• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:20 AM

CNN's Don Lemon made an interesting aside tonight about Trump having the nuclear codes: "What if he decides to nuke us?"

He slipped it in there so innocuously that I almost missed it. Nuke us? As in nuke US citizens? Why would it occur to him, Don Lemon, to say such a thing?

At the same time, something about Trump's "base" statistics has been bothering me. The number of Trump supporters always goes down to around 34%. That percentage is the same as the number of white working-class voters who blame their lot on immigration. Specifically, these are poor white working-class people with limited education. They are also easily fooled, easily led, and are desperate enough to latch on to almost anything, especially things that are simplistic, that have an appearance of truth, however tenuous, that they will align themselves with it like a drug-addict to crack.

So what about it? Trump seems only to care about his base and nothing else. Is it possible, somewhere in that cracked brain of his, that he would like to make all the rest go away?

I don't think Don Lemon let that little nugget drop unintentionally. You don't speak of dropping nukes on your own citizens unless you've heard something to that effect. Whenever the subject of nukes comes up, it's always with regard to Russia, India, Pakistan, North Korea, the usual suspects. No one, to the best of my knowledge, has ever suggested or mentioned the White House using nukes against the US.

If Trump did nuke parts of the US, it would be a limited strike on high-population-density areas, like NYC, like California, like all the other places where Trump supporters and bigots are harder to find.

Russian involvement, clandestine real-estate deals, and a ruling family, suddenly takes on a whole new meaning.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,772 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

I doubt the generals would carry out an order to nuke the US, but I don't dismiss the possibility of simply allowing an attack from another country.  All any President has to do is--nothing.  Just let an attack happen.  You don't even have to engineer it, you just don't stop it.

I don't think #45 would bat an eyelash at, say, Los Angeles being nuked.  I truly believe that he sees non-supporters as enemies.  Enemies he would like to eradicate if possible.  This is a man who hits back at criticism, and who are the biggest critics?  The 66% who don't approve of him.  The people who did not come to his inauguration and fawn over him.  The 2+ million that did not vote for him.  He'd wipe them off the face of the planet if he could, and sleep like a baby.  Which shows you that Godwin's law isn't absolute.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

Maybe if 45 doesn't get budgeting for the wall and Mexico STILL won't pay for it as per the original promise, he can drop nukes along the southern border at 25 or 50 mile intervals, just enough to scorch that earth so no one can safely pass either way for 240,000 years. Christ, I'd better hope he doesn't  read this board! Speaking of reading web boards, Sessions' DOJ dropped their warrant for all the IP's on  that anti- 45 inauguration disruption website, saying the government was "no longer interested". Translation, somebody actually pulled out a copy of the Constitution and read it to Jeffy Beauregard.

Edited by yadda yadda, 23 August 2017 - 02:54 PM.

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:55 PM

^ And at a 1,989 2,000 mile border that is some 4,000-8,000 nukes, that way the US could get rid of its nuclear stock pile (totalling 6,800 including 2,800 retired awaiting dismantlement). Bonus! :p ;)

And think of the money the U.S. would save not having to maintain its nuclear arsenal! Another bonus!
I mean, how could he not?

Edited by sierraleone, 23 August 2017 - 04:09 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users