Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Black Lives Matter

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,257 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

Just wanted to say that in face of contradictory evidence.

http://www.cnn.com/2...dict/index.html

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Over and over and over again it has been proven that to most of official America, and to those that prop them up, that black lives do not really matter. And to all Americans who care about all Americans, that is a proposition and insidious social aberration that cannot stand. Through reason and constant appeal to better nature, or through regrettable vengeful violence. Unfortunately, violence is more immediately satisfying, an angry shout instead of encouraging gentle whisper....a seeming justice equalizer. This pogrom against our citizenry cannot go on, and the politics of fear and hatred reaped from supporting those who inflict it must stop. . It will rip us all apart.

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

It's been going on since the very beginning, so it's hardly going to rip the country apart.

It's on a par with government treating the poor, addicts, and the mentally ill, with depraved indifference. They've been doing that since the beginning, too.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#4 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

There wasn't social media and instant nation-wide communication in the beginning or actually up until about 20 years ago. The televised and widely shared accounts of these constantly repeated atrocities and injustices will cause an inevitable revolt. It's already started and can only snowball which depending on just how fascist our government reps can turn out to be, it could be catastrophic.

Edited by yadda yadda, 18 June 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{QueenTiye}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#6 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,772 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 17 June 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{QueenTiye}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I know, right!!!

{{{{ QueenTiye}}}}

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

^ I didn't really know what to say :( And have the uncomfortable recognition that I have the privilege to not say anything, to no material bonus or detriment to myself.

Anyone who has been paying attention see this happen over and over again just for law enforcement and those against BLM to stick their heads in the sand and say there is no problem…. The first part in dealing with a problem is admitting there is one, and we can't even get that, from those who, well gosh, 'matter'. How convienent that they have outsized influence on decisions on which problems exist and which ones don't, and get to base that on whether those problems affect them personally or not.

Edited by sierraleone, 18 June 2017 - 04:35 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,257 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for the hugs. They brought tears.  I've been laboring in the field of Race Unity since Ferguson, but I admit that there are days.

QT

O CHILDREN OF MEN! Know ye not why We created you all from the same dust? That no one should exalt himself over the other. Ponder at all times in your hearts how ye were created. Since We have created you all from one same substance it is incumbent on you to be even as one soul, to walk with the same feet, eat with the same mouth and dwell in the same land, that from your inmost being, by your deeds and actions, the signs of oneness and the essence of detachment may be made manifest. Such is My counsel to you, O concourse of light! Heed ye this counsel that ye may obtain the fruit of holiness from the tree of wondrous glory.

(Bahá'u'lláh,The Hidden Words, Arabic no. 68)

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:08 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 17 June 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

There wasn't social media and instant nation-wide communication in the beginning or actually up until about 20 years ago. The televised and widely shared accounts of these constantly repeated atrocities and injustices will cause an inevitable revolt. It's already started and can only snowball which depending on just how fascist our government reps can turn out to be. It could be catastrophic

I can't say as I find social media relevant. Isn't that like saying that information simply didn't get around back then?

I would argue that information got around just the same, but slowly, deliberately, and with much more thought, discussion, and deliberation than today.

The thing that gave rise, for example, to the Trade Union Movement, was people meeting behind closed doors over many years. Social media doesn't provide a real-time forum consisting of people meeting face to face and sharing their experiences. Instead, it consists of people sitting in isolation, reading stuff on a screen. Communication is thereby at the bare minimum. It's more about imagination than experience, in my estimation. It might erupt in a Tweet-storm, but social movements consist of crowds of people acting in concert in the real world.

Just my two centimes.

#10 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:34 AM

^ There is some wisdom in what you say, but leaves some things out.

As for your first line, regarding information travel…. in what circles, and who believed the narrative told by the oppressed, even if the person relaying the event were direct witnesses? I think social media and cell-phone video has made some difference in that regard. Unless one closes their eyes to it and/or believes one's eyes lie (or don't tell enough of the truth).

Edited by sierraleone, 18 June 2017 - 09:47 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#11 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

View Postgsmonks, on 18 June 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 17 June 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

There wasn't social media and instant nation-wide communication in the beginning or actually up until about 20 years ago. The televised and widely shared accounts of these constantly repeated atrocities and injustices will cause an inevitable revolt. It's already started and can only snowball which depending on just how fascist our government reps can turn out to be. It could be catastrophic

I can't say as I find social media relevant. Isn't that like saying that information simply didn't get around back then?

