Babylon5 Babylon 5 streaming

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

And I agree with you on the design of the WHITE STAR.  It's always been a favorite ship of mine.

#62 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Islander
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

For me no other show or movie has ever managed to capture the sinister menace of the shadow ships.
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

#63 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

They were pretty spidery.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#64 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:26 PM

And I agree with you on the design of the WHITE STAR.  It's always been a favorite ship of mine.

Same. It's just a really cool design.

For me no other show or movie has ever managed to capture the sinister menace of the shadow ships.

Agreed. So far, B5 has done a great job with the Shadow ships. They have been used sparingly and you know when they show up things are about to get real. Sure, a few have been destroyed but it has taken a lot to destroy them. It isn't a case like the Turok-Han in Buffy's last season, where one of them almost killed Buffy and then in the finale they were being killed super easy.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#65 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:57 PM

Convictions

This was a pretty good stand-alone episode. There really wasn’t any movement on the main mythology but that is okay.

The elevator scene with Londo and G’Kar has to be the highlight of the episode. It was funny and sad and so true to both characters. G’Kar doesn’t mind dying as long as he takes Londo out with him. His attempts to “help” were hilarious. His reaction to when they were saved had me rolling.

Okay, I thought at first Sheridan had put the link up his butt. That definitely seemed like what the scene was hinting at, but it makes more sense if he just slipped it into his underwear waistband or something like that. Still, I cracked up when I saw him shoving it down there.

I wish the actor playing the bomber had been a little less scream-y and maybe a little more subtle. He could have been a truly terrifying individual but instead he came off more comical than menacing.

G’Kar’s line about a convention of mad bombers and how he needed to check the social calendar more often was so funny. I feel that G’Kar has become the new Londo. It was season 1 Londo that palled around with Garibaldi and made a lot of sarcastic comments. Londo is still sarcastic but it always has a darker edge.
The CGI on the zero-G team was pretty good. It seems as if the CGI gets better every season.

It seems as if JMS wants to make sure there is a good balance on Londo. Every time he does something bad he turns around and does something good. Last episode he didn’t bat an eye at splitting the galaxy with the Shadows and here he sits at Lennier’s bedside after the young Minbari saved his life.

Brother Theo and his fellow monks were definitely useful in this episode. If it weren’t for them they probably never would have caught the bomber. I’m guessing they will be sticking around for a few episodes.

I don’t have much more to say about the episode. I liked it and thought it was good. One of the better stand-alone episodes.

A Day in the Strife

I really liked this episode. It feels like one of the few B5 episodes that manages to utilize the majority of the cast.

It is basically four plots running at once. There is the new Narn government representative Na’Far who has come to take control over the B5 Narns and ask G’Kar to return to their homeworld; Sheridan and the C&C crew dealing with the probe that will destroy the station unless they pass an intelligence test; Garibaldi confronting Franklin about his stim use; and Londo setting Vir up with a new job.

It all works quite well. I think that is because all of it, save for the probe plot, is built on what has come before.

The Narn stuff was superb. There are no easy answers to their situation. Na’Far isn’t a collaborator who is using his position to gain perks for himself. Instead he is a pragmatist. He thinks it is better to take care of the Narns now and lull the Centauri into a false sense of security and then resume the resistance. It makes sense, especially with the Centauri massacring 500 Narns for every Centauri killed. His outlook is one that is more long term, and it is backed up by history. The previous Narn resistance took decades to finally drive off the Centauri.

G’Kar’s position makes sense as well. The Narn drove the Centauri off in the first place because they resisted and made life a living hell for the Centauri. G’Kar knows it can work again, even if it does require sacrifice. It does say a lot about him that when he saw the Narns fighting each other that he was willing to sacrifice himself to prevent more loss of life.

The Narns standing up for G’Kar at the end was a great moment, and one that didn’t come out of nowhere. G’Kar has fought for his position as leader of the B5 Narns and won their respect in earlier episodes.

