• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

Posted Image

Episode 1: The Amazon

British Museum curator Lady Alex Lindo-Parker travels to the Amazon in search of the lost camp of Victorian explorer Percy Fawcett. A series of mishaps sees her joined by maverick American adventurer Hooten and they stumble upon El Dorado.

Niko made me aware of this when she mentioned it in the Show Review Threads. It looks like a fun series so I thought I'd start a thread for it. I wasn't sure how many people would be watching so I figured doing one thread for the entire season would be best.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

*grin*   :)  

This caught my eye initially because the guy who plays "Hooten" (just Hooten... wtf sort of name is that? :) ) was the original Jimmy Olsen on Lois & Clark, and I've always sorta wondered what became of him.

For first impressions, I mostly said my piece over in the other thread.  I watched the first two episodes when they aired in the UK last year.  It has that "syndicated Saturday afternoon show from the '90's" vibe that can be fun, but is also has some eye-rolly-y elements that make it rather hard to take seriously for a show airing in 2017.  British-dudes-dressed-up-as-natives like something out of early Dr. Who, and not even a vague handwave towards the fact that stealing relics from foreign territories isn't exactly the "done" thing in this day and age.

But the Romancing the Stone-style bickering-couple stuff seems like it has potential to be fun, so that's why I'm checking it out, now that I can set the DVR to record the whole thing. :)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

It seems like my cup of tea, so I will try to catch it.  Pulp-style, Saturday Matinee adventure.  :whip:  Is it a period piece or contemporary?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

It's contemporary.  My eyerolls would have been much less if they'd backdated it a ways.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

I enjoyed the first episode. It's nothing we haven't seen before but it was done well. I echo everything Niko said.

This caught my eye initially because the guy who plays "Hooten" (just Hooten... wtf sort of name is that? :) ) was the original Jimmy Olsen on Lois & Clark, and I've always sorta wondered what became of him.

I honestly had no clue he was in it because I didn't look anything up about the show until the day it aired. When I saw he was in it my interest definitely raised. I always liked him as Jimmy Olsen.

But the Romancing the Stone-style bickering-couple stuff seems like it has potential to be fun, so that's why I'm checking it out, now that I can set the DVR to record the whole thing. :)

My one hope is that they don't actually get together. It would be majorly cliche. I'm hoping that since Alex has a fiance it will stick to just flirting.

Pulp-style, Saturday Matinee adventure.  :whip:

That's exactly what it reminds me of. Like Niko said, it would fit comfortably with the other late 90s/early 2000s syndicated shows. It has a similar feel to Relic Hunter, a show I'm watching on DVD right now.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

I was thinking of Relic Hunter. I liked that show, though I only got to see it sporadically.  I do prefer period pieces when it comes to this type of adventure, but I will give it a try.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Time

• Islander
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

We gave this a try last night.  :)  The timing seemed right, we have finally been working our way through Blacklist: Redemption, and needed something lighter to end the night on.  I thought some 'ridiculous adventure fluff' would do the job, and I was right!  :D

This morning my mother listed all the things it resembles:  Romancing the Stone, Crocodile Dundee, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Indiana Jones.  Yep!  :lol:  And we love all those things, so we're happy, LOL!  So basically, nothing here is original, but who cares 'cause it's fun!  :lol:  (Oh, and when we talked about the aspect of "proper lady + rugged man" we added Australia to the list.  Another of our favorites.  ;) )

View PostVirgil Vox, on 15 July 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

I honestly had no clue he was in it because I didn't look anything up about the show until the day it aired. When I saw he was in it my interest definitely raised. I always liked him as Jimmy Olsen.

He certainly makes for some nice eye candy!  ;)  And we got an extra eyeful at the end of the episode!  (Why was he naked again?  :rolleyes:  :lol:)

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

I've seen the opening sequence, still need to see the rest.  That escape on the river was very reminiscent of Raiders.  :lol:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 18 July 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

(Oh, and when we talked about the aspect of "proper lady + rugged man" we added Australia to the list.  Another of our favorites.  ;) )  
Don't forget Jack Of All Trades.  :cool:

He certainly makes for some nice eye candy!  ;)  And we got an extra eyeful at the end of the episode!  (Why was he naked again?  :rolleyes:  :lol:)
Why not?  :shrug:  :D

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Episode 2: Rome

Hooten asks Lady Alex to help him find the long lost Sibylline Books, a collection of mystical prophecies. In Rome, the museum curator quickly finds herself scaling the Sistine Chapel, battling a sewer alligator and facing the Mafia. Guest starring Jane Seymour.