I would argue that information got around just the same, but slowly, deliberately, and with much more thought, discussion, and deliberation than today.

The thing that gave rise, for example, to the Trade Union Movement, was people meeting behind closed doors over many years. Social media doesn't provide a real-time forum consisting of people meeting face to face and sharing their experiences. Instead, it consists of people sitting in isolation, reading stuff on a screen. Communication is thereby at the bare minimum. It's more about imagination than experience, in my estimation. It might erupt in a Tweet-storm, but social movements consist of crowds of people acting in concert in the real world.

Just my two centimes.

Re: your questioning of the relevancy of social media in my context and restatement/restructuring of my original argument...no, I am not saying that information didn't get around back then. But what information did get around, let's say in the context of events of racially based brutality, was disseminated more as a means of and to an end of terrorizing and threatening, with a eye toward boxing in, alienating, and subjugating that element of the population being brutalized.

And your particular perspective of social media, that of people in isolation reading things off a screen is not what I was considering or trying to describe in mentioning "social media and instant nation-wide communication". Perhaps I was unclear. I was referring to the fairly recent historical advent of the internet, and its various forms of instantaneous communications including Facebook and video messaging such as live streaming whereby millions of people got to witness the circumstance and events of the latest police atrocity in St. Paul as it happened and afterward over and over as evidence of the circumstances. These sorts of shocking revelations of truth brought on and burned into the public consciousness by the existence of cell phone cameras and the ability to widely disseminate that information instantaneously have changed the game and geometrically raised both the gut level effect and incendiary potential that these seemingly constant incidents of unjustifiable police overkill present to an anguished public. Rather than the slow deliberate olden days dissemination of information you describe, modern day internet is instantaneous and therefore catalytic, more like igniting gunpowder rather than a well banked slow burning fire of deliberation and deep discussion.

Couple that to the obvious indifference to this institutional carnage by the institutions of justice and the people in charge of administering them and I believe you are stirring up a recipe for public disaster. Without an outlet provided for proper justice in response to an obvious culture of unnecessary violence, with a blindfolded Lady Justice unaware of a prosecutorial / law enforcement thumb on her balancing scale the result will inevitably be reparative efforts to invoke justice. And the quickest path to that unfortunately is returned violence to the perceived offending institutions, and then increased violence in response to that. Such as incidents of reprisal which already happened less than a year ago in Dallas, Louisiana, and other locations.This is a serious threat to society's peaceful continuation and the Constitutionally promoted goals of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Edited by yadda yadda, 18 June 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#12 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:45 PM

Well, as I said before, the depraved indifference of the power that be is nothing new. It's the reason we used to have insane asylums and is still the reason we have prisons.

Democratic governments, as you've no doubt heard me harp on endlessly about before, are all about sucking Middle Class dick, to the exclusion of all else, with no regard whatsoever for the poor, the disenfranchised, the mentally ill, prisoners, veterans, old people, visible minorities, etc.

99% of the function of any modern democracy is the Budget, and the Budget is solely about sucking Middle Class dick.

This is so ingrained into modern society that people are pretty much numb to what amounts to an abomination. So I don't see anyone getting het about it at this late date.

It's also the reason I spoil my ballot, with each passing election. No election is the least bit meaningful so long as these underlying conditions remain unaddressed.

#13 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

It appears cop dashboard video of the murder of Philando Castile has been publicly released today. It was available at trial. It, IMO, supports the story, supports what Reynolds, Philando's girlfriend also in the car, said, which doesn't surprise me. Though how many times does this need to repeat itself before enough people stop blaming the victims, or impugning the victims credibility. :(

The video, of course, is highly disturbing, and do not suggest or purpose people watch it. For those that would like to find or watch it anyways, I will not link to it directly, but I will link the Huff Post article that has the video in the middle of its' article.

http://www.huffingto...4b0177d0b8a1c97

Edited by sierraleone, 20 June 2017 - 06:26 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#14 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

A friend of mine has a concealed carry permit, and on the permit it says very clearly: If stopped by law enforcement, show that card IMMEDIATELY. On the video it showed the Mr. Castile handing the officer his driver's license. We then hear Mr. Castile tell the officer he has a concealed carry permit and is carrying. The cop then tells him to not reach for it.