I didn’t even realize that Ta’Lon was the same Narn Sheridan saved back in season 2. The sword should have been a giant clue. I liked that he is back and hopefully he sticks around for a while.

Londo is a very lonely man, and this episode helped to reinforce that. He doesn’t have friends on the station anymore. Vir is really the only one he talks to now. Vir is basically Londo’s conscience, and Londo is sending him away. It is sweet, in its way. Londo does seem to care for Vir, and he sees the toll Londo’s actions are taking on him. Making him the Minbari ambassador is a good fit. I just hope Vir isn’t gone too long.

I have liked how the series has handled Franklin’s stim addiction. It has built up slowly over the past two seasons. There have been no histrionics. No very special after school episodes. I think this episode addressed it rather nicely. Garibaldi has his suspicions and confronts Franklin about it. Franklin says he doesn’t have a problem and Garibaldi lets it drop.

Obviously though Franklin has a problem, even if he isn’t admitting it to himself. He has mood swings and he couldn’t even make it through a day without taking a stim. He then lied about it to Garibaldi.

The drone plot was random but I liked it. A lot of comedy came from this section of the episode, especially the banter between Sheridan, Ivanova, and Corwin. Good stuff.

I knew that the station wasn’t going to explode and that it was highly unlikely they would get access to advanced technology so I knew a twist had to happen. The twist here was pretty good. The probe actually kills the people that are able to answer all the questions and not the ones who can’t. It did make for a somewhat tense ending.

All in all, this was another good stand-alone episode.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#66 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:13 AM

Vir will be back.  He was written out briefly to accomodate the actor co-starring in a sitcom that didn't last.  I forgot the name of the show, though.

#67 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:13 PM

Passing through Gethsemane

We have what is our more or less third stand-alone episode in a row. I do find that surprising since I thought things would be moving at a faster pace by now but I’m not complaining. They have all been good episodes.

The death of personality comes back in the form of Brother Edward, a kind monk who thinks only of others. It turns out he was a notorious murderer and suffered the DOP mind wipe. Now the families of his victims have found him and want to make sure he remembers what he did before they kill him.

This episode works in large part to Brad Dourif, who is great as Brother Edward. He plays the hell out of the character and gets to the heart of a man with two sets of memories that are radically different from one another.

I liked the episode’s theme about forgiveness, and how hard that can be. For Sheridan and the others they only knew Edward as a kind monk. For the family members they knew him as a murderer and didn’t care what he had done in nine years. Sheridan knew the young man as Edward’s murderer and you can tell he was struggling to forgive the new personality of Brother Malcolm.

Lyta returns, now working for the Vorlons which is a big deal. She has been to their home world. Now only that but medically she is in better shape than ever as Dr. Franklin discovered.

I so want to see Psi-Corps find out that Lyta is back, only because I want to see a showdown between them and Kosh. That would be interesting.

Is Lyta acting as a vessel for Kosh? I wasn’t really sure what was happening in that last scene as beams of light left Lyta and poured into Kosh’s environment suit. It also looked like she had gills or something. I guess that lets her breathe in the Vorlon atmosphere.

An unregulated telepath can be a frightening thing as seen here when Lyta probes the Centauri telepath’s mind and threatens Londo with unceasing nightmares. Of course that doesn’t faze Londo, but still.

Once again a good episode with a strong central theme but I am ready for things to kick into high gear.

Voices of Authority

I said I wanted things to kick into high gear and here they do. The corrupt Earth government plot and the Shadow War plot are both advanced in big ways. What is surprising is how fun the episode is even though it is dealing with dark themes.

I always knew the Nightwatch was up to no good and they only get worse here. The Ministry of Peace is labeling anyone who criticizes the government or President Clark as traitors. The laws of due process are being more or less suspended during the current “crisis.” The government is about to be purged of disloyal employees. It is really dark stuff.

