• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

I keep forgetting to say that the Left isn't given to outrage to begin with. Disingenuous outrage is typically the purview of Righties.

Edited by gsmonks, 04 September 2017 - 11:37 AM.

Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#22 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 29 August 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostLord of the Sword, on 29 August 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 29 August 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

But the point is I never saw a thread by you calling out the Right asking them where was their outrage and how could this racist nutball get that gun and why other murderous racist Right Wing scum are so easily able to get efficient implements of mass destruction to act out their murderous racist impulses. Now you may say yadda that's not fair. Why should I be expected to post threads about my outrage that racist rednecks have easy access to assault rifles and extended magazines? Maybe I don't mind that guns are easy to get. I support the 2nd Amendment! And of course you'd be right. Why should you be expected to write your threads about outrage from my perspective?

Actually no, it IS fair. You're right, I usually don't post, or start, those threads; mainly because I'm fairly certain others here will. While, by and large, when it's the other way around: Say Antifa attacking peaceful people at a rally at Berkley...then there are crickets here. Nobody, but me, seems to start those threads.

You claim BLM wants to end racism against minorities by the police? That sounds great, and is noble. HOWEVER, when part of the group starts chanting "What do we want? Dead Cops. When do we want it? Now" Or the pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon." And the BLM does NOT denounce those chants...well, it's kind of hard not to paint the entire group with a brush, if you know what I mean. Same way I view everyone in the KKK. Or, to better illustrate my point. Those Neo Nazis that were carrying the torches, chanting "Jews will not replace us." Lets, for arguments sake, say there were ONE or TWO people in that march, carrying a torch, but were NOT chanting. I would still paint those one or two that weren't chanting as racist Neo Nazis. Same holds true when BLM stays silent about the wanting of dead cops, and frying 'em like bacon.

Your logic is skewed and invalid on your hypothetical argument about crowd and organizational composition. Let's examine your scenarios in direct comparison. In one march you have a group of let's say 150 Conservatives carrying torches and chanting "Jews will not replace us" and other vile racist sentiments. One or two in the crowd are carrying torches but not chanting, maybe they have laryngitis or they only speak German. You are willing to paint this couple of silent marchers with the broad brush of shared neo-Nazism. I probably would too. Your president would lionize them as fine people.

So now we go to Minneapolis for a BLM march. There are a couple hundred people marching. Up front maybe five, maybe a dozen, maybe even twenty marchers take up the "pigs in a blanket, frying like bacon chant." Fox News films this and beams it into the right wing brain 24/7. The composition syllogism isn't valid in reverse. One, two, or five bad apples don't necessarily spoil the whole barrel. That's a popular fallacy. And I worked as a produce professional for 34 years. I've seen more than my share of apples, bad and good. The bad ones mostly don't spoil or stigmatize the good ones. After you and your right wing bubble sharers watch that small segment of the Minneapolis BLM marchers frying that bacon every night, seven days a week for months you have a manipulated tendency to ascribe the bacon frying chant from the few marchers chanting it to not only the whole rest of the crowd marching in Minneapolis, but BLM marchers and activists nation-wide.

As for your stipulation that some supposedly existing BLM Public Relations office should have issued an apology and condemnation decrying the isolated chants of a relatively miniscule amount of marchers from an isolated march, how many of your Conservative groups stepped forward to distance themselves and condemn the neo-Nazis waving Nazi and Confederate flags and chanting against replacement by Jews? Yes, we had a tepid, insincere, belated, and forced ambivalent response from your president, later recanted. But where was the blanket condemnation by Conservative groups like the Republican National Committee? The Southern Baptist Convention? Daughters of the Confederacy? The Society of the Lees of Virginia? The Virginia Historical Society? Since we haven't heard a peep out of those organizations condemning the neo-Nazis and KKK marchers misappropriating and tainting the honor of the statue of Robert E. Lee to yell their vile racist chants , is it right to paint them with the same brush as that white supremacist scum by association? No, it's not. Any more than it's right to paint the whole of a national BLM movement by the words or actions of a very few.

I've raised some points, asked questions, tried to advance the discussion. And once again we have another Marie Celeste thread by LoTS, abandoned and set adrift. When your thread title demands answers IMO it is incumbent upon the thread originator to reply to responses and requests for clarification about the subject matter. I don't know if we've settled the question of "where is the Left's outrage? But I am interested in why LoTS is so outraged and intransigent in his opinion of BLM and unwilling to discuss it further.

