19 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:42 PM

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as 13th Doctor

Actor who rose to fame in Broadchurch is first woman to play the Doctor in BBC drama, replacing Peter Capaldi

And here is the BBC News article, and the official announcement on twitter.  The tweet includes a video, and since that will not embed, here it is on youtube:  :cool:

So there we have it!  :D

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 16 July 2017 - 12:45 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

Goodbye, Doctor Capaldi.  Posted Image  Hello, Doctor Whittaker.  Posted Image

And now the question is, when will the next season start?  2019?  2020?  :D
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

*Waits for the internet to break* :lol:
Hope springs eternal, and is eternally dashed

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem....
if you're powerless." - Drago Museveni

'God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh' - Voltaire

'It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.' - the Terminator, about Humanity.

"Who knew the divine was such a dissolute, horny drunk?  Although that would explain a hell of a lot about this series... " - Christopher, about Battlestar Galactica

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,248 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:56 PM

I dunno.  It's just too early for me to get excited.

We've seen no costume (which is what really sold Capaldi to me before seeing him in action), and certainly no real scene with her, so it's difficult for me to gauge the character.

Well, I'll be waiting for the Christmas special which is where I'd expect her to make her debut even as Capaldi departs.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

^^  They have a really good track record with casting, so I'm confident. I'm just sorry to see Capaldi go. He was my favorite of the modern Doctors. I hope they do more "Multiple Doctor" stories.

View PostThe Tyrant, on 17 July 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

*Waits for the internet to break* :lol:  
Nah. Nobody really cares. Just a half dozen weirdos and a million desperate sock puppets.  :D
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

I love this news. It's about time we see a female Doctor. I haven't seen anything that Jodie Whittaker has done but that was the same for the other modern Doctors as well. I have faith that they've hired the best actress for the role.

I wonder if we will have a male companion now?

While the Internet didn't break, people are freaking out and it's just sad. This won't ruin the show. If they don't like Whittaker's take on the Doctor that's one thing. No actor has been loved by the entire fandom so Whittaker won't be different in the regard. However, if people hate her just because she's a woman then they're just idiots.

While it took me a while to warm up to Capaldi's Doctor, I am going to miss him. He brought a different energy to the role than Tennant or Smith. I hope he gets a good send-off.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

I do find it curious that they chose to reveal her in this manner.  They had an entire tv special when they announced Capaldi.

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

^^  I don't think I ever saw that.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 20 July 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

I love this news. It's about time we see a female Doctor. I haven't seen anything that Jodie Whittaker has done but that was the same for the other modern Doctors as well. I have faith that they've hired the best actress for the role.  
I prefer seeing actors that I don't know as the Doctor. Although technically we had seen Capaldi before in supporting roles.

I wonder if we will have a male companion now?  
I was thinking about that, too. Doing that would imply that there was some sexual component to his selections, but they may feel compelled for demographic reasons.

While the Internet didn't break, people are freaking out and it's just sad. This won't ruin the show. If they don't like Whittaker's take on the Doctor that's one thing. No actor has been loved by the entire fandom so Whittaker won't be different in the regard. However, if people hate her just because she's a woman then they're just idiots.  
I'm not convinced all of the freaking out is genuine.  :lol:

#9 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 534 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

Praise to new showrunner Chris Chibnell and his creative team for having the courage to shake things up a bit.

Speculations on 13.

1.  Keeping with the current hot-chicks-that-kick-butt meme, especially popular following the success of the Wonder Woman movie, I predict 13 will be a hands on action Doctor, like Jon Pertwee or Diana Rigg from The Avengers.  Stand by for a lot of Venusian Aikido.

2.  If this proves correct, then Jodie's costume(s) would probably be designed to allow for a lot of athletic movement.  But expect gowns and dresses from time to time to show off the fact 13 is in fact female. The ability to run well on camera has certainly been a fixture of Dr. Who since its re-launching.  Jodie did a lot of jogging in Broadchurch so she certainly has the physicality for the role.

3.  Will 13 have a female companion, or a male companion, or both?  Since the Christmas Special features the First Doctor, I suspect a nice call back would be for 13 to have both male and female companions simultaneously.

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Oh, I really hope they don't turn the Doctor into an action hero. The Doctor's super-power is to out-think the enemy.

