good quiet tires?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trevon

trevon
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:42 AM

Need to replace the tires on my 08 Civic and I'm just looking for some suggestions. I saw fairly good reviews regarding toyo tires proxes and Continental DWS, but can't decide yet on what to choose. Is there any brand of tire you prefer? Is there one you won't buy?

Edited by trevon, 07 August 2017 - 02:43 AM.

#2 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

I always put loud, noisy tires on my cars and trucks, aka snow tires. Better traction in all seasons, and no surprises. Plus they generally last longer because they have (sometimes much) more tread.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

No clue, unfortunately. I am not a car smart person so I usually ask my dad's advice before I get new tires or anything else like that for my car.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,599 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:32 AM

I actually like Generals myself, but I'm basing that on the set of General Altamax RT43s I put on the OrphVan last year, so it may not apply to your 08 Civic.

I chose them solely based on reviews (anything better was 50% more $$ for 10% better performance --- or $100s more per tire for... bragging rights?), but then they went on sale at Walmart, and I got a full set, balanced, installed, extended warranty, road hazard, disposal and tax for under $370 out the door. I don't think I've gotten good tires that cheap in 20 years. The nickel-and-dime add-ons alone are usually around $100 for installing 4 tires

And they are good: much quieter and softer riding than the factory originals, longer treadlife rating, and better in snow. I just checked mine, because this week is their 1-year anniversary, and I don't really see any wear at all. They might actually last their full rated 70,000 miles/112,000km (the tread rating of RT43s varies according to size, speed/weight rating, etc. Some versions are only rated 60K miles)

Continental were recommended to me (for the van and also for a luxury sedan---i.e. both heavy cars) --also Cooper CS3s, but, I think they quit making CS3s a few years back. (They're still widely sold, and at a discount, but they've likely been sitting in a warehouse, and any one given retailler may not have the full array of sizes). After I found the RT43, I didn't look into the newer Cooper CS4 and CS5

Edited by Orpheus, 13 August 2017 - 01:39 AM.

#5 trevon

trevon
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:41 PM

Thanks guys. I ended up getting the Conti DWS06 because of the many good reviews I saw online. Will report back regarding its performance.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users