• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

It's best to just ignore the more obnoxious elements out there. They're just trolls and sockpuppets, so they become irrelevant if you just don't interact with them. Unfortunately, there's plenty of people out there who will keep them well fed with Outrage! and Backlash!

View PostVirgil Vox, on 28 July 2018 - 11:55 PM, said:

I like that apparently this season is going to focus on new characters and baddies. It will be good to give the Master, the Daleks, the Cybermen, the Weeping Angels, etc. a chance to rest. When I first saw the Daleks in season 1 they were frightening because they seemed so unstoppable. Unfortunately, they quickly became over-used.  
I like the idea of the standalone stories and the new antagonists. Oddly, that gives it a retro feeling for me, because that's how things were when I used to watch back in the 80s.

I also like that instead of one companion there will be three. That will make for a nice change of pace. I just hope they are handled better than the multiple companions I'm watching on Classic Who with the 5th Doctor. It seems like one companion is always getting stuck in the TARDIS for most of the adventure. Heck, in one story Nyssa literally slept through most of it.  
I wonder if she was filming something else at the time.  But the multiple Companions is another element that feels like the old days to me, so I'm looking forward to that as well.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#42 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 29 July 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

I also like that instead of one companion there will be three. That will make for a nice change of pace. I just hope they are handled better than the multiple companions I'm watching on Classic Who with the 5th Doctor. It seems like one companion is always getting stuck in the TARDIS for most of the adventure. Heck, in one story Nyssa literally slept through most of it.  
I wonder if she was filming something else at the time.

The reason Nyssa was asleep in the TARDIS for nearly all of "Kinda" was that the scripts were written before the character was added to the cast, so there just wasn't a place for her in the story. (It's the same reason Jamie was ill for most of "The Moonbase" back in the Second Doctor era.)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#43 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:38 PM

http://www.digitalsp...on-11-air-date/

The airdate for Doctor Who series 11 has *finally* been revealed.

Jodie Whittaker's first full episode as the new Doctor will air on Sunday, October 7 on BBC One.

Yes, the BBC has officially confirmed that Doctor Who will be moving from its traditional Saturday night slot for the first time since the series was revived in 2005.
The title of the season premiere has also been revealed: showrunner Chris Chibnall's episode will be called 'The Woman Who Fell to Earth'.

Chibnall said: "New Doctor, new home! Jodie Whittaker's Doctor is about to burst into Sunday nights — and make the end of the weekend so much more exciting.

We finally have a date for when the new season starts. Less than a month away now.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#44 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

Unless they air it earlier in the night, say 8 p.m., they are competing with THE WALKING DEAD.  I'm not sure that's a good idea, given this is Andrew Lincoln's final season.  (Which was announced ahead, atypical for TWD.  Only reason I can think of is to bring back some lost viewers just to see his final episodes, since TWD's ratings have decreased a bit over the last few years.)

I suppose the logic for moving DW to Sunday is more people will likely be home Sunday than Saturday night.

I am really curious to see how this turns out.

#45 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:34 PM

I wonder how much the two shows overlap in terms of audience, and how many of each audience watch on On Demand. It's been ages since I watched a show in real time.

I just hope that Doctor Who doesn't hurt Walking Dead too much.  :innocent:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#46 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,627 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:47 AM

I confess some curiosity about this upcoming season.

I liked the Capaldi years, even if they were a bit uneven, and really enjoyed his Christmas Specials.  Heck, I even liked Bill, although I didn’t like how she ended (thank goodness for that last Christmas episode, which I loved).

So, here’s keeping my fingers crossed that the upcoming season won’t disappoint.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#47 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:39 PM

I'm curious as well, and a little anxious given the change in showrunners.  This show has had a good run and is the rare example of a revival that is both modern and faithful to the original-- I'd hate to see it come to an end.

#48 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 11 September 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

I'm curious as well, and a little anxious given the change in showrunners.

I'm glad of the change -- it was high time. Moffat had some great ideas, but also a lot of overindulgences, and his bag of tricks was limited so he ended up repeating himself after a while. So a new creative voice and vision is welcome.

This show has had a good run and is the rare example of a revival that is both modern and faithful to the original-- I'd hate to see it come to an end.

Maybe that's because the original itself changed so much over the years, reinventing itself in countless ways from its beginnings as a kids' educational show about two heroic schoolteachers, their alien student, and her mysterious, troublemaking grandfather. There were several times it updated itself to be more modern -- primarily the switch to color and a more action-oriented style at the start of the Jon Pertwee era in 1970; the adoption of slicker visuals, FX, and music when John Nathan-Turner took over in Tom Baker's last year; and the revamp in the last couple of Sylvester McCoy seasons when the storytelling got more adult and sophisticated and an attempt was made to reintroduce an air of mystery to the Doctor (presaging what Russell T. Davies would do in 2005).

Anyway, if the current Who did come to an end, it'd probably be only another decade or two before someone revived it yet again.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, BBC, Jodie Whittaker

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users