At least a few members expressed their discomfort with what they were being asked to do. They aren’t just blindly following Earthgov into this new fascist utopia.
You know, if I had watched this episode when it originally aired I would have viewed Julie as a cartoonish character but unfortunately I have seen a lot of people like her in the Trump administration. People who are willing to tell any lies they need to and are willing to do terrible things because they think it is what is needed. Julie’s talk about how the only homeless people on Earth are those who are lazy and don’t want to work and just about everything else she said echoes what a lot of people in the Trump administration have said.

I did think her blatant seduction of Sheridan was going too far. Sure it was a comical scene and Ivanova’s line of Sheridan “going where everyone has gone before” had me in stitches but it just felt like too much.

Up until this point I didn’t have much of an opinion on Zack Allan. He has just kind of been there and took over as second in command after the first one betrayed Garibaldi and Lou just ceased to exist, apparently.

This episode was the first one to really make the character stand out for me. He is obviously not on board with everything the Nightwatch is doing but he seems to agree with some of what they are saying. Heck, he knows that Garibaldi and the others are involved in something not on the up and up.

His final scene with Garibaldi was great. Garibaldi has trust issues after what happened in the first season and maybe he hasn’t put as much trust in Zack as he should have. Garibaldi knows they can’t trust Earthgov but Zack isn’t privy to that information and correctly points out that Garibaldi has kept him in the dark.

I felt that the episode didn’t handle the bombshell video of Clark discussing assassinating President Santiago as well as it should have. The conspiracy to prove that Clark is a traitor and murderer has been a long running plot and they finally get a smoking gun and it is just dumped unceremoniously in this episode. I’m sure the ramifications of this will last for a long time but I felt it should have had more weight to it.

Draal returns which makes me happy. I love this guy. He is always so funny, and teaming him up with Ivanova was a brilliant idea.

Marcus also returns. I thought the show had forgotten about him. He travels with Ivanova in the White Star to contact a race of First Ones. This Marcus is much more sarcastic and funny than his episode 1 incarnation. I approve.

Ooh, the First Ones are the same species that Catherine ran into back in season 1. Love it. I also love that what should be a big, momentous event is played for laughs as Ivanova uses psychology to get these First Ones to agree to help in the Shadow War. It was hilarious as she used their dislike of the Vorlons to trick them into helping. Really good stuff.

I do wish Julie wasn’t leaving the station. Having a political officer on B5 would add some nice tension to the proceedings. Who knows, though? She could be back.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#68 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:43 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 09 September 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

You know, if I had watched this episode when it originally aired I would have viewed Julie as a cartoonish character but unfortunately I have seen a lot of people like her in the Trump administration. People who are willing to tell any lies they need to and are willing to do terrible things because they think it is what is needed. Julie’s talk about how the only homeless people on Earth are those who are lazy and don’t want to work and just about everything else she said echoes what a lot of people in the Trump administration have said.  

And it's happened many times throughout history, because human nature doesn't change. But it's rather amazing how prescient B5 was in the near term, from the Earth Civil War, to the conflict between two extremist ideologies, to Byron, along with a few other things. This show should really have a higher profile.

Up until this point I didn’t have much of an opinion on Zack Allan.  

Zack develops into a really good character.  He shows the audience how basically decent people can be seduced.

Marcus also returns. I thought the show had forgotten about him.  

Oh, no. He also develops into a great character, in an entirely different way.

Ooh, the First Ones are the same species that Catherine ran into back in season 1. Love it.  
Yes, indeed.  That was one of the three scenes in season one that made me fall in love with this show, and it really paid off.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#69 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:49 AM

Dust to Dust

Bester makes another appearance which is always appreciated. He is such a smarmy villain. In a surprising twist, he is here on a matter that might actually affect planetary security. Will wonders never cease?

I think the two best scenes are when Ivanova is about to kill Bester and when G’Kar is riffling through Londo’s mind. They are both powerful scenes that get to the core of the characters.

Ivanova has always hated the Psi-Corps and now she has even more of a reason to since Bester could discover what the Conspiracy of Light has been up to. What makes the scene work is that she was going to go through with killing Bester. If Sheridan hadn’t walked in and countermanded her order Bester would be dead.

