Details in this thread

Random Movie Reviews

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:53 PM

Basically the same idea I had for books, only now for movies. A place to discuss movies that might not generate a lot of discussion or to talk about older movies. Case in point:

Posted Image

It took me a while to finally watch Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. I had heard horrible things about it of course and the main opinion seemed to be that it was an abomination. When I did finally watch it I was surprised to discover that I actually enjoyed parts of it.

Make no mistake. This isn’t a good movie. It kind of qualifies, IMO, in the so bad its good category but even that might be stretching it. I think the movie has potential, but squanders a lot of it.

Let’s start with the good stuff. Christopher Reeve is Superman. There’s no doubt about that. He’s just as amazing here as he is in the other films. He handles the Clark/Superman dichotomy extremely well, and he’s still good at the physical gags.

His speech at the end about how he tried to bring peace to humankind but realized that he can’t do that because it is up to humanity to do it was great. You really believed him. I also loved that he took Lenny to a boy’s school at the end. Corny, maybe, but Superman is all about second chances.

Margot Kidder does great here as Lois Lane. I loved that she remembered that Clark was Superman (though was angered when he gave her the amnesia kiss again) and it was nice to see Clark go to her to figure out his problems. Lois was Clark’s rock here and also stood up for journalistic integrity which was nice to see.

I’m sure not many will agree with me, but I liked Nuclear Man. Sure, his Lady Deathstrike-esque nails were extremely stupid but he was an effective villain in that he could go toe to toe with Superman. The two battles between the Man of Steel and Nuclear Man were well done, for the most part.

Superman’s decision over whether or not to get rid of nuclear missiles was a good idea for the movie, but it wasn’t used as well as it could have been. I liked that Superman agonized over whether geting involved or not was the right thing to do. He lost one planet that might have been saved had something been done so maybe he should do something now on Earth to stop nuclear Armageddon. At the same time, he doesn’t want to interfere with the natural course of humanity.

I liked that the letter from Jeremy was basically used to make a sensational news story. Superman wasn’t swayed to get rid of the weapons just because one school boy asked him to. He received a lot of pressure after the new Daily Planet owners turned to letter into a sensationalistic news story about how Superman said no.

Speaking of, I liked the idea of the Daily Planet getting taken over and turned into a tabloid. It gave Clark, Perry, Lois, and Jimmy a threat outside of Lex and Nuclear Man. The movie just didn’t do much with it.

Giving Clark a romance with Lacy was a nice idea. Here is someone who loves Clark instead of Superman. It reminded me of the character of Mayson Drake from Lois and Clark season 2. She was attracted to Clark but hated Superman.
The double date scene was fun, with Clark/Superman coming up with reasons why the two of them could never be in the same room together.

I also liked that we saw Superman saving people throughout the movie. He saved the astronauts, the subway, the people on the Great Wall, the people about to be crushed by the Statue of Liberty, the people around the Daily Planet building as Nuclear Man attacked, etc.

Can I say how happy I was that Lex didn’t have another land scheme here? Instead he wants to make money by pushing for more nuclear weapons after Superman gets rid of them all. I also liked Lenny. If Lex is going to have an annoying servant around at least it’s Jon Cryer.

On to the bad stuff. The special effects were so bad. The special effects in the original Superman movie may not hold up completely now, but they still look really good and made you believe a man can fly. The special effects here make you believe a man can be hung on some wires and shoved around, maybe. The flying in space scenes were probably the worst.

That super kiss. I hated the amnesia kiss in Superman II and I hated it here. I was happy that Lois said she remembered and then Clark went and kissed her again. I believe that Lois still remembered after that but kept it to herself.

While I like the idea of the Daily Planet being taken over, nothing is done with it. We don’t really see how the Planet is worse off now than it was before. Yes, Perry is gone but everyone else is still there.

I disliked Superman “dying” the same way. He gets clawed by Nuclear Man, gets sick, and then immediately cures himself in the span of 10 minutes or less. There wasn’t time to really understand how bad the situation was. It would have been like if in Spider-Man 2 Peter quit being Spider-Man and then only a few scenes go by before he’s back at it. Or if in Dark Knight Rises Bruce healed from his broken back within 10 minutes. It completely undercuts the drama, which is what happened here.

Since when can people survive in space? Nuclear Man flies Lacy into space and she’s just fine. She also survives the heat of re-entry intact.

I was going to complain about Superman’s new vision power that allows him to rebuild the Great Wall of China but this film series gave Kryptonians some odd powers. Superman flies around the planet and turns back time. His S-shield randomly turned into a flimsy weapon. Zod, Ursa, and Non have weird finger powers. If I accepted those, I can accept wall rebuilding vision.

The movie feels thin, which at just under 1 hour 30 minutes is no surprise. There’s just not much to it. It doesn’t have the same epic feel that Superman and Superman II had.

The DVD came with 30 minutes of deleted scenes and while I think most of them needed to be deleted (the first Nuclear Man was truly an abomination) there were a few I thought could have made the movie slightly better.

One scene saw Clark having a nightmare about the destruction of Krypton. This would have tied in nicely with his fears about Earth facing similar destruction due to nuclear weapons. Another deleted scene showed a deteriorating Clark in his apartment after Lois visited him. This would have been nice to show just how bad things are getting for our hero.

Another scene shows Lex going to both the Americans and the Russians and sowing fear about nuclear disarmament. He says they can’t be 100% positive Superman destroyed all the nuclear missiles. He’s sure that both sides kept a few back, just in case. It’s a good scene that shows that neither side got rid of all their weapons, and it also shows just how devious Lex can be.

There are a few that feature Nuclear Man. Two show him causing more destruction in his first fight with Superman. The next shows that he plans to start a nuclear war so he, and presumably Lacy, will be the only people alive. This leads to both America and the Soviet Union getting ready to launch weapons at each other.

It also explains something that bothered me. In the movie Nuclear Man sees a photo of Lacy and goes to the Daily Planet to kidnap her. Superman is already there and tells NM he can’t have Lacy. It bugged me to no end because how did Superman know who NM wanted? In the deleted scenes she gets kidnapped and taken to Lex’s penthouse and then rescued by Superman, which causes NM to go to the Daily Planet to find her again.

