White Supremacist rally turns violent

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#41 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,985 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

Seriously, LotS. You've been demonstrated to be repeating the lies of others over and over. They're not even your own lies. Do you like being nothing but someone else's slave? You seem like you would have more self-respect than to allow yourself to be property. But none is apparent.

Edited by Omega, 14 August 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#42 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:32 AM

LoTS = Troll

Attached Files

Edited by gsmonks, 15 August 2017 - 01:33 AM.

Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#43 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

Now to be fair, I don't think LotS is a troll. He's not just posting to elicit an extreme emotional response. Instead, he's posting because emotional responses are all he has. That's not exactly a troll. A troll has more agency.

#44 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

Anyway, I don't believe that you intended any of those meanings when you posted.  But whenever someone repeats one of those phrases, I am reminded of all of the hateful lies that are behind those words, and it is hard not to take it personally.

Just something you can hopefully add to your perspective, when you take things in and evaluate them at face value.

SFG

I wasn't aware of the similarities.  And I don't believe the mainstream media is racist. I  DO believe the mainstream media hates Trump,  and anyone who supported Trump. The mainstream media got the election SO wrong, and are resentful of that fact. The mainstream media is doing whatever they can to politically assassinate the President.

Their hatred of Trump and Trump supporters is that strong.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#45 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 15 August 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Anyway, I don't believe that you intended any of those meanings when you posted.  But whenever someone repeats one of those phrases, I am reminded of all of the hateful lies that are behind those words, and it is hard not to take it personally.

Just something you can hopefully add to your perspective, when you take things in and evaluate them at face value.

SFG

I wasn't aware of the similarities.  

Then thank you for listening.  :)

And I don't believe the mainstream media is racist. I  DO believe the mainstream media hates Trump,  and anyone who supported Trump. The mainstream media got the election SO wrong, and are resentful of that fact. The mainstream media is doing whatever they can to politically assassinate the President.

I think there is one thing that we can all agree on, and that is the strength of the emotions that people feel about Trump, both for and against.  Though I think much of what you see as hatred of Trump (and of his supporters) is actually fear.  Fear and hate can look similar, especially the process of expressing a very deep fear, and the desire to remove the cause of the fear, it can begin to look like hate.

Where we begin to disagree, is that I think the media is expressing the true feelings of a significant segment of the population, and I think that is a larger segment than you realize.  Yes, Trump won an election, but slightly over half of those who voted, voted against him.  And I think most of the people who did so feel that same, very strong, fear-that-can-look-like-hate that you see in the media.  I also happen to think that feeling is deserved, and not because of what the media has told me.  It is so many of Trump's own words and actions that make me fear him and his supporters.  And also the words and actions of his supporters, like the ones who came out on Saturday, which I find truly terrifying.

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 15 August 2017 - 10:23 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#46 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

Today, UPI reports that the Department of Justice "seeks personal info on 1.3 million anti-Trump website users".  Apparently neo-Nazi and alt-Right sites are OK for the D of J.  Looks like Putin has trained Trump on creating an "enemies" list.  Have you seen Trump's latest re-election ad?  You are witnessing the growth of the dictator state.

#47 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,772 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

View Post3C273, on 15 August 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

Today, UPI reports that the Department of Justice "seeks personal info on 1.3 million anti-Trump website users".  Apparently neo-Nazi and alt-Right sites are OK for the D of J.  Looks like Putin has trained Trump on creating an "enemies" list.  Have you seen Trump's latest re-election ad?  You are witnessing the growth of the dictator state.

I read about that before I went to bed last night.  This, along with wanting the voter registration rolls, is all about identifying and silencing the opposition.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#48 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

This can't be legal. There are provisions that prevent malicious use of the law.

#49 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

It's not legal. But Trump has never cared about the law.

#50 Cait

Cait

• 10,772 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 15 August 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

This can't be legal. There are provisions that prevent malicious use of the law.

And if #45 weren't appointing federal judges [for life] I'd agree with you.  Who would stop him if the courts are stacked, and if the courts could stop him, what damage could be done in the interim?

I'm reminded of Andrew Jackson's remarks to Chief Justice John Marshall re: Worcester v. Georgia:

https://en.wikipedia...ster_v._Georgia

Chief Justice John Marshall laid out in this opinion that the relationship between the Indian Nations and the United States is that of nations. He reasoned that the United States, in the character of the federal government, inherited the rights of Great Britain as they were held by that nation. Those rights, he stated, include the sole right to deal with the Indian nations in North America, to the exclusion of any other European power. This did not include the rights of possession to their land or political dominion over their laws. He acknowledged that the exercise of conquest and purchase can give political dominion, but those are in the hands of the federal government, and individual states had no authority in American Indian affairs. Georgia's statute was therefore invalid.

And Jackson responded:

In a popular quotation that is believed to be apocryphal, President Andrew Jackson reportedly responded: "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it!"

That decision has never been enforced and it is decided law.  It also shows the inability of the courts to stop an Executive if s/he refused to obey a decision.  We trust that we are a nation of laws, and that the courts will be our recourse when laws are broken causing damage of citizens. But, what happens when the courts are castrated and ineffective?