I was thinking of Relic Hunter. I liked that show, though I only got to see it sporadically.  I do prefer period pieces when it comes to this type of adventure, but I will give it a try.

It's a pretty fun show. I like that in the show it's Sydney Fox who is the action hero who has a string of men she's loved and left whereas NIgel is the bumbling assistant who sucks when it comes to the opposite sex. It's also refreshing that there is no will they/they won't they between Sydney and Nigel. The two are friends and that's it. Sure, Nigel crushed on Sydney at first but dropped it pretty quickly.

Yes he does. :D

Don't forget Jack Of All Trades.  :cool:

Such a great show. I might need to pull out my DVD box set and watch a few episodes.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Time

• Islander
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 18 July 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 18 July 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Why not?  :shrug:  :D

That would seem to be the only explanation!  :lol:

Well, I got impatient and watched some more episodes off the internet.  :hehe:  I only have a few comments, but should I use spoiler tags for the ones that have not aired yet in the US?  For now I will tag them, separately per episode. :)

Ep 2:
Spoiler

Ep 3:
Spoiler

Ep 4:
Spoiler

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Time

• Islander
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 20 July 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

Episode 2: Rome

Hooten asks Lady Alex to help him find the long lost Sibylline Books, a collection of mystical prophecies. In Rome, the museum curator quickly finds herself scaling the Sistine Chapel, battling a sewer alligator and facing the Mafia. Guest starring Jane Seymour.

I paused the screen on the "sewer alligator", so my mother and I could debate on whether it was an alligator or a crocodile.  :lol:  I think we decided that a crocodile was the one more likely to be found in Italy, and the animatronic robot they used physically matched a crocodile.  But I think "indecisive alligator" must have been the funnier line!  :lol:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 20 July 2017 - 12:54 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Sounds like the format is episodic, which is a nice change of pace in this day and age. I still have to finished episode one.

It's a pretty fun show. I like that in the show it's Sydney Fox who is the action hero who has a string of men she's loved and left whereas NIgel is the bumbling assistant who sucks when it comes to the opposite sex. It's also refreshing that there is no will they/they won't they between Sydney and Nigel. The two are friends and that's it. Sure, Nigel crushed on Sydney at first but dropped it pretty quickly.  
Also, their secretary is now one of the Librarians, which is another archaeology-oriented contemporary adventure show.

Such a great show. I might need to pull out my DVD box set and watch a few episodes.  
Mine is still in my Amazon Shopping Cart, along with a million other things....

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 20 July 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

That would seem to be the only explanation!  :lol:  
:lol:

Well, I got impatient and watched some more episodes off the internet.  :hehe:  I only have a few comments, but should I use spoiler tags for the ones that have not aired yet in the US?  For now I will tag them, separately per episode. :)
I peeked.  I like Spoilers. :D

#13 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Time

• Islander
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

Ep 5
Spoiler

Yes he does. :D

I’m quite enjoying just sitting back and staring at him.  ;)

View PostRJDiogenes, on 20 July 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

Sounds like the format is episodic, which is a nice change of pace in this day and age. I still have to finished episode one.

Absolutely, and refreshingly so!  The only hint of continuity is character development, and even that is mostly just their interaction, with just an occasion breadcrumb of backstory.  There is no ongoing b-plot on the back burner, to pay off at the end of the season.  Actually, there is no b-plot at all!  They are pretty much sticking with: do one thing at a time, and have fun!  :D

I peeked.  I like Spoilers. :D

That's what's great about spoiler tags!  Those who want to can look, and others don't have to!  :cool:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Time

• Islander
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

Ep 6

Spoiler

Ep 7
Spoiler

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Time

• Islander
  • 4,461 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:16 PM

So I have been filling up this thread with spoiler tags, does anyone else have any comments?  Has anyone seen episode 2 yet?

Just a non spoilery heads up to those not reading in the tags: episodes 6 and 7 effectively function as a two-parter.  :)

I haven't seen the season finale (ep 8) yet, but here are my thoughts in anticipation:
Spoiler

And, can someone tell me what the chances are of the show getting renewed?  It has to be, it's too much fun!!!  :D

I assume that will be based on the UK ratings, yes?  How were they?  Presumably good enough to warrant CW choosing to air it, right?  Hopefully that is a good sign???

