• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.3300968

Just unfreaking real. I'm actually surprised this idiot of a Prime Minister is willing to risk the friendly relationship between Canada and the USA. Not to mention the family of the guy this terrorist murdered will probably be trying to sue Canada now, since the Candian Government seems to be A OKAY with Canadian terrorists murdering Americans.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#2 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,985 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

First thought on seeing this post: "I wonder what BS LotS is uncritically repeating today..."

Turns out you want a child soldier to be treated like an adult. I wish there was any abysmal position you could take that would still surprise me.

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

^ Even child soldier hasn't been proven.

But lets say he was an adult and surely killed someone. If he were a regular murderer, or a regular POW, he would not have be subject to torture, or the other mistreatment, or abrogation of his rights that are his as a Canadian citizen.

That is what the judgment is for, per the courts, it is due to the government of Canada voluntarily and intentionally ignoring his legal human rights.

Edited by sierraleone, 17 July 2017 - 09:28 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:50 AM

LoTS, let's see you cite any other combatant, from any other war, who has been singled out for being . . . well . . . a combatant. Then, on top of that, to be held illegally for around a decade.

Omar Khadr was a child soldier fighting the Americans invading his country.

Give your head a shake. That tiny thing rattling around will be your pea brain.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:53 AM

View Postgsmonks, on 18 July 2017 - 02:50 AM, said:

Uhm, when, EXACTLY, did the USA invade Canada? The terrorist wasn't fighting people who had invaded his country. He went to a foreign country, took up arms against the USA and Canda, BTW, (His own country. So he committed Treason against Canada) and then he got captured ON THE BATTLEFIELD. He should be thankful they didn't just put a bullet in his head.

But hey, I guess, at least according to some here, that "It's ok to kill American soldiers, as long as you are a child soldier when you do it."
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:08 AM

View PostOmega, on 17 July 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

I wish there was any abysmal position you could take that would still surprise me.

Funny, I was thinking that exact same thing about you, when you took the position of "It's perfectly ok for an Ally of the USA to pay a citizen turned terrorist to kill American soldiers."

#7 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 18 July 2017 - 04:53 AM, said:

View Postgsmonks, on 18 July 2017 - 02:50 AM, said:

Uhm, when, EXACTLY, did the USA invade Canada? The terrorist wasn't fighting people who had invaded his country. He went to a foreign country, took up arms against the USA and Canda, BTW, (His own country. So he committed Treason against Canada) and then he got captured ON THE BATTLEFIELD. He should be thankful they didn't just put a bullet in his head.

But hey, I guess, at least according to some here, that "It's ok to kill American soldiers, as long as you are a child soldier when you do it."

Plenty of ex-pat soldiers went back to their homelands to fight for: Germany, Italy, Russia, France, Britain, Spain, Ukraine, Canada, the US, pretty much every country you can name. About an equal number didn't. My grandfather ran into Canadian/German and Canadian/Italian soldiers in WWI fighting on both sides. My great-great-grandmother and my great-grandmother had relatives fighting on all sides.

Your point is?

If you actually checked the matter out, you'd find all kinds of stories like this:

http://www.independe...9-26819022.html

https://en.wikipedia...y_Party_(Canada)

There were plenty of Nazis living in the US in the 1930's, many of whom returned home to fight for Germany. Not one of them was singled out as a "terrorist" under false pretenses, or any other pretenses, and illegally held for a decade after the war. They were treated as they were- enemy soldiers- an were released after the war.

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

View Postgsmonks, on 18 July 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

There were plenty of Nazis living in the US in the 1930's, many of whom returned home to fight for Germany. Not one of them was singled out as a "terrorist" under false pretenses, or any other pretenses, and illegally held for a decade after the war. They were treated as they were- enemy soldiers- an were released after the war.

