White Supremacist rally turns violent

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

A rally this morning by white nationalists protesting the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville, VA  has resulted in violence as the white supremacist, KKK, and neo-Nazi contingent clashed with a gathering of counter protesters. Surprisingly, President Blowhard missed this impromptu rally of his supporters, evidently working to stoke up his fire and fury reserves in between rounds of golf at his Bedminster, NJ estate.

A car containing rally enthusiasts plowed into a crowd of counter protestors, sending bodies flying through the air as the driver of the Dodge Challenger slammed into the rear of another car, caving in its trunk and catapulting an unfortunate pedestrian completely over the length of the vehicle. The driver of the Charger then put it in reverse, disengaging from the car that was struck and attempted escape by burning rubber back up the street and striking more pedestrians during this maneuver. Supposedly the Charger has been stopped by police and it should be interesting if the driver invokes the "reasoning" that has been espoused here on EI that perhaps he or she and the car's passengers felt blocked, kidnapped, and in fear for their lives by the crowd and considered accelerating through or over the protesters in the street the only option available.

Edited by yadda yadda, 12 August 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#2 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

"White Supremacist rally turns violent . . . "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a given? :)

Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

^ Maybe, but it's nothing to smile about.  :mellow:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

45 is delivering a statement about the violence in Charlottesville, prefacing his scheduled remarks about Veteran's affairs. 45 awkwardly  read some short prepared remarks, eyes glued to paper, decrying hatred, bigotry, and violence "on many sides". Then he stated that his government had made great strides in expanding the bonds of loyalty of the citizens to his government, but that the citizens need to work on establishing bonds of loyalty and love between themselves (because any discord is for sure not HIS fault, nothing ever is). Then he used the occasion to reflexively extoll his own "accomplishments", a commercial for the low unemployment rate, vigor in the stock market, etc. seemingly  in the context of scolding the citizenry for not being appreciative enough of him and his administration to be happy and put aside conflict and violence.

45 then said that the Governor of Virginia had thanked him for whatever he had done to handle the situation. No word yet on whether the Presidents of Mexico and the Boy Scouts had also called to praise him and offer congratulations. The potus then made the obligatory glad handing of a few veterans on stage and praising of his VA appointments. Then he left without answering any questions, such as what he meant by hatred, bigotry, and violence on "many sides"? And did he consider this an act of terrorism, or was he waiting to see if there were any Muslims in the car behind those dark tinted windows? Or if his pandering to white nationalists and having them in his administration emboldened these racist freaks into this sort of criminal activity?

#5 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 12 August 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

^ Maybe, but it's nothing to smile about.  :mellow:SFG

Bigots are fools. A fool is: "A professional clown employed to entertain a king or nobleman in the middle ages." Clowns taste funny. Funny makes me smile.

And the circle of life is complete.

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,826 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

One person died in the vehicular incident described in the first post. :( Hopefully that number doesn't rise.
5 others in critical condition.

https://www.washingt...:homepage/story

Edited by sierraleone, 12 August 2017 - 06:59 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,990 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:42 PM

Even someone as toady as Marco Rubio is calling Trump out for not saying this is an act of white supremacist terrorism.

The number of people on twitter saying the terrorist was a plant, because all political violence a priori comes from the left, is sad. But then, it's twitter.

#8 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 12 August 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

Bigots are fools. A fool is: "A professional clown employed to entertain a king or nobleman in the middle ages." Clowns taste funny. Funny makes me smile.

Nothing funny about people dying.  And calling them any version of killer clowns only makes light of a serious incident / issue.

Nope, still not laughing at Nazis.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#9 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 12 August 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

One person died in the vehicular incident described in the first post. :( Hopefully that number doesn't rise.

God, I just read the whole article you linked.  I had to keep stopping, that was not easy to read.  I feel kind of sick now. :( :heart:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#10 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 12 August 2017 - 10:05 PM, said:

Nothing funny about people dying.  And calling them any version of killer clowns only makes light of a serious incident / issue.

SFG

H'm . . . you make for a tough crowd. Haven't you seen Hogan's Heroes? Inglourious Basterds? Or heard Der Fuhrer's Face?

I figure that if we become incapable of levity, the bastards have won.

Trump's blaming of people on all sides I found particularly grating. Reminded me of a rednecked uncle from my childhood who, when one of his kids was acting up, would wail on all of them, saying, "I don't care who started it." All too many parents are morons that way.

I just caught the tail end of a report on a helicopter crash that killed two troopers. Was it part of the same event?