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#16 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,152 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:35 PM

I caught a bit of the Rome episode and was pleased to note that it looked as if they were filming on location.

My impression is that we have our lovable rogue constantly dragging the more erudite and reserved lady into his adventures, basically ignoring whatever else she has going on.

Apparently, she's engaged to be married since her mother was also in Rome to help her select a wedding dress.  Which suggests to me that the lady is the actual lead in this series as I suspect that her adventuring with Hooten is going to further complicate her career and personal life and she'll be forced to make a choice between them.

Of course I may be completely wrong about that as I've only seen a few acts of a single episode.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,579 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Okay, I watched episode one and it was pretty enjoyable. Standard movie-serial adventure, but you've got to love jungle escapes and 90-year-old British encampments with a corpse clutching a map and daring leaps from crashing helicopters.  :D  I only noticed one nude scene and the CW blurred it out, the cowards.  Even Sciffy is allowing nudity on their On Demand service now.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 21 July 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Absolutely, and refreshingly so!  The only hint of continuity is character development, and even that is mostly just their interaction, with just an occasion breadcrumb of backstory.  There is no ongoing b-plot on the back burner, to pay off at the end of the season.  Actually, there is no b-plot at all!  They are pretty much sticking with: do one thing at a time, and have fun!  :D  
I really hope this comes back into fashion.  I miss short punchy adventures and a new story every week.

That's what's great about spoiler tags!  Those who want to can look, and others don't have to!  :cool:  
Indeed.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 23 July 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

So I have been filling up this thread with spoiler tags, does anyone else have any comments?  Has anyone seen episode 2 yet?  
Hopefully tonight.  I'm wondering what's going to bring these two characters together every week.  I was surprised that the pilot didn't set up some convenient premise-- I figured the museum would offer Hooten a retainer to be Alex's assistant and bodyguard because she is too important to risk going out on her own or something.

And can someone tell me what the chances are of the show getting renewed?  It has to be, it's too much fun!!!  :D  
As far as I can tell, it hasn't been decided yet.

I assume that will be based on the UK ratings, yes?  How were they?  Presumably good enough to warrant CW choosing to air it, right?  Hopefully that is a good sign???  
Hard to say.  The premiere got 1.2 million viewers, which had dropped to 500k by mid season, but then picked up to 800k by the end of the season. Based on a little Googling, I think those are decent numbers for Sky1.

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Time

• Islander
  • 4,461 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:04 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 23 July 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Okay, I watched episode one and it was pretty enjoyable. Standard movie-serial adventure, but you've got to love jungle escapes and 90-year-old British encampments with a corpse clutching a map and daring leaps from crashing helicopters.  :D  I only noticed one nude scene and the CW blurred it out, the cowards.  Even Sciffy is allowing nudity on their On Demand service now.

It's not too raunchy a show, they just show his butt in episode 1, and again in episode 6.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 23 July 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

Hopefully tonight.  I'm wondering what's going to bring these two characters together every week.  I was surprised that the pilot didn't set up some convenient premise-- I figured the museum would offer Hooten a retainer to be Alex's assistant and bodyguard because she is too important to risk going out on her own or something.

The light bulb moment for me was at the end of the pilot, when she went back to the museum and Ella apologized for the assigned guide having turned on her, and promised not to hire any more "homicidal Frenchmen" as her guides in the future.  I actually said "Oh I get it!", because I had been wondering the same as you.  It pretty much seems to be an officially approved arraignment after that, without much more of an explanation.

And can someone tell me what the chances are of the show getting renewed?  It has to be, it's too much fun!!!  :D  
As far as I can tell, it hasn't been decided yet.

Hard to say.  The premiere got 1.2 million viewers, which had dropped to 500k by mid season, but then picked up to 800k by the end of the season. Based on a little Googling, I think those are decent numbers for Sky1.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!  :D

And G-man, I have some answers to your post, but it will take me longer to think of how to say them.  :)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,579 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 23 July 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

The light bulb moment for me was at the end of the pilot, when she went back to the museum and Ella apologized for the assigned guide having turned on her, and promised not to hire any more "homicidal Frenchmen" as her guides in the future.  I actually said "Oh I get it!", because I had been wondering the same as you.  It pretty much seems to be an officially approved arraignment after that, without much more of an explanation.  
Well, good enough.  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hooten and the Lady, CW, Sky 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users