During Superman’s final speech we see scenes of people going about their lives and it made the speech that much better since Superman is talking about how he wishes we could see the planet the way he does. There’s also a scene that brings closure to Lacy’s character and her relationship with Clark while also showing what might happen to the Kent farm.

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace is by no means a good film and I completely understand why a lot of people hate it. I’m sure I would have to had I watched it when it was first released, and not many years later when there have been more Superman movies, TV shows, cartoons, and books. This isn’t a movie I’d just pick up and watch for fun but it’s also not a movie I would dread watching during a marathon either.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

I saw the first Superman movie and thought it was pretty bland, especially their interpretation of Krypton. I may have seen the second one, but I never got further than that.

This past weekend, I watched an independent film called Russian Doll, which was a Kickstarter project that I supported (the producers are friends of Nonny). It was an interesting film, with an anticlimactic ending-- technically, two anticlimactic endings-- but it was enjoyable. The focus of the story was really on the life of the lead detective and the crime investigation was more or less there to illuminate that. Still, for a mystery film, the ending was very odd. I wish that the DVD had some extras so that I could know what the writer was thinking, but this backer's copy had nothing but the movie.  Maybe future editions will.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Alien: Covenant

The best thing I can say about this movie is that it made me want to watch Alien and Aliens again. It's not a bad movie and there are things I liked but it didn't really come together.

The movie takes place ten years after Prometheus. A colony ship is struck by disaster on its way to a new planet. The crew is awakened to fix the ship though some die in the disaster (including the captain). They pick up a transmission sent by a human and trace it to a planet that is a few weeks away. The planet seems like a perfect planet to start their colony so they go there. Once there they find David, the android from Prometheus and everything goes to Hell.

Part of the problem is that I didn't care for the characters. There are a lot of them and most of them exist solely to die. The few that get any development still didn't do anything for me. The movie seems to set up some threads that don't go anywhere. The second in command who becomes captain is religious which was apparently a sore point for the company and he has tension with the crew because they don't respect him like the first captain but they don't do anything with that information once it's been set up.

The characters are also stupid, like Prometheus level of stupid. One character, who has discovered that David is completely psychotic and someone who wants to kill the humans and he still follows David to a closed off section of the temple they are in and walks right up to an egg that opens up and launches a face-hugger. I wanted to yell at my TV because it was such a stupid thing to do.

There also isn't much suspense. There are plenty of alien attacks but I never felt the same kind of dread that I did with the original. Part of that is because I really didn't care if any of the characters died.

David is a good villain. I really wanted to see him get what's coming to him and unfortunately he doesn't. He survives to continue his quest to create the perfect species, which is the xenomorph. He also wants to see humanity destroyed.

I didn't think I would find myself saying this, but I prefer Prometheus to this movie. For all its flaws, I felt that was the stronger movie.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

Sea Change

Stop me if this sounds familiar. A young teen girl has to move to a new town to live with a parent she doesn’t know. Once there she meets two attractive young men who are both into her. One or both of those young men might be supernatural creatures.

This Lifetime movie based on a bestselling YA novel definitely exists in the post-Twilight world. Surprisingly, it is better than I was expecting though not without flaws.

Miranda has lived with her dad all her life. She has never even really known her mother. Unfortunately, her dad dies suddenly and Miranda has to go live with her mother, Amelia, on a small island off the coast of Maine.

Once there she discovers that there are two sides to the island. There are the heirs: the rich men and women and their children who summer on the island, and the townies: the people who live on the island year round. The two sides aren’t supposed to mix.

Miranda catches the eye of two young men. The first is TJ, who is an heir but he isn’t anywhere near as conceited as his friends. He sympathizes with Miranda because he lost his mother a few years back.

The second young man is Leo, a townie who likes to walk around with his shirt off a lot. (Not that I’m complaining). Leo is more mysterious. When Miranda first meets him she sees what appear to be horizontal slashes across his abdomen but the next time she sees him they are gone. Later, when she is drowning he saves her and she notices that his eyes are glowing and he doesn’t look quite human.

Yes, the hot supernatural creatures in this YA film are mer-people, here known as Seawalkers. I wish I could tell you more about them but the movie doesn’t delve into their mythology all that much. We know they can exist on land until something calls them back to the ocean. If they don’t answer that call they essentially drown on dry land, unless they steal the breath from a normal person. They can also create fog or at least cause it to move in-land. It wasn’t very clear. Oh, and several of them murder a woman at the start of the movie. They apparently had very good reasons for why this woman needed to die but we never learn what those reasons are.

The cast is what really helps make this film better than it has any right to be. Emily Rudd portrays Miranda, and she gives the character a quiet strength. Miranda isn’t sitting around being depressed over which hot guy to pick. She is very pro-active, which was appreciated. She has no desire to be part of a love triangle of any kind. Instead she is trying to find out the mystery of the Seawalkers.

Keenan Tracey plays TJ, and does well with the part. I recognize him from his stint on The 100, as well as various SyFy Channel movies. On paper TJ could come across like a jerk. He flirts with Miranda the first time he sees her and then we learn he has a girlfriend. He would be an easy character to hate if it wasn’t for the actor’s portrayal.

Skyler Maxon is pretty good as Leo. There’s just isn’t much to the part. He basically has to be mysterious and hot for most of the movie. It doesn’t help that, because the mythology is so vague, we don’t understand his motivations. He wants to protect Miranda and thinks she can save his people but not all of the Seawalkers agree. We aren’t really told why he believes that Miranda is special. Still, Skyler makes for a good mysterious hot guy. It helps that unlike Edward and several other mysterious supernatural love interests in other YA properties he isn’t an unlikeable jerk who comes across as someone who beats their loved one and then apologizes later only to do it again. He does care for Miranda and warns her away because his people might harm her.

Colin Ferguson has a small role as TJ’s father who seemingly knows about the Seawalkers and what they are up to. I was happy to see him since I am in the process of watching Eureka. It just sucks his part was so small.

The location helps a lot as well. It was apparently filmed on Oak Island in Nova Scotia and it is simply beautiful. The director takes advantage of the setting and makes the movie look haunting and beautiful if that makes sense.

The love triangle stuff was handled better than I was expecting. Miranda does seem to like TJ, but she never goes crazy over him. She always seemed more drawn to Leo and did her best not to lead TJ on. She even point blank tells TJ that she isn’t going to go out with him any time soon.

