19 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

Texan ExIslers please check in.

I understand the worst of the winds is over as the storm 'downgrades', but the worst of the rain/flooding issue (other than storm-surge) has yet to come due to storm 'stalling' in place, so please continue to be observant and careful.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

Prayers and positive thoughts for all affected. As well as a Red Cross donation.

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

In all my life I've never seen a hurricane stall because it was sandwiched between two highs.

It seems counterintuitive, in a way. You'd think that highs and lows would cancel each other out.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

And Exisler Houstonians? Or surrounding areas?

I've read that the greater Houston and Galveston area received 24.1" of rain over 24 hours. Just from this alone the wettest August month on record in Houston. And not done yet...
There was conflicting advice and guidance from officials over whether to evacuate or shelter in place….
In a major metropolitan area (4th largest U.S. city IIRC) that has got to be a disaster...

Edited by sierraleone, 27 August 2017 - 06:46 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#5 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

This is really bad.  :(

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:45 AM

I keep wondering if Jupiter's red spot doesn't share characteristics of this storm.

Just an aside: since Jupiter sucks up around 93,400 tons of debris per day, it's safe to say that it has a solid core.

Edited by gsmonks, 28 August 2017 - 02:43 AM.

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

I read the floods should peak Wed or Thu. Besides the rain still falling in Houston there is also lots of rain fallen on land upstream, so that extra water has to work itself thru the river systems.

I had done some quick math in my head on the way to work, and figured there is probably some 90ish women from the Houston metropolitan area typically giving birth each day.

Metropolitan area: 6.3 million.

Edited by sierraleone, 28 August 2017 - 05:11 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

Here is an article about how rebuilding may not go as smoothly as it could otherwise:

WaPo: For Houston's many undocumented immigrants, storm is just the latest challenge.

At 8.7% (twice the national average) illegal immigrants are about 1 in 11, or 12, of people in the Houston metropolitan area.

The article touches on the illegal immigrants being worried about going to shelters or food banks, either for immediate disaster aid or not-so-immediate disaster aid. On Friday Sep 1st a Texas state-law takes effect which will outlaw sanctuary cities in Texas, which threatens local police chiefs with jail time or city officials with loosing their jobs if they don't help the feds do the feds' job to deport illegal immigrants (it is being challenged).

It also talks about the economy often depending on their cheap labour, not just in tourism/services (hotels, restaurants, etc), but also manual labour (landscaping/clean-up, construction), which will be greatly in demand in the rebuilding efforts.

Edited by sierraleone, 28 August 2017 - 07:31 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Texas.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#10 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:56 PM

The amount of precipitation has been staggering, and it's gearing up for another go. Worst-case scenario: If this storm keeps on going long enough, another storm will develop out in the Atlantic and merge with it. If there's enough stored energy in the Atlantic, this could very well happen.

The climate-change deniers are in full brain-dead mode right now, making up stories about how the non-existent "Alt Left" are claiming that this is an active dog aimed at Trump supporters, and other such nonsense. Their latest denial-meme is, "it's just weather".

The great irony is that the climate change people have been completely silent while this event plays out. Probably because when there's an accident, you tend to the injured, not assign blame. I haven't heard one single mention of climate change since Harvey began, except from moron deniers. They seem to think if they shout loud enough, it'll all go away.

#11 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:00 PM

Just how my brain works, but when I hear "Harvey", this image pops into my head. Maybe it has something to do with 45:

Attached Files

Edited by gsmonks, 28 August 2017 - 10:00 PM.

#12 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:20 PM

To me it's kind of mind numbing to think of that devastating flooding and people losing basically everything. It just makes you want to help them as best one can. But it kind of made me shake my head to have CNN interviewing some guy in Houston slogging through hip deep water toward who knows where and the poor guy is saying "it just came with no warning, we had no time to react". Very sorry for your troubles, dude. And I hope you find some safe and dry haven. But I'm sitting here in California watching CNN and MSNBC for three days before Harvey's landfall and I'm hearing nothing but warnings. Dire warnings. 40" to 50" inches of rain coming. Harvey going to stall over Southeast Texas, dumping unprecedented 500 year levels of  rainfall. Massive flooding inevitable. Get the hell out of town, inland and to higher ground. But this guy and others like him had no warning?

