Babylon5 Babylon 5 streaming

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

And I agree with you on the design of the WHITE STAR.  It's always been a favorite ship of mine.

#62 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

For me no other show or movie has ever managed to capture the sinister menace of the shadow ships.
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

#63 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

They were pretty spidery.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#64 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:26 PM

And I agree with you on the design of the WHITE STAR.  It's always been a favorite ship of mine.

Same. It's just a really cool design.

For me no other show or movie has ever managed to capture the sinister menace of the shadow ships.

Agreed. So far, B5 has done a great job with the Shadow ships. They have been used sparingly and you know when they show up things are about to get real. Sure, a few have been destroyed but it has taken a lot to destroy them. It isn't a case like the Turok-Han in Buffy's last season, where one of them almost killed Buffy and then in the finale they were being killed super easy.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#65 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:57 PM

Convictions

This was a pretty good stand-alone episode. There really wasn’t any movement on the main mythology but that is okay.

The elevator scene with Londo and G’Kar has to be the highlight of the episode. It was funny and sad and so true to both characters. G’Kar doesn’t mind dying as long as he takes Londo out with him. His attempts to “help” were hilarious. His reaction to when they were saved had me rolling.

Okay, I thought at first Sheridan had put the link up his butt. That definitely seemed like what the scene was hinting at, but it makes more sense if he just slipped it into his underwear waistband or something like that. Still, I cracked up when I saw him shoving it down there.

I wish the actor playing the bomber had been a little less scream-y and maybe a little more subtle. He could have been a truly terrifying individual but instead he came off more comical than menacing.

G’Kar’s line about a convention of mad bombers and how he needed to check the social calendar more often was so funny. I feel that G’Kar has become the new Londo. It was season 1 Londo that palled around with Garibaldi and made a lot of sarcastic comments. Londo is still sarcastic but it always has a darker edge.
The CGI on the zero-G team was pretty good. It seems as if the CGI gets better every season.

It seems as if JMS wants to make sure there is a good balance on Londo. Every time he does something bad he turns around and does something good. Last episode he didn’t bat an eye at splitting the galaxy with the Shadows and here he sits at Lennier’s bedside after the young Minbari saved his life.

Brother Theo and his fellow monks were definitely useful in this episode. If it weren’t for them they probably never would have caught the bomber. I’m guessing they will be sticking around for a few episodes.

I don’t have much more to say about the episode. I liked it and thought it was good. One of the better stand-alone episodes.

A Day in the Strife

I really liked this episode. It feels like one of the few B5 episodes that manages to utilize the majority of the cast.

It is basically four plots running at once. There is the new Narn government representative Na’Far who has come to take control over the B5 Narns and ask G’Kar to return to their homeworld; Sheridan and the C&C crew dealing with the probe that will destroy the station unless they pass an intelligence test; Garibaldi confronting Franklin about his stim use; and Londo setting Vir up with a new job.

It all works quite well. I think that is because all of it, save for the probe plot, is built on what has come before.

The Narn stuff was superb. There are no easy answers to their situation. Na’Far isn’t a collaborator who is using his position to gain perks for himself. Instead he is a pragmatist. He thinks it is better to take care of the Narns now and lull the Centauri into a false sense of security and then resume the resistance. It makes sense, especially with the Centauri massacring 500 Narns for every Centauri killed. His outlook is one that is more long term, and it is backed up by history. The previous Narn resistance took decades to finally drive off the Centauri.

G’Kar’s position makes sense as well. The Narn drove the Centauri off in the first place because they resisted and made life a living hell for the Centauri. G’Kar knows it can work again, even if it does require sacrifice. It does say a lot about him that when he saw the Narns fighting each other that he was willing to sacrifice himself to prevent more loss of life.

The Narns standing up for G’Kar at the end was a great moment, and one that didn’t come out of nowhere. G’Kar has fought for his position as leader of the B5 Narns and won their respect in earlier episodes.

I didn’t even realize that Ta’Lon was the same Narn Sheridan saved back in season 2. The sword should have been a giant clue. I liked that he is back and hopefully he sticks around for a while.

Londo is a very lonely man, and this episode helped to reinforce that. He doesn’t have friends on the station anymore. Vir is really the only one he talks to now. Vir is basically Londo’s conscience, and Londo is sending him away. It is sweet, in its way. Londo does seem to care for Vir, and he sees the toll Londo’s actions are taking on him. Making him the Minbari ambassador is a good fit. I just hope Vir isn’t gone too long.

I have liked how the series has handled Franklin’s stim addiction. It has built up slowly over the past two seasons. There have been no histrionics. No very special after school episodes. I think this episode addressed it rather nicely. Garibaldi has his suspicions and confronts Franklin about it. Franklin says he doesn’t have a problem and Garibaldi lets it drop.

Obviously though Franklin has a problem, even if he isn’t admitting it to himself. He has mood swings and he couldn’t even make it through a day without taking a stim. He then lied about it to Garibaldi.

The drone plot was random but I liked it. A lot of comedy came from this section of the episode, especially the banter between Sheridan, Ivanova, and Corwin. Good stuff.

I knew that the station wasn’t going to explode and that it was highly unlikely they would get access to advanced technology so I knew a twist had to happen. The twist here was pretty good. The probe actually kills the people that are able to answer all the questions and not the ones who can’t. It did make for a somewhat tense ending.

All in all, this was another good stand-alone episode.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#66 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:13 AM

Vir will be back.  He was written out briefly to accomodate the actor co-starring in a sitcom that didn't last.  I forgot the name of the show, though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Babylon5, Babylon 5, streaming

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users