All that being said, this is a Lifetime TV movie based on a YA book. There’s not a huge budget so we never get a good look at the Seawalkers. There are also a couple of fight scenes that were pretty lame.

From what I’ve read, the hope was that this movie would lead into a TV series or a few sequels. That didn’t happen, and it hurts this movie. For instance, a lot of characters are introduced that aren’t fleshed out all that well and left me wondering why they were in the movie in the first place.

As I wrote above, the mythology is pretty neglected as well. We are led to believe that Miranda has some kind of connection to the Seawalkers and might be able to save them but we aren’t told what that connection is or what she would be saving them from.

The movie ends rather abruptly. Leo is injured so Miranda gets him to the ocean so he can heal. He changes into his Seawalker self and apparently loses control and attacks Miranda. Her mother comes to the rescue and drives Leo off with a spear. Mother and daughter are left hugging each other in the ocean as the camera pulls back. The end.

All in all, Sea Change was a decent movie. If I used a scoring system I’d give it either a very arbitrary 5 or 6 out of 10. It has a likeable cast, a decent plot, great location, and the start of a good mythology. It loses points for being at times a predictable YA adaptation, not being clear with some of the mythology, introducing too many superfluous characters, and the abrupt ending. A complete movie this is not. Still, if you’re a fan of supernatural YA romance I’d suggest checking this movie out.

The Curse of Robert the Doll

I had seen DVDs for this Robert the Doll series in stores but never bothered to watch it because it looked like a cheap rip-off of Child’s Play and Annabelle. Well, I was browsing Amazon Prime and saw that there are now four movies in this series. I figured since it was free (well, I pay for Amazon Prime but you know what I mean) that I might as well give the series a chance. I wasn’t expecting Child’s Play level of fun and frights but thought it might be on the same level as the Puppet Master movies. I was hoping for a fun B-movie. I didn’t get it. The movie wasn’t even on Puppet Master levels, and I’m including some of the terrible PM entries in that statement.

I will say that I started with the second movie (I didn’t realize it was the second film in the series until after I started watching it) but that doesn’t change anything. Even if I had watched the first movie before this one this would still be a bad movie.

Before I get to why this movie was bad, let me give a brief synopsis. Robert is a doll that, in the first movie, killed a kid’s father and nanny. The kid was blamed for the murders and locked up. The mother was placed in an asylum for insisting that the doll was really the murderer. A man who runs a tourist trap museum bribes a police officer to give him the doll from police lock-up. He intends to make it an exhibit in his museum.

Emily is a college student who gets a job at the museum as a cleaner on the night shift. She works alongside another cleaner and two security guards, one of whom, Kevin, she fancies. As Emily works she starts to notice odd things happening in the vicinity of Robert, but no one takes her seriously. Then the bodies start to pile up.

Oh, there is a lot wrong here. Part of the problem is the micro-budget. The movie just doesn’t have the money to pull off a killer doll movie. Robert is stationary for most of the movie and when he does pop up to kill someone it is usually rather quick and the camera cuts away. Towards the end of the film though Robert moves around a lot more and it just looks ridiculous. In one instance Robert is trying to kill Emily and she is wrestling with him and it is obvious that she is just holding the doll and shaking it to make it look like Robert is moving.

The kills are rather tame as well. One person gets strangled and the rest are stabbed but it is all very amateurish. I don’t like gruesome and gory deaths like I did when I was younger but in a film about an evil doll that comes to life and kills people the deaths need to be better.

There really isn’t any suspense, either. I will give the movie some credit because there were two jump scares that got me.

I know this is shallow, but one of the reasons I even finished the movie, apart from morbid curiosity, is that the actor playing Kevin is very attractive and has a sexy accent. What? I’m only human.

The sad thing is that the movie did have some potential. The museum setting was okay. Granted, the museum is supposed to be rather large and all we see are the same four of five hallways and exhibits but it is a maze-like, claustrophobic environment that is perfect for a killer doll to stalk his prey in. The director just never uses it to its full potential.

The cast is okay. Emily and Kevin are the only ones with any real amount of screen time and they do a fine job. The movie does try and give them a little bit of back story so we care more about them.

The movie leaves it wide open for a sequel. Well, two prequels anyways where Robert fights Nazis just like with the Puppet Master series. Robert ends up with the Toymaker, an old man with a shop full of dolls that all come to life. Oh, the Toymaker. He has to have some of the worst old man make-up I have ever seen. It looks like candle wax melted on his face and just got stuck there.

To stick with my grading scale I would generously give this movie 2 out of 10 with one point being added due to the hotness of Kevin. I was hoping for a nice B-movie or at least a so bad it’s good movie but alas that isn’t what I ended up with. Who am I to judge though? The movies are popular enough to warrant four of them so far and they have apparently sold well on the DVD market.

Jurassic Predator

This seemed like it could be a decent low budget monster flick. To the credit of the film, there were a few likeable things in the movie. Overall though it wasn’t worth my time.

In an odd twist this movie was made by the same production company that makes the Robert the Doll films. Not only that, but it shares the same director and some of the same actors with the evil doll films. Apparently they have done a lot of micro-budget horror movies.

Thankfully, one of those actors is the cutie who played Kevin in the Curse of Robert the Doll and the film has him practically naked in a scene towards the beginning. Unfortunately they kill him off rather quickly.

To summarize, a UK based company creates a T-Rex that gets loose and is hunting in some woods near a small village. A shadowy government agent recruits a small team of mercenaries to hunt and kill the dinosaur before it starts eating people.

One of the things this film has going for it is a tongue-in-cheek approach to the material. The film does more or less embrace the fact that it is a bad, low budget production. In a very meta scene, a group of people are filming a low budget horror film in the woods where the T-Rex is. One of the actresses complains that the monster looks terrible and the director responds that it is a low budget movie and so expectations have to be lowered. Right after that the crew is killed by the dinosaur.

The mercenaries are entertaining. The acting skill varies but it is a decent mix of eclectic, cliché personalities. The problem is most of them are killed off fairly quickly and we are left with just two survivors who spend way too much time sitting in a farmhouse talking.

The T-Rex doesn’t look too bad. It is obviously a rubber and foam creature but it looks better than a lot of low budget CGI monsters. It also moves more believably than Robert the Doll.