Source:

#51 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 15 August 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

I wasn't aware of the similarities.  And I don't believe the mainstream media is racist. I  DO believe the mainstream media hates Trump,  and anyone who supported Trump. The mainstream media got the election SO wrong, and are resentful of that fact. The mainstream media is doing whatever they can to politically assassinate the President.

Maybe they and liberals are not resentful of the fact that they got the election wrong, but that the electorate let America down in profound ways, either cheering, accepting, tolerating, or ignoring, Trump's in-almost-every-way unfitness for office, including his boasting, accepting, tolerating, or ignoring, prejudice and hate. Partly it seems so that they, Trump-supporters, could spite their opponents. Why wouldn't that make one feel bitter or indignant?

Now, while there are lessens to be learned from this, it will do no good to wallow in resentment and/or strike back in ways only intended to spite. But resentment is not an unnatural reaction.

Edited by sierraleone, 15 August 2017 - 04:06 PM.

- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#52 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

A Fox news reporter called the vehicular manslaughterer (rather, murderer) a white vigilante….

A vigilante is what you call someone who fights for justice outside the public institutions meant (nominally or otherwise)….

Merriam-Webster:  a member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish crime summarily (as when the processes of law are viewed as inadequate); broadly : a self-appointed doer of justice.

We generally agree with vigilante goals (justice), but often abhor their methods (because it throws law and due process out the window). Even in stories we typically only consider it acceptable if there is no reasonable doubt about guilt, it is proportional, and/or the local institutions to remedy injustice are not present or are anemic (either in general or against a specific perp).

It is hard to imagine that a *reporter* doesn't understand the meaning of the word vigilante. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if most KKK/neo-nazis/white-nationalists/supremacists consider themselves vigilantes…. But to call them it without context is to appear to factually accept them as vigilantes…. As "doers of justice", however wrong the method….

Edited by sierraleone, 15 August 2017 - 07:44 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#53 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

View PostCait, on 15 August 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

I'm reminded of Andrew Jackson's remarks to Chief Justice John Marshall re: Worcester v. Georgia:

https://en.wikipedia...ster_v._Georgia

And Jackson responded:

In a popular quotation that is believed to be apocryphal, President Andrew Jackson reportedly responded: "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it!"

Thanks for that Wikipedia link. My knowledge of that quote was obviously tied up in a false mythology around the Trail of Tears, though reading the wikipedia biography of the man this case was regarding, it is definitely contemporary to the Trail of Tears. It also looks like this Minister tried to fight the infringement on the indigenous tribe's land in court, so there was some intertwining here of these histories, besides just being contemporaneous.

ETA: I read about the Treaty of New Echota (negotiated by improper/false representatives of the Cherokee) where they "agreed" to give up their lands and move west. After the rest of the tribe found out their proper representatives objected and argued the document invalid. They begged the US Senate to not ratify this treaty. The Senate passed the measure in 1936 by a single vote

It makes one wonder how much injustice has gotten enacted and let stand in law/history/etc by such thin margins…. The Cherokee drew up a petition asking Congress to void the treaty after, and had 16,000 signatures on it, nearly as many people as their whole tribe had at the time….

Edited by sierraleone, 15 August 2017 - 08:53 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#54 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

Where does CNN get its apologists? Especially its black Trump apologists? I can't help but think these guys are paid shills like the surrogates.

I've long known there's something shifty about CNN's pick of talking heads, from the celebrity types like Cuomo and Gloria Vanderbilt's precious little boy, to paid surrogates like Jeffy Lord, but I'm beginning to suspect that all of CNN's talking heads are plants.

That certainly doesn't speak well to newsworthiness or credibility, and reflects badly on the industry as a whole.

#55 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:16 AM

So who saw Trump's press conference yesterday? The hostility in reporters voices as they asked questions is why I call them the anti Trump fake news media. And when Trump pointed out that both sides were violent,  the media literally melted down in anger. Guess the media thinks it is perfectly acceptable for the Antigua fascist left to violently attack people.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#56 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

Jennifer Rubin at it again! WaPo:
https://www.washingt...m=.3a3d763811d6

- Masha Gessen

#57 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 16 August 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

So who saw Trump's press conference yesterday? The hostility in reporters voices as they asked questions is why I call them the anti Trump fake news media. And when Trump pointed out that both sides were violent,  the media literally melted down in anger. Guess the media thinks it is perfectly acceptable for the Antigua fascist left to violently attack people.

Antigua is known for its pristine white beaches and gentle blue bays and lagoons. Fascists, not so much.

#58 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

It's good to see 45 finally acting presidential. I just wish it wasn't presidential of the Confederacy.

#59 Omega

Omega

• 3,985 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

I'm no longer entire

I am no longer entirely convinced you are not a bot.

#60 Cait

Cait

• 10,772 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

View PostOmega, on 16 August 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

I'm no longer entire

I am no longer entirely convinced you are not a bot.

That's so weird, I thought the same "exact" thing when I read it.

Source:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users