• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...bill/index.html

It would probably be a futile gesture, but IMO President Trump should veto this bill and tell Congress: Send me a clean bill, without the added amendment giving Congress Presidential veto authority, which is straight up unconstitutional, and then I will sign it. Sure if he vetoes the bill, Congress will over ride the veto, but then the WH can just file with the USSC and have them rule on whether or not the amendment in the bill is constitutional.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#2 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,985 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

Are you under the impression that the presidents has unilateral constitutional authority to alter sanctions? Remind me to consult Article 2 of The Constitution on that one I'm not sure where it is. Can you find it?

#3 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

I think he should veto it too. Maybe the gold star and another $50 million "profit" payoff from his boss on one of his Russian real estate deals will put him in a better mood and keep him off Twitter for a day or two.

#4 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

View PostOmega, on 28 July 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

Are you under the impression that the presidents has unilateral constitutional authority to alter sanctions? Remind me to consult Article 2 of The Constitution on that one I'm not sure where it is. Can you find it?

LoTS probably has the Fox News Cliff's Note's version of the Constitution. Abridged by "conservatives" to conserve paper and ink.

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

The President, not Congress, determines Foreign Policy.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#6 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

^ Yeah! That's why when the president wants America to go to war the president doesn't need Congress to sign a Declaration of War! Oh, wait....

#7 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 31 July 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

The President, not Congress, determines Foreign Policy.

I'd advise you to consent to checking out Omega's suggested research...    ;)

#8 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:23 PM

Control of foreign policy is a matter of debate right now.

https://learningengl...nt/2679369.html
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:09 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 31 July 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

^ Yeah! That's why when the president wants America to go to war the president doesn't need Congress to sign a Declaration of War! Oh, wait....

Yes, Congress does have the power to declare war. But that's about the extent of their foreign policy authority. And now that you mention it, when foreign leaders, and ambassadors, come to this country to discuss relations...funny, they don't seem to discuss them WITH Congress. They go to the White House and talk to the person WITH the authority to determine foreign policy.

#10 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

....who then submits all treaties and agreements with foreign powers to the overriding advise and consent power of Congress. Check out the Constitution, not Fox News.

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 02 August 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

....who then submits all treaties and agreements with foreign powers to the overriding advise and consent power of Congress. Check out the Constitution, not Fox News.

Of course it gets submitted. Congress does have the power of the purse, so if a foreign policy needs to be funded, Congress does have to authorize the money. That doesn't make Congress the foreign policy deciders. Congress can't open up a foreign policy dialogue with says North Korea, or any other country for that matter.

#12 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

Still waiting on you to find that in the Constitution somewhere.

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

Article 2 of the constitution gives the President the power. It also says the Senate advises and consent.  But even the constitution doesn't give the Senate the power this amendment now gives them.

#14 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

Find the quote in Article 2. I'll save you the searching:
https://www.law.corn...ution/articleii

The only line anywhere in Article 2 that addresses foreign relations is:
"He shall have power, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to make treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur;"

Care to explain how that affects Congress putting sanctions on another country? Because it doesn't.

Maybe you should stop repeating other peoples' lies so uncritically. You'd be taken more seriously.

And maybe you should start getting pissed off when people lie to you and use you.

#15 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

Oh, and if "advice and consent" means "the President can do whatever the hell he wants whether the Senate likes it or not" why is Merrick Garland not on the Supreme Court?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users