• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Trump administrations ends Obama-era protection program fro Central American minors

The Trump administration on Wednesday formally terminated an [2014] Obama-era program that granted Central American minors temporary legal residence in the United States, shutting the door on 2,714 people who had won conditional approval to enter the country.
….
Under the terms, minors who failed to win refu­gee status could come on a two-year, renewable parole if they had a parent already legally present in the country.

I didn't even know about this Program. It started in 2014 responding to a spike in this kind of refugee/immigrant. This program is about 2 years younger than DACA.

If they had a parent who was an American citizen when their child was born the child would typically automatically have a right to American citizenship, so I assume having a parent legally present in the country means has been granted refugee status, or has a green card, or residency status, or something. (What if the parent immigrated, legally, before their child, but their child came before paper was, if it could be, drawn up for the kid?).

So is the U.S. are going to possibly separate these kids from their parents?

Looks like the ending of this program may directly affect approximate 4,100 people.

I heard Trump may be feeling pressure over DACA from Republicans and others, and they've threaten to take DACA to court, which the Trump administration would have to defend if they keep the program.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

Bumping this for the DACA announcement expected from Sessions at 11:00 today.

It is widely expected they are going to bring DACA to a close, but in 6 months, to give Congress time to come up with their own immigration legislation if they wish.

Some dozen or so state AGs promise to fight the WH in court if it doesn't end DACA, and a dozen or so state AGs of other states promise to resist the WH if it *does* end DACA.

Edited by sierraleone, 05 September 2017 - 10:00 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#3 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

Just unbelievable. I mean, it's not, but it is in that in these times, a president would do the things that 45 has done, and still remain president.

From: Trump ends DACA, but gives Congress window to save it

Sessions had determined that the program would not be likely to withstand that court challenge, he said.
"The Department of Justice cannot defend this overreach," Sessions said. "There is nothing compassionate about the failure to enforce immigration laws. Enforcing the law saves lives, protects communities and taxpayers, and prevents human suffering. Failure to enforce the laws in the past has put our nation at risk of crime, violence and even terrorism. The compassionate thing is to end the lawlessness, (and) enforce our laws."

Interesting thing to say, considering it could end the lives of the kids deported, could leave a hole in the community where they live now, is removing a tax payer (future still counts), and is causing extreme suffering of the family being destroyed in this way. But yep, compassionate.

And from the same article:

"President Obama wrongly believed he had the authority to re-write our immigration law. Today's action by President Trump corrects that fundamental mistake," McConnell said in a statement. "This Congress will continue working on securing our border and ensuring a lawful system of immigration that works."

If 45 is "fixing" the "mistake", then he believes that he has the authority to re-write the immigration law.  I see a contradiction.

Also from this article:

"To be clear, what ICE is doing now is what Congress intended, we're actually enforcing the law the way it is written," said a senior ICE official. "(This is t)he first President who's asked us to enforce the law the way it is written and not asked us to have some executive interpretation of the law."

Now we know why 45 pardoned Arpaio.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

I wonder how many DACA recipients there are that are affected by Harvey :(

View PostElara, on 05 September 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Just unbelievable. I mean, it's not, but it is in that in these times, a president would do the things that 45 has done, and still remain president.

From: Trump ends DACA, but gives Congress window to save it

Sessions had determined that the program would not be likely to withstand that court challenge, he said.
"The Department of Justice cannot defend this overreach," Sessions said. "There is nothing compassionate about the failure to enforce immigration laws. Enforcing the law saves lives, protects communities and taxpayers, and prevents human suffering. Failure to enforce the laws in the past has put our nation at risk of crime, violence and even terrorism. The compassionate thing is to end the lawlessness, (and) enforce our laws."

Interesting thing to say, considering it could end the lives of the kids deported, could leave a hole in the community where they live now, is removing a tax payer (future still counts), and is causing extreme suffering of the family being destroyed in this way. But yep, compassionate.

They have to say *something* to make it sound like they are doing the right thing. And to ears afflicted with strong tribalism, it will sound exactly that...

This is a contradiction in ideas too…. The law/legal system is supposed to be *dispassionate*. To try to reduce human biases and administer the law evenly and without favour.
However, we need to use our hearts and minds to recognize when the law is creating unjust situations itself, as we have when it comes to the rights of blacks, women, LGBTQI+. Sessions is suggesting DACA is unjust, but to documented American citizens.

These DACA recipients as have not done anything wrong, except, through no volition of their own, exist in the wrong country.

Edited by sierraleone, 06 September 2017 - 06:10 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#5 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Sessions just said one of the most brain-dead things to come out of his mouth so far. He said, "It would be immoral not to enforce the law and deport illegal immigrants." Conflating an immoral law and an immoral act with some twisted sense of morality smacks of psychopathy.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

Should I thank Trump for regularly creating the conditions to see if my heart still works? Still capable of being broken by unmerciful callousness?

- Banning people who are new refugees and immigrants and travellers.
- Threatening American peoples' healthcare, and consequently their lives.
- Banning people who are transgender from the military .
- Defending, appeasing, and/or emboldening people and groups who are xenophobic and/or hateful.
- Threatening to expel people from their only known home/culture, because their parents broke the law bringing them here.

And all under false pretences or false dichotomies/choices.

If not already, pretty soon Trump's America will have enough groups to fill out there own version of that famous poem "First they came…"

Edited by sierraleone, 06 September 2017 - 09:08 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#7 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

Possible new t-shirt:

Trump's America
       is not
  MY America

Which sounds good, but I live here so loathsome though it is, 45's America IS my America.  For now.  Dammit.
Cats will never be extinct!

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostThemis, on 06 September 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Possible new t-shirt:

Trump's America
   is not
  MY America

Which sounds good, but I live here so loathsome though it is, 45's America IS my America.  For now.  Dammit.

Your American is also his though, and don't let him make you forget it.
Hopefully enough people with a different version and vision of American from his, speaking and carrying out their vision, can make a difference.

- Masha Gessen

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users