• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

It is one thing making someone uncomfortable through educating them on the benefits invisibly defaulted to them due to innate characteristics, it is another to use what they to as a kind of slur.

That can just be tone, which is hard to come across in print. I have, and I am sure many others, have heard the word "women" or "men" said derisively.

There is understandable overlap in how some handle having such conversation cavalierly or insensitively, either on the giving or receiving end. And sometimes people seem to expect to be molly-coddled on these topics to the degree it is its own political correctness.

I personally was bothered by the use of whitey. I didn't really know how to pin-point my bother at first. I agree racism and white privilege are real problems. Racism (and white privilege) are serious topics, and I felt it didn't add to the conversation, and treated it cavalierly. I wouldn't have called it light-hearted humour to lighten the mood, but humour is in the mind, and sometimes diaphragm, of the beholder.

See you guys Monday or Tuesday.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#22 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,277 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 06 July 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

Since this thread is about GOP treason and there has been discussion of not answering hatred with hatred, I thought this fit here. This what the GOP should be. Straus is a man who wants to focus on actually governing the state and worrying about real issues, not what bathroom a person uses.  
Yes, indeed, this is a very good story-- this sort of story should be reported and encouraged. Fiscal conservatism is a legitimate point of view.

He's also right to be worried about how influential Christians have become in the party. I see so many Christians get upset at Sharia law and fear it coming here but don't get the irony and hypocrisy that many Republicans are passing laws based on what they think the Bible teaches and turning a lot of people into second class citizens because of it.  
This is something we can thank Reagan for. There have been times when I thought that the Republican Party would split along fiscal and evangelical lines, but it hasn't happened yet.

View Postgsmonks, on 06 July 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

Bollocks. It's all in the intent, which you're all ignoring, trying to put words in my mouth to serve your own agenda(s).  
There is no acceptable intent for bigotry. And the only possible result is social division along imaginary "racial" lines, which in this case aided in the election of The Donald to the presidency.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#23 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:37 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 07 July 2017 - 02:55 AM, said:

View Postgsmonks, on 06 July 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

View PostRJDiogenes, on 06 July 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

View Postgsmonks, on 05 July 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

"Whitey" isn't a racial slur. At least not yet. It's a reaction, a social comment.  
Of course it is. And your post illustrates one of the ways in which the Left has failed catastrophically: The belief that Left-Wing bigotry is superior to Right-Wing bigotry, that Left-Wing chauvinism is superior to Right-Wing chauvinism, that Left-Wing ignorance is superior to Right-Wing ignorance, and that Left-Wing hatred is superior to Right-Wing hatred. They're not. Bigotry, chauvinism, ignorance, and hatred are the enemies, no matter who practices them.

Bollocks. It's all in the intent, which you're all ignoring, trying to put words in my mouth to serve your own agenda(s).

On top of which I'm neither a left- or right-wing supporter. If anything, I'm a secularist conservative nihilist.

My point, as I said before, is that white people aren't an oppressed group being called "whitey" all the time by non-white bigots. The latter exist only in tiny numbers, not enough to entail a group.

That disingenuous nonsense aside, GOP treason is seldom outed as such, but it is everywhere. Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and many other Republicans, have stated that they want the US to become a Christian theocracy (Right-Wing Christian agenda is the embodiment of treason), that that would be their end-game if they were able to make it reality. Mitch McConnel is of the ilk that believe Republicans and only Republicans should be allowed to govern (this came out when the so-called "nuclear" option was used), that non-Republicans are a danger to his precious bodily fluids. He also tends to conflate non-Republican Democracy with "Left-Wing Liberals who are out to undermine everything this country stands for", and other such insane vitriol.

For many Republicans, "Make America Great Again" = "Make America White Again". There are too many t-shirts stating this for it to not be a factor:

https://www.google.c...=mrc&uact=8

https://www.google.c...=mrc&uact=8

The fact that wh*tey is a racist offensive term has nothing to do with oppressed minorities or privileged enclaves. That is an irrelevant distraction you've thrown up to try to derail the fact you are trafficking in offensive racist terminology here, upsetting people to the point you've been asked to desist, and yet you stubbornly and arrogantly insist on repeating the offense. Lebron James is not representative of an oppressed minority. He is a millionaire many times over, respected as the best of the elite at his craft. And yet he was offended when someone vandalized his home by tagging it with the "N" word.