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:17 AM

View Postgsmonks, on 12 August 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 12 August 2017 - 10:05 PM, said:

SFG

H'm . . . you make for a tough crowd. Haven't you seen Hogan's Heroes? Inglourious Basterds? Or heard Der Fuhrer's Face?

I figure that if we become incapable of levity, the bastards have won.

I have seen The Great Dictator and The Producers.  Satire surely has it's value, but it also has timing.  While disastrous news is breaking doesn't feel like the right time to me.  It seems to blur just who you are laughing at.

I just caught the tail end of a report on a helicopter crash that killed two troopers. Was it part of the same event?

Some of the news I read seemed to imply that it was, but I couldn't find any details of just how the two events were connected.  I suspect much more will be known by morning.

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 13 August 2017 - 12:18 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,826 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

The article has been updated and indicated it has, in at least as far as the helicopter was there providing law enforcement support (though did not specify how). No indication of foul play involved that I saw. So if that holds, mechanical failure or user error the likely cause.

ETA: reporting is saying now that the helicopter hit a tree.

Edited by sierraleone, 13 August 2017 - 08:50 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#13 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 12 August 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on 12 August 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

God, I just read the whole article you linked.  I had to keep stopping, that was not easy to read.  I feel kind of sick now. :( :heart:

SFG

The parts of the article that I find most terrifying (ok, maybe this is just the last half of the article):

On Saturday morning, people in combat gear — some wearing bicycle and motorcycle helmets and carrying clubs, sticks and makeshift shields — fought one another on downtown streets, with little apparent police interference. Both sides sprayed chemical irritants and hurled plastic bottles through the air.

A large contingent of Charlottesville police officers and Virginia State Police troopers in riot gear were stationed on side streets and at nearby barricades but did nothing to break up the melee until about 11:40 a.m. Using megaphones, police then declared an unlawful assembly and gave a five-minute warning to leave Emancipation Park.

“The worst part is that people got hurt and the police stood by and didn’t do a g------ thing,” said David Copper, 70, of Staunton, Va.

State Del. David Toscano (D-Charlottesville), minority leader of Virginia’s House, praised the response by Charlottesville and state police.

Asked why police did not act sooner to intervene as violence unfolded, Toscano said he could not comment. “But they trained very hard for this, and it might have been that they were waiting for a more effective time to get people out” of Emancipation Park, he said.

By early afternoon, hundreds of rallygoers had made their way to a larger park two miles to the north. Duke, speaking to the crowd, said that European Americans are “being ethnically cleansed within our own nation” and called Saturday’s events “the first step toward taking America back.”

White nationalist leader Richard Spencer also addressed the group, urging people to disperse. But he promised they would return for a future demonstration, blaming Saturday’s violence on counterprotesters.

In an interview, Spencer said he was “beyond outraged” that police had declared the planned rally an “unlawful assembly.”

“I never before thought that I would have my country cracking down on me and on free speech,” he said. “We were lawfully and peacefully assembled. We came in peace, and the state cracked down.”

He said that counterprotesters attacked rallygoers but also acknowledged that “maybe someone threw a first punch on our side. Maybe that happened. I obviously didn’t see everything.”

By 11 a.m., several fully armed militias and hundreds of right-wing rallygoers had poured into the small downtown park that was to be the site of the rally.

Counterprotesters held “Black Lives Matter” signs and placards expressing support for equality and love as they faced rallygoers who waved Confederate flags and posters that said “the Goyim know,” referring to non-Jewish people, and “the Jewish media is going down.”

“No Trump! No KKK! No fascist USA!” the counterprotesters chanted.

“Too late, f-----s!” a man yelled back at them.

Michael Von Kotch, a Pennsylvania resident who called himself a Nazi, said the rally made him “proud to be white.”

He said that he’s long held white supremacist views and that Trump’s election has “emboldened” him and the members of his own Nazi group.

“We are assembled to defend our history, our heritage and to protect our race to the last man,” Von Kotch said, wearing a protective helmet and sporting a wooden shield and a broken pool cue. “We came here to stand up for the white race.”

Naundi Cook, 23, who is black, said that she came to Saturday’s counterprotests to “support my people” but that she’s never seen something like this before.

When violence broke out, she started shaking and got goose bumps.

“I’ve seen people walking around with tear gas all over their face, all over their clothes. People getting Maced, fighting,” she said. “I didn’t want to be next.”

Cook said she couldn’t sit back and watch white nationalists descend on her town. She has a 3-year-old daughter to stand up for, she said.