#13 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:27 AM

Many of them were told to stay put. The reason given, and they've found this out through experience, is that in high-population areas, it is futile to try to evacuate people because there are too many people and vehicles for all the roads and transit together to handle. All that happens is everything gets jammed up, which makes for a far worse disaster. Emergency vehicles and crews would be prevented movement and access. That sort of thing.

In times of disaster, cities become death-traps. This has been true for as long as big cities have existed.

#14 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

This is not good… WaPo: ExxonMobil refineries are damaged in Hurricane Harvey, releasing hazardous pollutants

The Baytown refinery is the second-largest in the country. The company said in its filing that it would need to empty the tank to make repairs, though it wasn’t clear when the weather would permit that.

An ExxonMobil spokeswoman said the company would “conduct an assessment to determine the impact of the storm once it is safe to do so.” It would not say what was in the tank.
​….
Most of the other facilities belonging to major companies also filed notices with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. Chevron Phillips, for example, said that it expected its Cedar Bayou chemical plant to exceed permitted limits for several hazardous pollutants, such as 1,3-butadiene, benzene and ethylene, during shutdown procedures.

ETA: WaPo is also reporting that about 30% of the county Houston is in (Harris) is under water, and levees are being breached (overflowing) to the west and south of Houston, in what I am presuming/hoping are more rural areas….

Edited by sierraleone, 29 August 2017 - 04:09 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

This is so bad. I live in Texas but several hundred miles from the affected areas but I do have a friend that used to live in Houston and has family there.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#16 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

A group of guys who come to hunt, fish, and duck hunt, from Houston, come to our area every year, and now we're worried about how they're doing, and we don't have so much as a phone number or e-mail address. Shows how one could do a better job of getting to know visitors. I know a lot of Americans who live up to the term "American hospitality", who invite you to come visit them in the States, especially people I know from Florida and Texas.

Texans really are remarkable people.

#17 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

^ What time of year do they usually come up? Though I wouldn't be surprised if they skipped this year, if they have a lot of costly (money and time-wise) rebuilding to do for themselves.

ETA: I was involved in a HEMA group up here in Canada a while back, but moved a few cities away and there isn't any local HEMA group. I was only involved in ordering an item through their group order only once, but their things are made all the way in Texas.
Some of them have more indepth/long-standing relationship with their source I am sure. In my Facebook feed today once of these Texas group posts popped up in my feed as a HEMA person liked it. Apparently people were checking in on them, and the Texas people have had some trouble, but their shop and their people are all okay.

Edited by sierraleone, 30 August 2017 - 09:01 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#18 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:21 PM

Here's the official info:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/...en&n=8AEFB24D-1

On a CTV interview yesterday morning, a Canadian volunteer who asked people why they didn't leave was repeatedly told:

-I don't have a car
-I can't afford the gas
-I can't afford to rent a hotel room or buy food
-I can't afford the bus
-I can't afford a plane ticket

#19 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 30 August 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

Here's the official info:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/.....en&n=8AEFB24D

I hope you or a neighbour hears from them somehow.

View Postgsmonks, on 30 August 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

On a CTV interview yesterday morning, a Canadian volunteer who asked people why they didn't leave was repeatedly told:

-I don't have a car
-I can't afford the gas
-I can't afford to rent a hotel room or buy food
-I can't afford the bus
-I can't afford a plane ticket

I have to shake my head at people who are so privilege and just say "Why didn't they just evacuate?". Some three-quarters of Americans live pay-check to pay-check. They might have *some* frivolous things in their spending, but considering about ~1/6 Americans live in poverty (and a greater number living pretty close to it), typically frivolous spending is rarely the big problem with their finances….

Edited by sierraleone, 30 August 2017 - 09:41 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#20 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

At this point no one has even begun to speculate what will happen if another hurricane hits. The deniers won't even look at the facts and information, such as water temperature, stored energy, air currents and temperatures, etc. Harvey happened because the conditions were right for it. According to the latest info, conditions are still right for it.

This has already been a catastrophe. A repeat performance would be unthinkable.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users