#11 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,248 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

I think that's up to the new showrunner.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

What?!?

#13 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,248 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

I thought you had heard.  Moffat is leaving along with Capaldi and a new showrunner will be taking over with the new Doctor.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 24 July 2017 - 05:19 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#14 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

I know, I was just being silly-- "What, the showrunner gets to decide what the show is about?"  :lol:

#15 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,248 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:12 AM

Ah.  Gotcha. ;)

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#16 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

http://www.cbr.com/s...-peter-davison/

“What I find very frustrating is that the Doctor Who fandom is being vilified at the moment,” Moffat said. “There’s endless stories about the ‘huge’ backlash against the new Doctor. Not true.”

Moffat went on to exaggerate a bit, declaring, “There was no backlash against the female Doctor. Not one bit of it,” before correcting himself, “80% approval on social media. 80%! We haven’t got a government that gets elected on those figures. There were more people talking about the backlash than there were people backlashing.

“There’s a few people, but there always are,” he exclaimed. “It’s the comments section for God’s sake! It’s where the lonely go to die. They don’t matter. The approval has been huge.” (Emphasis his.)

I thought this was a good interview and Moffat makes some good points. While there has been a backlash, there has been a lot of support. I like how he says that there are always people who immediately hate whoever is cast as the new Doctor so Jodie Whittaker isn't that different in that regard.

He also comments on Peter Davison's comments. Davison said he loved that there was a female Doctor but feared that it might mean there wasn't a good role model for young boys to look up to. Colin Baker rightly pointed out that a female Doctor could be a positive role model for boys. Gender doesn't matter when it comes to tole models. Moffat is just upset because the media has completely twisted Davison's words to make it seem like the actor is dead set against a female Doctor.

3.  Will 13 have a female companion, or a male companion, or both?  Since the Christmas Special features the First Doctor, I suspect a nice call back would be for 13 to have both male and female companions simultaneously.

I'd like to see multiple companions again. I liked having both Amy and Rory traveling with the Doctor. It would be nice to have even three or four companions, like there used to be at various times in past Doctor Who series.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

"It's where the lonely go to die."  :lol:

View PostVirgil Vox, on 26 July 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

I thought this was a good interview and Moffat makes some good points. While there has been a backlash, there has been a lot of support. I like how he says that there are always people who immediately hate whoever is cast as the new Doctor so Jodie Whittaker isn't that different in that regard.  
I agree, and I'd also bet a week's pay that most of the backlashers were sock puppets just trying to stir up trouble.

He also comments on Peter Davison's comments. Davison said he loved that there was a female Doctor but feared that it might mean there wasn't a good role model for young boys to look up to. Colin Baker rightly pointed out that a female Doctor could be a positive role model for boys. Gender doesn't matter when it comes to tole models. Moffat is just upset because the media has completely twisted Davison's words to make it seem like the actor is dead set against a female Doctor.  
That pissed me off so much, and not just because I like Peter Davison. He has a perfectly legitimate opinion. Colin Baker was out of line, and I also read one blog where some idiot called Davison "transphobic."  It's just another example of how the Lefties have become just as hateful and intolerant as the Righties.

I'd like to see multiple companions again. I liked having both Amy and Rory traveling with the Doctor. It would be nice to have even three or four companions, like there used to be at various times in past Doctor Who series.
That would be cool.  During the Peter Davison years he had a whole entourage.

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

Alex Kingston happened to be on stage at a convention when the news broke.  :cool:  Here's her reaction when the audience told her:  :D

:lol:

Also, this gives interesting new meaning to River's line "You remind me of my second wife"!  ;)

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

I really hope they figure out a way to bring River back.

#20 MikeJaffa

MikeJaffa
  • Islander
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

I have to admit that even after they established Time Lords are capable of a do-it-yourself sex change when they regenerate (which raises questions about the Time Lord reproductive cycle they never addressed, but that's another matter), I didn't think they'd ever have a female Doctor.  It's been a idea they floated before but they never did it.

Well...they did it.

I've also learned what the term "SJW" means.  Never heard it before. But as the surprise wears off, I'm coming home.  I've watched Jodie Whittaker clips on YouTube, so at least I have a sense of what she sounds like.  I'm curious about how the new show will go.  And I believe the next season starts next fall, so there's a long time to wait.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, BBC, Jodie Whittaker

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users