24 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Here is a new NRA ad that came out yesterday:

Edited by sierraleone, 01 July 2017 - 09:44 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

Holy crap!   :fear: :fear: :fear:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

{{{{{{{{Sci-Fi Girl}}}}}}}

Meanwhile, a happy warm and fuzzy distraction for balance:
The Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion (CCDI) created a video "Free AF" for Canada's 150th 'birthday':
Warning, one spoken swear word at the very end, the swear word the video title implies ;)

Edited by sierraleone, 01 July 2017 - 12:48 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

It is hard to believe a civil-rights organization released that ad.
(That is what the NRA is, isn't it, defending specifically the rights to bear arms per the 2nd amendment, but a civil-rights organization nonetheless. At least some argue they are the oldest American civil rights organization, as I understand it.)

- Masha Gessen

#5 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,772 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

We will be lucky to get out of this alive.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#6 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

OMG.  I am really seeing another Civil War but where the middle states want out.  And I'm in a blue pocket of a red state.  I don't WANT to be on the red state side if it happens.  The only thing that might get us to unite is an alien (as in from space, not other countries) invasion.  Glad I'm old and might not have to deal with it.
Cats will never be extinct!

#7 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,985 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

^Remember, there are no red or blue states, only shades of purple. Even if all Republicans wanted out of the US, that's still only 60% of the voters in Tennessee. They're not getting far without the other 40%.

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:42 PM

Nah, nobody's going anywhere-- except The Donald, at some point.  We've survived a Civil War, and Prohibition, and the Great Depression, and Vietnam, and a whole bunch of other things. We'll survive this.  That NRA commercial is great, because it shows their extremist core without disguise and it has turned a lot of their own people against them. Unfortunately, both ideologies have become so enmeshed in their own extremism that things really have to hit rock bottom before they can get better.

Posted Image
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

And that Canadian commercial is hilarious.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#10 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 02 July 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

Nah, nobody's going anywhere-- except The Donald, at some point.  We've survived a Civil War, and Prohibition, and the Great Depression, and Vietnam, and a whole bunch of other things. We'll survive this.  That NRA commercial is great, because it shows their extremist core without disguise and it has turned a lot of their own people against them. Unfortunately, both ideologies have become so enmeshed in their own extremism that things really have to hit rock bottom before they can get better.

Things were lost though, in each of those lives were lost. When you say "we'll survive" referring to those tragedies and not reconizing that actually not everyone survived those events impacts. It seems almost disingenuous to phrase it that way. I don't think you meant it that way at all. And by no means I am all doom with presumptive predictions that the US will have a civil war or some other major catastrophe during this term that can be partly contributed to Trump (or Republicans) the that will cost American lives (though the Republcian health care in its current format could do that if it gets passed).

So I will assume when you say "we" you mean the US as a country, as a whole. But it doesn't come thru the even whole, not really. People are lost and/or harmed by these events. And we need to try to do something about that, before, during, and after.

I am not trying to criticize you or even entirely the sentiment. We need to have hope things will be alright in the end, even if we admit that will require work. I just don't want us/people to loose sight of the fact that some people will loose a lot more than others, whether that could be their lives (via scenarios such as civil or foreign wars, police brutality, or hate crimes, etc), or "just" their freedoms.... I don't think it is fear-mongering, not when there are already disparities in how people are treated today. I simply don't see that ending without a lot of work, and in crises disparities between peoples doesn't go away, so I just see it as recognizing that. If that makes sense.

- Masha Gessen

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 02 July 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

And that Canadian commercial is hilarious.  :lol:

I instantly fell in love with it :D I would totally not mind if it became Canada's new anthem :)

- Masha Gessen

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 02 July 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

So I will assume when you say "we" you mean the US as a country, as a whole. But it doesn't come thru the even whole, not really. People are lost and/or harmed by these events. And we need to try to do something about that, before, during, and after.  
Well, of course I mean the country. I didn't just mean the people in this thread.  :lol:

I am not trying to criticize you or even entirely the sentiment. We need to have hope things will be alright in the end, even if we admit that will require work. I just don't want us/people to loose sight of the fact that some people will loose a lot more than others, whether that could be their lives (via scenarios such as civil or foreign wars, police brutality, or hate crimes, etc), or "just" their freedoms.... I don't think it is fear-mongering, not when there are already disparities in how people are treated today. I simply don't see that ending without a lot of work, and in crises disparities between peoples doesn't go away, so I just see it as recognizing that. If that makes sense.  
And of course it will require effort and action. In all of the examples I cited, any many more (the Civil War is still our most costly war in terms of American lives), lives were lost and damaged. That's a given. But in this particular Dark Age, I think people will be called upon to sacrifice something more difficult than their lives-- their egos and ideology.

