Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Black Lives Matter

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:04 AM

WHEN BLACK LIVES MATTER, then all lives will matter.

Until black lives matter, every life is potentially ripe for discount. Every life that reflects ANY difference. Any thing that makes me unique and YOU unique can be a reason to claim it's ok if you go to jail for a crime you commit, but I don't go to jail for the same crime. Any quirk that makes you stand out can be  the quirk that justifies my fear of you, and my use of lethal force, when other options were available. It could be anything.

Right now, it just happens to be my brown skin. My life should matter, but my skin color means the value of my life is discounted against the value of...well, everyone.

If anyone asks why I say BLACK LIVES MATTER, let the record show that I answered, "Because when they do, all lives will."

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#22 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,117 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:27 AM

*hugs QueenTiye*

And what the President says matters… Not because it is right, but because of its influence and power, over government and over culture.

I tried to watch/hear his speech yesterday where he said that there were good people on both sides of that protest, and asked the media essentially why they didn't condemn the "alt-left", but my computer wouldn't co-operate. I heard exerpts of it listening to last nights episode of Rachel Maddow this smoring.

What he said was no mistaken or blunder or stupidity. It was deliberate. He knew what he was saying, and he said what he wanted, how he really felt, and knew it would endear him to the 'alt right'/KKK/etc.

Edited by sierraleone, 16 August 2017 - 05:32 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#23 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,799 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 16 August 2017 - 12:04 AM, said:

If anyone asks why I say BLACK LIVES MATTER, let the record show that I answered, "Because when they do, all lives will."

Amen. [Oh, and  {{{ hugs }}} ] :)

Wait, I do want to add something.  In addition to what QT said, I'd like to remind everyone that stating that BLM does not diminish anyone else.  It's not ike there is only so much compassion, caring, and quality to go around.  Equality is not an hourglass that will run out of sand if too many people have it, or if we acknowledge that BLM.  

I do not say all lives matter because in our culture that has NOT been true.  The way it is said nowadays is like a cliche that someone thought up so they didn't have to face the reality of inequality.  They conflate the desperate cries of BLM for some kind of condemnation that White lives don't matter.  Rubbish.  

White lives have always mattered.  That is our privilege.  We matter.  Get it? We don't have to talk about it because we don't know what it is like to be profiled, hunted down because of our skin color, see our men hung for nothing more than existing, see our women raped, see communities ravaged by poverty and laughed at for it.  We do not live in that world, but we are all responsible for the world we created for them.

And for white people to get all up in arms because of the title BLM, or because we don't have a white history month [please don't get me started on that..] is morally bankrupt and ignorant of history. When we actually do come to recognize that many of our fellow human beings get up every morning knowing that they don't matter as much as their wealthy, white, straight, Christian neighbor, then we will be on our way to making "all lives matter" a reality.  Until then, we all need to be reminded that BLACK LIVES MATTER, because it is too easily forgotten and it's not looking like it is getting any better.  

[I guess I had a lot more to say.. oh well ]

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#24 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

Love you, Cait! Love you twin (sierra)!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#25 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,117 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 13 July 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

WaPo: 'I told him I can't breathe': Police punch teen girl after mistaking her for black male suspect.

Okay, some might read that headline and say, sometimes sex isn't apparent, and or it is ambiguous.

At a nearby grocery store there had been reports of a man, with a machete. LEO are looking for this suspect, and they have a right to be cautious approaching such a suspect, right?

Suspect description: 25-30 years old. Bald. Black. Male.  ~5'10". ~170 lbs. Oh, and goatee!
Person wrongly assaulted: 19 years old. Hair. Black. Female. 5' 2".   115 lbs. No goatee.

She ended up being treated in the hospital, and had bites from a K9 dog. Even after being treated she was arrested for delaying or resisting an officer and aggravated assault on an officer. They claim she forced an officer to the ground with her shoulder! While surrounded with guns pointed at her and a K9 dog….. Ha! Is this 115 lb person a ninja?

There is an update on this story in the WaPo:
Teen girl files claim against police who mistook her for a black male suspect and punched her

- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#26 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:17 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 05 September 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

These are people that are supposed to be trained to recognize a suspect. They didn't even recognize that she is a she (which is beyond obvious), while they were looking for a male. No wonder they didn't notice the obvious size difference, or hair. They should be removed from the police department, and not allowed to be police in any other state.
I hope she does sue them and the city.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#27 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

Pig accountability lies at the core of the problem. It shouldn't require a video of a white nurse being illegally dragged from a hospital to spark some sort of reaction.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users