#23 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

Because he trolls, maybe?

Every time I come across this thread, my brain initially says, "Where's the Left's outage?"

#24 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:09 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 03 September 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

I've raised some points, asked questions, tried to advance the discussion. And once again we have another Marie Celeste thread by LoTS, abandoned and set adrift. When your thread title demands answers IMO it is incumbent upon the thread originator to reply to responses and requests for clarification about the subject matter. I don't know if we've settled the question of "where is the Left's outrage? But I am interested in why LoTS is so outraged and intransigent in his opinion of BLM and unwilling to discuss it further.

I left the thread to calm down, before posting again.

Because as I saw it, I tried to see it from a "Liberal point of view".  that attempt by me was apparently seen as "Oh, look, he's weakening." It was a lot more then 5 people chanting they wanted dead cops, and to try em like bacon. As any youtube search would show. The FACT is BLM IS a racist group. They promote one race above others. Antifa is essentially the Left's version of the KKK. I would be very interested to know if the gunman who shot Republicans on a baseball field was a member of Antifa. It seems like something right up their alley.

Edited by Lord of the Sword, 04 September 2017 - 04:10 AM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#25 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:18 AM

^. Your association with FACTS is pretty tenuous, iMO. I guess we can leave it at that.

#26 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 04 September 2017 - 04:09 AM, said:

As I said, "Disingenuous outrage is typically the purview of Righties."

#27 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:37 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 04 September 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

Lots, I meant to comment separately about your need to "calm down" in these threads, but gsmonks beat me to it.. I don't find your frequent manifestations of outrage disingenuous, but certainly contrived and catalyzed by outside sources you're affected by. I think your constant outrage and need for pressure relief after discussing these things is because you are bombarded by information / misinformation purveyors who make their money and ratings jacking up the outrage in folks like you.

You question the outrage of the "Left" because you don't see it manifested about topics you find outrageous. It may be hard for you to understand, but I don't think most people in general get as outraged as you. I think you are an elite level outrager. There are things that do indeed outrage me, leave me seething inside. The damage that's been and being done to our country every day by your president. The fact that supposedly rational people could have voted so enthusiastically for such a clueless bigoted ignorant fool, to put him in charge of our nation for however long he manages to last in there. The dangerous and socially destructive situation we all find ourselves in because of your president and folks like you that voted for him outrages me. But I still post about it and don't get so worked up as to feel the need to "calm down" after discussing these issues. That's all it is, discussion. Agreement and disagreement, a laying out of facts to back ones case and argument. No need to blow a gasket because someone questions your perspective on a group of people's "racism".

In my opinion holding so fast to your idea of the " truth", especially truth you are spoon fed by lying manipulators out to own you and regulate what you think and feel by outraging you is corrosive to both the spirit and functions of rationality and ability to discriminate between objectively verifiable facts and opinionated manipulative vitriol.

Edited by yadda yadda, 04 September 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#28 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

Outrage is a funny phenomenon. The people where I live who get het over nothing tend to be religious types who think their beliefs give them the right to stick their noses into other people's business.

For example, we have a lot of anti-abortion religious kooks around here. There's a sign up the road, put up by a bunch of fat, middle-aged men, showing the face of a young women, looking shame-faced, that says, "She can't abort the memory." These same kooks stage protests from time to time, standing with anti-abortion placards along the highway, trying to get people to honk and show support.

The object of their outrage A) is none of their dog-damned business, B) doesn't concern them; and C) the people in question are notoriously promiscuous (nothing else to do in small-town Saskatchewan), sneaky, deceitful, dumb as a sack of anvils, delight in spreading malicious gossip, and aren't the kind of people I've invite over for tea.

Every last one of them is a Conservative. All of the US terrorists have likewise been Conservatives. Just about everyone who belongs to a Hate group in the US or Canada is likewise a Conservative.

What does that tell you?

#29 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:04 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 04 September 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

Lots, I meant to comment separately about your need to "calm down" in these threads, but gsmonks beat me to it.. I don't find your frequent manifestations of outrage disingenuous, but certainly contrived and catalyzed by outside sources you're affected by. I think your constant outrage and need for pressure relief after discussing these things is because you are bombarded by information / misinformation purveyors who make their money and ratings jacking up the outrage in folks like you.

