Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:04 PM

Quick links to parts of this thread:
- For who to contact and how, click here
- For details of twitter campaign, click here
- For updates during the first week of the twitter campaign, start here (or posts 5 -19)
- For behind the scenes & industry insights, click here
- Ongoing information after week one: starts on page 2

Outside link:
- the petition

So as some if you know, SyFy channel has cancelled Dark Matter after 3 seasons.  The creator / show-runner Joe Mallozzi has a 5 year plan for the show, plotted out from the beginning. All the character arcs, where they start, where they end up, and how they get there.  All the many plot threads, how they progress, how they come together.  After 3 years, we have seen the complexity and scope, and begun to see hints as to how the seemingly unrelated plots intersect.  

Joe knows where the story is going.  He deserves a chance to tell the rest of his story, and we the fans deserve to see what is in store.  

I can not fathom why SyFy would cancel such a popular show.  The ratings were very promising. It was the most watched weekly scripted show on the SyFy channel.  DVR / time delay viewers increased this ratings by 200% - 300%, putting it in the top five for DVR ratings increase for ALL OF CABLE!  It has lost only about 10% of its viewers each year, the industry average is more like 25%.  And yet they cancel this and renew the other shows that aired with it.  And ordered Sharknado 5.  Joe Mallozzi guesses it is because SyFy does not own it, and therefor earns less from it than the other shows.

The message seems to be that SyFy is not going to change their minds, but that the show is strong enough that someone else may wish to buy it and produce new seasons!  Netflx, Amazon, Hulu, TNT, AMC ... who else can you think of???

So this is not just a plan to save the show, but to find a new home for Dark Matter!

I love Dark Matter, and I love the characters, every last one is adorable!  They feel like family to me, and my favorite scenes are the little family moments among the crew, the meals, the little chats.  To many shows neglect the small character moments in favor of plot or action.  But Dark Matter is packed with those too!

But anyway, enough of my chatter, on to what you can do! :)

Important note, according to Joe, we only have a few weeks to get this done, before the studio rent runs out and the sets get torn down, and the cast and crew begin to find new jobs.  Luckily some places have shown some interest, and noticed the massive fan response!  Lets keep it up!  Details to follow on how to help!

(I will update this first post with links to later posts, to make everything easier to find.) :)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 09 September 2017 - 05:22 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

First I have to mention this petition.  Currently at 31,843 signatures and counting!!!  :D

https://www.change.o...matter-season-4

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:06 PM

Netflix

Netflix is probably the most promising candidate to pick up the show, as seasons 1&2 are already streaming on Netflix in US and Canada, so they already have viewers and could just add the new seasons.  Also Dark Matter has all those time delay viewers, which should be very appealing to Netflix.  I would think that time delay viewers would be just the same as regular viewers to Netflix!

Here is a post detailing the best ways to contact Netflix:

Message from the re-homing Dark Matter Committee

Do you want to help get Dark Matter on Netflix? Act now! We need to let Netflix know that we want more Dark Matter, and Tweeting won’t be enough - we need to contact Netflix directly. We need to get them as many requests as possible.
Time is of the essence; contact Netflix today!

•Call 1-866-579-7172
•Email pr@netflix.com
•Fill out the form! https://help.netflix...en/titlerequest
•If you are a Netflix subscriber - watch and rewatch Seasons 1 and 2

Please tell everyone you can to do this. We need to be heard that we want the show on Netflix, and we need to have the numbers to prove it’s worth it to them!

If you email or call, frame it not as “saving” Dark Matter but instead of think of it in terms of why Netflix should want Dark Matter. It’s a great show with a fantastic overarching plot, great characters, a diverse cast, a solid 2 more seasons of story, and a lot of fans! Let them know you want them to support Seasons 4 and 5!

And follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/the_tabula_raza to keep up with the latest news about getting Dark Matter a new home!

So go ahead and tell Netflix why you think Dark Matter is a wonderful show, and how they would benefit from producing new seasons!

I have seen a few comments comparing which method to use for contacting them.  It is possible that the request form is only for existing content, not for producing new, but not sure.  Try it anyway, it can’t hurt!  :)  Also, some people sending an email are getting back a form letter saying that the email address is only monitored for press releases, so not sure if that way works.  But apparently phone calls are logged and counted!  So maybe phone calls are the best?  Try something at least!

If you are not currently a Netflix subscriber, tell them that you would sign up if they produce new episodes of Dark Matter!!!  New subscribers are what they want the most!!!

And don’t forget: “If you are a Netflix subscriber - watch and rewatch Seasons 1 and 2”!  They track these things!