The G’Kar/Londo scene is good because, well it is a G’Kar/Londo scene and those are always good. This one though seems to be a turning point, for G’Kar at least. He finally has Londo where he wants him: at his feet, bleeding, and all his secrets laid bare.

G’Kar learns about Londo’s dealings with Morden and how his post to B5 was considered a joke. He can finally get his revenge when all of a sudden he has a vision of his father, saying that someone has to break the cycle. Then G’Kar sees G’Lan, his deity. I immediately figured Kosh was somehow responsible and he was.

This leads to what could be a major change for G’Kar. He pleads guilty to his crimes and accepts his (rather light, honestly) punishment. We might be seeing G’Kar turn away from the path of revenge he has been on since day one.

I wonder what Kosh’s motivation for all this was. He did save Londo’s life, more or less. I doubt he did it for altruistic reasons. My guess is he is hoping to end the bloodshed between the Centauri and Narn so they can focus their attention on the Shadows.

You know, Bester and Garibaldi do have a lot in common. They are both paranoid men who use their uniforms to intimidate people and both are doing what they believe is right. Of course Garibaldi has lines he won’t cross and will stand up for his morals as we saw last season. Bester doesn’t seem to have any lines he won’t cross.

The two do make for a fun odd couple pairing. They did work well together and did have some funny banter.

Bester has to know that something really suspicious is up with the command staff of B5. They used Minbari telepaths to block him and then forced him to take sleepers. I get that they had to protect their information but this is only going to make Bester more suspicious.

Of course Psi-Corps developed dust and distributed it hoping to make new telepaths. They’re scum.

If Talia really is dead that is so sad. I was hoping she would make a return appearance someday.

I was happy to see Vir return. It seems life as the ambassador to Minbar is suiting him. He still has hopes of saving Londo, even after he sees how Londo treats the Drazi delegation.

Exogenesis

This was kind of a mediocre episode saved by two things: the awesome-ness of Marcus and the funny Ivanova/Corwin sub-plot.

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers plot line started off promising. It had a nice build up, some good body horror aspects, and a decent amount of tension. Then the twist happened. These aliens are basically B5’s answer to the Trill. I don’t mind the twist all that much but it didn’t do anything interesting with the concept.

I did like the focus on Marcus. He has been more or less a background character until now and this shows us what motivates him. He truly cares for the downtrodden on B5 and wants to help them. Considering a lot of characters dismiss the Lurkers and haven’t lifted a finger to give them aid I thought this helped set Marcus apart from the other characters quite nicely.

He is also a smart man and a good fighter. He handles the parasites well (can’t remember the actual name of the species). His sarcasm also shines through in a big way here. He has become a truly well rounded character. This episode made me like Marcus a lot.

I also liked the odd couple vibe of Marcus and Franklin working together. More of that please.

The Ivanova/Corwin stuff was probably my favorite part of the episode. Corwin has been a side character since the first season and has always been there for a lot of the major events so it is nice to see him finally get some focus.

Maybe Sheridan shouldn’t have let Ivanova handle the recruitment for the Conspiracy of Light because she is not good at it. She makes it seem like she is hitting on Corwin and maybe wants sex and then she makes it seem like she is testing his loyalty to Earthforce by asking him if he would turn in anyone who spoke out against the government.

Corwin’s uncertainty about exactly what Ivanova wants of him was hilarious. I loved that he bought the roses and then panicked at the last moment and said he had just found them. Poor guy. He really doesn’t get out all that often.

Then there is the ending, where Ivanova thinks Marcus gave her the roses so she slams them on the table next to him and tells him to keep them. Marcus believes that Ivanova is giving him the roses and that there might be a chance for the two of them romantically. Funny stuff.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#70 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:20 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 21 October 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

Bester makes another appearance which is always appreciated. He is such a smarmy villain.  

My brain cannot accept that Bester and Chekov are played by the same actor.

