Child's first dental visit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deborah_john22

deborah_john22
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:13 AM

I am thinking to take my three year old to a children’s dentist in Ajax for her first dental visit. But I don’t know how to prepare my child for the first visit. My child eat lots of chocolates and sweets. I bake her homemade cake, choco-chip cookies and also ice cream. We haven’t changed anything in her diet. My daughter brushes every day and flosses. We often do it for her especially before going to bed. But I am still worried about her dental health. We consulted our pediatrician and she recommended to take the dental treatment. But I really felt it was too early. The other thing is that, we recently moved and I am not registered with any dental office in Ajax. When did you take your child for the first dental visit? I am very much concerned about her dental health. Anyone have any experiences or opinions? For those of you with kids, how was your child’s first dental visit? Is there any tips/advice I should try before we visit the dentist?

#2 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 345 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

Both my 2 children and now my 4 grandchildren had early visits to a dentist.  For you - be calm, smile, don't act worried.  Most dentists know how to put a child at ease.  The dental staff will make the child feel welcome.  I do remember one visit when my son had a loose tooth and the dentist accidently knocked it out - somewhere on the floor.  He coiuldn't find it.  My son panicked, worried that the tooth fairy wouldn't give him any money that night.  So the dentist wrote a note for the tooth fairy, which my son put under his pillow.  And the tooth fairy did give him money after all!  With all the regular dental visits and flouride treatments, my children never experienced any cavities, so they always enjoyed going to the dentist.  I think my daughter was in her 30's when she got her first (and I think her last) cavity.  My son never got a cavity. Both of my kids are now pushing 50.  And my husband and I had lots and lots of cavities in our youth and both sets of grandparents had false teeth, so my kids did not inherit great teeth, but benefited from excellent dental care.  Imho - the earlier the children go, the better.

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

Have you taken your child to the dentist yet and if so how did it go?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users