---
Update: 9/9/17

I am told that the Netflix request form is a valid method!  Every Dark Matter fan should fill this out!  :D

Fill it out just like this:

form - DJOko0rUQAAtne8.jpg

---

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 09 September 2017 - 05:13 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

To anyone on Twitter, this is a big one!  Network execs keep track of trends on social media, and how many people are discussing something.  So there is an organized campaign to have fans use Twitter in a coordinated way, so that Twitter’s algorithms will announce us as “trending”.

They are calling these twitter events “Dark Matter FTL Drives”.  They are doing one each night for practice, working up to a mass re-watch and tweet storm on Friday night.  

There are lots of specifics as to how this works, and what works and what doesn’t.  Here is an early page explaining the plan.  The have done a few practice runs this week, and have refined the methods.  It is all being coordinated here.

In essence, here are the rules: 1) Twitter’s algorithm for trending only measures tweets with one #hashtag, not several.  2) It has to be the the same hashtag used by as many people as possible at the same time. 3) It has to be a unique hashtag that has not been used before, or it will not trend!

To this end, the organizers are doing the following:  1) They arrange a set time for the Twitter mission each day.  2) They announce that day’s hashtag shortly before the set time, so that is doesn’t get used too early.

The 2 trial runs so far have been awesome, with several lessons learned:

On Tuesday night, the tag was #DunkintheCosmicDonut.  :lol: Here is one of the funny things to come out of that one.  :lol:  One lesson learned though, was to pick a shorter hashtag.

On Wednesday night (last night), they did #itsbubbatime!  :D  Lots of fun interactions and pics that time!  By the end of the planned hour, it was officially trending in Canada!  And it continued trending for over 3 hours!!!!  :eek:  And that was still a practice run!  :cool:  :clap:

They have been doing this each evening starting at 9pm eastern.  Everyone has to participate at the same time, so convert that to the appropriate time to your location.  Unfortunately that does mean that it will be 2 or 3 am for fans in certain parts of the world, but if you can be on Twitter at that time, please help out if you can!  If you come in later, you can help it continue to trend after the hour!

Tip 1: Add pics and gifs to your tweet!  They get more responses and re-tweets!  That helps them trend!  To that end, Tom Gardiner at threeifbyspace.net shared this:

Did you know tweets with images get a lot more reaction than tweets without? Well, I have you covered! I’ve got a collection of nearly 300 animated GIFs from Dark Matter that you are free to download and use as you please. Yeah, just click on that boatload of hyperlinked text to access them and use them in your tweets, Facebook posts, wherever you like. Go nuts!

:cool: :D

Tip 1: Re-tweets are as good as new tweets for trending!  Post whatever you like, and when you run out of steam, retweet others who are participating!  Just make sure:  you only re-tweet entries with the correct hashtag, and only one hashtag.  Also, for the trending event: Just press re-tweet!  Do not add a comment!

The first day, people were supposed to include @netflix in their tweets.  On night 2, they were asked to hold off on targeting networks, to keep it as a practice run and save it for Friday.  I think the instructions as of today (Thursday) are to add @netflix to all your posts (even outside the event).  

These things evolve, so always check for the latest instructions.  They are planning something special for Friday’s mass re-watch!!!!  I will try to update here with any new instructions, but I might miss things.  Check twitter to be sure!

Last practice run tonight!

Summary:  
- Follow the instructions, and use the assigned hashtag at the correct time.  
- Make sure to only use one hashtag during the drive.  That is only one hashtag per tweet, don’t even add #darkmatter!  (But do include the words Dark Matter!)
- Do not use the hashtag for trending before the start time!  Not at all and not even a minute before!
- If you only have a few minutes to stop by, re-tweet some things!  It helps!
- Outside of the events use any hashtag you want: #DarkMatter, #RazaCrew, any other you want.
- During the Twitter events use & re-tweet only he hashtag for that event!

Remember, the primary source of info is @DarkMatterFTL!  Oh, and I am @5ciFiGirl!!  :D

Tonight’s theme is: talk about your fav moment from Season 3!

SFG

FTL Drives - DJJjwXEVYAAKDpR.jpg_large.jpg

plan p1 - DJJkimzVoAAWFGe.jpg plan p2 - DJJkjjYUMAA3HEr.jpg

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

LOL!!

Tonight's tag!