That ends the “what did the movie do right” portion of the review. Here comes “what the movie did wrong” portion.

The movie is definitely padded. About three minutes are spent watching one of the mercenaries perform with his band. The end credits take up about 12 minutes.
It also takes way too long to get the mercenaries into the woods with the T-Rex. Then, once they are there they are killed off fairly quickly, mostly off-screen, and then as I wrote above we are stuck with two characters sitting in a farm house.

There is also precious little T-Rex action. The puppet is obviously limited in what it can do so we mostly get close ups of its head as it roars and once or twice we see it swipe a claw at one of the characters.

Oh, and there is a scene early on when the main mercenary is delivering this supposedly stirring speech to his men. The problem is that the actor is so quiet and the rousing speech movie music so loud that half of what he was saying was drowned out.

It really is too bad. The ingredients were there for a respectable B-movie but they didn’t come together. If it had more of a budget I think this would have gone from bad to so bad its good territory.

I’d score this movie 4 out of 10. I’m adding a point for the attractive basically naked actor which makes me a bad person, I know. I also added a point because the movie at least acknowledges that it is a campy B-movie. It is just too bad it falls short of being a good campy B-movie.

Maybe I’ll find a good campy B-movie soon to scratch that itch.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 14 June 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

Sea Change

Miranda has lived with her dad all her life. She has never even really known her mother. Unfortunately, her dad dies suddenly and Miranda has to go live with her mother, Amelia, on a small island off the coast of Maine.  

I wonder if naming the main character Miranda was a coincidence or intentional.  Perhaps the reason that the Mer-guy thinks she can save his people is that she is a Mer-person herself.

The Curse of Robert the Doll

I had seen DVDs for this Robert the Doll series in stores but never bothered to watch it because it looked like a cheap rip-off of Child’s Play and Annabelle.  

Not only have I never heard of Robert the Doll, but I've never heard of Annabelle.  :lol:

The movie wasn’t even on Puppet Master levels,

I don't think I've heard of that either.  :lol:

I know this is shallow, but one of the reasons I even finished the movie, apart from morbid curiosity, is that the actor playing Kevin is very attractive and has a sexy accent. What? I’m only human.  

Personally, I think this is a great reason to like a B-Movie. It's supposed to be entertainment, after all. :D

The museum setting was okay. Granted, the museum is supposed to be rather large and all we see are the same four of five hallways and exhibits but it is a maze-like, claustrophobic environment that is perfect for a killer doll to stalk his prey in. The director just never uses it to its full potential.  

That does sound like it has a lot of potential for atmosphere.

Jurassic Predator

It really is too bad. The ingredients were there for a respectable B-movie but they didn’t come together. If it had more of a budget I think this would have gone from bad to so bad its good territory.  

This sounds like the one I'd like best out of the three.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Not only have I never heard of Robert the Doll, but I've never heard of Annabelle.  :lol:

I can understand not knowing about Robert the Doll but I am surprised about Annabelle. That killer doll/demon has two of her own movies and was a spin-off of another movie.

I don't think I've heard of that either.  :lol:

That one is more understandable. They were direct to VHS (and then DVD) horror movies starting in the late 80s. There are ten or twelve movies in the franchise at this point.

That does sound like it has a lot of potential for atmosphere.

It did. I would like to see what they could do with the concept with a bigger budget.

This sounds like the one I'd like best out of the three.

The only way I'd recommend it if it was on one of the streaming services you pay for and if you watch it with some friends who can make fun of it with you. Sometimes that is the best way to watch these films. I know I had a hoot when I was with some friends and we watched Ninjas Vs Aliens on Netflix.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:00 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 June 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

I can understand not knowing about Robert the Doll but I am surprised about Annabelle. That killer doll/demon has two of her own movies and was a spin-off of another movie.  
I Googled and discovered that the Annabelle movies are based on an actual allegedly haunted doll.

The only way I'd recommend it if it was on one of the streaming services you pay for and if you watch it with some friends who can make fun of it with you. Sometimes that is the best way to watch these films.  
Oh, yeah, I love that.  I even do that with my Mother when we watch old TV shows on Saturday mornings.

I know I had a hoot when I was with some friends and we watched Ninjas Vs Aliens on Netflix.  
Ninjas vs. Aliens-- something else to look for.  :D

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

I Googled and discovered that the Annabelle movies are based on an actual allegedly haunted doll.

So is Robert the Doll, funnily enough. Both movies exaggerate their haunted dolls quite a bit, and changed their looks as well.

Ninjas vs. Aliens-- something else to look for.  :D

It is definitely one of this so bad it is good type of movies.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 05 July 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

So is Robert the Doll, funnily enough. Both movies exaggerate their haunted dolls quite a bit, and changed their looks as well.  
Ah, interesting. I didn't realize there were so many haunted dolls in the world.  :D

It is definitely one of this so bad it is good type of movies.  
My favorite kind.

#10 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:09 PM

Dragonheart: Vengeance

This is the 5th movie in the Dragonheart series and I’d say it is probably my favorite of the sequels, beating out Dragonheart 3: The Sorcerer’s Curse.
You don’t need to have watched the other movies in the series to enjoy this one. It is essentially a spin-off of the third and fourth movies set in another location and featuring none of the characters from those films. It focuses on one of the seven dragons that Drago brought to Earth in the 3rd film.

The plot focuses on Lukas, a young farmer who sees his parents murdered by four vicious raiders. He wants vengeance so he sets off for the city to get aid. When the king turns him away he hires a sell-sword named Darius. However, Darius gets incapacitated for a bit so Lukas decides to try and find the dragon that the townspeople whisper about.

He discovers an ice dragon named Siveth. She has been living in exile for 20 years. At first she refuses to help him but something about his plight moves her and she acquiesces. Those two, later joined by Darius, go on a quest to find the four raiders and put an end to their murderous rampages.

What really stood out to me about this movie were the characters. Our three main leads are fleshed out and have personalities. I truly came to like and care for them by the end of the movie.

Lukas is a sweet natured young man who wants to do the right thing but is also torn by his feelings of anger. He is also more or less the straight man to the comedic duo of Darius and Siveth. Even though he wants revenge he isn’t a brooding, angst-y teen. He is just a really likeable young man.

