Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Hurricane Irma, another category 5 storm.

Irma category 5 storm category 6 storm

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:19 PM

I'm not seeing this storm turning North. The thinking is that latching on to the Florida Panhandle will turn it, but it has already latched on to the island chain Cuba belongs. to. Kind of like a circular saw blade hitting something solid. To me it looks like it's going to hit Louisiana or the Texas border.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#22 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:50 PM

Irma just turned left over Cuba.

#23 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:28 PM

Jose has been upgraded to category 4.

#24 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:31 PM

This just in: another new storm is showing early signs of forming in the Atlantic.

#25 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:35 PM

Here is a current satellite image showing a chain of hurricanes forming behind Irma and Jose:

https://weather.com/...eanweathermap#/!

#26 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

Still not turning North. I think the Right-turn scenario has pretty much come and gone.

It looks like it's going to head out into the Gulf of Mexico and hit New Orleans and Mississippi.

#27 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 08 September 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

^ :)  I see that Irma's got a path up through Georgia, LoTS. Anybody down there saying you'll get it where you are? Maybe as a tropical storm? Hope not. :(

We'll be getting rain from it, but not much else. At least that's what the Weatherman has been saying on local news. Mainly just the rain, some possible flash flooding.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#28 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

Checking in.

I am fine.  Saying we got lucky would be an understatement.

#29 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

^ So glad to hear that.

I heard its tangle with Cuba contributed to the weakening of Irma before it made land fall in Florida.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#30 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:51 PM

That can be said about most hurricanes that come near us.  It's the mountains in Cuba.

What doesn't help us is the horribly hot waters, and it gets hotter every year.  Global warming not happening, my ass.

#31 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

And now there is Maria (Cat 5)… :( Preliminarily looks to avoid Florida (though no guarantee this far out), but many Caribbean Islands are getting walloped again.

Edited by sierraleone, 18 September 2017 - 09:51 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#32 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:43 PM

The hurricanes are forming a chain which originates off the African coast. Ocean temperatures are so high (up to 90F) that this has formed a feedback loop that will continue until these energies are dissipated.

As Jupiter has taught us, assuming temperatures keep rising, a point will be reached where such feedback loops will become a permanent fixture, meaning the areas being hit right now will become uninhabitable.

Edited by gsmonks, 18 September 2017 - 11:43 PM.

#33 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

Not a hurricane, but did you hear about the atmospheric river? Like hurricanes, not an unknown phenomena, though they are not often this size.

Over 5,000 miles (8,000 km) river of clouds and rain (article with satellite picture) spreading from China to British Columbia Canada/Washington State US. Record rainfall expected, along with some flooding, in one of the rainiest parts of North America.

They don't state the width, but from what I understand of BC geography, and seeing some narrower sections across the Pacific, I would guesstimate that it is at least 300-600 miles (600-1,200 km) wide with a bigger arm of a gyre/swirl of clouds in the middle of the Pacific, south of Beringia. Apparently the amount of water vapour they carry is about equivalent the the mouth of the Mississippi river.

- Masha Gessen

#34 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:09 AM

The climate-change deniers still don't get it. I put it down to a lack of education, stupidity, and wilful ignorance.

Climate-change models have predicted just this type of scenario with great accuracy.

The good thing is that dead cures stupid. The stored energy in the atmosphere and bodies of water will make whole areas of the planet uninhabitable. Wiping out the people will take industry along with it. Wiping out industry will fix the problem.

It should also cure overpopulation in the long run.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users