This leads to what could be a major change for G’Kar. He pleads guilty to his crimes and accepts his (rather light, honestly) punishment. We might be seeing G’Kar turn away from the path of revenge he has been on since day one.  

Pretty much every character on this show goes through some major changes, but none more than G'Kar.

I did like the focus on Marcus. He has been more or less a background character until now and this shows us what motivates him. He truly cares for the downtrodden on B5 and wants to help them. Considering a lot of characters dismiss the Lurkers and haven’t lifted a finger to give them aid I thought this helped set Marcus apart from the other characters quite nicely.  

Marcus evolves nicely as a character.  He is the classic noble hero.

The Ivanova/Corwin stuff was probably my favorite part of the episode. Corwin has been a side character since the first season and has always been there for a lot of the major events so it is nice to see him finally get some focus.

Maybe Sheridan shouldn’t have let Ivanova handle the recruitment for the Conspiracy of Light because she is not good at it. She makes it seem like she is hitting on Corwin and maybe wants sex and then she makes it seem like she is testing his loyalty to Earthforce by asking him if he would turn in anyone who spoke out against the government.

Corwin’s uncertainty about exactly what Ivanova wants of him was hilarious. I loved that he bought the roses and then panicked at the last moment and said he had just found them. Poor guy. He really doesn’t get out all that often.

Then there is the ending, where Ivanova thinks Marcus gave her the roses so she slams them on the table next to him and tells him to keep them. Marcus believes that Ivanova is giving him the roses and that there might be a chance for the two of them romantically. Funny stuff.  
I had forgotten all that.  That was great stuff.  :laughtears:

#71 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,229 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 21 October 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

My brain cannot accept that Bester and Chekov are played by the same actor.

I never realized what a good actor Walter Koenig could be until I saw him as Bester. With Chekov, the accent always got in the way. As Bester, Koenig was fantastic, reminding me of Peter Lorre.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#72 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:14 PM

Doing a rewatch of ANDROMEDA and B5 now.  I always loved this show, and rewatching gave me a deeper appreciation of certain characters.  Marcus and Ivanova being the notable ones.

I met Jason Carter years ago at DragonCon.  One of my favorite people to meet.  He was a ball of energy.  Super fun, hilarious guy.  It's one of those instances where meeting the actor actually made me enjoy his character even more.  (There's clearly a lot of Jason when we see Marcus on screen.)

#73 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:25 AM

Pretty much every character on this show goes through some major changes, but none more than G'Kar.

I am glad to see them all change but especially G'Kar. He is such a nuanced character and I like seeing him be more than the thug he was in season 1.

I had forgotten all that.  That was great stuff.  :laughtears:

It really was. I already liked Corwin and this episode just made me fall in love with him.

Doing a rewatch of ANDROMEDA and B5 now.  I always loved this show, and rewatching gave me a deeper appreciation of certain characters.  Marcus and Ivanova being the notable ones.

Ivanova is fantastic. She is probably my favorite character on the show.

I never realized what a good actor Walter Koenig could be until I saw him as Bester. With Chekov, the accent always got in the way. As Bester, Koenig was fantastic, reminding me of Peter Lorre.

He really is good in the role. I wasn't sure about him at first but he has won me over. Bester is a great character and someone you love to hate.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#74 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:16 PM

Messages from Earth

This episode ramped things up, didn’t it? We have another fight with a Shadow ship and President Clark has declared martial law. Damn.

The revelation that Earth has known about the Shadows, or at least their ships, for several years was crazy. They unearthed a Shadow ship on Mars and it was taken away by another Shadow ship. Now they have found another one on Ganymede and plan on reverse engineering it. Scary stuff.

This is a big episode for Sheridan because it is the first time he has to take overt action against Earthforce. Yes, he was part of the conspiracy to expose Clark but his actions have been more passive. Now though he has to invade Earth space with a secret space ship and destroy a Shadow ship that is technically the property of Earthforce. This is not a step to be taken lightly, and the episode gives it the weight it deserves.