Posted Image

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,830 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

Well, there's a tag I can support.  :lol:

I hope I put the @'s and the #'s in the right places.  :unsure:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,830 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

I seem to have done it correctly.  I got a couple of retweets.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:45 AM

#BoobsAndBlasters

Amazing run tonight, there were “more tweets, more retweets, more replies AND more tweets per minute!” than the night before!  Lesson learned though:  it didn’t officially trend, probably because twitter excludes “boobs” from trending! :rolleyes:  (It’s probably a good thing.  If they rewarded that, no one would ever post anything but “boobs” again!)  :lol:  But I know everyone had a blast, and it got lots more people involved, so it’s cool!  :cool:

Also, I just figured out that if the tweet starts with @name, it only shows in the “replies” column.  RJ, you and I both did that last night, though I'm sure it still showed in the hashtag.  Good thing for practice runs!  I will put the @netflix later in the text next time.  Also, I will test pre-scheduling tweets with tweetdeck.  ;)

Oh yeah, even though boobs didn’t trend, “Dark Matter” was trending for words with no #!  :cool:  So next event, remember to include the words Dark Matter just like that: two words, a space, and no #.  :)

RJDiogenes, on 07 September 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

Well, there's a tag I can support.  :lol:

I hope I put the @'s and the #'s in the right places.  :unsure:

RJDiogenes, on 07 September 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

I seem to have done it correctly.  I got a couple of retweets.

Yep!  It looks good to me!  For reference:

“Example of a correct tweet format: We need @netflix to allow the Dark Matter story to finish in S5. #TonightsHashTag”

Example with no picture

Example w/pic

Example w/gif

Oh, and pics & GIFs do not have to be Dark Matter related to help the twitter events!  Anything that gets attention to the hashtag will help!

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 08 September 2017 - 03:02 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,830 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:50 AM

Sci-Fi Girl, on 08 September 2017 - 02:45 AM, said:

Amazing run tonight, there were “more tweets, more retweets, more replies AND more tweets per minute!” than the night before!  Lesson learned though:  it didn’t officially trend, probably because twitter excludes “boobs” from trending! :rolleyes:  
Oh, for Pete's sake.  :mellow:

Also, I just figured out that if the tweet starts with @name, it only shows in the “replies” column.  RJ, you and I both did that last night, though I'm sure it still showed in the hashtag.  
I wondered about that.  For a few minutes I thought it didn't really post, because it didn't show up in my regular feed and I couldn't see it when I clicked on the hashtag to get a list.

Oh yeah, even though boobs didn’t trend, “Dark Matter” was trending for words with no #!  :cool:  So next event, remember to include the words Dark Matter just like that: two words, a space, and no #.  :)  
Yup, I did that.

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:39 PM

Here's proof!
Dark Matter apparently did trend for 2.5 hrs last night even though #BoobsAndBlasters didn't

DJNL7DZXoAIkwv4.jpg_large.jpg

:thumbs-up:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

Is everybody ready for the big night?  We've been practicing all week, and it has all been leading up to tonight!  :insanosmile:

ftldrive-rules-simple1.png

This is when it really counts!  Tweet!  Or just retweet everything you see with the tonight's tag!  Ask your friends to help out!  Here are the start times in different time zones:

DJMt2YkW0AAPSiU.jpg_large.jpg

One tip that I only figured out late last night: when you click on the hashtag, at first it only shows the top 30 tweets or so, even if there are thousands.  But there is a row of tabs at the top of the page, like this:

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 5.46.41 PM.png

It starts out with "top" selected, once you click on "latest" the way I have, everything shows up.  Though, I can't make it show anything more than "top tweets" on the mobile version, and I'd like to tweet from my couch.  Any advice?

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,830 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

Sci-Fi Girl, on 08 September 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

Nice! We're right up there with Barack Obama and the Borg.  And, uh, Mark Wahlberg.   :lol:

Sci-Fi Girl, on 08 September 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

Is everybody ready for the big night?  We've been practicing all week, and it has all been leading up to tonight!  :insanosmile:  
Only the hashtag?  So no Netflix or cartoon?

It starts out with "top" selected, once you click on "latest" the way I have, everything shows up.
Ahh, that's where they are.

Though, I can't make it show anything more than "top tweets" on the mobile version, and I'd like to tweet from my couch.  Any advice?  
Beats me.  I'm an absolute beginner at Twitter.  :shrug:

#13 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

RJDiogenes, on 08 September 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

Sci-Fi Girl, on 08 September 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

Only the hashtag?  So no Netflix or cartoon?

