• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

Excellent, powerful journalism by Stephanie McCrummen:

When a Muslim doctor arrived in a rural Midwestern town, “it felt right.” But that feeling began to change after the election of Donald Trump.

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:37 AM

I read this a couple days ago, I concur, excellent powerful journalism.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

Pretty much all religions and non-religions are represented by my friends and family. One thing we all have in common is that when the subject of terrorism comes up, nothing is ever associated with it, like ethnicity, religion, etc. Like car wrecks 'n' fights, it's mostly a phenomenon involving stupid young guys with too much time on their hands. To my way of thinking, ISIS isn't much different from the type of young guy who gets drunk, drives like an idiot, and kills a family of 6 in their minivan. It's typical young-guy stuff, lots of action, zero thought involved for consequences or the bigger picture.

To a person not given to thinking things through, it's often viewed as a mysterious, incomprehensible force that's somehow associated with brown people. When enough people think that way, you have a social problem that needs addressing.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

This article is NOT "Excellent Journalism". It is nothing more then an opinion article. Hell the whole premise behind the article is that "Trump shouldn't have been elected", the writer then uses this Muslim Doctor to push the writer's viewpoint of Trump is evil. Straight up opinionism, nothing more. Certainly nothing like what excellent journalism is suppose to be, namely impartial and unbiased.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

^ The article seems to be largely talking about the experience of this Doctor, who is Muslin and lives in a rural mid-western town, since the 2016 election. They didn't say Trump was evil. In fact apparently someone called the Doctor the embodiment of evil.

Some journalism, like profile articles, tells us valuable information about other people's experiences and lives, and since everyone's experience their life subjectively telling that person's story is not the same as relaying facts, like one might when analyzing health care bills or tax bills.

Do you think there is little of value in this story for readers? Do you think this Doctor feelings and thoughts post-2016 election is completely out of proportion to his subjective experience as relayed and expressed? Why or why not? How do you think a journalist should approach profile stories about heated/contentious relationships?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

What I personally took away from the article is that I think I would really like and get along with that guy, if ever we were to meet in person.

Trump is an Interweb troll. Who in their right mind likes Interweb trolls?
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#7 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:33 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 06 July 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

This article is NOT "Excellent Journalism". It is nothing more then an opinion article. Hell the whole premise behind the article is that "Trump shouldn't have been elected", the writer then uses this Muslim Doctor to push the writer's viewpoint of Trump is evil. Straight up opinionism, nothing more. Certainly nothing like what excellent journalism is suppose to be, namely impartial and unbiased.

That's not journalism. That's the establishment media fantasy of what journalism is. It's the mythical "View from Nowhere":

http://pressthink.or...ns-and-answers/

In pro journalism, American style, the View from Nowhere is a bid for trust that advertises the viewlessness of the news producer. Frequently it places the journalist between polarized extremes, and calls that neither-nor position “impartial.” Second, it’s a means of defense against a style of criticism that is fully anticipated: charges of bias originating in partisan politics and the two-party system. Third: it’s an attempt to secure a kind of universal legitimacy that is implicitly denied to those who stake out positions or betray a point of view. American journalists have almost a lust for the View from Nowhere because they think it has more authority than any other possible stance.

Of course there is objective truth and all journalists should strive to attain it, but as I'm sure you know, all humans are biased. Journalists reveal bias just by what stories they choose to cover and in which proportion, let alone how they frame those stories and which details they report.

Look, for example, at how little coverage there has been for generations in the establishment media of our frequent bombing of civilians, our alliances with dictators and support for military coups, our use of the IMF and the World Bank to extract resources from developing countries, our funding and arming of extremist, terrorist sects of Islam and climate change. Has that been objective, as the establishment media would have us believe, or has that been a reflection of subjective values?

Were the moderators of our presidential debates being objective when they completely ignored climate change for the last two presidential cycles (while also allowing a question on energy from a coal company executive)? Were they being objective when they ignored Yemen, a country we've been aiding Saudi Arabia in devastating?

The purported journalists who've been complicit in keeping those major events hidden or obscured are the same type of people who then lecture about what real journalism is and how the people trying to expose those aforementioned government crimes have disqualified themselves from the profession because they are too motivated by their opinions.

Even though the Washington Post is one of the establishment outlets I'm referring to, it still does some quality journalism and that article about the Muslim doctor was a great example because it was an honest, in-depth, well written chronicle of his experience and one that holds an urgent message not just for Americans but for anyone fearful of or seduced by the wave of anti-Muslim bigotry that is sweeping over much of the world. Sometimes journalism is just about telling people's stories.

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

View Postcade, on 07 July 2017 - 01:33 AM, said:

and that article about the Muslim doctor was a great example because it was an honest, in-depth, well written chronicle of his experience and one that holds an urgent message not just for Americans but for anyone fearful of or seduced by the wave of anti-Muslim bigotry that is sweeping over much of the world. Sometimes journalism is just about telling people's stories.

About the article being well written, I'll concede on that point. It was very well written, even if it did come across to me as the writer preaching that Trump is evil incarnate. But, then again, that could also be my own personal bias kicking in when I read the article.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#9 AaronRic

AaronRic
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:39 PM

Tonight I tried out Kw Goa fish style, care of love thy curry.
How good was it?
Well I think I have smoked my last Kw  
Many thanks for the heads up MA

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users