This weighs on Sheridan throughout the episode and culminates in a wonderful scene where he can’t sleep and tells Delenn about how his dad faked the rain so he could sleep before a big exam. Delenn having the computer play a rain sound file so Sheridan can sleep was a sweet moment and deepened the relationship between the two.

Sheridan wasn’t the only character feeling the strain of taking such a big step. Franklin couldn’t really grasp it, either. He doesn’t see how they can take on Earthforce and the Shadows, and he’s not wrong. It is a tall order.

Ivanova is also struggling with it and is taking her frustration out on Marcus. He gladly accepts it and turns it into an opportunity to make Ivanova smile when he makes a chart showing where he stands in the hierarchy.

Once again it is more or less luck that our heroes escape a battle from a Shadow ship unscathed. The White Star is impressive but its weapons are no match against the Shadows, even one that has gone crazy.

Sheridan’s idea to dive into Jupiter’s atmosphere was an insane one but it worked. The ship was destroyed and the White Star got away, though not before getting attacked by Sheridan’s former Earthforce ship.

The heroes win, but it leads to a dark moment. Their attack against the Shadow ship has given President Clark the ammunition he needs to declare martial law. With that, the episode ends.

This was a really good episode and that ending was a doozy.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#75 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:58 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 November 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

The revelation that Earth has known about the Shadows, or at least their ships, for several years was crazy. They unearthed a Shadow ship on Mars and it was taken away by another Shadow ship. Now they have found another one on Ganymede and plan on reverse engineering it. Scary stuff.  

Oh, yeah.

This is a big episode for Sheridan because it is the first time he has to take overt action against Earthforce. Yes, he was part of the conspiracy to expose Clark but his actions have been more passive. Now though he has to invade Earth space with a secret space ship and destroy a Shadow ship that is technically the property of Earthforce. This is not a step to be taken lightly, and the episode gives it the weight it deserves.  

Indeed. And it gets weightier.

The heroes win, but it leads to a dark moment. Their attack against the Shadow ship has given President Clark the ammunition he needs to declare martial law. With that, the episode ends.  
Remember that pivotal moment that I mentioned a while back?  It's coming up fast.

#76 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

Point of No Return

The episode title doesn’t lie. This does truly feel like a point of no return for the show. Everything has been building up to this point and now nothing is going to be the same.

Clark declared martial law last episode and he isn’t wasting any time in grabbing up all the power he can. He is rounding up senators who don’t agree with him and placing Night Watch in command on the colonies and B5.

The Night Watch drama was handled really well. Garibaldi’s scene pleading for his men to rip off the armbands and refuse to take part was powerful, all the more so because no one did. They all just watched Garibaldi rant and rave and then storm off. At least we did see one security officer refuse to join Night Watch, and of course there were still several standing with Garibaldi at the end.

Watching Zack straddle the line between security officer and Night Member has been intriguing but here he sees that he can’t straddle the line. He has to pick a side. At first it looks like he has thrown in with Night Watch. I didn’t think he had truly joined them but his relationship with Garibaldi is strained and he might just want to go along to get along. Instead he makes a hard choice and stands with Sheridan against Night Watch.

Sheridan, on the other hand, is able to delay any truly momentous decisions for the time being. He implements martial law on the station and lets Night Watch take command, at least at first. Yes, he does imprison them all and strip them of power but he is still technically following the rule of law. He hasn’t come out completely against Clark yet. He’s going to have to, and soon.

If I have one complaint about the Night Watch plot it is that as a group they were too amorphous. Yes Zack was a member but he signed up only for the extra cash and never drank the kool-aid. We never had a character that truly embodied the Night Watch creed. I feel like there have been at least three different NW representatives and none of them really stood out all that much.

I did love how Sheridan played the NW members. That scene was pure gold.

G’Kar gets released from prison and hatches a bold plan. The Narn refugees on the station will join the security force and help defend their new home. I truly didn’t see that coming but it makes so much sense. I also loved that G’Kar demanded to be let in on the secret project that Sheridan is working on.