Now at this point, in that situation, you stop reaching. From the video I can not tell whether or not Mr. Castile WAS reaching or not. The girlfried did tell the cop that Mr. Castile was reaching for his permit. If that was the case he should've stopped reaching as soon as the officer said to stop reaching.

That being said, the number of shots being fired does seem excessive to me. Especially with other people in the car, one of whom was a little child. I've also never been profiled because of my race, stopped by the police because of my race, so I can't comment on that possible aspect of it.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#15 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:33 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 22 June 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

A friend of mine has a concealed carry permit, and on the permit it says very clearly: If stopped by law enforcement, show that card IMMEDIATELY. On the video it showed the Mr. Castile handing the officer his driver's license. We then hear Mr. Castile tell the officer he has a concealed carry permit and is carrying. The cop then tells him to not reach for it.

Now at this point, in that situation, you stop reaching. From the video I can not tell whether or not Mr. Castile WAS reaching or not. The girlfriend did tell the cop that Mr. Castile was reaching for his permit. If that was the case he should've stopped reaching as soon as the officer said to stop reaching.

That being said, the number of shots being fired does seem excessive to me. Especially with other people in the car, one of whom was a little child. I've also never been profiled because of my race, stopped by the police because of my race, so I can't comment on that possible aspect of it.

The rules on conceals carry are different for each state. And I have actually read he gave his insurance and registration, he had not yet given his driver's licence (or concealed carry permit) in the video.

This man has been stopped some 40 times prior, so I think he knows how these typically goes, and was probably following it the way he normally does. *This* cop had a hair trigger, and gave confusing commands. He didn't say "freeze" or "put up your hands" or "don't move" or "I need you to slowly exit the vehicle" or "where is the weapon?".

Officer Yanez gave a command for driver's licence and car registration. Got the registration, and Philando Castile told him he has a weapon and a concealed carry permit. While he reached for his licence Yanez told him to "not reach for it", Philando told him he wasn't, as did Diamond Reynolds. Yanez, either due to weak character (for a high-pressure job), and/or weak training, then lost it.

Now, obviously the logic part of Yanez brain turned off, but what person tells an officer they have a legal gun when they intend to use it? They've just taken away the element of surprise.

As I said, Philando Castile had been stopped like some 40 times by cops before this. To suggest Philando did something different to provoke an officer this time is ridiculous.

And I am tired of people blaming the person who don't have any training for the high stress situation of interacting with cops while black, instead of placing the blame on the officers who do have training to deal with citizens in high stress situations. Why do we have higher expectations of regular people than we do of law enforcement?! It is ridiculous. You know, soldiers won't fire on unless they are fired on first. In a war zone.

We need to admit a number of problems in our society, and in law enforcement in particular. Racism/racial-bias (both explicit and implicit) as well as wholly inadequate training of our law enforcement.

- Masha Gessen

#16 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

I wonder how the anti-BLM groups will explain this one away:

Off-duty St. Louis Officer Shot by White Officer

It is actually a fox news link, it is the local affiliate and has a video clip of a reporter talking about the incident.

Luckily it was just in the arm (don't know where the shooter was aiming, but it only hit the arm, and the black cop is expected to make a full recovery).

On-duty cops where tracking/chasing a gunman in a stolen car. There was an accident/commotion in the neighbourhood of the off-duty cop's home. The off-duty cop came out of his home, with his registered work weapon, to see if he could provide assistance. The three on-duty cops on scene had the off-duty cop go to the ground, then they recognized him and give him directions. When another on-duty cop later just arrived on the scene he, fearing for his safety, shot at the off-duty cop he didn't recognize…. didn't check in with the on-duty cops already on scene. Guess black off-duty cops should just not help out when they are available but off-duty….

Edited by sierraleone, 24 June 2017 - 07:02 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#17 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

This ended up in my feed today:

https://m.facebook.c...654642611381601

I don't know how anyone could watch this and not conclude there isn't a problem with race and policing in America.

- Masha Gessen

#18 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:15 PM

In 1976 I was 22 years old. I'd had to drop out of college in my junior year to take care of my disabled father, taking a job in a supermarket which turned out to be my eventual career choice. I lived with my dad in an apartment in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood. One night while I was watching tv my dad said he was going to walk down to the liquor mart about a block away, maybe a ten minute mission back and forth. When he didn't return in 20 minutes I became a bit concerned. After a half hour I was pretty worried.