The difference between the soldiers you are talking about, and these terrorists is a simple, yet profound one. The soldiers you are talking about wore uniforms, had clearly marked ranks upon said uniforms. Not to mention the fact that, IIRC, War had actually been declared during those wars. So they were protected by the Geneva Convention. In this war, War hasn't actually been declared by Congress. The terrorists don't wear uniforms with rank, they are considered unlawful enemy combatants, and are NOT protected by the Geneva Convention.

#9 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

So if a war is not declared by the US, a conflict is not a war and opposing combatants (not wearing uniforms) are not soldiers, but terrorists? Does it count if the enemy combatants in Afghanistan, Iraq, or Syria consider themselves at war with the US? Did King George consider our ragtag groups of American colonists, dressed in every day clothes and firing muskets at his redcoat soldiers from behind trees and stone walls soldiers or terrorists?

As far as I know, the Korean "War", back in the 1950s was officially considered a "police action" with no formal declaration of war by the US Congress. Were we killing Korean soldiers at that time or just enemy combatants? I wonder if you asked the families of those Afghani and Syrian civilians who are killed by American drones or artillery while in a mosque worshiping or celebrating a wedding consider our uniformed soldiers and their uniformed superior officers controlling those drones and artillery pieces "soldiers" or "terrorists"? Or should anyone really care about what they think?

#10 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 18 July 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

View Postgsmonks, on 18 July 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

The difference between the soldiers you are talking about, and these terrorists is a simple, yet profound one. The soldiers you are talking about wore uniforms, had clearly marked ranks upon said uniforms. Not to mention the fact that, IIRC, War had actually been declared during those wars. So they were protected by the Geneva Convention. In this war, War hasn't actually been declared by Congress. The terrorists don't wear uniforms with rank, they are considered unlawful enemy combatants, and are NOT protected by the Geneva Convention.

That's about the dumbest thing I ever heard. It's guerilla warfare, capiche? Guerilla fighters often don't wear uniforms. They are NOT terrorists. The US uses guerilla warfare tactics all the time, which includes not wearing the US uniform. They've also been known to wear the uniform of the enemy to throw them off- a common tactic.

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:19 PM

According to my readings, Khadr was declared an enemy combatant, with no "unlawful" before it.

Though I suspect it was a mistake.

If there are only two categories of combatants in war, lawful enemy combatant, and unlawful enemy combatant, which does a child combatant fall under?

Geneva convention in 1949 prohibited recruitment and and use of children under 15.
OPAC 2000 (Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict) upped the age to 18.
It was adopted May 2000, and in force Feb 2002. US signed it Jul 2000 and ratified it Dec 2002.
Khadr was captured Jul 2002 at age 15.

I think both the rule of law, and justice, mean very different things to people who'd say the above information justifies Khadr's treatment, and those who would say it wouldn't.

View PostLord of the Sword, on 18 July 2017 - 05:08 AM, said:

Funny, I was thinking that exact same thing about you, when you took the position of "It's perfectly ok for an Ally of the USA to pay a citizen turned terrorist to kill American soldiers."

Emphasis mine. Khadr wasn't paid *to do* anything by the Canadian Government, certainly not to kill anyone. You still don't understand that fundamental fact of this case, which have already been explained. Can you give me a good reason to continue humouring you?

Edited by sierraleone, 18 July 2017 - 09:11 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#12 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:19 AM

What sickens me (actually kept me lying awake tonight) is the way right-wing conservative political and newsie scabs are defaming Khadr to pad their own pockets right now. That's what's really sick.

#13 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:11 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 17 July 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.3300968

Just unfreaking real. I'm actually surprised this idiot of a Prime Minister is willing to risk the friendly relationship between Canada and the USA. Not to mention the family of the guy this terrorist murdered will probably be trying to sue Canada now, since the Candian Government seems to be A OKAY with Canadian terrorists murdering Americans.

If that was an American 15 year old that Iraq/Iran/Russia/take your pick, took and tortured, held in prison for years, I'm guessing you would be singing a far different tune.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users