Oh definitely add @netflix and a pic, they just mean no other hashtag but the trending one.  :)  Here is the format:

“Example of a correct tweet format: We need @netflix to allow the Dark Matter story to finish in S5. #TonightsHashTag”

Example with no picture

Example w/pic

Example w/gif

Oh, and pics & GIFs do not have to be Dark Matter related to help the twitter events!  Anything that gets attention to the hashtag will help!

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

Tonight's hashtag will be announced at 8:15 tonight!  Or 45 minutes before the time in your location!  Use the time to start thinking up clever tweets!

Stay tuned to find out, or check @DarkMatterFTL!  :D

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

Here's tonight's hashtag!  Don't use it before it's time!

image.jpg

Start thinking up tweets!

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 10,830 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

Sci-Fi Girl, on 08 September 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

Oh definitely add @netflix and a pic, they just mean no other hashtag but the trending one.  :)  Here is the format:
Okay, cool.  I thought I was getting mixed messages.  :lol:

Sci-Fi Girl, on 08 September 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

I have to be clever?  :unsure:

#17 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

Woo that was insane!  What a party! :timewarp:

We certainly went all out to #RockTheRaza all night!  We were trending in several countries after only 15 minutes, and continued for several hours!  Not only that, but our's was the second highest trend in Canada, and 4th place in the US, and stayed that way for most of those hours!  :woohoo:

And sometime in the evening (11 or 12?) we passed 100,000 tweets on the hashtag!  And still it kept going!!!  :eek3:  I have no idea just what time those things happened, I was too busy tweeting and retweeting to know!  I helped keep it going as long as I could, I tweeted / retweeted until I couldn't see or type anymore!  :fallover:

A bunch of people landed in what is known as "twitter jail".  That is when you post more that a certain number of tweets, and your account is locked for a short time (an hour maybe?) to prevent bots.  They say the limit is 100 tweets in an hour, or 1000 tweets in a day.  During one of these events, getting put in twitter jail is seen as an accomplishment, a badge of honor, even a goal!  One person even managed twitter jail twice in one night!  :clap:

Lots of lost sleep, as it kept on going through the night.  There were plenty of tweets lighting up Europe, even though it started in the middle of the night there!  :cool:  For the US, some of the participants had to get up this morning and go work in Hurricane evacuation centers!

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

Some charts:

Comparing the nights: (looks like this was before it passed 100,000 tweets!)

comparison - DJQWbA1X0AAB4Ot.png_large.png

And a map, with tweets lighting up around the world!  This is a time lapse for the first hour.  You will have to click here to see it, because I can't seem to post it here.  Check out how bright it is in North America and Europe!  See how many dots there are around the world!

The funniest is that one dot in the middle of the ocean, off South Africa!  Three theories were presented: 1) "some smartarse who set their location for the middle of nowhere." :lol:  2) "There was someone who claimed to be tweeting from a plane." And "There's an island just about there."

Then came the silly guesses:  "That red dot in the ocean is the Raza :)"  And I said "Or someone on Atlantis really wants more Dark Matter!"  :howling:  And Joseph Mallozzi liked that one!  (And probably lots of others. ;))

Also, this comparison for Europe.  :)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 08 September 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 08 September 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

I have to be clever?  :unsure:

Preferably, yes!  :)  The thing is that retweets count the same as original tweets.  So you want your tweet to be retweeted by as many people as possible.  The more interesting / funny etc the tweet, the more likely people are to retweet it!  That's where all the GIFs come in, so I think you are covered with the cartoon.  :cool:

The general idea with these tweet storms is to post as many tweets as you can, for as long as you can, and retweet everything you see!  Tweet until your fingers and butt are numb!!  :howling:

Also: retweets count toward trending, but I believe likes do not.  FYI

I think everyone knocked themselves out on this one, and it was a huge success!  Here is the plan for the upcoming week:

DarkMatterFTL‏

Another event like 2nite next week; casual tweeting for the week.
12:10 AM - 9 Sep 2017

DarkMatterFTL‏

We may put out some fun ones.  We've all earned a little break, but not too much.
12:12 AM - 9 Sep 2017

SFG :thumbs-up:

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 09 September 2017 - 04:56 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#20 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

This post will contain behind the scenes info from Joseph Mallozzi's blog.  For now I need a placeholder to link to in the first post, before the edit window ends.  :)

Edit: I have updated the links in the OP to other parts of this thread.  Also, I added some info to the netlflix request post.  :D

Edit 2: I did not have time to post the blog excerpts in this post during the edit window.  When I do post those, it will be somewhere on page 2, at least halfway down the page.  Sorry.  :)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 11 September 2017 - 03:58 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter, Fan campaign

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users