I decided to walk down the block to the liquor store to check on him, but before I did went to the back of the apt. building where my car was parked and retrieved the tire iron I kept there under the front seat to reinforce my viewpoint should any roadside confrontations arise. I slipped the tire iron up my right coat sleeve to conceal it. I went back to the street out front and continued to the store, checking the gutter and in between cars in case someone had mugged my dad and he might be laying there. Luckily he wasn't there, nor at the store when I checked there.

I started the return trip home, but this time moved over a half block so I could go up the alley way that paralleled my street in case my dad had decided to take a longer way home. I entered the head of the alley and got about 50 yards in when a bright spotlight shone on me and a police officer commanded me through a bullhorn to freeze up against the wall, to which I immediately complied. After the squad car rolled up and the officer got out and approached me, I politely informed him that I had a tire iron concealed in my jacket sleeve...similar to Philando Castile telling his killer he was carrying a firearm.

The officer wondered why I would be carrying a tire iron and relieved me of it as I gently and slowly allowed it to drop out of my sleeve. So I explained truthfully what had happened and why I was in the alley with a concealed tire iron. I provided my ID upon his request and the address on my driver's license was in another part of the city as I moved around a bit in those days and I hadn't yet changed it at the DMV. He asked me for my current address and I couldn't for the life of me remember it since I was so nervous and ashamed to be stopped by the police in an alley. I told him that I lived just up the block where my car was parked in the rear of the building. The officer gave me a lift up to my car and I unlocked it and showed him where I kept my tire iron, under the seat. He advised me that was an illegal place to keep it, returned to me the tire iron and suggested I put it in the car's trunk.

He told me he hoped my dad would return home safe and also said he was required to keep a copy of the field incident report of our encounter in a file at the police station for a few months or years, I don't recall exactly how long. Then he wished me a good evening and let me go about my business. He didn't shoot me, beat me with his baton, mace or tase me. Didn't cuff and arrest me. I wondered then and wonder still every time I recall or repeat this story how I would have fared if I had not been a clean cut, short-haired white kid, but instead black, Latino, a scary muscular Samoan, or some other minority held in general fear or suspicion because of cultural or institutional prejudice. A few years before as a teen I'd worked in an amusement zone in the city with arcades and carnival type rides. It was popular on the weekends and this police department was infamous for its casual brutality toward blacks and Hispanics. The cops would park two paddy wagons halfway up the midway and pack them with drunken minorities, and anecdotally I heard tales of them going to town on these poor saps with billy clubs and black jacks, directed by a racist sadistic seargent named Frenchie.

My dad came home about 3:00 AM. He'd caught a cab over to a neighboring city that sports poker clubs and had enjoyed his evening over there. He thought what I'd gone through to be hilarious. He called the police station later that morning to confirm my account and was told they'd still have to keep the incident field report on file. I always expected that the first time some 6' 2" white kid with brown hair robbed or assaulted someone with a tire iron in town they'd be at my door with cuffs and questions. So far so good. And blessed by luck of the genetic draw to have a light skin tone.

Edited by yadda yadda, 25 June 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#19 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

Experts in law, police procedures, and officer training, weighed in on the video of this shooting for this NYT article.

- Masha Gessen

#20 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

WaPo: 'I told him I can't breathe': Police punch teen girl after mistaking her for black male suspect.

Okay, some might read that headline and say, sometimes sex isn't apparent, and or it is ambiguous.

At a nearby grocery store there had been reports of a man, with a machete. LEO are looking for this suspect, and they have a right to be cautious approaching such a suspect, right?

Suspect description:     25-30 years old. Bald. Black. Male.  ~5'10". ~170 lbs. Oh, and goatee!
Person wrongly assaulted: 19 years old. Hair. Black. Female. 5' 2".   115 lbs. No goatee.

She ended up being treated in the hospital, and had bites from a K9 dog. Even after being treated she was arrested for delaying or resisting an officer and aggravated assault on an officer. They claim she forced an officer to the ground with her shoulder! While surrounded with guns pointed at her and a K9 dog….. Ha! Is this 115 lb person a ninja?

Edited by sierraleone, 13 July 2017 - 04:31 PM.

- Masha Gessen

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users