Hooten and the Lady CW Sky 1

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Episode 3: Egypt

When Alex travels to Egypt she once again teams up with Hooten, this time to try to find the long-lost tomb of Alexander the Great - but the intrepid pair soon discover that some unscrupulous locals are on their trail. Guest starring Angel Coulby.

I didn't realize I hadn't posted my thoughts on episode 2. I enjoyed it a lot, more than I did episode 1. I felt that the relationship between Hooten and Alex worked better in the second episode now since they knew more about each other. The banter felt more natural.

I was afraid Jane Seymour's character would be one of those overbearing mother caricatures but she seemed pleasant enough and she seemed truly sad that Alex didn't want to help pick out wedding dresses.

I loved the indecisive alligator and how both Hooten and Alex tried to get it to eat each other.

I didn't think the Mafia elements were a good fit for the show, and I hope that it doesn't come back to haunt them later in the series.

The Mafia was okay but they did seem like pretty heavy villains to trot out so early.

I kept expecting to the Pyroviles pop up since the Sibylline prophecies were at the heart of this episode.

A little back story on Hooten here. Not much but enough for the moment.

Hard to say.  The premiere got 1.2 million viewers, which had dropped to 500k by mid season, but then picked up to 800k by the end of the season. Based on a little Googling, I think those are decent numbers for Sky1.

Let's hope that those numbers are enough to get it renewed. Maybe they'll take international viewership into the equation as well though I don't know how well it's performing on the CW.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#22 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

I noticed that CW has moved the show to Mondays at 9.  Does that tell us anything about the ratings so far?  Good or bad?  What does it mean for future ratings?  Is this likely to help or hurt the show?

All I know it means, is that episode 4 is on Tommorow!  :D  Time for Bhutan!  :cool:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 30 July 2017 - 01:31 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#23 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 27 July 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

Okay, I saw episode two and it was good, but I didn't like it quite as much as the first episode. I didn't think the Mafia elements were a good fit for the show, and I hope that it doesn't come back to haunt them later in the series.  I did like the character development and I liked the ancient underground catacombs-- and I got a kick out of the alligator.  That's the kind of thing I want to see, not The Godfather.  :lol:

Well, there always seems to be some over the top villain around.  Either greedy competition, someone Hooten has ticked off, or some combination thereof.  ;)  It's just part of the atmosphere, along with the puzzles and and hijinks.  :)

I think you will enjoy episode 3.  It still has some crazy villains, but it's fun to see Angel Coulby again.  :cool:

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 July 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

A little back story on Hooten here. Not much but enough for the moment.

There is definitely more where that came from.  ;)

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#24 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,871 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 30 July 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

I noticed that CW has moved the show to Mondays at 9.  Does that tell us anything about the ratings so far?  Good or bad?  What does it mean for future ratings?  Is this likely to help or hurt the show?  
Well, some quick Googling seems to indicate that they're getting just under a million viewers, which is comparable or slightly better than some shows that have been renewed, such as The 100 and iZombie.  Assuming I'm understanding what I see correctly.  But that seems to be good news, since it should represent a decent amount of extra revenue for whoever is financing the show, so if it's doing fairly well in England, this will give it a boost.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 30 July 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

Well, there always seems to be some over the top villain around.  Either greedy competition, someone Hooten has ticked off, or some combination thereof.  ;)  It's just part of the atmosphere, along with the puzzles and and hijinks.  :)
That's just it.  I want them to be more over the top, not just a Mafia criminal.  I want more Indy-style villains.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#25 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 30 July 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 30 July 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

That's just it.  I want them to be more over the top, not just a Mafia criminal.  I want more Indy-style villains.

Ah. :lol:  Then I think you'll like most of the rest.  ;)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#26 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,871 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

Cool.  :cool:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#27 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

Anybody catch episode 4 last night?  Don't forget, it's now on Mondays at 9 pm! . :)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#28 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,871 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:51 PM

Should be up on On Demand then.  I'll check.

#29 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

^ Have you seen episode 3 yet?

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#30 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,871 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

Good point.  I have only seen the first two episodes. I'm falling behind.