“Right now, I’m not sad,” she said once the protests dispersed. “I’m a little more empowered. All these people and support, I feel like we’re on top right now because of all the support that we have.”

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

Some terrifying images via twitter:

A river of hate:

Attached File  DHCFJu2VYAEb2kh.jpg   128.95K   0 downloads

Imagine if these people ever faced actual oppression:  (I suggest you read the twitter thread by this poster.  It's quite profound.)

Attached File  DHBkAUMXoAAocyW - Imagine if these people ever faced actual oppression..jpg   55.48K   0 downloads

These are not law enforcement. Would only say they are citizens:

Attached File  DHCFWIiXcAEKjc4 - These are not law enforcement. Would only say they are citizens..jpg   196.14K   0 downloads

SFG  :fear:

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,826 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

I saw this meme today:

"You don't get to be both a nazi and a proud American. We literally had a war about this. The whole world was involved."

- Masha Gessen

#16 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

Here is a song.  One that calls for healing, and for an end to hatred.  :humble:

Wildfire Lyrics
by Mandolin Orange

Brave men fall with a battle cry
Tears fill the eyes of their loved ones and their brothers in arms
So it went, for Joseph Warren

It should have been different, it could have been easy
His rank could have saved him, but a country unborn needs bravery
And it spread like wildfire

Wildfire
Wildfire

From the ashes grew sweet liberty
Like the seeds of the pines when the forest burns
They open up, grow and burn again

But too much money rolled in to ever end slavery
The cry for war spread like wildfire

Wildfire
Wildfire

(instrumental)

Civil war came, civil war went
Brother fought brother, the south was spent
But its true demise was hatred, passed down through the years

But pride has a way of holding too firm to history
And it burns like wildfire

Wildfire
Wildfire

(instrumental)

I was born a southern son
In a small southern town where the rebels run wild
They beat their chest and they swear: we're gonna rise again

The day that old Warren died, hate should have gone with it
But here we are, caught in the wildfire

Wildfire
Wildfire

Lyrics from: Metrolyrics

We have had so many chances to get it right in this country.  We have to find a way to do better.

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#17 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,826 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 13 August 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

Here is a song.  One that calls for healing, and for an end to hatred.  :humble:

Wild Fire (YouTube)

Beautiful song Sci-Fi Girl.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 13 August 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

We have had so many chances to get it right in this country.  We have to find a way to do better.

SFG

What's that saying? That once America has exhausted every other option it does the right thing? :(

Edited by sierraleone, 13 August 2017 - 03:10 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#18 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

Dunno why, but this brings to mind an anti-war song by Les Poppys that was popular in Quebec (and France) during the Vietnam War. They've resurrected the group as New Poppys and redone the song, but I prefer the original:

Or if you prefer, Billie Ze Kick's version:

English translation
No no, nothing has changed

It’s the story of a truce
for which I had asked
It’s the story of a sun
for which I had hoped
It’s the story of a love
that I thought to be alive
It’s the story of a beautiful day,
when I as a little child,
I wanted happiness
for the whole planet
I wanted, I hoped
that peace would reign
On this Christmas Eve
But everything went on
But everything went on
But everything went on

No, no, nothing has changed
Everything, everything went on
Hey! Hey ! Hey! Hey !

And however many people
have sung with us
And however many people
have knelt
to pray, yes to pray {x2}
But on television
I saw guns and canons
every day
even on Christmas Eve
I have cried, yes I've cried
I have cried, yes I've cried
Who's going to explain me that...

Hey! Hey ! Hey! Hey !

I think about the child,
surrounded by soldiers
I think about the child
who's asking "Why?"
All the time, yes all the time {x2}
I think about all this
but I shouldn't
All these things
don't concern me
However, yes however
However, I'm singing, I'm singing...

Hey! Hey ! Hey! Hey !

#19 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,826 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

I was reading One group loved Trump's remarks about Charlotteville: White supremacists, and it ended thus:

The Daily Stormer [a neo-nazi website] wrapped up its coverage of Saturday’s violence in Charlottesville…. It ended with nary a word about Trump — but an optimistic note to those who had protested in Charlottesville, and a word of warning to everyone else.

“And to everyone, know this: we are now at war. And we are not going to back down. … We are going to go bigger than Charlottesville. We are going to go huge. We are going to take over the country. … We learned a lot today. And we are going to remember what we learned. This has only just begun.”

- Masha Gessen

#20 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

Good grief. Even though it's being covered by the media, it's still hard to believe it's happening.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users