Hooten and the Lady

Hooten and the Lady CW Sky 1

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

^I missed that episode. The move to Monday has really thrown me off. Not sure how I feel about the episode going darker. What I love about the show is its comedic, laid back nature. I'll have to catch it On Demand.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#42 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

This week's episode ("Moscow") went a lot darker and more serious than the show usually gets. I didn't really care for the shift in tone.

Agreed on that, though I think for slightly different reasons.  I don't have as big an issue with the "dysfunction" of their relationship while it remains on a working level... the level of flirtation and UST in any given episode has been mild enough that it works in the "snarky working relationship" sense.  Neither one of them comes across as actively harboring feelings for the other, and even if the show will/would-have clearly gone that route because that's what shows like this *do*, so far it's not bugging me.   If they hop in the sack next week or something, then yeah, there's been nowhere near enough groundwork for that to make sense, but I mostly don't object to what's been on the screen so far.

My issue with the tone shift is that the previews make it look like they're more back to standard antics next episode, and that's not terribly palatable.  If they were going to do something like this, I think they really should have brought it to a tighter conclusion.  The episode left things so unresolved - both in terms of their argument and the sort of vague ending of the plot itself - that it definitely seems really jarring to hop back into the more fun territory.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#43 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

I'm a little behind, as usual, but I just saw the Ethiopia episode. It was pretty good, as always, and had some really funny moments-- such as the biker chick finally catching up with them and then jumping over the cliff ("Tuck and roll!") and then the jeep slowly following her (I guess things going over cliffs are funny)-- but the plot MacGuffin of Ella being held hostage in Africa didn't quite ring true for me.  Odd to criticize a plot point in a show like this for being unrealistic, but it just didn't seem consistent with what little had been established of the character so far and the execution seemed halfhearted.

But the romping was fun and I liked the resolution of the mystery-- that the treasure was a mighty grove of frankincense trees, now dead.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#44 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,901 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

They showed the series finale last night (though for some reason they promoted it as a "summer finale," a term implying it would return later). And technology taketh away and technology giveth: My cable box crashed and rebooted a few minutes into the episode, so I had to wait until this morning to watch it On Demand. Once, an equipment failure on the day of broadcast would mean I would've missed the episode probably forever. But back then, I wouldn't have had to worry about a hard drive crash keeping me from watching a show.

Anyway, the finale was a bit anticlimactic, both in terms of telling a lighter followup story to the big drama of the previous two, and in terms of the quest objects being more ordinary than a lot of the previous ones. But I am pleasantly surprised that they had Alex go ahead and marry Edward after all instead of confessing her love for Hooten, which is where I thought this was going to go. On the other hand, part of the reason that's such a relief is that Hooten continues to be an overly obnoxious character, his negative qualities and his conflict with Alex played up somewhat too much. All in all, I never liked him much, and I won't really miss the show. Although I wish more shows had impressive, globetrotting location work like this instead of having the entire world look like the vicinity of Los Angeles, Vancouver, or Toronto.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hooten and the Lady, CW, Sky 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users