You question the outrage of the "Left" because you don't see it manifested about topics you find outrageous. It may be hard for you to understand, but I don't think most people in general get as outraged as you. I think you are an elite level outrager. There are things that do indeed outrage me, leave me seething inside. The damage that's been and being done to our country every day by your president. The fact that supposedly rational people could have voted so enthusiastically for such a clueless bigoted ignorant fool, to put him in charge of our nation for however long he manages to last in there. The dangerous and socially destructive situation we all find ourselves in because of your president and folks like you that voted for him outrages me. But I still post about it and don't get so worked up as to feel the need to "calm down" after discussing these issues. That's all it is, discussion. Agreement and disagreement, a laying out of facts to back ones case and argument. No need to blow a gasket because someone questions your perspective on a group of people's "racism".

In my opinion holding so fast to your idea of the " truth", especially truth you are spoon fed by lying manipulators out to own you and regulate what you think and feel by outraging you is corrosive to both the spirit and functions of rationality and ability to discriminate between objectively verifiable facts and opinionated manipulative vitriol.

I do find it interesting that you claim I am fed lies by Fox, yet completely ignore the lies fed to you by the destroy Trump fake news media: like MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CNN, NY Times, etc.

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#30 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:52 AM

^ LoTS, there are factual stats from objective studies that the "information" delivered by Fox News to its viewers and listeners is more consistently inaccurate than other outlets and that Fox viewers are the most consistently misinformed and misled people in American society. It's almost like a cult. But of course you will never accept that, nor do research to confirm or disprove those FACTS because you are inside an unreality bubble created by the deliberate liars at Fox. They design and spread their lies and provocation specifically to anger and prompt outrage in people of your particular belief structure.

Think about it. Who else on this board besides you is so consistently in a stage of political outrage? Always posting inflammatory and outrage producing articles and links and wondering/questioning why there is no drumbeat or groundswell of similar outrage in others? Is it everybody else that's just unaware and uninformed as to these outrageous scenarios you raise? Or is it you? Something to consider, but hard to do when you live on outrage, blaming and condemning others for their "racism" or other faults you make judgment about. It can be clarifying and revealing to consider things in a perspective of scale. You rail against Antifa like it's some horribly threatening anti-American scourge. I agree with you that their tactics and goals are wrong. I condemn any violence they might perpetrate, wholeheartedly. But have they actually killed anybody like the extremists on your side of the political spectrum? Do they brandish guns and shoot their fascist targets or is their violence less lethal like from fists and clubs, maybe tear gas or firecrackers? Take a look at it in the scale of reality, LoTS. How many of these jokers are there out of a population of 330 + million people? Are they truly a threat to cause you this much aggravation and outrage or is your antipathy and constant harping about this infinitesimal micro- segment of our society being ginned up in you by those you listen to and trust? How big of an actual threat is Antifa to you? I'm serious now. How many threads do you post about wrong things that actually do threaten your life, like people who text while driving? Is anyone in this country more threatened by Antifa than by drunk drivers or by lung disease from second hand smoke? But these real threats don't agitate you. And Antifa does. Do you ever wonder why that is? What outside force that ramps up your outrage and concern about something so irrelevant and small in the overall scheme of your life? Just a thought.

Edited by yadda yadda, 05 September 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#31 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Outrage can also a marker of bi-polar disorder, with fits of rage being manic episodes.

Bi-polar is represented in disproportionately high numbers in Alt-Right supporters, right-wing Christians, Republicans, and far-right Conservatives of various stripes. Also, the more Conservative and/or Christian/Religious a person is, the greater their chances of being bi-polar.

Conservatism itself is being more and more linked to being a mental illness over the years. Here's what Psychology Today, the premier publication in this area, has to say:

https://www.psycholo...-mental-illness

#32 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,988 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 05 September 2017 - 03:04 AM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 04 September 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

I do find it interesting that you claim I am fed lies by Fox, yet completely ignore the lies fed to you by the destroy Trump fake news media: like MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CNN, NY Times, etc.

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Both of those statements can be compared against objective reality. Do you have any interest in doing so?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users