The offensive racist word had nothing to do with his status in society. It was intended to offend and terrorize him by the use of a derogatory epithet singling him out for his race and skin tone and attempting to degrade him for those characteristics. Your use of "whitey" seeks to single out people by skin tone and ascribe negative characteristics and connotation to that particular generalized trait and genetic condition. You could come to any community of color near where I live and walk around addressing people with the pejorative term that begins with "n" and see how far you get trying to intellectulize how the term isn't offensive because of some egghead sociological thesis you've devised. I don't like you throwing around a term that generalizes me or others I know because of my skin tone. That's prejudiced and offensive. Offensive not just to me, but to others here as well. This is the last thing I'm going to say about it to you. I've tried being reasonable and polite about it and you have responded with boorish disrespect. If you intend to metaphorically fart in this forum's elevator because you see no offense given since that's just who you are and how you were raised, I will stay out of your elevator by simply ignoring you and your rancid posts. Fart away, Stinky. Fart like an ill broken wind. Good luck to you and your oppressed flatulent minority group.

You still either don't get it or are pretending ignorance.

The term "Whitey" is generally used to describe arrogant white conservatives in positions of influence or power which they abuse. It has been used by comedians, social commentators, humorists, and many others, for many years. Steve Marten, for example.

Pretend to not get that all you like.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#24 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 07 July 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

You still either don't get it or are pretending ignorance.

The term "Whitey" is generally used to describe arrogant white conservatives in positions of influence or power which they abuse. It has been used by comedians, social commentators, humorists, and many others, for many years. Steve Marten, for example.

Pretend to not get that all you like.

By this logic, it's okay to use the 'N' word, too. Many terms have been used for years, this doesn't make them acceptable. This is not being overly PC, this is having respect for people. Which is the death of racism.

So, you say it is "generally used to describe arrogant white conservatives", meaning you only use the term when you are speaking of "arrogant white conservatives"? Okay:

View Postgsmonks, on 12 June 2017 - 01:41 AM, said:

But no, the indigenous peoples weren't predominant. Depending on the area, 65% to 95% of them had become extinct, either from disease contracted from whitey or from genocide.

Not only "arrogant white conservatives". Disease would have been contracted by simple contact with white people that had no idea they themselves were sick, or had no idea what they were sick from, etc...

View Postgsmonks, on 15 March 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Clickbait b.s.

The test, like old IQ tests, was found to have a racial bias. 64% of Whiteys passed on the first try, while 46% percent of Latinos and 42% of blacks passed. Like old-style IQ tests, certain of the questions were such that only Whitey could hope to answer.

So, in this case, "arrogant white conservatives" were the kids passing the tests.

View Postgsmonks, on 10 January 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

LOL! Yes, the next four years in Whitey's House are sure to resemble this!

Tell me, was it "Whitey's House" while Obama was in office? Or was it simply The White House?

View Postgsmonks, on 23 November 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

If I'm correct, the instant Trump is installed on the throne, CNN will begin a campaign of propaganda issuing from Whitey's House.

See above.

In the quotes from this thread, you basically stated that your use of "whitey" was acceptable from a historical perspective:

View Postgsmonks, on 04 November 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

Actually, the "birth of rock and roll" was actually the appropriation of rhythm and blues. Jailhouse Rock is an R & B tune. "Rock 'n' Roll" is a whitey term, like "Dixieland". "Dixieland" is Ragtime played by whitey. There are examples of "Rock 'n' Roll" dating as far back as the 1920s.

View Postgsmonks, on 05 November 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

"Rock 'n' Roll" is just the whitey term for "R & B". Presley's Jailhouse Rock is an R & B tune. "Rock" was a blanket name give to a wide variety of subsequent pop tunes, many of which had the chord progression I-VI-IV-V (EG Last Kiss, a bazillion 50's "Rock" tunes).

View Postgsmonks, on 06 November 2015 - 02:19 AM, said:

Speaking of culture, one of the things you study in Jazz History is black invention and white appropriation- hence the term "whitey". Louis Armstrong, Coleman Hawkins and Miles Davis would have said "o-fay", which was pig-Latin for "Foe", a coded term for "whitey".

Blacks invented Ragtime, whites appropriated is as "Dixieland". Blacks invented R & B, whites appropriated it as "Rock 'n' Roll". Blacks invented jazz, whites not only took to it as though it were their own, but many over the years claimed to have invented it. This is a much-studied process that went on from the early days of Vaudeville until ca 1963.

For example, Nick LaRocca of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, in the post-WWI Jazz Era, was a rabid racist who claimed that, in his own words, "black people had had nothing to do with it", regarding the invention of jazz.

So yeah, "whitey".

View Postgsmonks, on 07 November 2015 - 04:41 AM, said:

By "whitey", I'm referring to attitudes of the day. When studying and writing about the times, overt racism can neither be ignored nor minimised in any way. It's not a problem that can be solved, because it's in the past, and is what it is. Or was.

And, as with this thread, it's nothing you have done wrong, we are pretending to be unable to comprehend what you have said, or are ignorant. You should come up with a new line. This one has been used one too many times.

Edited by Elara, 08 July 2017 - 06:48 PM.

El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users