Darius is just a fun character. He is an oddball that likes jewelry and putting flowers in his hair. He can apparently talk to animals though the movie leaves it ambiguous at first whether he actually can talk to animals or if he is just a tad bit crazy. He is an amazing fighter and though he gets upset at Lukas several times throughout the movie he always has the lad’s back. He also has a sad back story of his own. His parents were killed when he was a young boy and he was denied vengeance when he went to ask Siveth for help and she refused. He is something like the devil on Lukas’s shoulder because he genuinely believes that if Lukas kills the raiders he will feel better.

Siveth (voiced by Helena Bonham Carter) is an ice dragon that was exiled by the king 20 years ago when she refused to share her heart with him when he was grievously wounded. She has holed up in a cave ever since then, occasionally helping people that come to her. She is more the angel on Lukas’s shoulder, telling him that vengeance will only blacken his soul.

These three really carry the film and I loved their interactions with one another. Darius and Siveth basically become surrogate parents for Lukas.

I also really liked the villains. They aren’t particularly fleshed out but I like their designs and they are effective villains. They go by animal code-names so you have Snake, Wolf, Scorpion, and Bear. They each headed in different directions after killing Lukas’s parents so the team has to hunt them down one by one.

There is a surprising amount of dragon action in this movie. The other films contrived a way to keep the dragons off screen and/or powerless. I thought this movie was headed in that direction when it is revealed that Siveth has the power to turn into any animal. While she does utilize that power she is also in dragon form quite a bit. She also takes part in a lot of the action. I was happy about that.

The movie is also pretty funny. I loved the scene where Lukas tries to court a girl he likes named Oana. Siveth is hidden outside her house and is trying to tell Lukas what to say. She has only courted dragons though and so has Lukas say things about Oana’s smell and that he wants to perform jaw-lock with her.

This is a good feel good movie that left me content when it was over. I would love to see these characters again but their journey is more or less complete. There is talk of doing a sixth movie but I doubt it will feature these characters if the other sequels are any indication.

The movie is on Netflix so I recommend checking it out.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#11 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:26 AM

Posted Image

Josh Kirby: Time Warrior! Chapter 1 – Planet of the Dino Knights

I stumbled across this movie on the streaming service Tubi and it hit me with the nostalgia feels. Josh Kirby: Time Warrior! was a series of six straight to video movies back in the mid-90s. It was produced by Moonbeam Entertainment, a spin-off label from Full Moon Entertainment that released a ton of straight to video movies. You might recognize some of their movies (the Puppet Master series, Demonic Toys, Subspecies, Ginderdead Man, etc.). I never saw the entire Josh Kirby series. I only managed to watch the first movie in full and catch some snippets of some of the other movies. It was a series that I always wanted to see in its entirety but eventually I forgot about it. I can now fulfill the desire of my younger self to watch this film series.

The plot sees the titular Josh Kirby discover a piece of a device called the Nullifier in his yard. Soon after his discovery two men from the future show up to claim the piece as their own. One is Irwin 1138, an older gentleman with a time pod. The other is Dr. Zoetrope, a man with time armor. Josh accidentally teleports into Irwin’s time pod thanks to a small creature called Prism. He learns that Irwin and Zoetrope are from the 25th century. The Nullifier is an artifact that humanity discovered and learned that it has the power to completely destroy the universe. Zoetrope, already unhinged, went mad when the Nullifier was taken from him. Irwin found a way to break the Nullifier into six parts and spread them throughout time. Unfortunately Zoetrope learned what he was doing and is now hunting the pieces down. It is up to Irwin, and now Josh, to stop him and save the universe.

The overall plot isn’t bad. Having an almighty Mcguffin that is broken into pieces and scattered throughout time gives the main characters a decent quest and a reason to continue their journey through six films. Not only that, but it is revealed that Zoetrope’s time travel shenanigans have broken history leading to things like dinosaurs being present in England in the year 1250 or Josh’s home in 1994 being a volcanic wasteland. That also explains why Irwin doesn’t just drop Josh back off in his own time period.

The main plot of this movie sees the time travelers land in England in 1250 only to discover that dinosaurs are still around. Not only that, but Zoetrope has allied himself with the tyrannical Lord Henry and used his technology to place a T-rex under Henry’s control, allowing him to overthrow his older brother Lord William.

Honestly, I ended up liking this more than I thought I would. Some of that is nostalgia to be sure but this is actually one of the better films Full Moon/Moonbeam has released. Well, as far as I remember. It has been a long time since I’ve watched any of the Full Moon films. It is obviously low budget but the cast is decent, the effects aren’t terrible considering when the movie was made, there are some genuinely funny moments, and the movie moves at a brisk pace and has few dull moments.

It isn’t all good. From what I’ve read this wasn’t supposed to be the first movie in the series but for some reason the powers that be decided to release it first and make only the bare minimum of changes for the plot to be understood. This leads to several problems, most of which revolve around the character Azabeth Siege.

Azabeth is introduced after Irwin and Josh crash land in England. She is apparently from another time period and mistakenly believed that Josh and Irwin were responsible for her being transported there. It is a quick scene that doesn’t tell us anything about Azabeth or where she is from. A few minutes later she is kidnapped and becomes the prisoner of Lord Henry.

Mind you, it seems as if Azabeth has only known Josh and Irwin for a very short matter of time but the way the rest of the movie plays out viewers are made to believe she has traveled with them for some time. For starters she has this fancy future watch on (that Josh is also wearing) yet we don’t know what it is or when she was given it. She clearly knows a lot about Josh and Irwin.

There is a scene where Zoetrope visits her in the dungeon and Azabeth asks how he turned Prism against them. First of all, Azabeth saw Prism once in this movie so it’s weird how she seems to know him. Secondly, this is the first that we have learned that Zoetrope managed to turn the cute little creature against his friends. See, Prism is a teleporting alien who also acts like a bloodhound when it comes to finding the Nullifier pieces.

It makes for a disjointed movie and does the character of Azabeth a disservice which sucks because from what I saw here she is pretty cool. She is a warrior woman from the future (I guess) and follows something called the Code of Kang. She has no desire to be Lord Henry’s plaything and expresses some good feminist attitudes.