#31 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Looks like it's not getting renewed.  Boo!  :crybaby:

From that article, it sounds like the CW was happy enough with the ratings, but the British network has decided not to make a season 2.  Though it is a little weird that CW was the one to announce that, and not Sky 1.  Doubt it makes a difference though.  :(

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#32 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,871 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 02 August 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

Looks like it's not getting renewed.  Boo!  :crybaby:  
Well, that's a shame, if true.  :(

From that article, it sounds like the CW was happy enough with the ratings, but the British network has decided not to make a season 2.  Though it is a little weird that CW was the one to announce that, and not Sky 1.  Doubt it makes a difference though.  :(
I don't see confirmation on Wiki or anywhere else.  However, I did notice that the last episode aired on Sky 1 last November, so they certainly took their time making up their minds. I guess if they had any enthusiasm they would have renewed it before now.

#33 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

Awww... that's disappointing about the non-renewal.  Second summer in a row of a fun show like this not lasting  (thinking of Houdini & Doyle).

Just got caught up on eps. 3 & 4, and enjoyed them both quite a lot.  The chemistry between Hooten & Alex has settled in nicely (Alex's reaction when Hooten came back from the dead had some really nice emotion to it).

(I'm unspoilering your comments below, SFG... Since the episodes have aired, I hope it's okay. :) )

It took me way longer than it should have to recognize Angel Coulby!
I didn't recognize her at all!  I came away from the episode going "I really liked that actress, I wonder what else she's been in?" and my jaw dropped when I saw who it was.  I wasn't much of a Merlin fan, so that's my main excuse, but still...

We get a bit more backstory for Hooten, in bits and pieces.  Sounds like a tragic past he'd rather forget, but can't really.

And, where the heck did that idea of hitting carved temple monkeys come from?!?
Yeah, Hooten's tragic past sounds like something worth hearing more about.  I wonder if he's always been an adventurer or if that came after losing his son.  (I'm guessing the wife is still alive, and he "lost" her in a different way.)

Was hitting the monkeys a reference to something?  I don't recognize it.

Episode 4 was my favorite one so far.  The whole "character is poisoned and needs to accomplish X goal before time runs out" is always a fun ride, and the way it was used to complicate a fairly standard tomb raid made for a nice way to forward the character relationship.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#34 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,871 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

Okay, I saw episode three, about Alexander's tomb. This was more like it.  :D  Lost tombs and hidden cults and underwater passageways.  And the undercover police detective was great.  Hooten was a bit over the top with his explosives at the beginning and the end, but at least he had sense enough to preserve Alexander's real corpse.  And it was a nice touch that he mentioned how his friend the forger has a family to support.  :lol:

#35 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

I belatedly checked out the first episode of this because of this thread. Learning that it starred Michael Landes and Ophelia Lovibond was enough to get me interested. But I agree with the earlier comments that it feels a bit backward in its concepts and approach. Not a very respectful portrayal of indigenous cultures. And the constant acknowledgment of modern technology and communications and helicopters and all that kind of worked against the attempt to capture a classic "explorers lost in the wilderness" vibe. In the age of the explorers Alex invoked, one could be expected to be out of touch with civilization for months at a time. In the days of Indiana Jones or even Romancing the Stone, it might be weeks before anyone started to worry about an incommunicado explorer. Now we have Alex's friends panicking when she's out of touch for a matter of hours. They were trying to be both classic and modern at the same time, and that kind of undermined the feel of the story.

I did love it that Alex included Mary Kingsley in her list of great explorers. Kingsley's my favorite Victorian explorer, and I did my senior thesis on her in college.

I liked Landes a lot in Lois and Clark, but I find his acting a little flat here. Lovibond is good, though, and the scenery is amazing. I'm not sure I'm really engaged enough to keep watching, though.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#36 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

^I'd definitely check out the second episode at least. I thought it was a big improvement over the first episode. Some of your criticisms remain but the show improves and becomes a fun romp.

It sucks that it's not getting renewed. It is a very fun show and there really isn't anything else like it on.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#37 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 August 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

^I'd definitely check out the second episode at least. I thought it was a big improvement over the first episode. Some of your criticisms remain but the show improves and becomes a fun romp.

I'm actually up through episode 4 now. I agree, the pilot was kind of weak compared to what's followed. Still, it's just okay, not great. It's all kinda been done before. The main appeals are the leads (especially Lovibond) and the great location work.

