3 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

--- Intro - no spoilers ---

So I finally got around to trying this, and once I sat down to watch it I couldn't stop!  I watched the entire season in 3 days, LOL!  :lol:

Dan Stevens is absolutely amazing in this.  The sheer nuance and range he displays is incredible, and he is SO much fun to watch.  :love:  And when he gives that wry half smile, *sigh* ... Ok, I'll move on.  ;)

The rest of this thread will have serious spoilers, and since I watched it all together I can't be too specific on what episode I am spoiling.  I will be basically discussing the season as a whole.

Seriously, if you have not seen the show, but plan to, don't read past where I say spoilers!  :o

And, for anyone deciding whether to watch this, I absolutely recommend it!  It is fascinating, fun, weird, creepy, interesting, and thought provoking in about a zillion ways!  :D  (Just don't read spoilers first.)  ;)

But first, a non-spoiler talk show clip, and a question about possibilities for season 2:

Ok, after seeing that clip, what do you think the chances are of Patrick Stewart appearing in season 2?  I know that nothing in that clip was official, but after that conversation it sure doesn't sound like he'd say no!  :D

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

- - - Spoilers for all of season 1 - - -

Question:  What is the meaning of the repeated wolf symbolism throughout the show?  "The Eye" (Walter?) always carried that wolf carving everywhere, and then when Hamish Linklater (forgot his character's name) became the new "eye" he carried the wolf cane.  But then there were those stuffed wolves all over Summerland.

Are the wolves meant to be a comic reference?  Or deeper symbolism?  Psychological or thematic cue?  Or some combination of those?

I absolutely loved the scenes where David discussed everything with the manifestation of his "rational mind".  It was just such a great sequence, partly in how it was filmed, but also it was so satisfying to see him finally have a chance to step back and figure things out for himself.  :cool:  (Was that episode 7?)

And I laughed so hard at the part about his rational mind being British!  :howling:
"I'm you, your rational mind"
"And you're ... British?"
"Like I said: I'm your rational mind!" :howling:

There were other jokes as well that seemed very meta. Like when David first visited Oliver's ice cube and wanted to leave, and he tried a bunch of hand motions when trying to use his powers!  That was too funny!  :howling:

Question about the final fight:  When Sydney went in and let the demon out to save David, did she fully swap with David?  Or did only the demon jump into her, before jumping along into the others?

They each seemed to be themselves after, without having to switch back.  So maybe it was just the demon leaping from person to person?

Then there was that post credits ending!  :eek:  Who sent that orb thing?  Was it Division 3?  Or someone else?  :o

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

I don't know the significance of the wolf symbolism. Maybe Division 3 formed first to deal with Wolverine. :)

The demon is called The Shadow King and comes from the comics. It usually jumps from host-to-host but stuck with David so long because of his incredible psychic powers. We see in the end that it has settled in with Oliver for the time being. So all the others it inhabited are free of it.

I would guess that Division 3 was behind the orb but it could be some new player. That's why it's a cliffhanger.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

I quite enjoyed this and got a kick out of getting the wife to sit down and watch the pilot with me as she is a psychiatrist and helped me deconstruct the episode, pointing out how the interrogator from Div 3 was an excellent psychiatrist while the hospital psychiatrist was so so bad he was probably a delusion or another patient and Sydney besides being naturally manipulative had no mental health issues. Sadly she refused to watch the rest of the series with me as the actor playing David freaked her out as he was portraying schizophrenia so well with his behavior and body language.
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Legion, Legion: Season 1, Marvel, Marvel TV, X-Men

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users