Josh is a good character. Corbin Allred is a decent actor and makes for a likeable lead. Josh is more or less your average 14 year old though he is a fairly intelligent young man. His main characteristic is that he loves his bike and races to school every day trying to set a new record. He also apparently can’t wear watches because they always quit working after a day or two. However a stop watch he wears around his neck works just fine.

Irwin is okay though he takes a back seat as the movie progresses. Like Josh he is likeable and played by a competent actor. He has good chemistry with Josh and gets a couple of good one-liners.

Zoetrope is a decent villain. His time armor looks pretty good and is powerful. He is definitely a campy villain and his outfit that he wears as the court magician is hilarious and kind of cool. He is so far a one note villain in that he is apparently just insane and wants to end the universe.

The supporting characters aren’t bad. Lord Henry is a fun villain and the actor chews the scenery like no one’s business. Lord William is the tortured hero type who has given up since his younger brother has a large army and a giant dinosaur at his command. The few peasant characters are okay with the actors ranging from bad to decent.

The special effects are not bad considering when this was made and the likely budget. The dinosaurs (a T-rex and triceratops) are mainly stop motion animation with close-ups using larger puppets. The dinosaurs don’t get a lot of screen time but I appreciated what we did see. For the shots of the time pod in the time vortex CGI is used. The CGI hasn’t aged well but it seems to fit the tone of the movie, if that makes sense.

Some of the action scenes are clunky. When Irwin and Zoetrope first land in 1994 they engage in a laser gun battle. Irwin has a cane that he can split in two with the top half containing a laser gun and the bottom half acting as a laser blast deflector thingie. I don’t know. The two men are literally just a few feet apart and take turns firing at each other. Irwin’s blasts just bounce off of Zoetrope’s armor and Zoetrope’s blasts are blocked by Irwin’s cane. It is about as boring of an action scene as you can get.

The movie ends on a cliffhanger as Henry decides to have Azabeth executed in the morning and the villagers decide to stage an attack on the castle now since Josh found them the triceratops that they can use to fight the T-rex.

All in all, this was better than I was expecting. The acting from the main characters is quite good. The story, though disjointed, is pretty interesting.  The special effects aren’t great but I found them charming. Now, this will definitely not be a movie for everyone. Honestly if there wasn’t a nostalgia factor for me I might not like this movie. Still, if you like cheesy, low budget B-movies you could do worse.

Now, prepare for the storm. (What Irwin says before he launches the time pod into the time vortex).

Edited by Virgil Vox, 18 April 2020 - 11:26 AM.

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,100 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 12:44 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 18 April 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

The plot sees the titular Josh Kirby discover a piece of a device called the Nullifier in his yard.

Kirby? Nullifier? Someone's a Marvel fan.

The overall plot isn’t bad. Having an almighty Mcguffin that is broken into pieces and scattered throughout time gives the main characters a decent quest and a reason to continue their journey through six films.

And a Doctor Who fan too, perhaps, since that's the plot of the Key to Time season. It resembles the Infinity Gauntlet too, but that doesn't have the time-travel angle.

The main plot of this movie sees the time travelers land in England in 1250 only to discover that dinosaurs are still around. Not only that, but Zoetrope has allied himself with the tyrannical Lord Henry and used his technology to place a T-rex under Henry’s control, allowing him to overthrow his older brother Lord William.

That's odd, given that in 1250, England was under the strongly centralized rule of King Henry III. If any English noble at the time were seeking to overthrow someone, it'd be the king, most likely.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:08 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 18 April 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

It was a series that I always wanted to see in its entirety but eventually I forgot about it. I can now fulfill the desire of my younger self to watch this film series.

Ah, the Internet has allowed me to fulfill a number of youthful desires.  Still a few to go, though.  :lol:

The plot sees the titular Josh Kirby discover a piece of a device called the Nullifier in his yard.  

Kirby, the Ultimate Nullifier, and Kang-- I'm interested to see if the visual designs also owe anything to Jack Kirby.

Irwin found a way to break the Nullifier into six parts and spread them throughout time.  

That trick never works.  Why don't these people just drop these things into the sun or something?

Not only that, but it is revealed that Zoetrope’s time travel shenanigans have broken history leading to things like dinosaurs being present in England in the year 1250  

Apparently the writer is not a big fan of the Butterfly Effect-- or knows that it's unlikely humans would have evolved if dinos had not gone extinct.

Josh is more or less your average 14 year old

Damn, it's for kids.  I was starting to get into it.

The movie ends on a cliffhanger  

Hmm. Six two-hour episodes.  That could be a TV series in the 21st century.  :D

Now, prepare for the storm. (What Irwin says before he launches the time pod into the time vortex).  
I hope the rest of the series doesn't disappoint.

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,100 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 19 April 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

Not only that, but it is revealed that Zoetrope’s time travel shenanigans have broken history leading to things like dinosaurs being present in England in the year 1250  

Apparently the writer is not a big fan of the Butterfly Effect-- or knows that it's unlikely humans would have evolved if dinos had not gone extinct.

I haven't seen it, but my impression is that it's more like the dinosaurs (among other things) were displaced from their proper time, like the Anachronisms in Legends of Tomorrow.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:35 PM

And a Doctor Who fan too, perhaps, since that's the plot of the Key to Time season. It resembles the Infinity Gauntlet too, but that doesn't have the time-travel angle.

From what little I know about the Key to Time season it does seem to follow the same basic set-up. It's a little like the Infinity Gauntlet though the individual parts of the Nullifier have no power by themselves.

That's odd, given that in 1250, England was under the strongly centralized rule of King Henry III. If any English noble at the time were seeking to overthrow someone, it'd be the king, most likely.

I guess I should have gone into more detail. William and Henry control a small fiefdom basically, not the entire kingdom. I believe there was a mention of the king having left the kingdom which also enabled Henry's rise to power. I thought it had shades of Robin Hood's plot.

Kirby, the Ultimate Nullifier, and Kang-- I'm interested to see if the visual designs also owe anything to Jack Kirby.

Not that I'm aware of but I haven't watched the entire series yet nor am I familiar with everything Jack Kirby created.

That trick never works.  Why don't these people just drop these things into the sun or something?

Well, to be fair, breaking it up into six pieces and launching them through time seemed like a good strategy. Irwin just didn't count on Zoetrope barging in and wrecking everything.