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for the pair of characters who are always back at the British Museum talking to Alex on the phone. Aside from the opening two scenes of the pilot, I don't think they've ever been outside that single lab set or interacted in person with either of the leads.

EDIT: And wouldn't you just know it, the very next episode has Ella out in the field and interacting directly with Alex and Hooten, and Clive at least gets to go to another part of the museum. I kinda had a feeling that would happen as soon as I wrote the previous paragraph.

Edited by Christopher, 11 August 2017 - 02:05 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#38 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 20 July 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

I paused the screen on the "sewer alligator", so my mother and I could debate on whether it was an alligator or a crocodile.  :lol:  I think we decided that a crocodile was the one more likely to be found in Italy, and the animatronic robot they used physically matched a crocodile.

That looked like a digital effect to me. It was pretty lifelike, but it moved like a CG construct, a lot more mobile and not as weighty as an animatronic effect would be.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 21 July 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

View PostRJDiogenes, on 20 July 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

Sounds like the format is episodic, which is a nice change of pace in this day and age. I still have to finished episode one.

Absolutely, and refreshingly so!  The only hint of continuity is character development, and even that is mostly just their interaction, with just an occasion breadcrumb of backstory.  There is no ongoing b-plot on the back burner, to pay off at the end of the season. Actually, there is no b-plot at all!  They are pretty much sticking with: do one thing at a time, and have fun!  :D

Well, there is the ongoing arc of Alex planning for her wedding, but that's about it. Otherwise, the episodes seem like they could be happening a month or two apart, easily. Which really makes more sense than the usual convention of people having death-defying, exhausting adventures and being totally recovered in less than a week. This more plausibly gives them time to recover physically and emotionally between crises. It also helps the episodes feel like each one is a mini-movie, which seems to be what they're going for, that feel of old-school adventure/romance movies.

Although I don't think I'm looking forward to the inevitable plot development of Alex and Hooten falling in love. I mean, he's supposed to be your standard disreputable rogue with a heart of gold, but they pile on his unlikeable qualities a bit too heavily for me to think that getting involved with him would in any way turn out well for Alex.

Facebook Author Page

#39 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,871 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hooten's ringtone is Boston  :lol:

This was another visually beautiful and entertaining episode, although there were a couple of unsatisying elements.  One was Hooten's large chaperone. His demise at the hands of the mandatory rickety bridge was a bit anticlimactic-- not only would I expect him to be smart enough to not be so careless, but ultimately his presence in the story was meaningless. From various cues in the story-- such as him throwing Hooten a jacket when he was cold-- I was kind of expecting him to befriend Hooten and Alex. The other problem was the old lady's poison trick-- it's a bit self defeating to give somebody a poison that's going to compromise them if you want them to climb a mountain and bring something back for you. My first thought was that she was tricking him with a poison that was just going to make him slightly sick, but not kill him.

But what we did get was another entertaining adventure to lost ruins, the retrieval of an ancient artifact, beautiful cinematography, and the usual entertaining banter between Hooten and Alex. I loved Hooten needling Alex about "taking advantage" of him. :lol:  Also we got another couple of clues to Hooten's mysterious and apparently tragic past. Can hardly go wrong there.

#40 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

This week's episode ("Moscow") went a lot darker and more serious than the show usually gets. I didn't really care for the shift in tone. A bantering, competitive relationship between the leads is one thing, but these two leads just don't get along at all. Okay, we're supposed to recognize that there's an underlying attraction driving it, but the surface hostility is just too dominant, and Hooten is just too uncommunicative. I suppose in a way it's more realistic that someone portrayed the way he's been would remain that way and keep his problems and pain to himself rather than making a big dramatic confession, but drama (or comedy) is what we're here for.

They're trying to play the standard arc where the mismatched couple are secretly in love but the woman denies it by insisting she prefers her safe, dull fiancee, and eventually she realizes she craves the adventure and intensity of the other guy more and dumps the safe guy. But Alex and Hooten's relationship to date has been so dysfunctional that I can't believe for a moment that any romance between them would have any outcome but disaster.

I liked the actress playing Alex's nemesis. Great hair and eyes. She reminds me of a taller, eviler version of Cassandra from The Librarians.

Looks like there's a rerun next week for some reason, but it's back on the 28th.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hooten and the Lady, CW, Sky 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users