While Londo doesn’t make any big decisions he does get confirmation that his prophetic dream could come true thanks to Lady Morella, the third wife of the late Centauri emperor. She tells him that he will become emperor but he has three chances to avoid his fate. They are all rather vague but I’m hoping JMS knew the specific events they referred to and will have them play out over the rest of the show.

In a twist Lady Morella says that Vir will also become emperor. She doesn’t say which of the two Centauri diplomats will be emperor first; only that one of them will become emperor after the other one is dead. This leads to a funny scene at the end where Londo and Vir don’t want to let the other out of their sight.

Oh, I also thought Londo’s changes to Vir’s reports about the Minbari were hilarious. Poor Vir.

General Hague manages to escape with a small fleet and is putting together a resistance against Clark. The Earth civil war has officially started and B5 will have to pick sides rather soon I would think.

All in all this was an excellent episode. It was a tense, superbly written, acted, and directed episode that raised the stakes higher than ever. I can’t wait to see what happens next.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#77 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:43 PM

Yes, this was a fantastic episode, with Zack coming down on the side of the angels, and Sheridan turning the tables on the Night Watch. The whole B5 Universe is turning upside down.  And that pivotal moment hasn't even happened yet.  :lol:

#78 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

Severed Dreams

That was an amazing, epic hour of television. I was literally on the edge of my seat for basically the entire time. I actually scooted forward in my chair because I couldn’t believe everything that was happening. I think you’d be hard pressed to find an episode that is this good, that shatters the status quo as much as this does, and have it feel as natural as it did here in any other TV show.

So much happened in this episode that I don’t know where to begin. I guess I’ll mention the Shadows first because while they don’t appear in this episode everything that is happening can be attributed to them.

Clark came to power because the Shadows helped assassinate President Santiago. They have been quietly backing his regime this entire time. The Shadows aligned themselves with the Centauri and helped them win their war against the Narn. We now learn that the Shadows have approached most of the races in the League and offered them protection from the Centauri war machine, which has launched a myriad of wars. The various races feel they can easily win those wars with the help of the Shadows. I have no clue what the ultimate goal is for the Shadows but they have played the races against one another perfectly.

This leads me to the Minbari. Here was a race that has had a prophecy that states the Shadows would return and that they needed to be ready. They have seen proof that the Shadows are back and causing problems. Despite this, the Grey Council has decided to wash their hands of the entire affair.

Delenn’s speech to them was epic. She tore into them and made it plain that they had neglected their duties and were no longer fit to lead. When she grabbed the staff and broke it in half I wanted to cheer. It was an amazing speech and scene, and the fact that it looked like most of it was filmed in one take makes it even more impressive.

Mind, it doesn’t hold a candle to Delenn’s speech at the end when she comes roaring in with the Minbari cavalry. I literally did clap and cheer when that happened. It gave me goose bumps.

Then there is the battle scene itself. Simply amazing. The best one the series has done so far. I think what makes it work is the high stakes and emotional involvement. It isn’t empty spectacle for the sake of empty spectacle. B5 is now engaging in a civil war with EarthGov and are having to kill people who were allies and comrades just a few days ago.

There are too many awesome moments in the battle to talk about. It all worked wonderfully.

You know, I think this episode shows why the Narn lost to the Centauri so bad. Garibaldi has his forces using crates as cover and making the invading soldiers come to him but the Narn are having none of that. Instead they just charge directly into the line of fire and get mowed down.

I appreciated that the episode slowed down enough to have quieter moments, and even a few funny ones as well.

Sheridan’s call to his father was one of the quieter moments. Sheridan knows that his decision to break away from Clark’s regime will have repercussions for his family and wants to make them aware of what is going on.

I appreciated that when Sheridan gave the command staff in C&C the chance to leave before the battle someone actually left. It would have been easy to have the nice Hollywood moment where everyone agrees with our heroes but instead we see just how contentious this notion really is.

I did love that Corwin stayed and got a little moment before the big battle. He has become a solid recurring character and it’s nice to see him stand with Sheridan and Ivanova.

