• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:54 PM

Congressmen Lou Barletta (PA, Republican) is indicating town halls should be curtailed or cut back….
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#22 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

I found this to be interesting. Is he the only one so far who has admitted the complicity of his own party or ideology?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#23 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

I don't know about any others identifying their own party's complicity, but good old Rep. Steve King, GOP (Iowa) was quick to suggest that Barack Obama is to blame for the divisions in our country. Thanks, Obama.

#24 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:46 PM

The practice yesterday was for a game being held tonight, which is still going ahead tonight at 7:00 PM EST.

If you want to watch it, you can watch it live on CSPAN here. They don't normally air it, much less live, but are doing so in light of yesterday's events.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#25 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

^^ I'm glad they're going ahead with it.

View Postyadda yadda, on 15 June 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

I don't know about any others identifying their own party's complicity, but good old Rep. Steve King, GOP (Iowa) was quick to suggest that Barack Obama is to blame for the divisions in our country. Thanks, Obama.  
That's more the sort of thing I'd expect these days.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#26 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

Put this in "The Universe has a sense of irony" column.

Scalise has evidently been criticized as something of a homophobic racist.  Special Agent Griner, who was shot defending Scalise, is a gay black woman in a same sex marriage.

http://fusion.kinja....a-qu-1796135276

Edited by Jorgasnarova, 16 June 2017 - 01:28 AM.

#27 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Well, that's very nice, and more than just irony. This has the potential of accomplishing the most important thing possible-- changing some minds. Including perhaps some high-profile minds.  This puts me in mind of a TV show we had back in the days of the Civil Rights Movement-- when people were actually promoting positive change and not just pushing hatred and divisiveness-- that was called All In The Family. One of the main characters, Archie Bunker, was a traditional Right-Wing racist, and in one episode he needed a blood transfusion to save his life-- he got it from a Black nurse. That was good for a laugh. Then, in a later episode, a White Supremacist group tried to recruit him-- he sent them packing and told them he was "part Black."  :)  That's why the current generation is such a catastrophic failure:  They don't understand that hatred just breeds more hatred, and we have to win over some hearts and minds.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users