What Christopher said. It isn't that dinosaurs continued to exist. It is that these two specific dinosaurs were transported to this time period. The locals don't know that they are dinosaurs. They believe that they are dragons.

Damn, it's for kids.  I was starting to get into it.

You might still like it. The movie is free on Tubi. You don't even have to have an account to watch it. Here is a promotional video for the series that gives you a look at every movie. That might let you know if this is the movie for you. It was actually this trailer that made me want to watch this series way back in the 90s.

I hope the rest of the series doesn't disappoint.

Thanks. I hope they don't either. I'm watching the second one tonight so we will see.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,100 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:42 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 19 April 2020 - 07:35 PM, said:

I guess I should have gone into more detail. William and Henry control a small fiefdom basically, not the entire kingdom. I believe there was a mention of the king having left the kingdom which also enabled Henry's rise to power.

That never happened. Henry III wasn't able to join the Crusades because of political considerations. He started organizing a crusade of his own around 1250, but wasn't able to leave because of an uprising in Gascony.

But then, maybe this is an altered history?

Facebook Author Page

#17 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:56 AM

Josh Kirby: Time Warrior! Chapter 2 – The Human Pets

After watching this movie I wished that the producers had kept the stories in their original order instead of putting the Dino Knights story first.

It is clear that The Human Pets was supposed to be the first movie and that it fits better with the first half of the first movie. It introduces Azabeth and sets up Zoetrope brainwashing Prism which was a major plot point in the first movie.

The first half of this movie deals with wrapping up the plot started in the last movie. Josh, Irwin, and their allies launch an attack on the castle to save Azabeth and defeat the evil Lord Henry. Once they win, Irwin finds another piece of the Nullifier and our heroes prepare to leave in the time pod. They are attacked by Zoetrope and then somehow end up far in the future.

They are immediately grabbed by a giant. It turns out that the giant is a child and he has grabbed the humans to be his action figures, basically. He already has several others. They are all time displaced humans. One is a Wild West cowboy, another is a 1920s German fighter pilot, another is a Musketeer, and the last is a Viking. The giant child makes them fight each other for their amusement. The tiny humans must band together to discover a way to escape.

I’ll talk about the Dino Knights segment first. It is pretty enjoyable. Most of it is composed of a battle between the villagers and the evil knights so you can’t really go wrong with that. The battle scene is decent. They obviously didn’t have a lot of budget to do an epic battle but it was better than I expected though there are some rough edits in there. We do at least get to see Azabeth kick butt.

Josh gets in on the action as well. William trained him in sword fighting before the battle. Granted, one training session isn’t going to realistically make Josh a badass sword fighter but I appreciated that the movie at least attempted to show that Josh did get some training. Plus, William says that Josh has a natural talent for sword fighting. William then gives Josh his family sword and just by coincidence it is called Savior of the Realm and Josh is helping to save the realm.

I loved the moment when Irwin enters the battle because he just starts shooting everyone with his laser cane. Total badass.

The movie also doesn’t skimp when it comes to the dino vs. dino battle. Lord Henry rides the T-rex while Lord William rides the triceratops. It is all stop motion animated with close-up shots of the actors swinging their swords. Look, it’s not Harryhausen quality but I applaud the effort to show the dinosaur fight and again, it has a certain B-movie charm to it.

I also appreciated the attempt at fleshing out the characters. Azabeth gets the most attention in this segment as she is able to connect with Lady Jennifer, Henry’s concubine. Azabeth makes Jennifer see that she is a slave and that as soon as Henry finds a woman he likes better Jennifer will be tossed aside or fed to the dinosaur. Jennifer decides to help the good guys and takes a message to them about Azabeth’s execution. She also throws a ladder over the castle wall to help some of the villagers sneak inside.

I liked the moment when the guards come to get Azabeth from the dungeon before she is to be executed. She is clearly upset and fighting back tears but she puts on a brave face. It humanizes her and shows that she isn’t just a stock warrior woman.

The movie even attempts to make Henry slightly sympathetic by showing that his hatred for his older brother comes from feelings of jealousy and the fact that their father loved William more. It isn’t much and it literally comes about a minute or so before Henry dies but at least it is something.

Speaking of his death, the movie doesn’t really glorify it. William is clearly upset that his brother is dead and the villagers all wait a bit before they start celebrating.

Prism, no longer controlled by Zoetrope, knocks the evil doctor out and takes the Nullifier pieces. However, before our heroes can leave Zoetrope shows up and here it is painfully apparent that these two halves do not belong together. Zoetrope shoots off the time watch that Josh is wearing (which we learn towards the end of the movie keeps the time travelers safe in whatever time zone they are supposed to be in). The movie then cuts to a scene of Josh falling through the time stream before quickly cutting to Josh, Azabeth, Irwin, and Prism lying outside the time pod in a desert location. They are then scooped up by a giant. There is literally no sense to how the characters went from being in England in 1250 to the future with giants.

However if you can get past the bad editing and the fact that the ending segment of Part 2 is clearly supposed to be the ending segment of Part 1 there is a lot of fun to be hand.

What I liked was getting to know more about Azabeth and Josh. Azabeh reveals that she is only half human and that in her time period her people are slaves, bred to be warriors from birth for whatever full human master owns them. We still don’t learn exactly what the Code of Kang is but we are given more clues than we had in the previous movie.

Josh tells that that he is somewhat of an outcast where he comes from as well. He is picked on by bullies and the girl he has a crush on doesn’t even know he exists. Oh yeah I forgot to mention in my previous review that Josh’s crush is played by Charisma Carpenter. She barely has a role and only speaks two lines but it was fun seeing her pre-Buffy.

He also talks about all the pressure his dad puts on him so he can get good grades and get a scholarship to Harvard and Yale. Yes, both universities because Josh’s dad has really high expectations.

There’s a nice scene where Josh talks about his love of bike riding (because the alien child has a mountain bike amongst his collection) and Josh teaches Azabeth to ride.

The other time lost characters are pretty fun. There are basically just stereotypes and one note personalities but considering their limited screen time they are enjoyable and never get to the point where they would be annoying. I really liked the German pilot simply because he seemed way too into his plane. Like, he loved it the way a man loves a woman.

We are given two explanations for the giants. They are either aliens who have invaded the planet or they are evolved humans. The movie never really says either way but I’m going with aliens.