The scene at the beginning where Londo criticizes the new Narn officers on B5 only to have one of them throw his words back in his face and delay his departure was perfect.

I did not see the bombing of Mars happening. It was a powerful and sad moment as the citizens pleaded with the pilots not to bomb them because there were children in the dome.

It is sad that General Hague was killed off because his actor went over to DS9 but Major Ryan is a worthy successor. He is keeping the resistance alive while acknowledging the toll this war is going to have.

The storming of ISN was unexpected. The desperation coming off of the reporter who was trying to get across as much information to the public as he could before Clark’s forces broke in was palpable. My guess is ISN is about to become a propaganda machine.

I appreciated that the characters discussed how Clark was able to pull off this coup and keep so many people loyal to him. He has spent a year putting his people in key places and keeping up a steady stream of propaganda about how the Earth isn’t safe.

Things are pretty grim. Yes, the B5 crew won a victory but it was a costly one. Clark is still in charge of Earth. A civil war is now being fought. Most of the other races are at war with one another. The Minbari have been fractured and will be less effective against the Shadows, presumably.

It was extremely gutsy to upend the status quo as much as this episode did and I can’t even imagine what it must have been like to watch this when it first aired. All of the plots that have been building since the first season have just exploded in a huge way and I can’t wait to see what happens next.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#79 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:40 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 25 November 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

That was an amazing, epic hour of television. I was literally on the edge of my seat for basically the entire time. I actually scooted forward in my chair because I couldn’t believe everything that was happening. I think you’d be hard pressed to find an episode that is this good, that shatters the status quo as much as this does, and have it feel as natural as it did here in any other TV show.  

Yep, this is it. The absolute apex of B5-- the center of the novel that everything balances on.  And the episode where Sheridan has his most amazing scene.

Clark came to power because the Shadows helped assassinate President Santiago. They have been quietly backing his regime this entire time.  

Hmm. A peaceful democracy turned into a fascist regime by the secret manipulations of a hostile foreign power. Just one of several ways that B5 was prophetic.  Hopefully reality won't be quite so extreme.

Mind, it doesn’t hold a candle to Delenn’s speech at the end when she comes roaring in with the Minbari cavalry. I literally did clap and cheer when that happened. It gave me goose bumps.  

Me, too. Delenn is amazing and that was a spectacular moment-- and what perfect timing, just when it looked like it was all for nothing.  I also loved the scene after that when the station's population applauded Sheridan.

Then there is the battle scene itself. Simply amazing. The best one the series has done so far. I think what makes it work is the high stakes and emotional involvement. It isn’t empty spectacle for the sake of empty spectacle.  

This is something that is very noticeable in B5.  The space battles aren't between ships, they're conflicts between people, and this was the prime example of that.  There's another similar battle coming up shortly where that is also very evident.

I appreciated that the episode slowed down enough to have quieter moments, and even a few funny ones as well.  

This episode felt like it was about eight hours long.  It was exhausting.  :lol:

I did love that Corwin stayed and got a little moment before the big battle. He has become a solid recurring character and it’s nice to see him stand with Sheridan and Ivanova.  

Yes, that was a great moment for Corwin.

It was extremely gutsy to upend the status quo as much as this episode did and I can’t even imagine what it must have been like to watch this when it first aired.  
Pretty much how it was for you.  I think I watched it every night for at least a week.  :lol:

So what was that pivotal moment for Sheridan that I keep mentioning?  It was the scene where he decided to declare independence from Earth. Everybody is sitting around the meeting table, discussing and shouting and talking over each other, and as the whirlwind of voices spins around him, the camera closes in on Sheridan's face and you can just see him make that decision without even a word.  Boxleitner did an unexpectedly great job on this show, and that is the one moment that really demonstrated how much talent the guy really has and how much he put into playing that character.

#80 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:53 PM

And this episode won the Hugo Award.  It beat out DS9's "THE VISITOR" that year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Babylon5, Babylon 5, streaming

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users