores for a week to a month, depending, and they got the allowance. I say it's time these people work to prove themselves.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users