#13 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:37 PM

^ I thought I read the revolutionary war was the most costly... (per capita).

Hmm, Google fu..

Revolutionary war: 18-27K colonial troops killed.
1776 population: 2,500K.
Per capita: 0.72 - 1.08% killed.

Civil war: 180-240K American (unionist & confederate) troops killed.
1860 population: 31,000K.
Per capita: 0.75 - 0.77% killed.

And when one considers a civil war counts the death of opposing sides as belonging to one nation (in this case both unionist and confederates are counted as Americans losses) that makes the Revolutionary war possibly even more bloody. Though depends, looking at per capita, where one defines where the opposing troops were drawn from. Colonist who were British Loyalists, some of whom eventually fled to what later became Canada? The British Empire or just Britain, or the greater UK in whatever form it existed as at that time?

Edited by sierraleone, 02 July 2017 - 09:40 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#14 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

^^  I think you're just looking at the Union numbers there for the Civil War. I was just talking about straight casualty numbers, not the percentage of the population. As you say, the population of Colonial America was about one quarter of the audience for the Walking Dead, so I'm not sure that it would be a meaningful comparison.  American casualties in all other wars combined did not exceed the Civil War alone until the 1960s.

#15 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 03 July 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

^^  I think you're just looking at the Union numbers there for the Civil War. I was just talking about straight casualty numbers, not the percentage of the population. As you say, the population of Colonial America was about one quarter of the audience for the Walking Dead, so I'm not sure that it would be a meaningful comparison.  American casualties in all other wars combined did not exceed the Civil War alone until the 1960s.

Depends on what you mean by "meaningful". Humans experience is lived subjectively, not objectively. So, a per capita casualty rate seems just as valid to use to determine how costly in human lives a war was, to the people that existed during those wars. I wouldn't be surprised if China has more people in prison than the U.S. does, but that tells you little when you don't compare it to the population.

Yes, in absolute numbers more people suffered and died during the American Civil War. Does it take away from that to say that the average person during the Revolutionary War had about the same number of people in their circle die as the average person during the Civil War?

Edited by sierraleone, 03 July 2017 - 04:16 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#16 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 01 July 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Meanwhile, a happy warm and fuzzy distraction for balance:
The Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion (CCDI) created a video "Free AF" for Canada's 150th 'birthday':

It was warm and fuzzy until I started reading the comments which seemed to be mostly posted by folk who would probably be Trump fans...

Edited by Themis, 03 July 2017 - 05:24 PM.

Cats will never be extinct!

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:28 PM

^^ Most of them are probably sock puppets.

View Postsierraleone, on 03 July 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

Yes, in absolute numbers more people suffered and died during the American Civil War. Does it take away from that to say that the average person during the Revolutionary War had about the same number of people in their circle die as the average person during the Civil War?  
The point being, though, that it's not really relevant in this context. A lot of people died for good causes in the Revolution and the Civil War, a lot of people died for no good reason during Prohibition and the Great Depression. The kids who died at Kent State represented an insignificant fraction of the college population, but the fallout of their deaths was far reaching. People have already died in the Trump Debacle and there will probably be more. But that doesn't mean that the country and the principles it stands for won't survive. They can and they will, if we stand up for them-- but a lot of people are going to have to change their ways to make it happen.

#18 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

What is scary to me about the new NRA ad is that is came out about the same time as Trump wants the names, addresses, etc. of all the people who voted against him.  Forget the idea of the secrecy of the ballot.  What is wanted is a targeted death list.

#19 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

View Post3C273, on 24 July 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

What is scary to me about the new NRA ad is that is came out about the same time as Trump wants the names, addresses, etc. of all the people who voted against him.  Forget the idea of the secrecy of the ballot.  What is wanted is a targeted death list.

Yeah, that occurred to me too. We can't have a national registry of gun owners but 45 wants a comprehensive list of all voters, by party affiliation? I guess those FEMA/reeducation camps need to be filled somehow.

#20 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

What, EXACTLY, is wrong with that ad? It tells the TRUTH about what is happening. Oh, that's apparently what the problem with it is: It exposes the Truth about just how VIOLENT the Left is.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users