Oh, during the scene where all the people have to fight each other for the kid’s amusement Josh and Irwin pretend to kung fu fight each other and it is hilarious and hilariously cheesy.

The heroes realize that their time pod is on the kid’s table but to them it might as well be on the moon. Azabeth is the one who comes up with a way to get up there. She finds a discarded pair of the kid’s underwear (you read that right) and starts slicing it up into strips. They make it into one long rope. Prism then flies Josh up to the table so he can tie one end around the plane. Why Prism didn’t just fly Irwin up there so he could start the time pod and collect the others is anyone’s guess.

The time displaced humans decide that they will stay in the future and fly the pilot’s plane around the planet and see if they can’t locate other humans and maybe save them from the giant aliens.

Our heroes decide to leave to get more Nullifier pieces and it is here where you can tell this was supposed to lead into Planet of the Dino Knights. See, Zoetrope was also in the child’s room but he had been cocooned by a giant mutant spider. Irwin ties him to the time pod. It is here where Zoetrope brainwashes Prism, causing the cute little creature to free Zoetrope when they are in the time stream and steal the Nullifier pieces.

The movie ends with Josh somehow ending up in the time stream though he was just a second before safely inside the time pod. My guess is that when Zoetrope blasted the time watch at the end of the Dino Knights segment that was supposed to have blasted Josh into the time stream and set up the third movie. Obviously that couldn’t happen so they just randomly throw the poor kid into the time stream with no explanation.

If you can get past the obviousness of The Human Pets being set before Planet of the Dino Knights then this is a fun second installment in the Josh Kirby series. The conclusion of the Dino Knights segment is done well and the Human Pets segment is a lot of fun and entertaining. I’m looking forward to the third movie because AFAIK there weren’t any weird edits done to it. It will be interesting to see a full Josh Kirby movie in the way it was meant to be shown.

Now, prepare for the storm!

Edited by Virgil Vox, 21 April 2020 - 11:57 AM.

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#18 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 07:19 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 19 April 2020 - 07:35 PM, said:

Not that I'm aware of but I haven't watched the entire series yet nor am I familiar with everything Jack Kirby created.  
I didn't notice anything in particular in the trailer, except maybe that big exoskeleton. Or is it a robot?  It looked like Zoetrope was inside of it.

You might still like it. The movie is free on Tubi. You don't even have to have an account to watch it. Here is a promotional video for the series that gives you a look at every movie. That might let you know if this is the movie for you. It was actually this trailer that made me want to watch this series way back in the 90s.  
Looks like we can add Harryhausen, Doctor Who, and the Muppets to the list of homages.  Those stop-motion dinosaurs are well done.  It's odd to see them and the Muppet-style creatures in the same show.  I also got a kick out of the narrator saying "It starts with chapter one," when apparently it doesn't.  :D

View PostVirgil Vox, on 21 April 2020 - 11:56 AM, said:

They are immediately grabbed by a giant. It turns out that the giant is a child and he has grabbed the humans to be his action figures, basically. He already has several others. They are all time displaced humans. One is a Wild West cowboy, another is a 1920s German fighter pilot, another is a Musketeer, and the last is a Viking.  

Add Twilight Zone to the list of homages.  :D

The movie also doesn’t skimp when it comes to the dino vs. dino battle. Lord Henry rides the T-rex while Lord William rides the triceratops. It is all stop motion animated with close-up shots of the actors swinging their swords. Look, it’s not Harryhausen quality but I applaud the effort to show the dinosaur fight and again, it has a certain B-movie charm to it.  

I love the look of stop motion. You don't see it much these days.

Speaking of his death, the movie doesn’t really glorify it. William is clearly upset that his brother is dead and the villagers all wait a bit before they start celebrating.  

That's a nice touch.

The movie then cuts to a scene of Josh falling through the time stream

Now that is really retro.  It looked like something from the world of Sid and Marty Krofft.  .  :D

The other time lost characters are pretty fun.  

Do we find out what happens to them?  Do they get to go back to their own times?

We are given two explanations for the giants. They are either aliens who have invaded the planet or they are evolved humans. The movie never really says either way but I’m going with aliens.  

I'm sure Rod Serling would go with aliens.

Why Prism didn’t just fly Irwin up there so he could start the time pod and collect the others is anyone’s guess.

The scene that explains that will be in movie #5.  :D

The time displaced humans decide that they will stay in the future and fly the pilot’s plane around the planet and see if they can’t locate other humans and maybe save them from the giant aliens.  

Ah, there's my answer.  That actually sounds like a good premise for a series in itself.

If you can get past the obviousness of The Human Pets being set before Planet of the Dino Knights then this is a fun second installment in the Josh Kirby series.  

I guess they felt the dinosaurs were a sexier way to kick off the series.

#19 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:13 AM

I didn't notice anything in particular in the trailer, except maybe that big exoskeleton. Or is it a robot?  It looked like Zoetrope was inside of it.

It is an exoskeleton that Zoetrope wears. It is his time armor.

Looks like we can add Harryhausen, Doctor Who, and the Muppets to the list of homages.  Those stop-motion dinosaurs are well done.  It's odd to see them and the Muppet-style creatures in the same show.  I also got a kick out of the narrator saying "It starts with chapter one," when apparently it doesn't.  

This series feels like it homages a lot of other movies. There is a Doctor Who vibe to the show, that's for sure.

Now that is really retro.  It looked like something from the world of Sid and Marty Krofft.  .  

You're right, it does.

I guess they felt the dinosaurs were a sexier way to kick off the series.

I'm sure that's the reason but I wish they had made a better effort to make the movies flow together and make the plot not be a giant mess.

That never happened. Henry III wasn't able to join the Crusades because of political considerations. He started organizing a crusade of his own around 1250, but wasn't able to leave because of an uprising in Gascony.

But then, maybe this is an altered history?

It is possible that it is altered history or it could just be a mistake on the part of the writers.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#20 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:13 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 23 April 2020 - 10:13 AM, said:

This series feels like it homages a lot of other movies. There is a Doctor Who vibe to the show, that's for sure.  
I think this is a good thing, by the way.  :D

I'm sure that's the reason but I wish they had made a better effort to make the movies flow together and make the plot not be a giant mess.  
Not a good way to kick off a franchise, that's for sure.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users